PDA

View Full Version : Borat!

Homer
11-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Okay, so today, my friend and I were outside snowskating (to the max!) and I remembered that I saw that Borat was playing today, so I just mentioned that we should go see it. We decided that we wouldn't be able to get anyone to drive us there (we can't take a bus, because we live outside the city), so we decided not to go. Anyways, long story short, my mom mentioned that she wanted to go see a movie (she ended up seeing that Tim Allen Santa Clause movie...), so we got her to drive us... lawl.

We got to the theater about 45 minutes before the movie started, and holy fuck, was it packed. It took us 10 minutes to get our tickets, and we wandered around awhile while checking out this one line, which happened to be the one for Borat. My god, the line went from the actual theater, and ended outside the doors. So, we waited in line. We were contemplating about waiting for the next show, about 2 hours later, but we stuck with our initial plan, and out of luck, we found 3 seats right near the back. Finally, the movie started.

First of all, I must say this: Holy fuck. By that, I mean that this movie is comedic genius. When the movie starts up, you think to yourself "God damn, this better not be one of those movies that starts off good, then ends with shit." I was thinking that, but then about half way through, I realized it was going to continue uphill. I mean, the stuff you see in this movie, is just, you can't comprehend how they come up with this stuff. I don't want to give anything away, but this movie is just... so... god damn good. It's not really scripted, but you can tell that they put some thought into what they were going to do with the result of what happened before, and you can notice when someone was in on the whole thing and was just doing some shitty acting (which happens rarely), but it's still funny as hell. Anyways, go see this movie. No one should miss this movie. I can definitely say this is the greatest movie I have ever seen... and uh, go early. The wait is definitely worth it.

0r4ng3
11-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I came back from seeing this movie a few hours ago. It's awesome, I say.

And yes, the theater was packed.

coke_a_holic
11-04-2006, 09:02 PM
It was niiiice!

High five!

Apathy
11-04-2006, 09:04 PM
It was good, but it wasn't that good. The whole documentary type aspect part of it annoyed me, although it was a very funny movie.

I would recommend seeing The Departed over it, unless you're really into comedies.

Homer
11-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Oh man, that man is a genius. Though I must say the telegram reader's expression was great too.

Oh and yes, high five indeed.

EDIT: I do think that it was that good, and the documentary style is what made the movie so great. But, I take it you're not too into comedies?

Izie
11-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Was there enough anti-semitism?

coke_a_holic
11-04-2006, 09:09 PM
The jews shape-shifted, give them more money!

Apathy
11-04-2006, 09:10 PM
I love comedies.

But as I said before, the documentary aspect annoys the hell out of me. I love being able to see a movie, and get so into it that you forget you're watching a movie.

With a documentary, that's impossible.

So yeah, I laughed a lot, and it was worth seeing. But I don't think I'd pay money to see it again.

EDIT: as for the jew comment, that quote in the beginning of the movie is hilarious. "Kazakhstan has problems. Economic, Social, and Jew".

0r4ng3
11-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Was there enough anti-semitism?
Oh, yes there was. The Running of the Jew, anyone?

Izie
11-04-2006, 09:11 PM
Must. See. Tomorrow.

(anti-semitism makes this Serb wetter)

Homer
11-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Oh, I must add that it had the GREATEST fight scene ever.

And yeah, the Running Of the Jew was awesome... only because of the kids beating the egg.

0r4ng3
11-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Oh, I must add that it had the GREATEST fight scene ever.
Um, yeah...it certainly was something.

Apathy
11-04-2006, 09:17 PM
I find it funny that Baron Cohen and the movies director are both jewish.

HornyPope
11-04-2006, 09:19 PM
I find it funny that Baron Cohen and the movies director are both jewish.

What's funny about it?

XYlophonetreeZ
11-04-2006, 10:14 PM
I gave my opinion on this in the movie thread. I mention this because I would like to participate in a discussion of this movie if one arises, but I don't feel like repeating myself.

