PDA

View Full Version : Longest Song

Manic Subsidal Boy
11-17-2006, 04:43 AM
What is the longest song (not Orchestra, Tribal, or Opera stuff). I've heard the Decline - Nofx, pretty long but read awhile there's longer. Does anyone know what the longest song is?

Decline - 18.21min

Cejus
11-17-2006, 05:46 AM
There's a song by a spanish group, 29:26 minutes long:
Extremoduro - "Pedrá"

sKratch
11-17-2006, 06:11 AM
There's a Dream Theater song that's over 40 minutes long. It's broken up into 8 parts though.
I'm sure there's a ton of trance / house music that's well over an hour long.

Tizzalicious
11-17-2006, 06:17 AM
Ugh, songs shouldn't be that long.

Jebus
11-17-2006, 06:31 AM
There's a Dream Theater song that's over 40 minutes long. It's broken up into 8 parts though.
They could call it one song all they want, but it's still just eight songs that blend into each other to me! Darn them and their need to be proggy.

Green Carnation has a song that's over 60 minutes long but it sucks major balls.

78 Water
11-17-2006, 08:29 AM
I was going to say what Jebus said, and that song is called Light of Day, Day of Darkness, and it is about an hour long.

I can't believe anybody can really sit through that. I don't think I'd have the paetience to get through the first 20.

Songs that are really long should have multiple parts. That's why songs like Jesus of Suburbia and Homecoming by Green Day (both about 9 minutes) don;t seem that long, because they have 5 parts.

Other song, like Transaatlantasism (wrong spelling I know) a song that is about 9 minutes also, is extremely boring. The song does the same thing the whole time, and the singer chats the same lyrics throught the entire song, Boring as hell.

SaiKYoU
11-17-2006, 10:14 AM
There's a song by a spanish group, 29:26 minutes long:
Extremoduro - "Pedrá"

And it's their worst song :(

mrconeman
11-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Pink Floyd have Shine on You Crazy Diamond, but thats broken up into parts too.
They also have a 20 some minute song song called Echoes.

JohnnyNemesis
11-17-2006, 10:46 AM
The longest song I've ever heard is called "Wrong Forum" by "The Offspring BBS General Guidelines". It's a few years long and never ends.

Jebus
11-17-2006, 10:54 AM
I can't believe anybody can really sit through that. I don't think I'd have the paetience to get through the first 20.
I gave that song three chances but I feel asleep 10-25 minutes into it all three times. I think I am the type of person who has the patience to listen to long ass songs, but this one was particularly boring.

Marco
11-17-2006, 10:57 AM
The longest song I've ever heard is called "Wrong Forum" by "The Offspring BBS General Guidelines". It's a few years long and never ends.
How can I put this on my signature?:D

FrancoDaHui
11-17-2006, 02:08 PM

that's pure gold

Llamas
11-17-2006, 02:58 PM
This thread is kinda boring if people can only post songs that are longer than the nofx song... I don't think a song can likely go over 12 minutes and still be really really good. The Decline is pretty much the same thing for 18 minutes. so here are some songs that are over 12 minutes that are still really damn good. Also, why rule out orchestral and operatic songs?

Shellac's "Didn't we deserve a look at you the way you really are" is 13 minutes

Tool's "Third Eye" is like 14 minutes

Their hidden song on "undertow" is almost 16 minutes

Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros's "Minstrel Boy" is like 18 minutes

Jimmy Eat World's "Goodbye Sky Harbor is over 16 minutes

Dream Theatre has several songs that are around 14 minutes

coke_a_holic
11-17-2006, 03:10 PM
I KNEW I wasn't the only person who likes Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros on the BBS; Streetcore is one of my favorite cds. <3

Also, Led Zeppelin's Moby Dick is longer than my attention span, somewhere around 20 minutes... like 10 of those minutes are drum solo.
The Mars Volta - Tetragammatron (16:42)
John Coltrane - Chasin' the Trane (16:10
Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade - Thela Hun Ginjeet (14:25)
Pink Floyd - Dogs (17:08)

Funderful Callan
11-17-2006, 03:15 PM

haha yeh true but its a bit reppetative after a while.

sKratch
11-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Basically any progressive metal band has songs that are well over the 10 minute mark on a fairly consistent basis.

