PDA

View Full Version : Nightlife

HornyPope
11-09-2006, 09:43 PM
Does your city have a nightlife? Can you go around the neigherbood and actually meet people past 10pm, just doing... whatever? Or do they all concentrate downtown around the bars and the hotspots? Or do they stay home after dinner and watch TV?

JohnnyNemesis
11-09-2006, 09:47 PM
New York City doesn't have much of a nightlife. People here prefer to take it easy and lock things down by 7PM.

Seriously though, this thread makes me miss the nightlife home in NYC. Here in Poughkeepsie, where I go to school, there isn't much of a nightlife at all aside from the bajillion things going on on campus.

Italia311
11-09-2006, 09:55 PM
The nightlife over here is decent. I live in an appartment complex near the university, theres alot of students in here. There are a couple neighbourhoods around here where its all students...its good at the begining of the year its kinda shit now. There is a lil district of bars...

Good school...shit city.

I much prefer Toronto or Montreal...

DeAtHsTaR
11-09-2006, 10:18 PM
There's one, but it's the same assholes at every party, so weekends have become me and my friends fucking around. Last week me and my good buddy Jon went out to the site of the abandoned old OIT, scariest shit ever. I would say what it was like out there, but no one really cares, lol.

Stranger With Candy
11-09-2006, 10:21 PM
there is no nightlife where im living, i have to take the buss and thats to expensive for me. so i just go to some friends for a drink.

HornyPope
11-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Btw, buncha young'uns congregating in a watering hole doesn't equal "nightlife" in my books. But that's just me.

Llamas
11-09-2006, 11:18 PM
I've been to several cities in the US, and Minneapolis has the best nightlife I've seen. It's kind of funny, because in most cities, people go out around 9pm and come back long before bar close. Here, going out at 10pm is kind of early... 10:30 or 11 is pretty normal. Our bars close at 2, which kind of sucks. But we have sweet bars. My favorite is the Shout House... there's a cover charge, but they have dueling pianos on stage all night. Wednesdays, they only play requests for songs from the 80s. It's damn amazing. The only nights that the bars suck are sunday and monday. Also parties are pretty good, but I happen to live right by the biggest University campus in the nation. So that might help. :P

Betty
11-10-2006, 12:14 AM
In a way, Victoria is a retirement city. And I live in a mellow municipality full o' old folks. But downtown has always been pretty busy, especially in the summer when it's tourist season. I have no complaints, but it's hard to compare when I've only lived in a few cities, and this one is lightyears beyond my hometown where you can't find a single soul on the streets unless it's Saturday night.

Paint_It_Black
11-10-2006, 12:18 AM
No, there's not much here, other than bars. I tend not to go out much at night, especially now that I've recently moved. Not exactly the safest of areas, though on the other hand that would possibly make going out at night more interesting. I mean, getting stabbed could never be called dull I suppose.

Bazza
11-10-2006, 12:29 AM
Currently at uni in Nottingham. There's loadsa clubs here, and a student night for everyday of the week :p

And if you dont like clubs and loud music etc, theres always lotsa quiet pubs to have a drink in...

wheelchairman
11-10-2006, 01:50 AM
There are several places I could go in the area where I could expect to find friends at night. So there is a nightlife yes, although usually it's just easier to go downtown.

There is no nightlife anywhere in Oregon except in Portland. And not much there. At all.

Venom Symbiote
11-10-2006, 02:24 AM
There's too much of one where I live.

Fuck scene kids and University hippies. They ruin it for the rest of us.

killer_queen
11-10-2006, 03:18 AM
I live in a very small city but there are two huge universities in it. So yes, this place is full of bars, clubs, etc. Especially in summer, people are awake almost all night. None of them is older than 25, though.

Paint_It_Black
11-10-2006, 03:25 AM
Bars, clubs, bars, clubs, stripbars, stripclubs, gaybars, gayclubs,... & any variation around those.

What's that, your resume?

mrconeman
11-10-2006, 03:26 AM
Not really my area, but going into town at night here will see a pretty big night life, theres many bars and clubs and stuff.
I only ever hit bars occasionaly and very rarely local gigs. My weekend usually consists of me and a bunch of friends meeting up and hanging around drinking and partying and whatever, but thats obviously not the city's nightlife.

Nina
11-10-2006, 04:53 AM
Germany is depressing as hell when it comes to this.
I've never been to Berlin to I cant judge the nightlife of that city, but here in my city everyone complains about the lack of nighlife activities. Even the city nearby, a much smaller place, has a more exciting nightlife. The clubs/bars/etc are really boring. Everyone goes to other places except the old people who stay in my city.
I'm really thankful for not being into this stuff. Otherwise I'd be extremely sad every weekend.

I remember absolutely ADORING the nightlife of Glasgow. Even during the week the clubs were crowded and as a tourist it was a lot of fun. You met people on the streets really late at night. It was quite an experience for me. Yes I'm a loser.

JohnnyNemesis
11-10-2006, 06:24 AM
Fuck scene kids and University hippies. They ruin it for the rest of us.

You mean the rest of you people who aren't social and like, complain about things a LOT?

Have you ever read arak0r's posts? I think you two would be great friends.

Llamas
11-10-2006, 06:34 AM
I don't really get it... I don't go to scene parties. One problem solved. Hippies usually sit around and get high all the time. I don't get invited to those parties. Maybe you should stop going to the parties that people you don't like invite you to.

Italia311
11-10-2006, 06:35 AM
There is a petition going around this area wanting to close down the two pubs on campus...lol. DAMN OLD PPL. They have nothing better to do. For some reason I thikn the 2 highschools in the area produce more 'hoodlums' and 'thugs' then the university. Well, I would like to think so, then again, first years are 17...

Hey, next time you buy a house, make sure it isn't next to a university. Grow a brain. This whole area would be dead if it wasn't for us university students blowing our money.

JohnnyNemesis
11-10-2006, 06:38 AM
Maybe you should stop going to the parties that people you don't like invite you to.

You don't get it. He isn't invited to any parties, he's just finding safety in assumptions. It makes things easier than actually getting to know people or shedding cowardice to be a little more social.

It's the shit I used to do too, which is probably why I have much less tolerance for it.

Llamas
11-10-2006, 07:06 AM
I don't really get it...

You don't get it.

Thanks there, ;)

sKratch
11-10-2006, 09:25 AM
ohhhhhhhh SHIT SON! You got your shit FUCKED UP!! By a WHITE GIRL!!

HeadAroundU
11-10-2006, 09:27 AM
whaaaaaaaaa :eek:

Llamas
11-10-2006, 09:29 AM

no worries, though. I'm an honorary black person. Atleast that's what Freddie Jones be tellin' me.

Tired_Of_You
11-10-2006, 10:02 AM
I live in a small city where there are more trees than people, so the nightlife = 0.

I used to live in Montreal, and obviously that was quite different. I want to return there.

JohnnyNemesis
11-10-2006, 10:02 AM

Pfft, repeating that a white girl missed the point even when they already know they did is nothing new! Especially blondes like her, lolamirite?

I'm an honorary black person.

u need mo' azz b4 u can say dat.

Llamas
11-10-2006, 10:10 AM
I'm not the one who said it. Freddie Jones did. and he's blacker than you!! lolz 4srs.

T-6005
11-10-2006, 10:48 AM
There are a few places where you can go at night here, any day of the week, and meet people. And of course the drunken misadventures of uni students are constantly happening, although I wouldn't term that so much of a nightlife. We've got a few bars and a few of those get converted into clubs when it's late enough. I don't much enjoy going to clubs or bars except for special occasions, so that's probably why I can't provide much in the way of an accurate overview, but that's what I get in my head when I think of nightlife around here.

JoY
11-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Poughkeepsie.

that sounds so incredibly fucking funny in my head, I need a moment to gather myself again. oh. my. god. I lol'ed.

where I live now, red light district is pretty much around the corner. I know at least five coffeeshops that are less than a two minute walk from my house & plenty of restaurants that are stocked until closing (some also have an excellent bar & pool facilities), not to mention the hotels people come asking for in the middle of the night. & I forgot about the fact many students live in this neighbourhood & they usually don't have a very early definition of bedtime.

JohnnyNemesis
11-10-2006, 04:25 PM
TRAITOROUS BITCH DUN MAKE fun OF MWDBEU DUN MAKE FUN OF ME!!

