PDA

View Full Version : Nothing from something/Nitro

Camilamazed
11-05-2006, 07:48 PM
There I go again. This one has been the most difficult one to translate so far.

1) Nothing from Something. I confess I cannot understand it.
(Making nothing from something)

2) "Things are coming down on me
They never seem to let it be"

Well, Phrasal verbs are even harder to understand because there are no such verbs in Portuguese. So, my question: According to the sentence is it "To come down" or "To come down on" ???

What about "Let it Be"?

3) "Gonna break it
And never stop running"

Does this *it* refer to pressure or something else?
Running: Trying to scape?

4)"Cut me for the lions share" . I know Lion's share means the biggest part of something. "Cut me for" got a little bit confusing for me.

5)"Take more shit, Ive had enough
Tonight Im gonna rip it up"

Take more shit??
Rip it up?

Nitro

6) Found lots of meanings for Nitro in Wikipedia, no idea though of which one fits better in the song.

7) "We might as well just throw it all"

Something like giving up?

:)

Thomas
11-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Nothing from Something means that he is taking something and, for stress/rage relief, he is destroying it. The whole song is about how he's always taking abuse from others and he can't stand it anymore. In order to cope with this, he is basically just gonna break stuff.

Camilamazed
11-05-2006, 07:59 PM
I got the idea of the song indeed. What I don't understand are those expressions. But thank you anyway.

Little_Miss_1565
11-05-2006, 09:02 PM
"Nothing from something" is an inversion of a more common phrase, "something from nothing."

Short_Attention_Span
11-05-2006, 09:05 PM
1. "Nothing from Something" basically means a release. Or better, letting something go.

2. I think it's to come down on. "Let it be" means to leave alone.

3. Don't know what "it" means... but, "never stop running" I think means not to look back.

4. Uhh... I think I need to rethink my interpretation of the song for a second. Can't quite help you there.

5. "Take more shit" is kind of like, as Thomas said, taking more abuse from others. "Rip it up" is kind of like destroying more stuff, I guess.

6. Nitro is an explosive. I think he's comparing it to the lifestyles of the people of his generation. They're fast, and explosive, so it might just be better to live like you've got no tomorrow, since it could be over in a second.

7. Yup. That's exactly right.

Does any of that make sense?
________
Silver surfer reviews (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/silver-surfer)

Camilamazed
11-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Yes, thank you very much....

Lil Miss, can you help me with a meaning for "Something from nothing". I've never seen this phrase and it makes absolutely no sense in Portuguese.

Venom Symbiote
11-05-2006, 10:28 PM
"Something from nothing" - having a proactive positive stance towards an event. Building something positive and good.

"Nothing from something" switches around to make it negative, you're destroying something due to inner stress/conflict/whatever.

They're the basics. The song in a very broad sense.

Little_Miss_1565
11-05-2006, 10:44 PM
^ What he said.

It's a frase hecho, or idiom. I'm not sure how a person would go about looking that up outside a list. LIke, here's a list I found of Portuguese idioms--http://www.tagide.com/pt-idioms.html

darea
11-06-2006, 03:26 AM
I really like these threads, trying to understand the meaning of songs.... some songs always remain a bit confusing even after talking about their meaning

sad_statue_27
11-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Yes, thank you very much....

Lil Miss, can you help me with a meaning for "Something from nothing". I've never seen this phrase and it makes absolutely no sense in Portuguese.

I think someone else has already explained this, but the phrase "Something From Nothing" means you take "nothing" and through care, and persistance, and nurturing (depending on what the something is) you turn it into something useful.

Nothing From Something just means the opposite. Taking something beautiful, or pure, or useful and destroying it til there's nothing left.

sad_statue_27
11-06-2006, 11:55 AM
4)"Cut me for the lions share" . I know Lion's share means the biggest part of something. "Cut me for" got a little bit confusing for me.

5)"Take more shit, Ive had enough
Tonight Im gonna rip it up"

Take more shit??
Rip it up?

Thought I may as well help out on these as well.

"Cut me for a lion's share" I perosnally feel, he's saying "Give me the biggest piece of the action, and I don't care how mindless it is. All I want is to be the one with the most" This I think has something to do with arrogance and pride within social networks, so somebody will do anything so that they appear "macho" or impressive to the others.

The Take more shit I've had enough line just means he's taken enough shit (i.e. been abused or picked upon or whatever) to the point where he loses control of his actions and wants to cause destruction (rip it up) just to let go of this anger and pressure.

The basic themes of this song are pressure, stress, anger and destruction. I quite like giving intepretations, if you want any more in depth on any other songs, let me know, I'd be more than happy to help.

Venom Symbiote
11-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Can someone explain the "broken windows cure my ills and make me feel alright" line?

:p

I...I just don't...understand it. It's so horribly vague!

:cool:

joey1234
11-06-2006, 05:33 PM
I always loved a good piece of poetry. :rolleyes:

Camilamazed
11-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Thank you (again) for those who contributed with the thread.

sad_statue_27
11-07-2006, 01:51 AM
Can someone explain the "broken windows cure my ills and make me feel alright" line?

:p

I...I just don't...understand it. It's so horribly vague!

:cool:

I guess you're being sarcastic. Just in case you're not "cure my ills" means make him feel better. So breaking the windows (and causing general destruction) makes him feel better. It relieves the anger.

Venom Symbiote
11-07-2006, 03:23 AM
Hook, line, and sinker.

*pumps hips*

Douche.

randman21
11-07-2006, 06:08 AM
Okay, I must say that, the whole time, I thought "Nothing From Something" was about cutting. Cutting, as in, the prototypical emo technique of stress relief. Here's my rationale:

-"Broken windows cure my ills and make me feel alright," would correlate beautifully with it. The "broken windows" is not neccesarily literal, just a symbol for something sharp.

-"The pressure's building up inside. I gotta let it out tonight." Freeing the pressure (stress) that's "trapped" in his body. I think of opening a bottle of Coke when I think of this.

-"Gonna break it, and never stop running." "Break it" referring to something sharp again. I took "running" as a running that something sharp across the body part of his choice.

-"Tonight, I'm gonna rip it up." Well, you get it by now.

I'm not a very deep fellow at all, but this meaning screamed out at me, once I actually listened to the lyrics.

sad_statue_27
11-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Hook, line, and sinker.

*pumps hips*

Douche.

Actually, check the first sentence of my post.

Dick.

rlplaymaker
11-07-2006, 12:38 PM
"Nothing from something" is an inversion of a more common phrase, "something from nothing."

yup, taking something that is okay, and turning it nothing, bad. Thats always been my interpretation of this song. Probably my fav. song right now