PDA

View Full Version : Make up!

Izie
11-13-2006, 10:32 AM
I'd ressurect the old make-up thread (I'm sure there is one), but I'm too lazy to look.

I'm a brand-new North American, so I might not know all the brands you peoples have... And I need mascara, and there's no Bourjois retailer in Montreal (*cryz cryz cryz*), so how about you girls share a little?

European advice very welcome as well, as long as I can get the stuff here as well.

Current options:

-Diorshow (Dior)
-Hypnose (Lancome)
-Fatale? (Lancome)

If anyone finds the old makeup thread, we'll just merge this. Otherwise, feel free to make-up rant all you like :p

Rag Doll
11-13-2006, 10:39 AM
i use Diorshow Unlimited mostly. my cheap alternative to that, if i need a mascara to just throw in my purse or take somewhere that i might end up losing it, is Avon's Super Full. i actually like it a lot, i just like the Diorshow a bit better, but it doesn't clump in the slightest. i'm pretty sure you can order from their website www.avon.com.

*edit*
yes, you can order from their site. and this (http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.asp?pf_id=29780&from=search&find_spec=super%20full&camp=200624&dir_delivery=1&rep_delivery=1) is what i was talking about...

and Iz....you cant get Bourjois from Sephora? or you have no Sephora?

Tizzalicious
11-13-2006, 10:46 AM
No Bourjois? :( I can't find it here either!

I would give you advice, but when I got advice it was from you, so I know nothing new :P

Maybe you could find it somewhere online though?

Or I could bring some? Which colour do you want?

Izie
11-13-2006, 10:47 AM
They have Sephora in Toronto (or somewhere around it), and I'm too lazies for it :p I could online shop, but I prefer actually going to the store with all the shiny make up boxes and and the colours and the sparkles and the perfumes and mmmmmmm

Yes, I'm an addict :(

Diorshow Unlimited was on the top of my list, I'll see what other people have to say, but all I've heard so far was good. New mascara, here I come!

I also need crazy-coloured eyeliners/eyepencils. Hmmmmmmmm.

Tizzalicious
11-13-2006, 10:47 AM
I'm an idiot and didn't see you wanted mascara...

RickyCrack
11-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Clinique ?

Llamas
11-13-2006, 10:51 AM
lol boys only post in here when they are the homoz.

Tizzalicious
11-13-2006, 10:53 AM
I actually have a make up question too, I was gonna make a thread//ask on LJ, but I might aswell do it here:

Loose powder. How does it work? Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I just don't understand how to use it. There's the fluffy thing, and sift kind of thing, do I press down on the sift thingie? Or do I put it on there, hold it upside down, and get the powder on the fluffy thing that way? Or do I just dip the fluffy thing in the powder?

I tried a few ways, but it just doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever, but my old powder broke in a million pieces when I dropped it, as did the one I had before that, and the one before that, so I figured loose powder was the way to go...but I seem to be too stupid for it.

Izie
11-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Aw Tizzje <333 I have loose powder in a brush, so I don't need to do anything like what you described :p I'd imagine you should press down on the sift thingie with the fluffy thingie and then apply it... But indeed, it doesn't have a lot of effect. It makes you shine less (which I don't anyway) and it collects the dirt from the air so it doesn't get on your face, but that's about it...

I use liquid foundation once every 4 months when I get a zit :p No wonder it's been lasting me for years, haha

Thanks for the offer, but maaaaan it's an excuse to go to a make up store and SHOP. I WANNA.

RickyCrack brings news. I've never actually tried Clinique o.o Oh no, wait, I have, Vlad's mom gave me some of their products, they're good! Now I'm in doubt :/

Amiralanal
11-13-2006, 10:57 AM
those makeup commercials fucking piss me off

Tizzalicious
11-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Aw Tizzje <333 I have loose powder in a brush, so I don't need to do anything like what you described :p I'd imagine you should press down on the sift thingie with the fluffy thingie and then apply it... But indeed, it doesn't have a lot of effect. It makes you shine less (which I don't anyway) and it collects the dirt from the air so it doesn't get on your face, but that's about it...

I use liquid foundation once every 4 months when I get a zit :p No wonder it's been lasting me for years, haha

I've had my liquid foundation for aaaages too! I used it more when I had that huge ourbreak last year, but now it's all fine, so no need for that.

And the powder...I DO shine a lot, and my old powder was perfect for that, it was the colour of my skin, so it just made me prettier. This one does...nothing. I guess I'll try a few more times, and if it really doesn't work I'll just get the one I had before again. That was nice.

Izie
11-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Which one do you have now/which one did you have before?

I've only used one in my entire life - the Bourjois loose powder in a brush. It's not that easy to find my shade :(

Tizzalicious
11-13-2006, 11:05 AM
I had "Gosh", I never saw it in Holland, I bought it here.

And now I have Max Factor, I don't think that one even has a shade.

Tizzalicious
11-13-2006, 11:21 AM
So you press it on, and then when there's nothing, you turn it over and press on that side?