:(

ninthlayer
11-10-2006, 04:26 PM
My nightlife consists of frequenting Happy Chef.

Venom Symbiote
11-10-2006, 07:29 PM
You mean the rest of you people who aren't social and like, complain about things a LOT?

Have you ever read arak0r's posts? I think you two would be great friends.

Oh, being anti-social and complaining a lot don't go hand in hand.

I'm social at the university, but reserve the right to verbally bash dumb people. Like cheerleaders carrying around a copy of "War & Peace" among their notebooks to try and seem intelligent.

Those are the types of scum that infest the local clubs and bars. Therefore, most people under 30 suck.

Izie
11-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Nightlife, nightlife...

Well, we both know nightlife in Belgrade owned, but simply because I know awesome people, the booze is piss cheap and we ride around in supermarket carts and spit on embassies.

Seriously though, Belgrade pwns. And duh, Montreal pwns as well. I'd be bored as fuck if I had to live somewhere empty and boring... Experience talking here.

HeadAroundU
11-11-2006, 10:37 AM
where I live now, red light district is pretty much around the corner.
red light district!? *raise eyebrow* I saw that written on some DVD's.

Venom Symbiote
11-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Belgrade?

Belgrade? Holy shit. I wouldn't walk a step out of my front door at night if I were in fucking Belgrade.

Llamas
11-11-2006, 04:14 PM
I'd be bored as fuck if I had to live somewhere... boring

really?? no way! :eek:

EDIT:

Belgrade?

Belgrade? Holy shit. I wouldn't walk a step out of my front door at night if I were in fucking Belgrade.
why do you have to be so damn negative and bitchy every single time you post? good lord.

JohnnyNemesis
11-11-2006, 04:32 PM
He's the second coming of arak0r.

JoY
11-11-2006, 04:47 PM
red light district!? *raise eyebrow* I saw that written on some DVD's.

*laughs* those are the kind of DVD's for when you're lonely. or just horny. or horny & without inspiration/imagination.

no, no, wait a minute. I just checked Google for "red light district dvd" & apparently there's a DVD out from Ludacris by that name. embarrassing.

JoY
11-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Belgrade?

that's too bad, because you don't know what you'd be missing..
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/23/NoviBG_Nov30_2005.jpg

you act like Belgrade is the trash-heap of this planet, when everyone knows that's.... crap, I fail to come with something witty here. oh, I know; Poughkeepsy!

sorry Rick, it just sounds too awesome. plus, you're, you know, black.

Izie
11-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Belgrade?

What the fuck would you even know about Belgrade anyway?

Oh and Bella-love, now. <333333333

JohnnyNemesis
11-11-2006, 04:57 PM
oh, I know; Poughkeepsy!

lolz u misspell <3

sorry Rick, it just sounds too awesome. plus, you're, you know, black.

FUX u i h8 u :(

JoY
11-11-2006, 05:35 PM
What the fuck would you even know about Belgrade anyway?

Oh and Bella-love, now. <333333333

don't worry, babe. he doesn't go out at night, I bet he doesn't ever travel either.

& yeah, if Belgrade can be the home of Izas, it's got to be great. so no bashing cities that house, or used to house, Izie. grrrz & what not.
<3333

lolz u misspell <3

FUX u i h8 u :(

but you got the point!

i h8 u2. make up seckts now?

JohnnyNemesis
11-11-2006, 05:36 PM
yesplzthx.

Idiot
11-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Nightlife round here isn't too bad. I mean in my town [about 10 mins drive away], theres a lot of nightclubs/bars, which is pretty good for town thats not that big. There's about 3 stand out big clubs/bars, one which I go to most Monday nights as its better music and student night so cheaper drinks.

Paint_It_Black
11-11-2006, 07:52 PM
He's the second coming of arak0r.

Why are people picking on this guy? He's just kidding. And he doesn't seem dumb, or immature.

Edit: I just realized this could be seen as highly offensive to arakor. That was actually accidental.

calichix
11-11-2006, 08:01 PM
there's a lot of nightlife in the next town over but I live in a tinsy beach town on the tip of a peninsula. we don't even have many street lights. :\

Llamas
11-12-2006, 12:40 AM
Why are people picking on this guy? He's just kidding. And he doesn't seem dumb, or immature.

I was picking on him because he's very negative and whiney. Every post he makes is either arguing with someone or upset.

wheelchairman
11-12-2006, 02:33 AM
I was picking on him because he's very negative and whiney. Every post he makes is either arguing with someone or upset.

I can't tell whether you mean Arak0r or Venom Symbiote. It just fits them both so well. Omg!

Llamas
11-12-2006, 02:42 AM
I was talking about venom... arak0r has never annoyed me... I never really noticed him, honestly.

JohnnyNemesis
11-12-2006, 08:45 AM

"People" aren't picking on this guy; I am (and llamas too, I guess). And I seem to be the only one who notices how unbelievably annoying his posts are. Most haven't seen him post because he posts more in the other sections than here in GC.

Paint_It_Black
11-12-2006, 08:49 AM
I consider you and llamas to be people.

JohnnyNemesis
11-12-2006, 08:50 AM
I thought you were implying more folks, like the majority of the community, when you said "people". My mistake.

Llamas
11-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Most haven't seen him post because he posts more in the other sections than here in GC.
Exactly. His posts have been more annoying in the on topic section than over here, so that would probably explain it.

I consider you and llamas to be people.
Blacks r not ppl :( :( SLAVEZZZ!

Venom Symbiote
11-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Belgrade is in Serbia.

Why's everyone firing away at me over this? Belgrade is in Serbia.

Serbia.

Same reason I wouldn't walk outside during the day in Somalia.

:confused:

HornyPope
11-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Hey Venom you know when they say "dont poke at other countries"? It's not because acting insensitive or politically incorrect is wrong, it's because you're embarrassing yourself. You know squat shit about Serbia.

Izie
11-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Belgrade is in Serbia.

Why's everyone firing away at me over this? Belgrade is in Serbia.

Serbia.

Try again, dumbass, you didn't answer the question (apart from the very obvious "Belgrade is in Serbia", which provides no meaningful insight). What the fuck do you know about Belgrade?

Venom Symbiote
11-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Nothing. Aside from the fact that Serbia, shall we say, has been known to have its share of pretty...serious problems.

What's the issue here?

All I said was Serbia's known to be a pretty dangerous place. :rolleyes: And I'm right. It's not racism, it's pointing something out that happens to be true.

HornyPope
11-12-2006, 07:38 PM
I was going to reply but I couldn't be bothered to type a post this weekend but i'll say this now because it's almost relevant.

To me nightlife is about the mood of the people in general and the people themselves in particular. College kids hitting up the bars on the weekened to drink because they have no other way to socialize doesn't make a good "out time". Chiefly because it sounds so litteraly homosexual lolz.
I much prefer it spontaneously, where Belgrade in this very instance stands out. It's awesome to gather in a park some fifty people and split among you the liters and liters of coke-sized beer bottles. Where no one has a problem with drinking or worries how omg he has to drive home, girls either drink or don't drink but thankfully don't yap about it before the public in the search of attention, people don't cry they're "cold" or how they don't like the setting very much and no one leaves before midnight. Basicly, no fags. And man I can really appriciate that.
Otherwise, I just like the night crowd. I love going in the night in the city for one reason or another and actually seeing living souls!

HornyPope
11-12-2006, 07:45 PM
What problems, what you think Belgrade is in ruins and shit from the war circa WW2 images?

Izie
11-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Nothing. Aside from the fact that Serbia, shall we say, has been known to have its share of pretty...serious problems.

What's the issue here?

All I said was Serbia's known to be a pretty dangerous place. :rolleyes: And I'm right. It's not racism, it's pointing something out that happens to be true.

No one ever called you a racist (plus you couldn't be since, um, Serbs aren't exactly a race, but details, nevermind). Simply ignorant. Which you still are.

You didn't really prove anything. Your cousin's girlfriend's best friend told you Serbia was dangerous, you heard several reports on the news, omg you know everything about it. "It's known to be a dangerous place". I see. Well you sure have me convinced!

Trying to talk bad about a place you know nothing about isn't going to make you any more interesting, nor is it going to offend those of us who KNOW what we are talking about (as in, we've actually been there?), it's just going to show you know jack shit. Sorry. Hence the only issue is you acting like you know something, when in fact... you don't.