Kristi920
11-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Umm, on The Song Remains the Same the live version of Dazed and Confused is like 34 minutes. That's the longest I've heard, but I'm sure some crazy metal band from Norway has a longer one...

I'm such a sucker for sweaty long haired rockstars thwacking their guitar with violin bows :p

Llamas
11-17-2006, 03:39 PM
I KNEW I wasn't the only person who likes Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros on the BBS; Streetcore is one of my favorite cds.
How can you NOT like them? :)

mrconeman
11-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Pink Floyd - Dogs (17:08)
I love that song, alot.
..I'm also just remembering part of it is in my signature.

offspring dude
11-17-2006, 03:53 PM
how can people listen to a song over 20 minutes!?

the longest i can stand is 12. anymore than that just gets so boring and tiring.

Llamas
11-17-2006, 03:58 PM
Over 20 minutes is very, very hard to pull off. I've very rarely heard a song more than 14 that I thought was genuinely great. I wish NOFX hadn't attempted, because the decline is very boring and gets old after like 2 minutes.

mrconeman
11-17-2006, 04:01 PM
how can people listen to a song over 20 minutes!?

the longest i can stand is 12. anymore than that just gets so boring and tiring.

I hate that people are this completely ignorant. By your logic if you listen to a 13 minute song you're not allowed to like it no matter how good it is, please don't close yourself off like that.
Some long songs do drag on, and to be frank suck. But when done right songs of any length can work pretty fucking well.

opivy21
11-17-2006, 04:03 PM
I generally don't like songs that are 5 or more minutes. There are a few exceptions, such as jazz music, but my attention span isn't that big.

Llamas
11-17-2006, 04:06 PM
I generally don't like songs that are 5 or more minutes. There are a few exceptions, such as jazz music, but my attention span isn't that big.

If a long song is done well, it doesn't drag because it CHANGES throughout. The structure is done in complex manners and it doesn't feel like you're still listening to the same song.

offspring dude
11-17-2006, 04:17 PM
I hate that people are this completely ignorant. By your logic if you listen to a 13 minute song you're not allowed to like it no matter how good it is, please don't close yourself off like that.
Some long songs do drag on, and to be frank suck. But when done right songs of any length can work pretty fucking well.

Ofcourse i know there can be great somgs longer than 12 minutes, but i would call them exeptions, one of my favourite songs is 14.03 and it is truly awesome but since there isnt many songs that are that long and that good ( that i know of), i just generalize and say most songs over 12 minutes are usually not that good.

el_monkey
11-17-2006, 05:11 PM
watch out for live versions of deep purple songs (especially on "made in japan")
I think the longest music video is by the streets(about 21 minutes), don't remember the name though

78 Water
11-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Also, "Pay the Man" is about thirteen minutes long. The first part, I must admit, is pretty hard to get into (it still rocks), but the second part is well worth the wait.

WELL worth the wait.

Jebus
11-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Over 20 minutes is very, very hard to pull off. I've very rarely heard a song more than 14 that I thought was genuinely great.
You should listen to Dream Theater - Octavarium

Llamas
11-17-2006, 05:17 PM

Have it. Love it. I have a great deal of DT music. I said it's very very hard to pull off... not impossible.

All About Eve
11-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Honestly, one of the best written songs ever.

Some grindcore or blackmetal or something stupid like that type band made a 100 minute song, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the band or song.

Lars
11-17-2006, 05:21 PM
New Porcupine Tree song is supposed to be around 20mins long, it was only around 17 when they played it live though.