Rag Doll
11-13-2006, 11:22 AM
i believe Maria means turn as in "spin" not "flip". so you should be able to twist some part of the sifter/what holds the powder.

Izie
11-13-2006, 11:26 AM
I saw Gosh somewhere, prolly in Belgium... And I never liked Max Factor :(

Tizzalicious
11-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Aaah alright! I tried that, and it looks like it will work.

Tizzalicious
11-13-2006, 11:27 AM
I saw Gosh somewhere, prolly in Belgium... And I never liked Max Factor :(

Oww :(

no Gosh in Holland, it sucks, because it's really great, it stays on forever, and looks pretty. But I can buy it here now anyway, the only moment I got annoyed at Holland for not having one is when I dropped mine in the sink while being in Holland, so I couldn't buy new :(

Izie
11-13-2006, 11:43 AM
I told you about Gosh :p

I wanted to check MAC out. Anyone got experience?

Rag Doll
11-13-2006, 11:55 AM
MAC stuff is pretty good. they have a ton of pretty awesome eyeshadow. i've never purchased any of their stuff though, just played with it in the store. i was thinking of getting some eyeshadow the other day....but i had already spent way too much =(

Izie
11-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Ahaaaa then I'll venture out to the MAC store one of these days! It's close to where I work *shifts eyes*

I just shouldn't be allowed inside with too much money on my hands. :(

Rag Doll
11-13-2006, 12:04 PM
dammit, Iz. now i totally wanna go to MAC cause i have money. rarrrr.

wheelchairman
11-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Makeup is so bourjois.

HeadAroundU
11-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Carefully, ladies, I'm very sensitive to make-up, like the clitoris. If it's cool, I love you. If it sucks, I wanna kill.

Izie
11-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Makeup <333

Commies - shhhhh!

HAU - totally agreed. Anyone who uses too much/bad makeup just ends up like a clown. Then again I'm sooooo picky about what I'll like I'll classify a LOT of things as bad makeup :/

Maria - I've never tried Chanel eyepowders, but I thought Lancome eyeshadows were pretty good - they had great colours and they stayed put. Thoughts?

killer_queen
11-13-2006, 01:08 PM
omgomgomg, I love this thread!

Well, diorshow is reaaaaally good but since I've used fatale it has became my favourite. I also suggest you Dior's Ultimeyes. Especially the purple one is so cool.

Max Factor has some amazing products but they're really bad for sensitive eyes :( And I love buying expensive stuff so, no.

MAC is only good at eye shadows and makeup brushes. Some say lipsticks are also good but I definitely don't agree.

I've never tried Chanel's eye powders but I'm all with you about Lancome's eyeshadows. Givenchy's mono eyeshadows can make you yayz.

And I swear I'm a smart girl and I read books and stuff. Makeup is not the only thing that I'm good. Seriously.

killer_queen
11-13-2006, 01:23 PM
P.S.: since it's French, it's good. Other than that I cannot tell! :p
YES! My country hates me for buying all those French products but as you can guess, I don't care. American brands are good too but they don't have good packages, bottles and stuff like French brands.

Llamas
11-13-2006, 01:34 PM
I think I'm the only girl left out in this thread... stupid menot waering makeup. :(

Izie
11-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Thank you, Gulsah! I guess I'll try both Diorshow and Fatale and see what I like better.

I was always operating under the impression that Dior is amazing when it comes to lipstuff whereas Lancome is amazing when it comes to eyestuff. Then I tried to switch and it turned out both were amazing in every way. Gruff. Too many decisions.

But it is true, French cosmetics own every other type, sorry.

Now I want even more make up :( Except I don't need it. Shame on me!

JoY
11-13-2006, 07:24 PM
oh whoopsie, this reminds me I desperately need new mascara. & seeing I barely to never wear that stuff, it better look good on the occasions I actually took the effort to apply it.

I had this Volume Shocking mascara from L'oreal paris. I liked it, but it's one of those b&w things, you know. & the black side had a weird brush, more like a comb, & the mascara cluttered too easily. plus, I don't like black all that much on me. so I ended up using the white brush of the Volume Shocking mascara, finishing it with Black/Brown (so basically dark brown) 2000 Calorie Dramatic Look mascara from Max Factor.

now both of them are pretty much empty/dried out, so I should definitely get something else. the name Diorshow I've heard a couple of times in a positive daylight. hmmm..

Izie
11-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Be a sellout like me and buy Diorshow! Come oooooooooon!

*can't way to go shopping after seeing last paycheck*

Isolated Fury
11-14-2006, 02:29 AM
If I wanted to scream "Look at me!" I'd show what happens when girlfriends attack with make up. I was defenseless... playing a video game.

Nina
11-14-2006, 04:42 AM
I had "Gosh", I never saw it in Holland, I bought it here.

remember when clumsy old me accidentally threw it down :[

Tizzalicious
11-14-2006, 04:47 AM
remember when clumsy old me accidentally threw it down :[

You didn't break it though, then I dropped it again, and did break it :( While you were still with me, right?