Paint_It_Black
11-12-2006, 08:07 PM
He made a lighthearted comment about not going outside in Serbia. A place that does have a vaguely bad reputation as being shitty. Does it deserve it? I have no clue and don't really care, and Venom probably doesn't either. I don't get why people keep jumping all over him. I think you're all taking him too seriously.

Izie
11-12-2006, 08:20 PM
I think you're all taking him too seriously.

Guilty as charged. 99% of the time I don't give a shit about the morons roaming these boards, but some of them just catch me in a nasty moment every once in a while.

He deserves it for taking himself so seriously and mainitaining he's a 100% right when he very obviously could be wrong (and he is, but nevermind) though, not necessarily for this particular comment. I hate people who think they know everything and he made a mistake about something I definitely know better and actually care for enough to argue. h8.

My, so much anger at random tards these days. I'm apparently under good influence.
/random

Paint_It_Black
11-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Fair enough.

Venom Symbiote
11-13-2006, 02:21 AM
Most of the "morons" here are ignored, I'll venture to say, because they type like goddamn whores and are barely understandable. Go on and admit it, the only reason you're taking me remotely seriously is because I'm a little more intelligent (a little, I'm not exactly building myself up here :P) and therefore aren't seen as harmless.

I meant what I said, and maybe that pisses you off because you know I'm not just some illiterate throwing random words around. Whatever, it's about the only way I can explain it from your last few posts.

Look, I never pretended to know a damn thing about Serbia. I'm kind of missing the part where I apparently did.

But yes, it's a dangerous place. Do I have to live there to know that? Hell no.

My country is better than yours, so yeah, basically, go fuck some livestock. About all I have left to say on the trivial matter.

JoY
11-13-2006, 02:30 AM

What's the issue here?

what Vlad said I fully agree with. nightlife is about having good times, without worries. it's about friends, about hanging out, about dancing wherever, about conversations about nothing & everything. it's independant of any place on earth, it's dependant on the people, the locals.

you've never been in Belgrade & neither have I. Izie said it's a great place, nightlife-wise, & you're in what position exactly to doubt that? you say you wouldn't even dare to set a foot outside your door at night in Belgrade. why be a pussy about something you don't even know & have never been to in your life? because you've seen it on the news, misery & drama. don't you think the NEWS is a bit selective about what they broadcast? what people think is news, isn't news to another person. news is subjective & only shows one side of a country. sure, a bombing is news, but a marriage, one hell of a party & content, happy people aren't fucking news in this world.

I've traveled a bit in my life & you know what I've seen? countries without "serious problems" most often have a population that bitches non-stop. pretty much like you. the beer's too warm, the wine's too cold, the crowd is too young, no it's too old, the bar closes too early, your friends are too late, the dancefloor is too crowded, or it's too empty, the dj has no taste in music..

I've been to Cuba & to Zimbabwe. one could say those countries have quite serious problems. I won't even go into detail, I expect, with you having seen the news & all, you know about this. do you know what makes these countries special? not the shit that's been going out there, the people who are dying, the people who are sick, the people who are angry & poor. the good spirit of the people, the way they can party, sing, dance, go crazy without a cause. everyone's happy when they're surrounded by friends & people they care about & they don't need anything else to have a great fucking time.

I just mentioned two entirely different places on this planet, do you finally see it doesn't depend on a location, but on an attitude? you could have a splendid time between thousands of ruins, if the people you're with have the right attitude to have a good time. you defined Belgrade with what you've seen on the news. you defined Belgrade by the troubles it's had & haves. sorry to say, but that's pretty fucking ignorant. even if you'd seen Serbia's "problems" in person & had experienced a bombing, that'd be pretty ignorant to say about Belgrade's nightlife.

if you let some news bulletin scare you, then get your ass in bed, stay off the wild world of internets, don't ever set a foot outside again & keep hiding the rest of your life. don't travel, don't go out at night, don't move away from your parents, ever, don't meet new people & last but not least; don't ever go to Belgrade.

Llamas
11-13-2006, 02:42 AM
This is why Bella is awesome.

I teach English to foreigners and refugees from all over the world. These people left Russia, Ethiopia, Ecuador, Brazil, Mexico, Guatemala, Somalia, etc to escape horrible things. Most often wars, terrible goverments, and unemployment. Every single one of my students MISSES their native land, though. Why? Because they miss the people. They miss the fun times. These people have suffered greatly. Yet they're some of the nicest, sweetest, and most caring people I've met in my life. They ask me what I am doing the coming weekend, and I ask them in return. We also discuss what we did the previous weekends. Never ONCE have I heard them complain about weekend plans. Never ONCE have they complained about how things were socially where they're from. Everyone I know from less-fortunate countries never complains about such things.

One of my friends is from Colombia, another from India. Both of these girls are from areas that suffered many hardships, and their families came here to escape these things. Both of them talk very fondly about their home countries, though, and love to visit. They have *more fun* there than they have here, in a much more priveledged country.

Oh, and I don't see why you guys think everyone loves Australia... I'd say about 10-15% of Americans I know have interest in Australia. Most Americans I know target Australians for insults.

JoY
11-13-2006, 02:47 AM
Most of the "morons" here are ignored, I'll venture to say, because they type like goddamn whores and are barely understandable. Go on and admit it, the only reason you're taking me remotely seriously is because I'm a little more intelligent (a little, I'm not exactly building myself up here :P) and therefore aren't seen as harmless.
you at least spell correctly, but there are several forms of intellect.

I meant what I said, and maybe that pisses you off because you know I'm not just some illiterate throwing random words around. Whatever, it's about the only way I can explain it from your last few posts.
don't forget llamas & I reacted to your post first. I can't be ticked off, because you're so fantastically literate & magnificently intelligent (congratulations, by the way), because it's not my fucking country, or city you're talking about.

Look, I never pretended to know a damn thing about Serbia. I'm kind of missing the part where I apparently did.
seriously? I'll help you:

we probably shouldn't take you so seriously, but maybe you shouldn't take the news so seriously. there's more to a country than just danger, misery, poorness, hurt, sickness, anger & pain. & frankly, speaking of news, I haven't seen Serbia negatively in the news for ages.

My country is better than yours, so yeah, basically, go fuck some livestock. About all I have left to say on the trivial matter.
hahahahahahaha!
you've never ever been outside your country, have you? you sit there on your high horse, while she travels around the world, meeting great people, seeing different cultures & ways of life. maybe, yes maybe, your country is better than hers. but man, is she better than you, or what?!

JoY
11-13-2006, 03:06 AM
llamas; I agree that every person I've met, who had to leave the country in order to stay alive & who experienced loads of misery, was positively spirited, surprisingly. but it's not just that. one of my best friends goes to Guatemala for a couple of months every year to do voluntary work (is that the correct term?) in childcare there. I know she's madly head over heels in love with the country, the people, the nightlife, the music & the good times. every time she comes back, she tells me how generally Dutch people are boring, complain a lot, are spoiled, closed minded, colourless... this month she'll be going to Guatemala again & I'm seriously scared as hell one day she'll call me & say she's never coming back.

wheelchairman
11-13-2006, 03:20 AM
What's the relevance of this point? That the 3rd world is full of loveable, good-hearted angels?

JoY
11-13-2006, 04:58 AM
no. that it doesn't depend on the location whether you can have a great fucking time. go to a graveyard, ruins of a city, an empty club, a deserted park - it's going to be as fun as you & the people you're with make it.

whatever. I'm off subject.

Llamas
11-13-2006, 05:03 AM
You kind of have that habit lately. ;) But your insights are very interesting. WCM, I didn't read her post as saying that they're great loving people... it's just that people like venom cry and whine about how shitty it must be to go out in a place like belgrade... but the people who live there appreciate what they have and have a great time instead of bitching about what they don't have.

JoY
11-13-2006, 05:30 AM
llamas; I always have that habit. :p but only in the post I made to you, I entirely drifted off topic. (thinking about my best friend Lisa & all that jazz; I'm still kinda "offended" in a way that she wants to move away) I still feel like my other posts were relevant, although my posts would've been more to the point & less long, if I hadn't used examples.