And yes, tons of anti-Semitism. Strangely, I think I laughed less at the anti-Semitism than the anti-everything else.

calichix
11-04-2006, 10:47 PM
I was gonna see that tonight but it was sold out up until 2 AM. That's like four showings.

Endymion
11-04-2006, 11:28 PM
it's good, but the stuff from the tv show is better. the character seems to have lost focus and goes for too many cheap laughs.

Betty
11-05-2006, 12:32 AM
Soooooold out. Big boo to that.

Venom Symbiote
11-05-2006, 01:05 AM
I haven't seen it yet, but all of Baron Cohen's characters are genius.

Borat on the TV skits was pure awesome, and he was funny as hell on Conan the other night (disturbing stuff), so I'll probably catch this next week sometime.

So the general opinion is that the TV show is still superior?

Idiot
11-05-2006, 02:46 AM
I'd say generally, the TV sketches were more consistently funny, but the movie does have some outrageously funny parts, some stuff I can't believe he got away with, which adds to the comedy factor. There was some absolutely classic bits in that film, just brilliant.
Everyone should see it.

Oh, and the fact that Baron Cohen's british makes it even better.

H1T_That
11-05-2006, 02:51 AM
Borat is the worst of the T.V show character in my opinion, the gay german is way funnier. Anyway, i ain't seen the movie yet, so can't really comment.

wheelchairman
11-05-2006, 03:18 AM
What's funny about it?

Jews controlling hollywood.

JoY
11-05-2006, 04:57 AM
I'm not sure what to think about this Borat character. I do know his announcement for the film was pretty funny; "my country send me to United States to make movie film. please you come see my film. if my film not success, I will be execute. *worried smile*" (or something like that)

nieh
11-05-2006, 05:01 AM
I've never seen the show but I was going to go see this last night with some friends. Unfortunately only half the places in the area had it and they were all sold out.

leo3375
11-05-2006, 08:11 AM
I saw it last night and though there were some parts that were painful to watch, it was very funny. Just remember that Borat is outing people as the racist, sexist, anti-Jewish, homophobic morons they truly are.

Tijs
11-05-2006, 08:19 AM
I'm seeing it tonight. I'm pretty sick of all the interviews with him being exactly the same, so it's time to see something new; the movie.

Borat is the worst of the T.V show character in my opinion, the gay german is way funnier. Anyway, i ain't seen the movie yet, so can't really comment.I agree, but the gay thing isn't movie material, Borat is.

Endymion
11-05-2006, 09:49 AM
I saw it last night and though there were some parts that were painful to watch, it was very funny. Just remember that Borat is outing people as the racist, sexist, anti-Jewish, homophobic morons they truly are.

not in the movie. or at least they make up the minority of scenes. it's mostly cheap jewish jokes or staged shit.

Idiot
11-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Borat is the worst of the T.V show character in my opinion, the gay german is way funnier. Anyway, i ain't seen the movie yet, so can't really comment.

I think he's Austrian. And I don't really find him funny, ;)

Venom Symbiote
11-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Actually...the gay Austrian fashion-designer dude? I forget the character's name, but they are making a movie about him. Cohen's just been signed. They must have known Borat would have a successful first weekend, since they gave him a second contract last week. [/movie news headline geekiness]

Oh, and the fact that Baron Cohen's british makes it even better.

Haha. Mind explaining why? :p

Idiot
11-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Well, aside from all the crazy shit he does, nearly everyone finds him funny = british sense of humour wins. ;)

Little_Miss_1565
11-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Jews controlling hollywood.

Borat's Jew-jokes are not your usual run of the mill Jew-jokes. The laughs come from the behavior he elicits from everyone around him. Time after time, he gets Americans on camera basically excusing his ridiculous and unacceptable behavior because he's nonwhite, non-American, and non-English-speaking. His presence around and interactions with people bring out the worst in them--which is probably a more accurate depiction of who they really are.