I wish 65daysofstatic would write some longer songs, I think they'd still sound good, they don't really go over 6 mins.

Jebus
11-17-2006, 05:37 PM
All About Eve, you never uploaded those porcupine tree songs for me. Fuck you.

but I think I just finally found them right now so all is forgiven.

I wish 65daysofstatic would write some longer songs, I think they'd still sound good, they don't really go over 6 mins.
I don't know. I like them and stuff, but they don't seem like the type of band that could pull off 20 minute songs. Seems kind of hard since they don't have vocals to add enough variation. Purely instrumental jazz bands could it pull it off since they do a lot of soloing, but from what I heard from 65daysofsatic, they don't solo much.

ninthlayer
11-17-2006, 05:50 PM
Konstantine is 9 minutes and 35 seconds long.

Yeah, I like Konstantine.

All About Eve
11-17-2006, 05:53 PM
I don't know. I like them and stuff, but they don't seem like the type of band that could pull off 20 minute songs. Seems kind of hard since they don't have vocals to add enough variation. Purely instrumental jazz bands could it pull it off since they do a lot of soloing, but from what I heard from 65daysofsatic, they don't solo much.
I agree, plus most of their songs are based off of repeating themes done in different ways, pitches, etc. You can only do that for so long.

Llamas
11-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Konstantine is 9 minutes and 35 seconds long.

Yeah, I like Konstantine.

I thought about mentioning that song, but it wasn't long enough. That song has such a strange effect during their shows.

Lizardus
11-17-2006, 06:28 PM
The Odyssey by Symphony X is 24:13 minutes and it's not the same thing played over and over.
Divine wings of tragedy by the same band is 20:42 minutes long.

The Seven Angels by Avantasia is 14:15 minutes long and it's awesome.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Opeth rarely have songs under 7 mins long.. I think their longest is about 19.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Iron Maiden is 19 mins long.. I can't believe no one mentioned that.

And I think there's a Therion song somewhere about 15 mins.

Llamas
11-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Iron Maiden is 19 mins long.. I can't believe no one mentioned that.

I don't think I have that Maiden song... is it a good 19 minutes? I can't imagine them pulling off more than 10 minutes without getting old...

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Like most, it's 3 songs put together. Yeah, it's around 19, and it's on the Powerslave album.

Llamas
11-17-2006, 08:06 PM
you missed my "is it good?" question... is it worth the download? I have rock in rio, number of the beast, a matter of life and death, dance of death, and death on the road. anything as good as those?

Thomas
11-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Rush's 2112 Overture is an amazing song and it's over 20 minutes long. I'm pretty surprised no one's mentioned that one.

Llamas
11-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Rush = crap. that's why nobody mentioned it. ;)

Jakebert
11-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Most of Godspeed You! Black Emporer's songs are over 10 minutes.

Little_Miss_1565
11-17-2006, 09:35 PM

Massive, massive giggles.

On topic, though, Fantomas released an album that's just one album-length song. Like an hour long. One track.

0r4ng3
11-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Also, "Pay the Man" is about thirteen minutes long. The first part, I must admit, is pretty hard to get into (it still rocks), but the second part is well worth the wait.

WELL worth the wait.
Without the mariachi reprise at the end, it's only about 8 minutes long.

coke_a_holic
11-17-2006, 10:15 PM
On topic, though, Fantomas released an album that's just one album-length song. Like an hour long. One track.

Is it any good? I really like Mr. Bungle and FNM, and there were a few Suspended Animation tracks that I... tolerated; Mike Patton is so inconsistent with his consistent oddness. It's pretty funny how they had one album of 30 short songs and then went to a one track album, though.

Little_Miss_1565
11-17-2006, 10:19 PM
I love Fantomas. I really like scary stuff like that though. So uh...yeah.