Iza eventually said he caught her at a bad time, after making two posts in his direction that were.. "critical" towards his point. reading his reaction after what she said ticked me off. seriously. it went from bad to worse. to me, originally, it's about the fact Venom is whining about a place he doesn't know anything about & speaks of supposed danger he doesn't know the first thing of. the fact that he'll admit knowing absolutely nothing about the subject & still adds a comment on Belgrade being dangerous, is just ridiculous to me. I probably overreacted, but I'm still as calm as before & still think he's wrong. *shrug*

Paint_It_Black
11-13-2006, 05:34 AM
people like venom cry and whine

*sigh* He neither cried nor whined. I wish I didn't have to keep defending a guy I don't even know.

JoY
11-13-2006, 05:40 AM
no, he said Serbia is too dangerous to set a foot outside the front door & Australia is better than Serbia. what the fuck?

Izie
11-13-2006, 05:41 AM

And that would be you saying you know something. Even trying to explain why/how this isn't so would be useless.

Take you seriously... I think I explained to PiB (and he seemed to get it just fine) that what I take seriously is you thinking you're smart and you know things with a 100% certainty. You don't, simple as that. And when you think you do, well yeah, that gets on my nerves. This is one of the reasons I never venture in the Politics forum, the extent of narrow-mindedness of you people kills me. Plus you never get what someone else is trying to explain to you. Which the first two quotes show so obviously.

Oh noes, you can spell, good for you! I can spell in 5 languages, does that make me special? The only fear that I may have is that the non-properly spelling morons might think you're smart because you can spell (and they don't really count anyway), smart people will still always read WHAT you say. And I already explained why it annoyed me. And you still don't get it. Is this where I act surprised? Because, um, I'm not.

And on the account of Serbia sucking... You missed the part where I left it for good, don't particularly miss it (except for the obligatory family), don't really identify myself with the average Serb (or the average anyone for that matter) and don't really regret it, so it's very unlikely I'd be offended by anything you say about it (especially when YOU say it), didn't you? Yeah, figured as much.

Ahaha, I replied withoutr eading what Bella said and realised she said almost the same thing. Great minds think alike? Still <33333

Llamas
11-13-2006, 05:41 AM
Okay well overall that's how he is, though. His negativity is him being too worried about negative shit instead of commenting on the good things in life. "Does your city have a nightlife?" turns into "These people suck and that city sucks and blah blah blah".

Paint_It_Black
11-13-2006, 05:58 AM
Fair enough. But I still feel that if someone else said what he said, someone a little better known, there wouldn't have been much fuss about it. Not that I give a shit, I just think it's interesting.

Llamas
11-13-2006, 05:59 AM
He's one of the first members I ever talked to on here, and I liked him at first because I thought he was more realistic than most of the people on the on-topic forum. Then I quickly realized that I didn't like him... I formed that opinion long before I even started posting on the the GC forum.

Paint_It_Black
11-13-2006, 06:02 AM
Hmm, that's surprising. Ok, I guess I'll stop giving him the benefit of the doubt then. Lets hang the aussie bastard.

JoY
11-13-2006, 06:08 AM
Iza, I read your post & I was like; "I knows! that's what I said!" so true.<3333

Richard, what the hell. we're all overreacting for saying he can't label something as being dangerous that he doesn't know the first thing about? did you read WHAT he said? or were you so impressed by his rational poster style, you assumed it had a point? you probably think he's awesome & that he's going to be accepted as long as you keep saying/thinking he's awesome (because that's your power, right?), but whatever potential he has, or whatever you call it, what he said was so far from awesome, it's just very.. unawesome.

Paint_It_Black
11-13-2006, 06:30 AM
Richard, what the hell. we're all overreacting for saying he can't label something as being dangerous that he doesn't know the first thing about?

Yeah, pretty much. I don't see why it's quite such a big deal.

I don't think he's awesome though. I don't know much about him. I was just trying to give him a fair chance, something I didn't feel he was getting from everyone. And no, what I say won't have any bearing on what people think of him. It just so happens that people I like usually become reasonably well liked by most people, because I'm a good judge of people. This guy I know nothing about, as I said. I was just trying to give the guy a break.

I certainly hope you haven't believed my mock arrogance.

Anyway, now llamas has explained further I'm going to take her word for it. It was not clear before that she had dealt with him a lot previously.

calichix
11-13-2006, 08:11 AM
Izie, can you really speak five languages?:eek:

JohnnyNemesis
11-13-2006, 08:37 AM

Well, yeah. You're not exactly bringing us any new information by pointing out that idiots like you annoy us more than legitimate retards.

Llamas
11-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Well, yeah. You're not exactly bringing us any new information by pointing out that idiots like you annoy us more than legitimate retards.

dang. that was almost too good.

Izie
11-13-2006, 09:21 AM
Izie, can you really speak five languages?:eek:

Intermediate level of French, so I suppose I shouldn't count that in speaking, but I can still spell right :p

But the other 4, damn straight.

Johnny and Bella get <3s yay!

JoY
11-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Yeah, pretty much. I don't see why it's quite such a big deal.

I don't think he's awesome though. I don't know much about him. I was just trying to give him a fair chance, something I didn't feel he was getting from everyone. And no, what I say won't have any bearing on what people think of him. It just so happens that people I like usually become reasonably well liked by most people, because I'm a good judge of people. This guy I know nothing about, as I said. I was just trying to give the guy a break.

I certainly hope you haven't believed my mock arrogance.

Anyway, now llamas has explained further I'm going to take her word for it. It was not clear before that she had dealt with him a lot previously.

wow wow, hold on a minute. it's not a big deal, I'm just saying how I think & feel about it. like, sharing opinions & all that jazz? why does everything have to become a big deal, to have an opinion on it?

I'm not saying he isn't an okay guy, that he isn't, or won't be a reasonably well liked boardmember, or that he should shut his mouth for the rest of his life, I was just saying he was wrong to judge in his position if Belgrade is dangerous, or not. & it's not just this time he's negative about something he doesn't know anything about, but that's entirely besides the point. I don't understand that such an explanation from llamas could explain & justify to you, that we thought he had no position to say what he said. if you think he had every right to say Belgrade is dangerous, without having any personal, or objective experience with Belgrade, then fine. but that's the point right here & not previous posts of his in other topics.

of course I don't really think you have influence on what we think about a certain boardmember, or that you were serious when you said that everyone you like becomes generally appreciated/accepted. I was just bringing your joke into the conversation as a sarcastic joke back at you.

Edit: of course Iza gets many <3s back from me. not returning them, or anything! <33

Venom Symbiote
11-13-2006, 01:42 PM

Oh, granted. Was just kind of clarifying that, the only reason it's pissing so many people off is because it's coming from me.

That's cool, I'm fine with it.

I won't respond to the entire 3-pages worth of retorts, since that'll just escalate things and this is (I'm sure you'd agree) getting pretty boring, but as for the "never left your country" idiocy...

Yeah, I've travelled. I just tend to like to stay within the confines of the civilized world, for better or worse. U.S./Canada/UK/Aus/NZ/Western & Northern Europe/Japan. No, I haven't been to all those places, I've been to a few. But in all seriousness, there's nothing positive you can experience in the borderline third-world that you can't experience in the decent countries I named, and experience it better.

That's not based on bigot assumptions, that's pretty much rational logic.

Like it or not, we are better than you. It's not a popular or sympathetic thing to say, but when it all boils down to the ruthless truth, it's damn accurate.

JoY
11-13-2006, 02:11 PM
"we are better than you"

specify, please? 'we', being first world countries, 'you' being [borderline] third world countries? & better in what aspect exactly? your nightlife, that you find to be filled with stupid people & too noisy, because it wakes you up at night?

& I'd rather see you use the word "counterargument", seeing the way the word "retort" can be interpret.

if anything, we're (or I'm, whichever you prefer) pissed off slightly more than usual that it's coming from you, because you seem like a person with an actual reasonably functioning brain - not saying anything about the quality of it - who should, or at least COULD know better than this. but hey, people are proven wrong every fucking day. next time I read your posts, I'll make sure not to make the same mistake again.

I'm going to try to leave this alone, not because I find it boring, but because there's no way you're ever going to leave your point of view for what it is for one minute, or even a second, to listen more objectively to the point of view of someone who grew up there. & if you can't even seem to do that, I certainly don't stand a chance.

JohnnyNemesis
11-13-2006, 02:14 PM
A better way to sum up Isa Isa's post:

Shut the fuck up, Venom Symbiote. You're an idiot.

Venom Symbiote
11-13-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm going to try to leave this alone...because there's no way you're ever going to leave your point of view for what it is for one minute

Ok, not to get nitpicky here, but...are you? I mean, it's all well and good to say I'm stubborn, hell, I completely agree. I won't budge on this. But neither will you, you're just as staunchly standing by your opinion. Which is fine, too.