Paint_It_Black
11-14-2006, 05:02 AM
If I wanted to scream "Look at me!" I'd show what happens when girlfriends attack with make up. I was defenseless... playing a video game.

Is it worse than this?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/afisoadnin/tattoo3.jpg

Isolated Fury
11-14-2006, 06:47 AM
Actually... I don't think so. But still horrible.

EDIT: I was playing a gmae when she did that, too. Notice the controller in my hands that you can't see.

Little_Miss_1565
11-14-2006, 07:04 AM
Tizz, as far as the powder goes, just buy a powder brush and use that. Don't bother with the poof they give you--with loose powder, it's really hard to be able to control how much you put on and can often end up wearing too much.

My favorite loose powder is, surprise of all surprises, Burt's Bees. It's all natural and absorbs shine like nothin' else.

My favorite mascara is Bad Gal by Benefit. Izie, I swear to god Sephora is worth any effort to get to.

Izie
11-14-2006, 09:03 AM
Ackghhhh too many choices now! I'll just let the salesgirl convince me into buying the most expensive one, bah.

Little_Miss_1565
11-14-2006, 09:16 AM
BTW, Sephora carries Bourjois.

Tizzalicious
11-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Thanks Sarah, I'll go get me a brush!

Izie
11-14-2006, 11:01 AM
BTW, Sephora carries Bourjois.

I know. But they hate French Canadians :(

Vera
04-12-2007, 02:40 AM
Help sought!

I realized some of my make up is old and I want to buy new pretty stuffs.

LIST!

Eye shadow!! Problem: what colours suit me? I have some brown/light brown ones for boring ordinary day stuff and some shimmery stuff for evening make up but I want cooler ordinary day eye shadow and cooler shimmery stuff. You guys know what my eyes look like, suggestions for colours please??
Coloured lipgloss because lipstick makes me look like a whore. Problem: colours? Brand? What's good, what sucks? SUGGESTIONS WELCOME.
POWDER. I've never used powder or foundation because my skin is PURRRFECT but now I'm thinking I should learn how to use some..
Something else that is awesome and makes me feel pretty. Suggestions to what this may be are more than welcome.

Tizzalicious
04-12-2007, 02:58 AM
For powder, do you have Gosh in Finland? I found that in Denmark and love it, it stays forever and it's awesome.

Other things...BLUSH! Not too much of course, but a little = <3

Vera
04-12-2007, 03:06 AM
I can't use blush. :(

Plus I wouldn't know which type/tone to buy.

Omg I'm such a make-uptard.

Tizzalicious
04-12-2007, 03:10 AM
Sure you can use blush, you just need to practice a little, and not overuse it. And don't take one that's too bright!

I don't know how I picked the right one, I just bought one, and it turned out to be good.

I suck with make up too though, I always use the same. I got advice about foundation once, and found the right powder by accident, and now I'm never gonna switch again.

You should ask in the store though (just go to a really expensive one, ask about eyeshadow colours, but don't buy it there. :P)

killer_queen
04-12-2007, 03:30 AM
Oh, great. Finally something I can talk about for hours.

Let's start with eye shadow. The best color for you is blue of course. Anyone with blue eyes think blue eye shadows would look good on them but no. It only ooks good with charmingblue eyes like yours. Guerlain has a very lovely stuff that can be used as both eyeshadow and eyeliner. You should get the navy one.
Purple is also a good choice. In fact, what I would suggest you is this (http://www.strawberrynet.com/productDetail.aspx?ProdId=30543&goChar=Y).
ALWAYS use eye pencil (or khol, or whatever you call it) because your eyes' shape is wonderful.

I know you said you didn't want lipstick but Clinique's butter shine lipsticks and Lancome's Juicy Rouges look like lipgloss. In fact, better than lipgloss. they don't give you that sticky, gooey feeling. But if you are happy with that feeling go with Dior's plastic gloss.

If your skin is really purrrfect don't bother with powder, I'd say. No need to ruin your skin. If you want to bring light or color to your face The Body Shop has awesome beads for it. Get the pearly ones, not the bronze. Unfortunately it discontinued so you should check ebay for it. If you are willing to pay more Guerlain's Les Meteorites beads are great too.

Every girl should have a foundation. Although you have a perfect skin foundation can make a huge difference. The point is not using it all the time. Only on big occasions. Don't spend too much on it since you won't use it that often. L'Oreal's True Match is cool.

Blush is a lovely product for fair skins. Again, Clinique's blushes are silky and cheap. Go with the pink ones. Blush must be pink. Never, ever get those bronze, brown or orange ones.

If you want something else to make you pretty get a liquid luminizer (stila, preferably). Looks awesome when you go out at night.

Vera
04-12-2007, 03:57 AM
Tizz - Yeah, I exaggerated.. Something light colored would probably be fine. Though I always feel it won't make much of a different to put on blush. I dunno why.

