PDA

View Full Version : Atom?

Ryder1234
11-19-2006, 05:33 PM
the offspring are now recording, but isnt atom still on tour with AVA? or am i just stupid

Venom Symbiote
11-19-2006, 05:46 PM
A little from Column A, a lot from Column B...

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
11-19-2006, 07:55 PM
the offspring are now recording, but isnt atom still on tour with AVA? or am i just stupid

Well, they can just record the Guitar & Bass parts for now, and include the drums later i assume, though i thought AvA would have stopped touring by now...

Tom DeLonge is a sausage lover.

Apathy
11-19-2006, 08:37 PM
They use a drum machine If I remember correctly.

So yeah.

Hyper nova
11-19-2006, 09:00 PM
They use a drum machine If I remember correctly.

So yeah.

It's Called Josh Freese :D

Seriously tho AVA Should have Stopped Touring by now, even if they haven't they record each part separately i.e. the Guitar Bass Drums and Vocals are all separate elements and they are mixed together in editing so the drums can be recorded later or by someone else.

wazzup22
11-20-2006, 12:19 AM
I don't want the drums to be recorded by someone else, don't get me wrong josh freese is awsome but it just doesnt feel like Atom is completely part of The Offspring untill we hear his own drumming in an album. Maybe he just isn't going to record in the demos, only in the final lot?

Jojan
11-20-2006, 02:16 AM

I saw a movie on the Internet the other day where a dude made love to a sausage. Do you think it was him?

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
11-20-2006, 04:02 AM
I saw a movie on the Internet the other day where a dude made love to a sausage. Do you think it was him?

LOL!! That is truely the highlight of my night after losing indoor soccer :D

And yes, i do believe it would have been him ;)

bouncingcoles
11-20-2006, 08:04 AM
Well, they can just record the Guitar & Bass parts for now, and include the drums later i assume, though i thought AvA would have stopped touring by now...

when recording drums always come first. chances are someone else is playing drums for the album. not atom. prehaps josh freese again

HeadAroundU
11-20-2006, 12:44 PM
I doubt that Josh has anything to do with the new record. Stop dreaming guys.

Emily_offspring_fan
11-20-2006, 12:53 PM
it just doesnt feel like Atom is completely part of The Offspring untill we hear his own drumming in an album.
I agree with you. And the tour finishes on December 18.

HeadAroundU
11-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Atom will make drums.

nameless
11-20-2006, 04:26 PM
i think atom will record the drums on the album! i cant really see the style changing though!

Ninty Man
11-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Atom will make drums.

Yep :p

Apathy
11-20-2006, 06:26 PM
I can't find it right now, but there was a video of higgins showing people around the studio and he explained that instead of using actual drums they had a drum machine that they used for recording.

tkum
11-20-2006, 06:35 PM
I can't find it right now, but there was a video of higgins showing people around the studio and he explained that instead of using actual drums they had a drum machine that they used for recording.

This would of been (educated assumption) the drums they use for, the recording of the bass or somthing, i know for a fact they dont use a drum machene for recording. innitial drums/ beats maybee, but nothing is left on drum machene

Apathy
11-20-2006, 06:45 PM
That's not what higgins said. Just find the video, you'll see what I mean.

Either way, is English your first language? If so, that's sad.

Nothing From Something
11-20-2006, 06:56 PM
That's not what higgins said. Just find the video, you'll see what I mean.

Either way, is English your first language? If so, that's sad.

The video is in the CD-ROM extra of Splinter. Drum machines are used to work out drum parts. Recording is done by a drummer with accoustic drums.

Floyd the Barber
11-20-2006, 07:20 PM
I agree with you. And the tour finishes on December 18.

Damn, a couple weeks ago it was November 29th. They better not extend it again.

By the way, someone help me with this...why is Angels and Airwaves abbreviated "AVA"?

Jakebert
11-21-2006, 04:43 AM
i think atom will record the drums on the album! i cant really see the style changing though!

Wow!!! Great observation!!

Llamas
11-21-2006, 04:45 AM
You have to love the deep contributions from 90% of the on topic posters...

Jakebert
11-21-2006, 04:57 AM
The thing that cracks me up is that you can just tell that they're so proud of their little "insights" and think that they're saying something new.

bouncingcoles
11-21-2006, 10:12 AM

well its pretty likely since he recorded drums for splinter and cant repeat

randman21
11-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Not "Can't Repeat". If I'm not mistaken, that particular one was done by some kind of drum machine.

HeadAroundU
11-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Jesus christ. NO.

No because Josh Freese is not a part of The offspring. He helped them once. They have a permanent drummer now and they had sessions with him already.

Not "Can't Repeat". If I'm not mistaken, that particular one was done by some kind of drum machine.
yeah, by a drum machine called Josh Freese.

Venom Symbiote
11-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I never really understood why "Can't Repeat" seemingly had its drumtracks layed down by Josh.