But it just seems a little dubious to accuse me of being narrow-minded and zealously sticking to my guns. The exact same thing's happening here with the other side, in case you haven't noticed.

We're all unwilling to listen to each other, which is inherently why this "debate" has gone on so long in the first place.

EDIT: Aww, Johnny. That's cute. And I totally love it how it's perfectly acceptable for you to say that here. Joyous double standards, they make me all warm and fuzzy inside.

JohnnyNemesis
11-13-2006, 02:17 PM
The exact same thing's happening here with the other side, in case you haven't noticed.

We're all unwilling to listen to each other, which is inherently why this "debate" has gone on so long in the first place.

Not quite. It's not exactly the same because you have...well, zero credibility here. It's not a matter of opinion so much as it's a matter of you using extremely limited experience while attempting to argue with people who are better travelled and more experienced than you are.

EDIT: Aww, Johnny. That's cute. And I totally love it how it's perfectly acceptable for you to say that here. Joyous double standards, they make me all warm and fuzzy inside.

EDIT: Yep. Before you pull out the favoritism thing, let me note that the reason it's acceptable is because I can actually back it up by explaining how you ARE an idiot, rather than just toss the insult out there.

Venom Symbiote
11-13-2006, 02:18 PM
It's not a matter of opinion so much as it's a matter of you using extremely limited experience while attempting to argue with people who are better travelled and more experienced than you are.

And...isn't that invalidated assumption, too? How the fuck do you know how much I've travelled, or how experienced with the world I am?

:confused:

It's the same damn thing, Chief.

killer_queen
11-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Bah, some people should not be allowed to speak and post and Vernomwhatever is one of them. I really enjoyed reading Isa and Iza's posts, by the way. We need more posts and users like them.
And holyfuckingshitIzaspeaksfivelanguagesandI'mnotthat jealousatall!!!11

JohnnyNemesis
11-13-2006, 02:20 PM
How the fuck do you know how much I've travelled, or how experienced with the world I am?

I know because you told us. I'm operating on the information you and everyone else shared, kiddo.

Venom Symbiote
11-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Can I ask where you've been? I'd think U.S./U.K./Canada/Japan/New Zealand is pretty decent overseas travelling experience for someone my age.

:rolleyes:

JoY
11-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Ok, not to get nitpicky here, but...are you? I mean, it's all well and good to say I'm stubborn, hell, I completely agree. I won't budge on this. But neither will you, you're just as staunchly standing by your opinion. Which is fine, too.

But it just seems a little dubious to accuse me of being narrow-minded and zealously sticking to my guns. The exact same thing's happening here with the other side, in case you haven't noticed.

am I?! what the fuck? you're the one that thinks (border) third world countries are by definition below your total fucking awesomeness & the awesomeness that's Australia, when never even having been to one, or something that comes even remotely close to it.

so.. I'm not letting go of my point of view, that you're stating something based on entirely nothing, but a fucking news bulletin? what, that's not an opinion. that's just the fucking way it is.

I'm not saying third world countries are superfantastic, I just said I've been to financially less fortunate countries & that I didn't only have a good time, but that I had the greatest time ever. not to mention the country was absolutely beautiful. that's an opinion, & if you'd been to (border) third world countries, you could have an opinion about the country & the time you'd had there too. but guess what;
YOU HAVEN'T.

JohnnyNemesis
11-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Can I ask where you've been?

No. You're the one who dug your own hole by mentioning five places that are essentially the same in terms of this particular argument. Why try to bring people down to your level instead of just arguing with their points?

I'd think U.S./U.K./Canada/Japan/New Zealand is pretty decent overseas travelling experience for someone my age.

And you'd be wrong.

Venom Symbiote
11-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Why the aggression, Joy? I made a conscious effort to turn that down in the last few posts, looks like it was a futile effort.

So statistics/living standards/credit rating/economy/healthcare/military power/social stability/mortality rates/UN travelling recommendations aren't a decent enough way to judge a country, is that what you're telling me?

Because, hey, the folks that are you know - running the world - would tend to disagree with you on that. Demographers, politicians, media groups, I'd still say I'm probably in the right here by saying Serbia isn't exactly one's definition of a desirable place to live. Is that...not fair?

Heh, fair enough JN. Fair enough. Agreed, they're pretty much the same. But hey, like I said, I try to stick to the civilized world, might as well make the most of the opportunities I have being born into it.

Oh, yeah, another point. For all my apparent ignorance, I'd still have a more worldly view and international exposure than someone from, you know...Serbia. :D

JohnnyNemesis
11-13-2006, 02:31 PM
So statistics/living standards/credit rating/economy/healthcare/military power/social stability/mortality rates/UN travelling recommendations aren't a decent enough way to judge a country, is that what you're telling me?

Pretty much.

Because, hey, the folks that are you know - running the world - would tend to disagree with you on that. Demographers, politicians, media groups, I'd still say I'm probably in the right here by saying Serbia isn't exactly one's definition of a desirable place to live. Is that...not fair?

No, it's NOT fair or accurate either. Why so much trust in such few people? Do we really have to bring you back to Common Sense 101 to explain how these people have their own interests at heart and aren't necessarily to be trusted? For fuck's sake, you mentioned MEDIA GROUPS in that list!

...fucking MEDIA GROUPS, dude!

It's a little embarrassing to read these comments from you, and for once I'm not insulting you at all. Or at least I'm trying not to.

For fuck's sake, MEDIA GROUPS?! POLITICIANS?

Oh, yeah, another point. For all my apparent ignorance, I'd still have a more worldly view and international exposure than someone from, you know...Serbia. :D

Untrue.

...MEDIA GROUPS?! WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?!

...sorry. I swear I'm trying not to make you look stupid. But...

...FUCK! POLITICIANS?!

Venom Symbiote
11-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Oh, so you're one of the "CNN are the devil" kids, huh?

Never trust someone without dreadlocks and a Peace Corps certificate?

JohnnyNemesis
11-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Oh, so you're one of the "CNN are the devil" kids, huh?

...wait, are you being real now, or just acting stupid on purpose?

That was a serious question, I swear.

Venom Symbiote
11-13-2006, 02:37 PM
So was mine. Still haven't got a straight answer.

JohnnyNemesis
11-13-2006, 02:38 PM
I didn't answer because I honestly wasn't sure if you were being serious or stupid, which was why I asked that followup question.

And you're going to have to be a lot more eloquent if you want an answer, because I'm not sure what you're asking. "CNN are the devil"? 'the fuck is that supposed to mean?

WebDudette
11-13-2006, 02:39 PM
What you see on the news, isn't the whole story. If you where to watch local Arizona news you would think Arizona was full of killers, drunk drivers and child molesters. But the people who live here know diffrent. Sure, that stuff happens but it isn't as common as the news would like you to believe.

Venom Symbiote
11-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Oh, hey, journalism degree dude, I know, I know.

You don't take that as definitive. But the news organisations tend to report hard facts, it's up to you to put them in context. That's not what I hear a lot of teenagers/young adults saying these days. Fox News, I'll agree with. Puppets. But most of the mainstream news media outlets aren't anywhere near as horrible as people make them out to be. You still get the general scope of the situation, especially when you can filter out the occasional choice-of-word slant, which is more often than not extremely minor.

It's so much more different with local stories than big feature pieces, though. What, so violence in Iraq "happens, but nowhere near as often as you'd think"? Nope. Iraq is a shithole, even when you take out the current war. Cambodia? Shithole. Laos? Same deal. Most ex-Soviet states? The media's completely right.

Sure, there are coloured angles one or two of the big networks will take, but it's no big deal if you can intepret it and realise they do it. The facts are still the facts, no matter what phrases they choose to tell you it in.

Arizona may not be full of murderers and child molestors, but they are there. Which is what I'm getting at. Serbia is a dangerous place, no doubt about it. Maybe not to the same extent as the news would tell you, but fuck yes, it's a bad place to be. At least in comparison to what we all know.

Which, when you break it all down, is all I said in my original post.

JohnnyNemesis
11-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Ahhh, okay, now I see and understand what you're getting at. Still doesn't make sense to dismiss an entire fucking country though. I mean, sure, Iraq and a few other places, but the sweeping generalizations about "first world" and "third world" are still bullshit.