T-6005
11-17-2006, 10:37 PM
My god, what a name for a band.

http://imagesource.art.com/images/-/Unknown/Fantomas-Pre-made-Frame-C11682438.jpeg

Original prankstA
11-17-2006, 11:09 PM
not as long a most already mentioned but "Albuquerque" by Wierd Al Yankovic is about 14 minutes if my memory serves me correctly. It's also by far the stupidest song ever written, funny though.

H1T_That
11-18-2006, 04:51 AM
Most songs by Tool are 10mins +.

Anything more than 15 minutes i usually get bored.

Llamas
11-18-2006, 05:06 AM
Most? I count having around 60 songs by Tool (albums being 10,000 Days, Opiate, Salival, Undertow, Lateralus, Aenima), and 7 songs are over 10 minutes:
Third Eye 13:47
Reflection 11:07
Track 69 (from Undertow) 15:47
No Quarter 11:12
LAMC 10:53
10,000 Days (Wings pt. 2) 11:13
Rosetta Stoned 11:11

I also wouldn't consider Track 69 or LAMC to be songs all the way through. Oh, and Pushit is over 10 minutes if you're talking about the live version on Salival, and not the studio version. And if you wanna say close to 10 minutes, there are only 4 more songs that are over 9 minutes...

So, most? I'd say some... less than a sixth.

Tigger Army
11-18-2006, 05:28 AM
They could call it one song all they want, but it's still just eight songs that blend into each other to me! Darn them and their need to be proggy.

Green Carnation has a song that's over 60 minutes long but it sucks major balls.

actually light of day, day of darkness is a great song. but it's not over 60 minutes but just slightly less.

Manic Subsidal Boy
11-18-2006, 05:29 AM
Over 20 minutes is very, very hard to pull off. I've very rarely heard a song more than 14 that I thought was genuinely great. I wish NOFX hadn't attempted, because the decline is very boring and gets old after like 2 minutes.

OMG HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT; The Decline is by far NOFX's Best Work, it varies thoughout the whole song so it doesn't get boring

Manic Subsidal Boy
11-18-2006, 05:35 AM
Opeth rarely have songs under 7 mins long.. I think their longest is about 19.

And I think there's a Therion song somewhere about 15 mins.

Isn't Rime of The Anchient Marriner 13 minutes. A Matter of life and Death is the longest metal album (unrelated). As been commented. No it doesn't get boring, it is a great song. One of their best.

Manic Subsidal Boy
11-18-2006, 05:38 AM
not as long a most already mentioned but "Albuquerque" by Wierd Al Yankovic is about 14 minutes if my memory serves me correctly. It's also by far the stupidest song ever written, funny though.

Alburquerque is good but I rarely listen to it, makes no sence but yeah.

Lars
11-18-2006, 05:38 AM
All About Eve, you never uploaded those porcupine tree songs for me. Fuck you.

but I think I just finally found them right now so all is forgiven.

I agree, plus most of their songs are based off of repeating themes done in different ways, pitches, etc. You can only do that for so long. OK, fine I really just want them to make Radio Protector that bit longer, it always seems to end too early for me.

I was looking at the Opeth mp3's I've got on my computer (I think there's an album missing) and there are about 20 tracks over 10 mins long.

There's supposed to be the X Japan song Art of Life which is supposed to be around 29 mins, problem is the 2 mp3's of it I've downloaded cut out about halfway through for some reason.

Sunn O))) do some pretty long tracks, but I wouldn't really expect most people to be into that sort of thing.

There's the Text track "1ére tableau: Du sable" which is 20 mins long, change quite a bit as well. I wouldn't be so surprised if people didn't like that though.

Llamas
11-18-2006, 05:48 AM
OMG HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT; The Decline is by far NOFX's Best Work, it varies thoughout the whole song so it doesn't get boring

His voice sounds the same throughout. There are only two tempos, and the slow tempo is dragging and kind of boring. The drumming never changes besides during the slower tempo, and the rest of it is just too messy. It honestly feels like they tried way too hard to vary it up. It feels like they said, "hey! let's make a really long song!" instead of writing a song that ended up being really long. Also, retarded that they sold one song as a cd.