I always feel bad for asking for advice and then leaving a shop without buying anything. I know a store where the staff is always nice and helpful but if I go ask the lady at the Chanel or Lancome stand some help with colors, I feel like I should also buy something from Chanel or Lancome to make up for her trouble (even though she probably gets paid 10 times my hour wage) and not head to the L'Oreal/cheaper make up department to look for the same colours.

Though I think I might buy something awesomely expensive and then everything else go with cheaper products. A bit of luxury = yummy.

I have Dior Lipgloss (still some left from the time I bought it at Helsinki airport when I went to A-dam!) but it's the see through kind that doesn't make me look like a whore. Or not a whore but I have a DOLL MOUTH which sounds dirty but seriously, I love my lips but they're so tiny and if I put lipstick on them, it seriously has this incredibly whorish geisha effect where I look like I'm about to go blow someone or like I was just bought by somebody from the toy store.

Anyhooo. I suppose I'll try out some colored lipglosses.

Eye shadow is my biggest dilemma, really. Blue/purple eye shadow is "so 80s" to me and I'm not sure if it'd look good. But I guess I could try it out at the store or something.

There seem to be such contradicting color analyses... One thing says if you have blue eyes, you need to go with browns. Another one says if you have blue eyes, you need to go with blues. What to believe..

I've always had liquid luminizer but my last one run out so gotta buy a new pencil, yays. Better buy an expensive one, otherwise it's no use.

Tizzalicious
04-12-2007, 04:08 AM
. L'Oreal's True Match is cool.

Very true. That's the one I have too. It's great.

bananaphone
04-12-2007, 06:40 AM
This is sad.

entire thread about makeup? :eek:

Grabbal
04-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Are you a girl Bananaphone??

Izie
04-12-2007, 07:14 AM
Let's start with eye shadow. The best color for you is blue of course. Anyone with blue eyes think blue eye shadows would look good on them but no. It only ooks good with charmingblue eyes like yours. Guerlain has a very lovely stuff that can be used as both eyeshadow and eyeliner. You should get the navy one.
Purple is also a good choice. In fact, what I would suggest you is this (http://www.strawberrynet.com/productDetail.aspx?ProdId=30543&goChar=Y).
ALWAYS use eye pencil (or khol, or whatever you call it) because your eyes' shape is wonderful.

Yup, blue. Purple too, although you'd have to try it out, it's the only colour I'm not too big on :/ White. Silverish. Maybe something aqua? Again, a matter of trying. Grey. Black, for the eyeliner, or even the shadow, if you're good with it. And yes, definitely get the eye pencil or the eyeliner. They're <3 I have them in SO many colours, they're the best thing ever.

Dior lipgloss is amazing according to me, also, sheer lipsticks are awesome, because they don't have a thick colour, it's more a lipgloss look with a lipstick feeling. Dior addict ultra shine sheer lipstick is what I go with. The name explains it all, it's sheer and shiny, there's not too much colour coverage, but the effect is awesome!

I have loose powder, it's ok. Basically it evens you out a little and mattifies the skin. I still have my old Bourjois, the first one I ever got, so I don't know anything about others :p Same with my foundation, I use it instead of the correction stick, or when I'm tired, or whatever. I also like it because it has a certain amount of SPF in it so yay! I'd definitely get both, but not too expensive ones.

Pink blush is awesome. I have clinique too, and I'm pretty satisfied. I also have brownish, however, and I don't think it looks bad, but you're a blue-eyed blonde, I'd definitely go with pink.

Other than that? I love liquid eyeliners with sparkles in them. I put them over my eyepencil (because they're actually see-through, they only have the sparkles) so they give extra sparkle and sort of fix the eye pencil in place, because they don't smudge.

Randomly, best mascara ever is what Tizz and Per got me for Christmas, it's the Bourjois Volume something, I forget, but it's cheap and AWESOME. Anything of theirs is cheap and awesome :p Otherwise, I go with Lancome for eye stuff and Dior for lip stuff. Just how it suits me.

P.S. I need a GOOD eye pencil. Bourjois has amazing colours, but it smudges after a while (8h, but so what, I want something more permanent!), it sort of runs and I look like I cried ;( Recommendations welcome!

Whatta rant.

Eccentric Sara
04-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Help sought!

POWDER. I've never used powder or foundation because my skin is PURRRFECT but now I'm thinking I should learn how to use some.
You have NO idea how lucky you are! I have had skin problems since I was 14! I get fewer spots now,thanks to the medication I'm on,but I still have acne scars,fine lines,blocked pores etc. I have to cake myself in makeup just to look the way ppl with good skin look without it!
If anyone has any tips on pale,natural-looking makeup that also provides good coverage,I would be very grateful!(Dunno if natural-looking makeup that covers well exists tho!) At the moment,I wear Rimmel Lasting Wear foundation (in the lightest shade) mixed with white goth foundation.I cover up any scars etc that are still visible with Boots No7 concealer stick in the lightest shade and I wear Rimmel powder in the lightest shade.