Endymion
11-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Borat's Jew-jokes are not your usual run of the mill Jew-jokes. The laughs come from the behavior he elicits from everyone around him. Time after time, he gets Americans on camera basically excusing his ridiculous and unacceptable behavior because he's nonwhite, non-American, and non-English-speaking. His presence around and interactions with people bring out the worst in them--which is probably a more accurate depiction of who they really are.

have you seen the movie? because at least half the movie is NOT like that (unfortunately). instead it drops down to using pre-scripted scenes and narration for the majority of the jokes. it's really sad, because almost every borat from da ali g show was brilliantly executed, but this movie doesn't do it justice.

Little_Miss_1565
11-05-2006, 09:39 PM
I just saw the movie tonight. Yeah, a lot of it was pre-scripted and not as brilliant as the show, but there were some real moments--like when the guy at the rodeo takes Borat aside and tells him to shave his moustache so no one mistakes him for "one o' them Muslim terrorists." Or the bit with the frat boys.

HornyPope
11-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I didn't appriciate much the scripted scenes either.

coke_a_holic
11-05-2006, 11:30 PM
I'm glad I've never seen the actual show, it probably would've ruined the movie for me. Hurray for not having HBO or enough time to youtube the episodes!

ninthlayer
11-05-2006, 11:42 PM
I've watched one of the Ali G dvds and I still found Borat hilarious. I mean, even the scripted stuff was funny (the fight, bear, and Kazakhstan scenes).

The best part was probably the rodeo, which wasn't scripted. The Pentecostals were awesome also, as their style of worship is just absurd to begin with.

coke_a_holic
11-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Yeah, as XYZ said, the funniest scene was probably the one with the bear and children. I think I laughed so hard that I cried around then.

Little_Miss_1565
11-06-2006, 05:18 AM
"My moustache still tastes of your testes!"

wheelchairman
11-06-2006, 05:25 AM
I thought it was still hilarious. The scripted and non scripted. The naked wrestling completely threw me off guard. And when he brought the black prostitute to that fancy dinner. That was just the best.

Tizzalicious
11-06-2006, 06:03 AM
I loved it too, I haven't laughed this much while watching a movie for a long time. Eew @ naked fat man though, woah.

arak0r
11-06-2006, 01:07 PM
saw it opening night. funniest movie ive seen in ages. even the lil scripted bits were hilarious imho. the shit with the christians or whatever trying to heal him was gold, the wrestling was gold. the pamela anderson bit was gold. the bear with the kids as well. shit i love this movie

Isolated Fury
11-06-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm afraid of seeing it, even though I really want to. I just don't want it to turn out like another Napoleon Dynamite.

0r4ng3
11-06-2006, 05:38 PM
I just don't want it to turn out like another Napoleon Dynamite.
Don't worry, this movie is actually funny.

I'm worried that it will be another Snakes on a Plane. Does anyone even remember that movie?

opivy21
11-06-2006, 08:40 PM
I just got back, and I thought it was hilarious. The unscripted stuff was great, and even the scripted parts were really funny.

Those frat boys from South Carolina are just about an hour away from where I live. Unfortunately, they're not the only of their kind around here, but I'm sure there's people like that in some form everywhere.

The bottom line is that it was good. The parts of the fight scene that I had my eyes open for were fantastic.

DeAtHsTaR
11-06-2006, 09:57 PM
I hope you guys do know that the actor is Jewish. The last name Cohen should give it away.

T-6005
11-06-2006, 09:58 PM
The naked fight scene killed me. I don't know why, but I haven't laughed that hard at anything in forever.

Jebus
11-06-2006, 11:10 PM
All his interviews and trailers ruined it for me. He reused too many of his jokes. The only thing that really cracked me up was when he tried to kidnap Pamela.

also, the keytar duel on Conan was ace.

Tizzalicious
11-06-2006, 11:35 PM
I hope you guys do know that the actor is Jewish. The last name Cohen should give it away.

Urgh, really? Now I don't like it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nina
11-07-2006, 02:28 AM
I'm worried that it will be another Snakes on a Plane. Does anyone even remember that movie?

It saddens me that it wont be as much of a success here in Germany and thus not as funny. The same happened to Snakes On A Plane. Nobody thought it was awesome/hilarious here so they didnt understand the jokes about it, and that proceeded until I myself didnt find it funny anymore.