Manic Subsidal Boy
11-18-2006, 06:02 AM
His voice sounds the same throughout. There are only two tempos, and the slow tempo is dragging and kind of boring. The drumming never changes besides during the slower tempo, and the rest of it is just too messy. It honestly feels like they tried way too hard to vary it up. It feels like they said, "hey! let's make a really long song!" instead of writing a song that ended up being really long. Also, retarded that they sold one song as a cd.

You gotta point about the drumming (but still not bad) and in an interview with a magazine he said it was hard as shit to do. + It's a single/ep and does a b-side. Pretty much what they did "hey! let's make a really long song!" I fail to see why it's so bad

Llamas
11-18-2006, 06:07 AM
the song sounds very forced. It doesn't flow... it sounds like "alright, we played this section for a couple minutes... so now we gotta change it up... how can we do that?" It's just really awkward.

And if that drumming was extremely hard, that proves that their drummer is not a very good drummer.

Manic Subsidal Boy
11-18-2006, 06:10 AM
Personally I don't really care about the drumming on one song. And listening to it, the drummng does vary alot.

coke_a_holic
11-18-2006, 09:45 AM
The fact remains that NoFX is pretty awful and their best stuff is still mediocre when compared to other music.

Thomas
11-18-2006, 10:33 AM
Rush = crap. that's why nobody mentioned it. ;)

BLASPHEMY!!!

JohnnyNemesis
11-18-2006, 10:42 AM
You should have just reminded her that she listens to Everqueer, megalawlz!

Thomas
11-18-2006, 10:45 AM
lawlz(?)

o_O;;

sKratch
11-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Umm, on The Song Remains the Same the live version of Dazed and Confused is like 34 minutes. That's the longest I've heard, but I'm sure some crazy metal band from Norway has a longer one...

I'm such a sucker for sweaty long haired rockstars thwacking their guitar with violin bows :p
Check out Apocalyptica. (apocalyptica) The actually play cellos.

wtf you guys are gay, that song is not that good. They have so many better songs than that.

The Odyssey by Symphony X is 24:13 minutes and it's not the same thing played over and over.
Divine wings of tragedy by the same band is 20:42 minutes long.

The Seven Angels by Avantasia is 14:15 minutes long and it's awesome.
I was gonna mention The Odyssey in my last post ;o Also, Rhapsody has a song Gargoyles, Angels of Darkness but I don't know if it's good. I don't remember how it goes.

Jebus
11-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Fuck you skratch. Octavarium is brilliant. I know there are better songs, but I only mentioned it because we're talking about really long songs. I still prefer Change of Seasons though.

sKratch
11-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Thank you. We can still do the manlove dance.

I saw A Change of Seasons live and I have the bootleg luzlez

Jebus
11-18-2006, 11:36 AM
I never seem them live. =[ I do have a video of Change of Seasons from the Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York dvd in my computer. Extended solos are win win win.

wheelchairman
11-18-2006, 11:43 AM
I think a better question is which albums generally have a longer average song length.

It's still probably a metal band, but it cuts out that gimmicky one song band shit (well not really, but I only ever took the lowest level of math possible.)

Metal would probably still win. Or the smashing pumpkins.

Jakebert
11-18-2006, 04:29 PM

No, the song sucks for lots of reasons.

1.) NOFX's whole charm is in their songs being short. Their longer songs almost always suck because they get old after about 2 minutes. Now, extend a NOFX song to 18 minutes and you get the same thing over and over again. Dull.

2.) Long songs cannot work if there's no variation or crescendo/decrescendos/actual movements/climaxes, ect. The Decline is essentially monotone, and has the same overall mood/feeling/sound throughout. The whole thing is a straight-forward punk song. There's no reason to keep listening because once you hear the first 2 minutes, you've heard the whole thing. There's nothing exciting about it.