Another problem I have is that the powder makes my face look a darker colour,when I want to look pale:mad: and I am wearing the lightest shade they make!:( Does anyone know any brands that make very light-coloured powder that isnt like white goth powder! I don't want a chalky-white face,I just want to look naturally pale!I also find that powder shows the fine lines on my face more. Anyone know of anything I can wear over my foundation instead of powder to fix it and stop it coming off,but not make the lines conspicuous?
Help?!!!

Vera
04-12-2007, 10:51 AM
YAY Iza advice!

Sara - Eh again I exaggerate. :P I use liquid luminizer and concealer stick, usually have a few blemishes or spots or something but I cover them and my "panda eyes" with the luminizer/concealer. But no excessive skin care problems, no acne or anything (thank you God). Ironically the concealer I have right now is the exact same as yours, Boots No7! Since I bought it when I was in Ireland..

Do you guys remember those Maybelline sticks with foundation+powder 2-in-1? Whatever happened to those. I didn't like 'em much (didn't really need them, shiiit, I was like 13 back then) but I sort of liked the idea and the effect - though like I said, didn't really need them back then.

This eye-shadow is such a problem for me, because I wanna believe you Izie & Gulsah, oh my make up gurus, but blue eye shadow is so dead on 80's trash to me. I can never believe it'd look good on me. But I suppose I should at least try. And what kinda purples you talking? Dark purple is trupunx for sure but I'm not sure if it'd look good...

I have a shimmery white thing I've used on my nights out since, shiiiit, 2004 or something. XD *fails*

Is shimmery green a no-no? And what do you think about those mousse type eye shadows? Y/N/maybe?

Man, Sara, you should move to Scandinavia. Obviously they make make up for the lightest possible shades in here.

Nina
04-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Eye shadow!! Problem: what colours suit me? I have some brown/light brown ones for boring ordinary day stuff and some shimmery stuff for evening make up but I want cooler ordinary day eye shadow and cooler shimmery stuff. You guys know what my eyes look like, suggestions for colours please??
Coloured lipgloss because lipstick makes me look like a whore. Problem: colours? Brand? What's good, what sucks? SUGGESTIONS WELCOME.
POWDER. I've never used powder or foundation because my skin is PURRRFECT but now I'm thinking I should learn how to use some..
Something else that is awesome and makes me feel pretty. Suggestions to what this may be are more than welcome.

- for eyeshadow, I suggest maybelline or manhattan. It lasts forever, can be put on dry or wet (wet has more effect to it) and has really beautiful colors.
I'd definitely go for shimmery babyblue if I was you. You have blonde hair. It would suit you. But dont use dark blue. That has the 80s vibe to it which you mentioned earlier.
here is an example for babyblue + eyepencil (http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ninaeatspie/fashion/3_close2.jpg)
Another color that would look hot on you is light pink, like...really light pink, not hotpink or anything. It will most likely make you look feminine and all pretties.
Another color is shimmery beige. Yes, you read that right. A color that is a looot lighter than "gold". Try it out in the store, you might like it for ordinary days.

- Essentials for lipgloss are probably clear lipgloss and in the colors light pink and slightly brown-ish. Almost everyone can wear these colors I think (lipgloss tho, not lipstick!). As for the brand, I'd choose Rimmel London. I LOVE THAT BRAND. But any "cheap" brand will do too. I dont understand expensive lipgloss. I mean..it's just lipgloss dammit.

- For loose powder I suggest Perfect Teint - Powder & Make Up by Manhattan. I have the color "natural peach", it doesnt look like how it sounds, though.

- I second Tizz's suggestion for blush. You can basically use any brand. The cheap stuff stays on my skin a lot better than the expensive stuff, but maybe that's just me.

Is shimmery green a no-no? And what do you think about those mousse type eye shadows? Y/N/maybe?

I personally think it might clash with your eye color, but one can never tell in theory. Try it out in the store! The samples are there to be tested. See if you like it and feel comfortable with it. If you do, go for it!

For dramatic eye-makeup you can definitely try dark purple, I sometimes do that, but then again, I'm extremely pale and dark-haired. Why dont you try really light purple? Again, light colors will probably suit you, and dark colors are generally for the night, anyway.
here an example for hotpink and dark-purple. might make you see that it would be a little too dramatic for you (and for me too) (http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ninaeatspie/fashion/2_up.jpg)

look at this picture (http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ninaeatspie/fashion/_makeupstuff8.jpg)

colors that I think would look good on you:

- first row, all colors.
- second row, all colors.
- the light beige one in the second to last row.

And in this picture (http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ninaeatspie/fashion/_makeupstuff7.jpg) I recommend all light purple/pink colors.

And off these (http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ninaeatspie/fashion/_makeupstuff6.jpg), I think all the colors except the very dark browns would suit you a whole lot.

Sunny
04-12-2007, 11:19 AM
YAY Iza advice!

