PDA

View Full Version : Randy Newman

calichix
11-08-2006, 12:45 AM
Has anyone heard that Randy Newman song about smart ass New York jews and keeping the niggers down? It might be called, "We're Rednecks" but I'm not sure. Anyway, dude- what the hell, Randy Newman? Was there a sarcastian mark at the end of that song? Does Randy Newman famously hate Jews and niugguhs and I'm just behind the times? Or is like that Bruce Springstein song where he says, "'nigger" and it's okay because a black guy plays cowbell in the E-Street band? Is it the story of a hurricane? Is it socially acceptable to say "nigger" with righteous indignation? How ballsy of Randy Newman.

Totally unrelated tidbit- I saw The Departed two shakes ago and it ruled. Almost as much as Goodfellas. Martin Scorcese always uses "Give Me Shelter" in his movies.

XYlophonetreeZ
11-08-2006, 01:12 AM
Or is like that Bruce Springstein song where he says, "'nigger" and it's okay because a black guy plays cowbell in the E-Street band?
Um, hullo, The BIG MAN??? A little more substantial than a cowbell player! But speaking of cowbell, Will Ferrell also got away with dropping the N-bomb in his Robert Goulet skit.

I dunno, I guess whiteys can get away with "nigger" if they're careful enough about it. For example, they're always allowed to say it if they're acting in a movie and playing the part of a character that's SUPPOSED to be racist. Fucking duh, that's common sense. I mean, what do you do-- get a black guy to play a character who's racist against blacks because, oops, whites can't say nigger!? Although it's used for humor occasionally too- Boondock Saints comes to mind, in the infamous "I'll have a Coke" joke. And that was funny! Sometimes, it's just funny! When playing a character, it seems like it's usually seen as OK. Ferrell's n-bomb as Goulet, I thought, came dangerously close to the threshhold because it was a very over-the-top, hyperbolic character, and wasn't portraying anything close to reality.

But Springsteen's, and Newman's, I assume (since the song is called "Redneck") n-bombs, are done out of irony. That's what's really punx. It's like in "Holiday" when Billie Joe says "KILL ALL TEH FAGZ TAHT DONT AGREE!!!1" They're making a statement!

And yeah, The Departed was pretty kickass.

coke_a_holic
11-08-2006, 01:19 AM
I'd just like to say that use of the term "sarcastion mark" deserves, like, 4 years of sex.

calichix
11-08-2006, 01:30 AM
well, hot dog!

and I apologize for selling The BIG MAN short, but my fondest memory of him is when he jubilantly plays the cowbell in the "glory days'' video. I call him "the black guy who plays the cowbell" with the utmost tenderness.