Tizzalicious
11-07-2006, 02:30 AM
I don't think SOAP was popular anywhere, in Denmark it stopped showing at the cinema after only a month! (and we missed it. How sad.)

HornyPope
11-07-2006, 06:19 AM
Whatta dutchie smaartje and gay euroman!

JoY
11-07-2006, 07:12 AM

1. why do you want us to stand still at the fact he's Jewish?
2. why do you hope we know/realise this? what's to hope for? so he's Jewish, NEXT.
3. when mentioning his last name, you approach Jewdom as if it has nothing to do with religion.
4. Jewdom, if you approach it as a race, can only be passed on by women. a last name usually is passed on by men. so if your father's last name was Cohen & he married someone who isn't Jewish, then you're not Jewish. so suppose you're a boy & you get children one day with someone who isn't Jewish, your children definitely aren't Jewish. they're double not-Jewish. & it's even well possible your father isn't Jewish either, because he got his last name from his father, not necessarily saying his father married & knocked up a Jewish woman.

see how little that last name you just mentioned meant?

Homer
11-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Ahem... I'm going to see it again this weekend. Woo! But yeah, like it's been said, I'm glad I haven't watched the show before seeing the movie. But, I've watched the show a couple of times, and I've seen some brilliant clips, better than the movie. But the movie was still fantastic.

DeAtHsTaR
11-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Whatever, I just know that every Cohen I've ever met was a Jew.

wheelchairman
11-07-2006, 04:37 PM
That's because it's a jewish name. Christ. As far as I understand it the Cohens are a rather huge group of jews in Israel. I wasn't listening though.

It's funny though that it was accused of anti-semitism by the Anti-Defamation League. I thought it ridiculed anti-semitism myself.

0r4ng3
11-07-2006, 07:27 PM
It's funny though that it was accused of anti-semitism by the Anti-Defamation League. I thought it ridiculed anti-semitism myself.
Yeah, they didn't understand that part.

Stupid Jews.

DeAtHsTaR
11-07-2006, 07:48 PM
The fucking movie isn't even coming to Klamath Falls because the movie theater owner is a stupid politically correct fucktard.

XYlophonetreeZ
11-07-2006, 08:30 PM
The fucking movie isn't even coming to Klamath Falls because the movie theater owner is a Jew

I fixed it for you. And I laugh in your general direction.

Isn't there some other theater you can go to, or does your town really suck THAT much?

DeAtHsTaR
11-07-2006, 09:02 PM
I fixed it for you. And I laugh in your general direction.

Isn't there some other theater you can go to, or does your town really suck THAT much?

Yeah, my town only had one theater.

Isolated Fury
11-07-2006, 09:05 PM
At least yours actually has one. Of the two I live in, neither has one.

wheelchairman
11-08-2006, 02:13 AM
Just take a trip to Eugene then. There are like....4 theatres. Woohoo! Although techinically two are in Springfield, or closer to Springfield.

JoY
11-08-2006, 03:16 AM
Whatever, I just know that every Cohen I've ever met was a Jew.

did you read what I said? holy mack. Cohen indeed is a Jewish last name. well, whooptifuckingdoo, so is mine. Jewish as hell. but my mother isn't Jewish, neither of my grandmothers are/were Jewish, so what does that make me? the grandchild of a Jewish man, who had little to zero with the entire religion.

it's well possible not every Cohen you ever met was Jewish, but certain is that every Cohen you ever met has a Jewish background.

can we say; OH NOES.

Stranger With Candy
11-08-2006, 07:07 AM
it was a pretty funny movie. better than the Ali G movie.

0r4ng3
11-08-2006, 10:46 AM
There was an Ali G movie? When did that happen?

Stranger With Candy
11-08-2006, 10:49 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_G_In_Da_House

it was pretty funny... but relly lame at times.

Duskygrin
11-08-2006, 11:00 AM
It looks stupid as hell. It also looks delirious & funny, but more stupid than anything else. Don't think I'm gonna pay to see that bummer, unless I'm dragged to the theatre by sb who would "know better".