This eye-shadow is such a problem for me, because I wanna believe you Izie & Gulsah, oh my make up gurus, but blue eye shadow is so dead on 80's trash to me.

i dunno, but i'm one of the "if you have blue eyes, do NOT wear blue eye shadow" people. i just think it looks cheap. =/ i'd go with an earthy color to bring them out... maybe olivey or coppery with a bit of shimmer? that's what i use when my blue contacts are in, and it looks hawtz. ;p

Vera
04-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Yeah, Sunny, I remember reading somewhere that earthy colors would "bring out" the blue in my eyes. Beats me, really. And your blue-contacts-olivey-eye-shadow combo has looked AWESOME in pics I've seen.

Oooh, light pink's a great idea, Nina, thanks for that. I might just buy some palette like yours with different colors - I might never use of them but would be cool to try out different things.

Plus those pics just make me go, "ME WANT ALL!". :P

Nina, expensive lipgloss is a small but delicious luxury. I swear, that Dior thing has been a life saver on some of my nights out. I've been feeling meh and ugly and putting on my make-up and then that lipgloss, smelling and feeling awesome, suddenly I felt MUCH better about my overall looks and my whole mood was lifted up.

Sunny
04-12-2007, 11:31 AM
i feel the same way about sexpensive perfume and my lancome juicy tubes lipgloss. they're such an instant pick-me-up. ha.

Izie
04-12-2007, 11:31 AM
YAY Iza advice!

And then I go on :p

The thing with blues is that you can't use too much, and you have to be careful with the colour. I generally don't use dark ones (except in the outer corners maybe, above the eyeliner, all over it IS way too trashy 80s, like Nina said), but light ones are amazing and can be combined with white/gray/silver and it looks amazing! Basically blue alone is tricky (plus I really don't like the idea of one eyeshadow all over my eyelid, maybe if it's a nude beige or something :/), but combined and blended well, it's awesome. Also blue eyeliner is my fav thing, but I usually have a combination of black/darkblue or darkblue/lightblue or all three. The darkest in the outer corner, then work your way to the lighter ones in the middle/inner corner, depending on how far you use the eyeliner. But the thing is, you HAVE to try it out because you just can't know how it will look until you do. I'm lost on purple. I just think it's icky with my light skin ;/ *shrug* Plus, it depends on your skin's undertone (different types, depending on the site you pick, the standard is cold and warm). Apart from that, I'm with browns/beiges, and with Nina on the light pink.

Shimmery white thing is good! And I have old makeup too, no worries :p

Green might look good on you. Green with a blue note should be great, but as anything else, you need to try it. Never tried the mousse type eye shadows, but I love creamy ones because they don't crease. Also anything that can go wet and dry is great, it gives different effects with just one product (way to sound like a commercial)!

I also need Scandinavian shades of foundation/powder :/ And some face creme with 92374651 SPF :/

Tizzalicious
04-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Oh yeah, those pallette thingies are very useful, especially the Bourjois ones with the colours, because if you put them on in the same order as on the pallete, your blending is basically done! Easy!

Sara, try Bourjois or Gosh if you can find it, they have really light shades.

Izie
04-12-2007, 11:33 AM
i dunno, but i'm one of the "if you have blue eyes, do NOT wear blue eye shadow" people. i just think it looks cheap. =/ i'd go with an earthy color to bring them out... maybe olivey or coppery with a bit of shimmer? that's what i use when my blue contacts are in, and it looks hawtz. ;p

Boo, I think you have to try. Then again, my eyes are not blue, so I could be talking full-blown crap :p

Expensive makeup is just... Eh I don't know, it has SUCH a good vibe to it :/

Sara, try Bourjois or Gosh if you can find it, they have really light shades.

Random note, that green Gosh eyeshadow is AMAZING.

Sunny
04-12-2007, 11:35 AM
see, izas, from what i remember of sannibear, she has a warm-toned complexion (peachy-like kinda... amirite?), so i'd be careful with anything that has very cold/bluey undertones.

maybe i'm wrong. WHO KNOWS OMG.

Nina
Haha I guess I'm just a cheap-o! But I only dont get it with lipgloss/blush. Everything else, though, seems perfectly justified to me ;D

Tizzalicious
Gosh = awesome!

I'm glad we picked out good make up for you! I need to get that mascara myself now. And Gosh eyeshadow.

Edit: Per is making me tell you that HE picked out the mascara :P WHATTAHOMOS.

Sunny
Boo, I think you have to try. Then again, my eyes are not blue, so I could be talking full-blown crap :p

could be. CRAPTALKER. <3

Izie
04-12-2007, 11:42 AM
see, izas, from what i remember of sannibear, she has a warm-toned complexion (peachy-like kinda... amirite?), so i'd be careful with anything that has very cold/bluey undertones.

I remember her as cold-toned, maybe neutral. One of us is senile XD

WHATTAHOMOS.

Yeah but we knew that :p

Eccentric Sara
04-12-2007, 11:46 AM
YAY Iza advice!

Man, Sara, you should move to Scandinavia. Obviously they make make up for the lightest possible shades in here.