Venom Symbiote
11-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Erm, how?

I know the big governing groups don't like to use those terms anymore (politically incorrect, I guess), and I'm not even sure if Serbia is third-world (I'd say not). But it certainly ain't first.

But that's only an economic indicator. Serbia's problems aren't fucking financial. Racial tension to the point of trying to instigate genocide comes to mind. Major crime syndicates and drug runners also. Fuck.

HornyPope
11-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Serbia is only dangerous if you're a fag. Are you a fag, Venom?

You're guilty of shit demagoguery. You try to rationalise in your simpleton terms what you can never grasp. You're convinced that Serbia's reputation on the foreign front translates in four times as many people being mugged in the street as soon as they step of the front door. That's absolutly not the case. Serbian nationals are more likely to resort to violence to settle their differences because they don't live in a "civilised" society where everything is handled by law enforcement agencies and their branch-outs, and perhaps they have more issues to settle than the rest of this civilised world. But you don't get jumped on the streets because Serbians are simply savage like this. That's just the rational of a little sheltered boy who's too thick headed to understand. Well, and that you lack all experience.

JoY
11-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Why the aggression, Joy? I made a conscious effort to turn that down in the last few posts, looks like it was a futile effort.

Heh, fair enough JN. Fair enough. Agreed, they're pretty much the same. But hey, like I said, I try to stick to the civilized world, might as well make the most of the opportunities I have being born into it.

*nagging voice* "Why the aggression, Joy?" two words in caps in a post that consisted of a whole lot more aren't necessarily a sign of aggression. you made a conscious effort to turn down your aggression in your last few posts? save yourself the trouble. just go ahead & show me the man you are. oh, rarr.

you think you know it all, having seen absolutely nothing. I bet you called all those people, demographers, politicians & media groups to ask them their personal opinion of Serbia. because those people that are, you know, running the world, I bet they've all been to Serbia & take their families there for vacation every year, just to have a well based opinion of it. no, no & no, the news is not a tourguide. it'd make a very, very lousy one. & even if it was, nothing beats the actual experience.

so next time you judge a country you've never been to, ask people who have been to it, or come from that country; "hey, Iz? is it dangerous out there? I mean, can you set a foot outside your front door at night? what's your country like, girl?". she's an objective, rational, reasonable, friendly girl. she would've answered your question with the most brutally honest answer there is, because frankly, well yeah, that's the way she is.

you gave my post a tone, that doesn't fit the post, or me. you're defending a point based on absolutely nothing, thinking the news, that's well known for selecting drama to broadcast (see how I avoid caps? kudos please) is an objective & reliable source.

why don't you go see things for yourself some time, eh? do that "eye opening"-thing, you know, traveling & stuff. if you only go to the obvious places & the countries you have wealth in common with, then you can barely call it "traveling", can you?

Edit: I don't want to hear it anymore. my god. seriously.

wheelchairman
11-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Venom Symbiote, here's the thing. You are allowed to have stupid opinions and be ignorant. No one can know everything and assumption is just a common part of being a well-rounded individual with a good ability to analyse things etc. However, when it turns out your analysis is wrong, your assumptions are wrong, and people who know more about this one particular thing (and there will always be these people.) Then it's time to concede that yes, you were just assuming. No harm in that.

The conflict in Serbia was more or less resolved, to the best of my knowledge, 7 years ago. Sure that is not a long time. However even Eurolines travels to Belgrade these days, it's on the border of the EU, and probably is a hopeful to get in (should it follow Slovenia and Croatia.)

Their only fault is TRYING TO RUIN THE DANISH ECONOMY WITH 20 MILLION FAKE 20 DKK COINS. :( :( :(

Venom Symbiote
11-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Alright, so maybe I'm not street-wise in big bad Eastern-European terms.

:confused: You're basically agreeing with me, Pope, Serbia's fucking dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. If you're not used to "settling differences through violence" because, you know, your country for the most part is above that. Maybe I'm just a naive spoiled sheltered Westerner. Fine with me. Doesn't really have anything to do with Eastern Europe's merits V.S. everyone elses', though.

QUOTE:
"because those people that are, you know, running the world, I bet they've all been to Serbia & take their families there for vacation every year"

Um, hey Joy? Isn't that just my point? Ever ask yourself why not a lot of Westerners would pick out Serbia for a holiday? Like it or not, they probably have good reasons.

QUOTE:
"why don't you go see things for yourself some time, eh? do that "eye opening"-thing, you know, traveling & stuff. if you only go to the obvious places & the countries you have wealth in common with, then you can barely call it "traveling", can you?"

Uh, usually the fact they're financially stable doesn't come into it. Usually the fact they're safe and you don't risk dying does.

QUOTE:
"The conflict in Serbia was more or less resolved, to the best of my knowledge, 7 years ago. Sure that is not a long time. However even Eurolines travels to Belgrade these days"

And yep, I understand that. The war was still pretty recent though, and from what I hear...while better, Serbia's still not exactly safe.

HornyPope
11-13-2006, 03:11 PM
The conflict in Serbia was more or less resolved, to the best of my knowledge, 7 years ago.

Not really, mostly people just got tired of the nationalists' rhetoric, tired of following them. Kosovo, Vojvodina... are just pieces of land in the end, where in the case of the former very few Serbians want to live anymore. But if you show up wearing the wrong tshirt in a Serbian neighberhood (outside of central Belgrade), you'll probably get your ass handed to you by couple of thugs. But hey, that's normal in a Slav-land.

JoY
11-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Venom; that's MY point. they're sitting there, somewhere far far away in their comfi chairs with their hot coco, just like you.

Venom Symbiote
11-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Venom; that's MY point. they're sitting there, somewhere far far away in their comfi chairs with their hot coco, just like you.

So why would we give up our "comfy chairs and hot cocoa" as you put it to, as Pope just said, get stabbed or whatever for wearing the wrong t-shirt or belonging to an ethnic group that for whatever reason doesn't sit well with the people around you?

Sure, you can talk about "knowledge and understanding of how it works in other parts of the world", but in all honesty, why would I trade my nice cozy life in a developed nation to spend a while in a country that is...to put it mildly...less so?

wheelchairman
11-13-2006, 03:17 PM
Not really, mostly people just got tired of the nationalists' rhetoric, tired of following them. Kosovo, Vojvodina... are just pieces of land in the end, where in the case of the former very few Serbians want to live anymore. But if you show up wearing the wrong tshirt in a Serbian neighberhood (outside of central Belgrade), you'll probably get your ass handed to you by couple of thugs. But hey, that's normal in a Slav-land.

That's just how nationalist paramilitary thugs work. Same problem from Dublin to Belgrade. (although in Dublin it's justified :( :( )

HornyPope
11-13-2006, 03:20 PM
You're basically agreeing with me, Pope, Serbia's fucking dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. If you're not used to "settling differences through violence" because, you know, your country for the most part is above that.

No, it's only dangerous if you're being a fag. You've yet to answer me if you are one.
Seriously, going out on the street will NOT get you hurt. Knock this stupid perception out of your head, no one is going to jump you in the dark, you're just a fucking nobody minding his own business. Plus, there are cops in the downtown area wielding full automatic weapons, thieves and thugs alike know better than to commit their dirty deeds. In fact, there is less pickpoketing going on in Belgrade than in Paris.

JoY
11-13-2006, 03:26 PM
as Pope just said, get stabbed or whatever for wearing the wrong t-shirt or belonging to an ethnic group that for whatever reason doesn't sit well with the people around you?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

are you a troll?

Sure, you can talk about "knowledge and understanding of how it works in other parts of the world", but in all honesty, why would I trade my nice cozy life in a developed nation to spend a while in a country that is...to put it mildly...less so?

if I have to explain to you it's fantastic to see, hear, taste, feel, percieve & experience new & different things.. then this discussion definitely isn't going anywhere. it's never about knowledge & understanding. you can't understand something you don't know & it's impossible to know a culture in totality, if you were never a part of it. this is about exploring the world you live in, but never mind, you're seriously never going to get it. I showed you that picture of Belgrade by night. it's about enriching yourself with seeing things & sights like that. not to mention the food, the people, the culture....

HornyPope
11-13-2006, 03:26 PM
So why would we give up our "comfy chairs and hot cocoa" as you put it to, as Pope just said, get stabbed or whatever for wearing the wrong t-shirt or belonging to an ethnic group that for whatever reason doesn't sit well with the people around you?