3.) It's not even a long song, it just sounds like a bunch of songs the band had laying around that they decided to throw together for the hell of it. The only reason it works at all (which it barely does) is because almost all of NOFX's songs sound the same anyway.

Oh, add to the list Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd. Best 20 minute rock instrumental ever.

momo1tx
11-18-2006, 07:12 PM
I personally like Echoes by Pink Floyd a lot, and that's 21 minutes long. You can say how it's "boring" and stuff like that, but I can still listen through the whole thing and enjoy it.

Jakebert
11-18-2006, 07:30 PM
No, you're right in liking Echoes. Hands down one of the best songs Pink Floyd ever did.

Jebus
11-18-2006, 07:35 PM
someone upload this NOFX songs you guys are all on about.

mrconeman
11-18-2006, 08:33 PM
As I mentioned Echoes already, I might as well add that it's fucking phenomenal.
Atom Heart Mother is great too.

Venom Symbiote
11-18-2006, 09:39 PM
Iced Earth have "Gettysburg", which is like...30 or 31 minutes over three separate movements. Doubt it's the longest "ever" though. Still pretty damn long.

But then again, they have lots of those types of songs. "Dante's Inferno" is 16 or something, "The Suffering" is shorter, 11-ish.

T-6005
11-18-2006, 09:49 PM
I don't like NOFX, and don't mind about the first 10 minutes of The Decline. I suppose someone who's into overly long songs in rock would like it. I personally always thought that rock songs should be short and sweet rather than long and ornery or wanky.

But seriously, songs that last 20 minutes with 3 guitar solos every 5 minutes can't be called anything else.

Llamas
11-19-2006, 12:32 AM
Songs that are 10 min or more are only good when they just happen to be that long. They always suck if the band was out to make a long song (like the decline).

Manic Subsidal Boy
11-19-2006, 12:55 AM
Not bothered uploading it

Try this

Decline Pt.1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b429zk6aTfs)

Decline Pt.2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd3zX_wBeBY&mode=related&search=)

Decline Pt.3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRxRl9FM1dw&mode=related&search=)

They're on Youtube with video footage

sKratch
11-19-2006, 01:27 AM
I don't like NOFX, and don't mind about the first 10 minutes of The Decline. I suppose someone who's into overly long songs in rock would like it. I personally always thought that rock songs should be short and sweet rather than long and ornery or wanky.

But seriously, songs that last 20 minutes with 3 guitar solos every 5 minutes can't be called anything else.

You could say similarly bad things about a song that's 3 minutes long with the same chords being played for 4/5 of it.

Camel Filters
11-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Trapped in the closet - R. kelly

the first 12 chapters alone is 40 minutes. I think there is 36 chapters.

Llamas
11-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Trapped in the closet isn't a song. Each chapter is a song. And the same song over and over. Learn what a song is, please.

Camel Filters
11-21-2006, 11:17 PM
I consider it a song because it tells a story. If you consiser chapter 1 just a song then the song doesn't even make sense. and so on and so forth.

Llamas
11-21-2006, 11:29 PM
So the entire green day cd, "american idiot" is a song? And the entire soundtrack for "Phantom of the Opera" is one song, too? Opera is music that tells a story. R kelly attempted to make what he calls an "urban opera" by making trapped in the closet. Just because the lyrics go on doesn't make the whole thing a song. Again, learn what a song is, please.

Grabbal
11-22-2006, 11:37 AM
there is a Mars volta song about 31 minuts long, but I dont remember the name.. :(

mrconeman
11-22-2006, 01:14 PM
I consider it a song because it tells a story. If you consiser chapter 1 just a song then the song doesn't even make sense. and so on and so forth.

Regardless, you're wrong.
Thats saying any concept album ever is all one song, which is obviously false, proof of which is right there on the album cover, the separate songs have separate names and numbers. Not to mention singles, or bands play some of the album live not all of it.
etc etc.