Are there any particular brands you could recommend? Even if they don't sell them in the U.K.,maybe I could get them online. Anyone know of any good sites where I can buy make-up? Dunno why make-up companies assume all British ppl want to look orange!I think it looks awful.:mad:

killer_queen
04-12-2007, 11:52 AM
i feel the same way about sexpensive perfume and my lancome juicy tubes lipgloss. they're such an instant pick-me-up. ha.

Juicy Tubes are awesome. I love how they smell <3

By the way, I want a new perfume. Something sexy, woody maybe. Any suggestions?

Eccentric sara, strawberrynet.com is a great site for makeup. And for powders that looks pale look for Anna Sui.

Sunny
04-12-2007, 11:57 AM
try *deep red* by hugo boss. it's a little woody/musky and sexy... definitely an evening fragrance though, as it is a bit heavy.

Eccentric Sara
04-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Thankyou! I shall definately research some different brands of makeup!:) Are most brands of make-up non-animal-tested these days? I've been buying Boots No7/17 brands for years,as they are not animal-tested and I try to avoid animal-tested products where I can.

killer_queen
04-12-2007, 12:16 PM
The only brand which is all environment friendly, non tested on animals I know is The Body Shop. It's very cheap too!

Vera
04-12-2007, 12:17 PM
I dunno what my complexion is so either of you could be right. I'm not the most pale person ever but I don't exactly tan easily -or at all - either.

Difficult. Maybe I'll just ask a make up lady at a department store.

bananaphone
04-13-2007, 06:41 AM
Are you a girl Bananaphone??

Yes, I am a girl. Quite happy to be one as well.

And I'm straight too... just for reference.

Izie
04-13-2007, 11:26 AM
I dunno what my complexion is so either of you could be right. I'm not the most pale person ever but I don't exactly tan easily -or at all - either.

Difficult. Maybe I'll just ask a make up lady at a department store.

Sunny and I were arguing over the undertone. Like you can be pale, but your skin could have a reddish undertone, or golden, or blue-ish... Asking a beautician would definitely be a good idea though!

Lodat225
04-13-2007, 10:28 PM
I want make up advice too. I don't know. Every time i put some on, it's either too much blush or too little. i hate it!

killer_queen
04-14-2007, 04:04 AM
hmm I want make-up advice too. I don't usually wear eyeshadow but I think I need to start because I hate wearing just mascara and eyeliner everyday, it's boring. what colors do you think would look best on me?

You have brown eyes, right? If you do pretty much any color would be great but try to avoid dark colors. And always get your eyeshadows in duo forms. Two colors look more natural and more pretty. I suggest you to try bright pink and/or violet.

Oh and, you are still young enough to use the ones with sparkles. And spring is the best time to use them.

Izie
04-14-2007, 08:18 AM
What she said ^

Plus, just go and experiment, seriously, brown eyes, brown hair and relatively pale as you are, I doubt there's much that won't look good.

Also, mix colours! Like blue and pink/brown or pink and green or orangish (careful with this one haha) and blue/gree/brown or anything at all that looks good! Make sure you have fun with it.

Edit: If I threw in a random insane colour combination there, it's because I'm just up :p

JoY
04-16-2007, 04:14 AM
ooh, I so suck with eyeshadow, that I've thrown all of that jazz out & don't even own eyeshadow at this point anymore. I have low eyebrows, so basically ANY colour is going to look darker than it is, because my upper eyelid is permanently in the shadow of my eyebrows. & any colour that looks remotely dark is going to make me look like I'm either superdown, or angriez. so with the colours turning out much darker, thanks to shade.. I basically can't wear anything?

also, I'm blonde. tell me what's not going to look whorish on a blonde, because I'm lost. it all fucking looks either retarded, or like I'm a transvestite, or whorish. did I forget the mention my jawbones? they're so fuckingly huge, the line between "oh nice!" & "DRAG QUEEN" = pretty damn subtle.

I just bought myself some more Diorshow. I didn't like the brush of the unlimited version. it's black, is that going to be a problem? no right? I stopped wearing brown mascara a little while ago. it looked somewhat softer & friendlier, but I'm not sure the colour looks good on me.

killer_queen
04-16-2007, 05:18 AM
Isa, I remember reading that applying some cream white eyeshadow right under your brows would make them look..uh, not low (high?). You can use liquid or stick luminizer instead.

I think blondes are the luckiest people in the world because there isn't a color that would bad on them. I know, you'll think it's kind of whorish but red lipstick is the most awesome thing in the world. I saw a picture of you with red lips once and I swear you looked fucking hawt.

Brown mascara is better than black, by the way. If you are into natural looking, of course. Black looks more intense. But if you like brown go with it, it must suit you since you are blonde.

For better results, get on a plane and come to Turkey. We'll try everything on your face and then have hot sex afterwards.

JoY
04-16-2007, 06:35 AM
especially love the last suggestion. rawr<3

Lodat225
04-16-2007, 07:31 AM
then stop wearing blush, faggot.

But i want to look pretty.