No one here is going to give it away because it's not his battle to fight.

There are more important things in life than one's "comfort".
What is that? Love for one's country. You strike me as a typical patriotic kid so you'll probably understand if I said that what makes a country great is the ties you have to this land.

Venom Symbiote
11-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Oh, trust me, I'm not patriotic. I hate my country, we're drunken America-hating liberal douchebags.

QUOTE:
"HAHAHAHAHAHA!!
are you a troll?"

Convenient reply, much?

QUOTE:
"this is about exploring the world you live in,"

Sure, but why explore something that doesn't have as much to offer as what you already know? Isn't it better to make the most of what you have, not go enlighten yourself on other people's misfortunes? I can't exactly help the poor Serbians by going to scope the place out, and there's nothing there to offer me, so why explore inferiority unless I can help them better themselves?

And as for the photo of Belgrade by night...please. Looks like every other city in the world. Buildings, lights. That's meant to cleanse my mind of the other stuff that goes on there and make me think "Aww, it has pretty lights and a body of water, it can't be that bad?" :eek: Not the way it works. My city's pretty average, and has more picturesque cityscape views than that at every corner, if you're downtown. Not impressive.

As for HornyPope, to answer your (somewhat vague) question, fag as in homosexual, or fag as in "pussy" (which seems to be more your definition). The former, no, the latter, most likely. I'm not a pussy in my suburban environment, but a pussy by war-torn Belgrade standards? You betcha. I probably am.

And regarding the pick-pocketing thing, sure, wouldn't surprise me. Paris is full of French people.

Vera
11-13-2006, 03:55 PM
but in all honesty, why would I trade my nice cozy life in a developed nation to spend a while in a country that is...to put it mildly...less so?

Because if you've never been, you don't know what it's *really* like. Like with any holiday. I can imagine an Irish pub lunch but I won't really know what it's like until I actually go to Ireland, visit a pub and have lunch there.

That's a shitty metaphor but it's there because it's something that I've personally experienced. Not exactly extreme but hey, I am a total pussy.

Either way, to use a better example, take India. A developing country, a huge population of which a huge portion lives in completely shitty conditions. Would I want to visit it? Hell yes. And not just for the sandy beaches of Goa or the tourist friendly urban centers of Mumbai & Delhi, I'd be keen on travelling in stuffed buses across Tamil Nadu & visit Kerala. Would it be comfortable? No. Would I be looking for comfortable? No. I'd want to experience India as it is - if I want to sleep in my own bed, I could just stay at home. But at home I can't see what India is really like. I can sure try but it won't be the real deal until I go there, see it, taste it, smell it, touch it. There'd be negative experiences, I may end up hating some aspects of the entire journey, I may get fed up etc etc. But I may also be totally enamoured with certain aspects of the culture and life I experienced in India.

You can't put aside the realities but you can't also be ignore the fact that countries are more than crime charts.

Venom Symbiote
11-13-2006, 04:05 PM
That's a shitty metaphor

It is. The vast majority of Ireland is pretty safe, not to mention modern.

Regarding India, I definitely understand what you're saying. The same reason that I'd be interested in checking out the Great Wall of China and a lot of Asian culture. But hey, while you can't see the Great Wall in Japan, you can experience a lot of similar eastern cultural traditions, in a much safer environment. So screw China, I've been to Japan, I loved it, I'm happy to stay in safe ol' Modern Human Rights Land and make do with watching the Wall on the fucking Discovery Channel instead.

And hey, to add insult to injury for everyone's seemingly loved country, Serbia, it doesn't even have a Wonder of the world to make it worth enduring the risk for. Serbia basically has nothing to offer I couldn't experience in other, safer Euro-regions.

Vera
11-13-2006, 04:25 PM
And hey, to add insult to injury for everyone's seemingly loved country, Serbia, it doesn't even have a Wonder of the world to make it worth enduring the risk for. Serbia basically has nothing to offer I couldn't experience in other, safer Euro-regions.

That is, in your knowledge, which we know at this point isn't particularly large. I don't know much either but it's exactly because of my lack of knowledge that makes me refrain from making statements like "Serbia is a shitty country with nothing to offer - probably also a shitty place to live with nothing going for it!".

The way I see it, it's not for you or me to decide what Serbia has going for it. It's quite the matter of taste. I'd like to visit India, Japan, possibly New Zealand. I wouldn't care to go to Namibia, Iceland or Switzerland. Does that mean they suck as countries? Nah, not particularly.

Also, the Japan/China comment is so ignorant I won't even fucking touch it.

Venom Symbiote
11-13-2006, 04:38 PM
I was talking traditional Japanese culture V.S. traditional Chinese culture, both of which I know a fair amount about, and they definitely have their similarities.

I've experienced the traditional small-town Japanese culture first-hand, why would I need to go to China to do the same thing?

JoY
11-13-2006, 04:45 PM
whatever, read what Sanni said. she's rational, reasonable, awesome & stuff.

Sanni, your last line.. I could relate to it immediately. also, you phrased it like you were looking at dirty man speedo's someone'd asked you to wash. *cracks up* <33

Venom Symbiote
11-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Why would I have bothered responding if I didn't read what she said?

I know you hate me, but hey, at least give me that much credit.

And regarding the Japan/China corellation, I know my shit, so don't question that.

HornyPope
11-13-2006, 05:16 PM
And as for the photo of Belgrade by night...please. Looks like every other city in the world. Buildings, lights.

Just so you know that picture (where the statue is standing) was shot on a site of a two millenia old castle that is very well preserved today, albeit in a wild fashion. The castle is a historic monument to many battles and uprisings in the hands of powers aiming to control Belgrade and the region of the Danube.

To make the site even more fascinating, it features a long exhibition of 20th century tanks including models you'll very seldom see in the West today.

(dont remember where my pics are else id post them)

Not like I care what you think, but I for one found it a very exciting site. I also bought there a genuine flag of a Serbian brigade circa WW2.

I can't exactly help the poor Serbians by going to scope the place out, and there's nothing there to offer me, so why explore inferiority unless I can help them better themselves?

Wow you're a douche.

And regarding the pick-pocketing thing, sure, wouldn't surprise me. Paris is full of French people.

Actually come to think of it, Belgrade streets are probably more safer than most American major centers. It's obviously hard to compare and translate stats, but few nights in downtown LA convinced me that place is utter garbage past 5pm. It's full of hobbos and junkies.

Venom Symbiote
11-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Well, of course. It's L.A.

JoY
11-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Venom: I don't hate you. you wouldn't even be the first person to ever hate over the internet in my book. yes, we're talking about an internet message board. I hope you will read this, even though it's long. it's personal. I hope you can appreciate it & remotely understand it to a point we disagree, but at least "understand" each other's point of view.

to be honest, I feel you are going to miss out on a whole lot in your life, if you maintain your current attitude & that you'll repeatedly get into trouble, if you keep spreading opinions based on so little. because it's inevitable you'll run into a whole lot more people with more experience on subjects like these than you have.

personally I can't understand at ALL why you don't seem to feel any desire to see, feel, taste, touch, hear, overal experience, new things. that's where our differences in opinions lie. you feel Serbia has nothing to offer you & I feel it has a whole new experience to offer me. I've never been to Serbia, but I've heard quite a few times it's supposed to be beautiful.

I do want to go to Belgrade at least once in my life. I wouldn't care if it was now, or later, when things are going better. I'm not going there waving around the wrong flag, screaming out the wrong exclamations & spreading the wrong opinions. I'm not coming to cause riots, or to get in trouble, I respect every other culture I go to & wouldn't do that anywhere. except maybe in my own country, if I was desperately hoping for things to change. I come to experience a piece of that country & if there happens to be shit going on, well, that all is part of the experience then, I suppose.

of course I'm not talking about being stabbed. if there's shit going on I'm going to experience, I'm talking for instance about being robbed a couple of times & seeing millions of "houses" just outside the city with entire families in them, that are not much more than a carton box. I'm not scared to see misery, without being able to really, actually, truly do something about it. it doesn't involve me & I can't help it. I didn't cause it & there's no way that on my own I could really make a true difference. I sometimes think I might work for Doctors Without Borders in places where they need it the most later, but that'd be the idealistic side of me being realised. I still don't feel it's my responsibility to try to make a difference, but if I eventually feel some kind of calling to do so, I'll listen to it.