Oh, & the French ads for the film are replete with grammatical mistakes, such as "aller à la cinéma" instead of "aller au cinéma", to imitate (very poorly so) the speech of an immigrant. It made the ad unbearable to read.

Idiot
11-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Saw it for the second time tonight, as my mate hadn't seen it and it was Orange Wednesday so I got in for free.
Still fucking hilarious.

JoY
11-08-2006, 01:27 PM

music, makes the people, come together, yeah.

that had nothing to do with the movie whatsoever, but I wanted to share anyway.

Idiot
11-08-2006, 02:37 PM

In 2002 I think. Was hilarious.

DeAtHsTaR
11-09-2006, 08:14 AM
Just take a trip to Eugene then. There are like....4 theatres. Woohoo! Although techinically two are in Springfield, or closer to Springfield.

Nah, Ashland, Medford, and Grants Pass are closer.

Paint_It_Black
11-14-2006, 12:22 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061113/ap_en_mo/film_borat_s_victims

A few more lolz.

Idiot
11-14-2006, 07:42 AM
Haha, thats brilliant.

Little_Miss_1565
11-14-2006, 08:15 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061113/ap_en_mo/film_borat_s_victims

A few more lolz.

The only thing those kids are really upset about is that the entire world has now seen what assholes they really are.

coke_a_holic
11-14-2006, 03:08 PM
Even more lolz! (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/13112006/344/borat-star-punched-street-attack.html)

Hugh Laurie to the rescue! I wanted to find out if this was true, because my friends were talking about it today, but I didn't believe them at all. I think the idea of someone punching Borat in the face is just hilarious. Not that I don't like him, I just can only imagine the reactions of both parties.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
11-14-2006, 03:12 PM
http://www.comcast.net/news/entertainment/index.jsp?cat=ENTERTAINMENT&fn=/2006/11/14/520531.html

Don't forget about the Romanians.

--
Oh yeah, about the movie. I loved it. I thought it was very funny and the audience I was with was very into the fight scene.

HornyPope
11-16-2006, 09:04 AM
More scoop from the smoking gun on the f(r)at boys lawsuit, featuring some pics of the guy. What a loser lol.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1113061borat3.html

hollywitya
11-16-2006, 02:56 PM
i just saw the movie! so funny!!

Idiot
11-17-2006, 01:14 AM
More scoop from the smoking gun on the f(r)at boys lawsuit, featuring some pics of the guy. What a loser lol.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1113061borat3.html

It's their own goddamn fault for saying that shit, they knew they were being filmed so its down to their own stupidity and narrow minds.

DeAtHsTaR
11-18-2006, 05:57 PM
I literally laughed till it hurt, cried, and nearly choked to death. And this was just in the Naked Wrestling scene.

DeAtHsTaR
11-19-2006, 10:54 AM
I just saw the movie tonight. Yeah, a lot of it was pre-scripted and not as brilliant as the show, but there were some real moments--like when the guy at the rodeo takes Borat aside and tells him to shave his moustache so no one mistakes him for "one o' them Muslim terrorists." Or the bit with the frat boys.

Also the rodeo guy saying he thinks all gays should be hanged.

F@ BANKZ
11-19-2006, 12:57 PM
I thought it was gr8, the best part being when he got naked with the producer lol.

Paint_It_Black
11-19-2006, 03:06 PM
I thought it was gr8, the best part being when he got naked with the producer lol.

Yeah, all the closet fags love that part.

DeAtHsTaR
11-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Yeah, all the closet fags love that part.
If anyone thinks liking that part makes you gay, they're extremely queer.

- -Lauren- -
11-19-2006, 05:36 PM
It was definently one of the funnier parts. Hell, I was streaming tears at that part it made me laugh so much.

Haha. He want sexy time.

Paint_It_Black
11-19-2006, 07:23 PM
If anyone thinks liking that part makes you gay, they're extremely queer.

If anyone didn't completely understand why I said that, they're probably Dain.