Izie
04-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Isa, I remember reading that applying some cream white eyeshadow right under your brows would make them look..uh, not low (high?). You can use liquid or stick luminizer instead.

Yup, anything light will work, pink-light, beige-light, shimmery-light, anythiiiing. Plus the red lipstick thing is so true, and when you wear it, you really shouldn't wear eyeshadow anyway, so no problem there!

Brown mascara is awesome too, but being crazy as I am, I'd try dark blue. But not ONLY dark blue, if you use one coat of one colour and another coat of another, it should end up pretty awesome-looking.

I think experimenting with light pink blush might be good, it draws attention to the cheekbones.

And on a random note, I finally found an eye pencil that does not smudge for... about 9 hours. THANK YOU PHARMAPRIX LADY! It's Lise Watier's eye pencil btw. It says it's waterproof, but it's really not a bitch to take off at all. So happy. Must replace all of my eye pencils now YAY!

Nina
04-30-2007, 07:57 AM
I just wanted to let you ladies know that I bought Studio Fix Fluid by MAC and it's absolutely amazing! If you wanna get rid of redness, have smoother looking skin or just want a good make-up in general, BUY IT.

Izie
04-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Ah I got an eyeliner, an eye shadow and an eye pencil from MAC recently. They're absolutely great and I love them.

I might try that thing you got next time I go, I'm going to need a foundation type of thing fairly soon.

Nina
04-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Oh but you have really good skin, I dont think you need it!
Can you tell me more about the eyeshadow and eyepencil? names? colors? how long it lasts? etc.

Izie
04-30-2007, 02:48 PM
I use it as correction, because the actual correction sticks are usually too much for me :/ Plus, a good foundation lasts forever and can be totally useful when something happens, like a red spot or whatever.

I got... The Liquidlast liner in Aqualine. It's waterproof and it does NOT move no matter what you do. It's not difficult to take off either (you won't peel your skin off with it), you just have to use an oil-based remover.

The eye pencil is the Powerpoint eye pencil in bordeauxline... After all the purple-talk in here, I went to the MAC store and told the girl I have a fear of purple and I need help getting over it. So she got me the liner and an eyeshadow - nocturnelle. I've had them put on at around 4:30pm and they lasted throughout the whole afternoon (a long walk) and the evening (a small party), so I'd say these are really good as well! Links:

Liner (http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY15101&PRODUCT_ID=PROD9961)
Eye pencil (http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY15101&PRODUCT_ID=PROD1628)
Eye shadow (http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY15103&PRODUCT_ID=PROD1503)

Tizzalicious
04-30-2007, 02:56 PM
I just wanted to let you ladies know that I bought Studio Fix Fluid by MAC and it's absolutely amazing! If you wanna get rid of redness, have smoother looking skin or just want a good make-up in general, BUY IT.

Nice!

I just bought new foundation (the L'Oreal one I mentioned in this thread before), but I'll think about this next time I need it.

killer_queen
06-05-2007, 09:22 AM
So, my cousin gave me a makeup primer which is also used for sun protection in the city. But the problem is I don't know how to use a makeup primer. I don't use foundation, do I have to apply foundation if I use makeup primer. I would like to use it because I have this stupid sensitive skin which hates sun and regular sun lotions are way too oily.

Sunny
06-05-2007, 09:28 AM
my understanding is that a primer makes your powder/foundation/whatever go on smoother... but alone it might give you a smoother, matte finish, so give it a shot.

what's the spf on it?

killer_queen
06-05-2007, 09:36 AM
30. I normally use 50 or something like that on vacations but I guess this is enough for short walks in the city.

By the way, I just bought Estee Lauder's lip tint and it's probably the most awesome thing I've put on my lips. It looks like there's no makeup on your face but somehow you have hot red lips.

Sunny
06-05-2007, 09:40 AM
is it totally liquid or is it thick? the only lip tint i've tried is benetint by benefit but it's too liquidy. like red water. :/ their tinted lip balm works a lot better.

i got eye cream from shiseido and i'm ecstatic. it works so well. weee!

killer_queen
06-05-2007, 09:46 AM
It's liquid but it has a good brush that makes applying easy. I like it better than the tinted ones because it dries easily and looks natural. But it's just 3 ml. I'll need to get a new one next month.:(

eye cream? For wrinkles or for puffiness?

Sunny
06-05-2007, 10:01 AM
both really... it's called eye revitalizer and it's supposed to help with fine lines and "dullness". i was really puffy and unhappy from my allergies, and it worked wonders. so yay.

i'll try the lip tint next time i'm at sephora!

calichix
06-05-2007, 11:37 AM
I hardly ever wear make up unless I'm getting dressy but then I'm lost and end up just doing some mascara and tinted lip balm to avoid looking like one of those little girls whose parents put them in beauty pagents. Is there any foundation you can just wear where you need it and not all over your face? It makes me feel like a cake. And wtfz do you do with eyeshadow? I've got really dark blue eyes and people only ever know what do with with light blue eyes. :/