I don't know how much of a music-lover you are, but personally I'm intrigued by foreign music. it enriches the whole experience & completes the whole setting & image you're getting of a place/country. I was in LOVE with the African & Cuban music. I've bought many cd's in my life to keep the remembrance alive, but it's nothing like the real deal. honestly. because the stripped concept of *music* doesn't do it justice. their music stands for a whole lot more, you only feel when being there, listening to them playing. one of these types of music, that you need to experience as a whole, is gipsy music. sure, I'm a sucker for it, I even play it. but playing it doesn't exactly give me any satisfaction. not like that. it's not like it offers me gipsy music the way I could experience it right there, where it belongs, where they dance on it, where they play it....

now.. this concept of music.. many things put together form a certain setting, so you can apply what I just said to many things. it's food, that won't taste as good anywhere else. it's water, that's so blue & so wide, any "seaworld" in your country couldn't replace it. it's people & colours, it's clothing, it's fabrics... & you could try to buy their stuff, bring it home with you & it will remember you of how it was there.. but it doesn't truly bring you back there. nevermind if you never were there.

in my mind right now I'm traveling to all the places I've been to. it's not the longest list there'll ever be, but it's a decent list. it includes countries that aren't in the best possible situation, but man, the impressions, the landscapes, the people, the attitude, the music, the smell, the colours of the fabrics, the food & so many other things.. made such a gigantic impression, I've been sitting here for half an hour, replying to you without actually typing, traveling back in my mind to all the places I've been to, dreaming away, my eyes sometimes almost filling up with tears. that's how great it was. & having seen all of that once won't do & won't keep me home for the rest of my life, or even the upcoming few years. I want to see more & what I've seen I want to see again. I can't get enough of it, because traveling & sucking up the atmosphere of something I'm not familliar with & that isn't every day business to me, is something I sincerely love to do. plus, there have been countries I've fallen so madly in love with, I need to see them again. but Zimbabwe..? I dunno. seeing they're right now kind of stuck in this trend that they kill white people for being white, I guess I'll keep my distance & come back later.

Llamas
11-13-2006, 05:56 PM
You have no respect for the importance of culture. Also, I don't believe that news programs are full of bold lies and false statements. However, news reporters go for what's exciting and what sells. "Here we have a beautiful city called Belgrade. They have a very interesting culture involving..." is not going to sell like "Today in Belgrade, an American was mugged."

On the news (CNN), I remember seeing some stuff about how people were getting held up on busses in Colombia. They talked about a couple instances in one day, and though they didn't lie, they built it up to seem very, very common. I know several people who lived most of their lives in Colombia, and only ONE of them had ever heard of that happening.

Yes, the news broadcasts present facts. However, news is 99% impossible to broadcast without any opinion or persuasion, even if subconscious. It's often not the intention of the news program; they're just doing their jobs in reporting what's the most interesting. But when you just see what's most publicly fascinating (face it, people tend to CARE and talk more about the bad things they hear on the news than the good things), and then you make sweeping statements based on those things, you are being very ignorant.

These news broadcasters have never been there. What makes you think that they are capable of presenting to you what a country is like?

Why do you think so many people visit Mexico and South America? Those are full of third world countries. They're "dangerous". Yet there are SOOOO many tourist attractions in these places! How can you look at the numbers of tourists in those areas and claim that nobody wants to visit those places?

I've learned something things since I started studying German culture and English as a second language (primarily the latter), and since I started posting here. I definitely learned a lot of falacies in my life about many different countries. Now that I'm able to talk to more Europeans here, and I'm able to actually TEACH people from 3rd world countries and developing countries, I'm learning that so many things I've heard as fact are either false or very exagerrated or misunderstood. Things that I had heard on the news through the way things are presented and such have been proven wrong to me. Some of these people are from the middle east and are from countries like serbia, ethiopia, etc.

The people here besides you have experience. Some of them have BEEN to such countries, I know lots of people from these countries. You only know what you've seen on tv. That is NOT adequate basis for your opinion, which you continually present as fact.

Izie
11-13-2006, 08:21 PM
And all of this (certain people's awesomeness and certain people's brainlessness) brings me to my ultimate point: giving advice/trying to prove people there's more to the world than what their little eyes see is useless. Smart people don't need it, stupid people will never get it.

Guess who falls in the second category?

Anyway whatever, I'm going back to my much more useful state where I don't deal with dumbfucks (who still never answered my question by the way, probably because they can't, but hey, not like it matters, it's good to try and ignore the challenges that show you're a dumbfuck) - I simply ignore them, because the man I married will do my dirty work while I spend time making money - this way I can come home and do the usual "lol look at the retard get pwn3d" routine that makes me very happy :)

And then have SEX. With my HUSBAND.

Lol!

JohnnyNemesis
11-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Someone as insanely hot as you bragging about sex with Vlad is like Donald Trump bragging about winning $5 on a scratch off lottery ticket.

(lawlz!)

HornyPope
11-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Dats cuz u didn't fuck me. My sex is like whoa.

Izie
11-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Stop dissing the man I married before I destroy your butt, you pansy Latino.

Oh, and that^, obviously. Do I need to mention it?

JohnnyNemesis
11-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Dats cuz u didn't fuck me. My sex is like whoa.

I totally did fuck you! Just never in "reality" or whatever the fuck you want to call it. But my dreams are just as legitimate, assholes :mad:

Stop dissing the man I married before I destroy your butt, you pansy Latino.

I'm just jealous. Of you, not him. Pfft, UR FRUM SERBIA< I JHERD ITZ BAD THER! :( i scare of u :( :(

Izie
11-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Stay away from my man, you man-slut, or I'll take you to Belgrade with me and let the Serbs mug, rape and murder your foreign ass! Because you can't go out into the street without that happening! Lololol beat that!

0r4ng3
11-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Um, sorry to get off-topic here, but...how's the nightlife of wherever you all are from?

Izie
11-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Shhhh, we just managed to kill the thread!

Vera
11-14-2006, 03:25 AM
If Serbs are so fucking dangerous, how come Iza didn't steal my virginity when I spent several days with her in Amsterdam? We even slept on the same bed once but no surprise sex. :( What a fuckin' let down. I'm never going to Belgrade if the service is this bad!! Fucking deliver what you promised on CNN, Serbia!!!

Slav motherfuckers.

Iza's right that some people just won't get it, but seriously, Japanese basically ripped off the Chinese way back in the past. So why would you want to go see the ripped off culture? Comfier hotel beds? Plz. China's a growing economy. If you can afford their nicer hotels, you'll sleep just as comfortably as in Japan. Besides, nowadays the two countries couldn't be more drastically different - if you're in Japan, you're getting Japan, there ain't anything Chinese about it. Tell any Japanese person you came into their country to check out old Chinese culture and they're sure to go ninja on your ass. And really, if you know "your shit" when it comes to these two cultures, you wouldn't be saying you could go check out the same crap on that island near China.

Vera
11-14-2006, 04:18 AM
You have to take precautions anywhere in the world. Finland is safe as fuck - but that doesn't mean I would get drunk and walk through a dark park near the city center, totally carefree - I know the rape statistics of the park, it just wouldn't be safe for me. Or hang around certain places at 3 AM. It's pretty much about knowing what to watch out for, and what to be careful about.

Of course when travelling there's more to find out about - what places not to eat at to avoid diarrhea, what shots to get before you travel, how people do business in that country, what ways someone could try and cheat a tourist over there, stuff you should know no matter where you travel, no matter how progressive or unprogressive that nation is.

So basically, what Maria also pointed out.

Izie
11-14-2006, 08:02 AM
If Serbs are so fucking dangerous, how come Iza didn't steal my virginity when I spent several days with her in Amsterdam? We even slept on the same bed once but no surprise sex. :( What a fuckin' let down. I'm never going to Belgrade if the service is this bad!! Fucking deliver what you promised on CNN, Serbia!!!

Slav motherfuckers.

I drugged you first so you don't remember!

(the real question would be, if Serbs are so fucking dangerous, then I'm supposed to have been mugged 765 times, raped about 50 and murdered at least once, no?)

Anyway, we love Finns. You guy drink almost as much as we do, yell at random shit and are generally awesome. Or that could just be you. But either way. <333

And Maria does have a great point about being careful.

the_GoDdEsS
11-14-2006, 08:05 AM
People who don't know shit should not have opinions. Ignorant retard.