...Was Atom recording with Angels and Emos at the time or whatever? :confused:

Just seems very weird, since, you know...Adam is the band's drummer and Josh is not. :rolleyes:

nameless
11-21-2006, 04:30 PM
The thing that cracks me up is that you can just tell that they're so proud of their little "insights" and think that they're saying something new.

ok then, i keep reading posts suggesting that atom is gonna bring this great diversity to the offspring with his drumming, trying something new and completely different and they cant wait to hear it.

we all know the drums are gonna sound pretty much the same, even atom himself has said dexter is very particular about how things sound, he also admitted he nearly mucked up the audition!

everyone slags off ron welty for being uncreative but his parts fit and the band and producer were happy enough with them at the time they were recorded. there were a couple of kinda josh freese moments on splinter but the drums in general sounded the same as on previous albums.

dexter writes the songs and its him and the producer who will have the final say on how the drums sound, nothing is gonna change just because atom willard is recording the drums on the new album.

the only reason i can see the drums changing from the typical "double time feel" is if the band really decide to change their sound but this wont be done just because they have someone new in the band seeing as the songs come from the same source.

i could have gone into more detail in the post but most of this has all been said in previous discussions before but no one takes any notice!

Mucho Macho
11-23-2006, 12:15 PM
I agree with you, I only find it a bit strange that they hit the studio at a moment Atom is playing live with AVA for what is it? About a month?... I mean, couldn't they wait a bit longer and then hit the studio as a team? I mean, now it's a bit like ok, we already lay down the guitar and vocal and bassparts, and when you're ready with AVA you can lay down the drumparts that are already written (a bit the same as Josh did on Splinter)... And I was hoping for a bit more variety on the next album. Will be difficult when he won't be even there, will it? :( Or maybe everything's already been written the last couple a months (they have some demos) and do they only have to play it all over in the studio...?

Venom Symbiote
11-23-2006, 04:12 PM
*le sigh*

Atom is recording the drum tracks for this album

They're probably fucking around with a drum machine for some rough beats until he can come in to lay down the tracks.

DeAtHsTaR
11-23-2006, 04:16 PM

Nope, it was Atom, they just had the book misprinted.

DeAtHsTaR
11-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I never really understood why "Can't Repeat" seemingly had its drumtracks layed down by Josh.

...Was Atom recording with Angels and Emos at the time or whatever? :confused:

Just seems very weird, since, you know...Adam is the band's drummer and Josh is not. :rolleyes:

No, Angels and Airwaves didn't even exist when Can't Repeat was recorded. I think Blink hadn't even broken up yet.

Ninty Man
11-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Nope, it was Atom, they just had the book misprinted.

I need proofs of what are you saying dude... but you have a point... I mean, the Intro of the hi hat's with Atom... it's pretty much his style

Llamas
11-24-2006, 01:38 AM
I honestly thought that can't repeat was recorded while josh was still around. like either during or right after the splinter session, before atom showed up.

Venom Symbiote
11-24-2006, 05:02 AM
It can't have been. Dexter wrote it while flying amongst the Ruskies and Egyptites.

It's listed as Josh Freese, but Atom had long been around at that point in time. It's weird.

We shall know, we shall know. Delve into the scholarly realm of...informative stuff, we shall unravel this mystical mystery. *nods*

I still say it was Atom. It wouldn't make sense for it to be Josh, even though he's listed.

Although...since when has an Offspring booklet ever been misprinted? Doesn't seem likely.

Fuck. Now I'm divided. Atom's still the one I'm leaning towards on this though.

Dexter_H
11-24-2006, 07:30 AM
I think it was Atom.

http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/news?year=2005&newsID=418196

Can't Repeat was produced by Jerry Finn, so it was most likely from that session, not the splinter sessions. Atom had been in the band quite a while at that point, so I don't see why they'd get Freese in.

nameless
11-24-2006, 04:14 PM
it says they reworked older songs as well as working on new ones and its listed as josh freese in the booklet. it was probably recorded with josh and it just didnt make it onto splinter!

the only reason not to believe the booklet is that atom was already playing with the offspring when the greatest hits came out.

this debate keeps coming up, but its not the sort of thing that would be misstaken in the booklet!

HeadAroundU
11-24-2006, 04:30 PM
I'm with nameless.

ZagmenO
11-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Damn, a couple weeks ago it was November 29th. They better not extend it again.

By the way, someone help me with this...why is Angels and Airwaves abbreviated "AVA"?

I think the "V" stands for versus.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
11-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Maybe Atom was writting songs with AvA at that point in time and left Josh to drum on Can't Repeat? (It's a little dodgy and unlikely, but i thought i'd throw it in as a possible answer)

ZagmenO
11-24-2006, 04:37 PM

No, I'm pretty sure Atom did Can't Repeat. Plus, I know for sure Can't Repeat was done purely for the Greatest Hits album.

Dexter_H
11-24-2006, 05:11 PM
If the song was recorded in the splinter sessions, the producer wouldn't have been Finn, it would have been O'Brien.

Venom Symbiote
11-24-2006, 09:24 PM
it was probably recorded with josh and it just didnt make it onto splinter!

No, you pig-fucker. I already explained this: Dexter wrote "Can't Repeat" like over a year after Splinter was released. He wrote the entire thing while flying around in his magic anarchy-mobile with wings.

So no, it wasn't a Splinter B-Side. I'm not saying it's not a possibility Freese recorded it, but if he did, it was a long time later, after Atom had already been in the band and touring with them.

As for the other guy with the Angels and Airwaves abbreviation thing, apparently the "V" is there instead of the "&" just because his daughter's name is "Ava" or something. Proving once again Tom DeLonge makes no sense and is a whiney ball-licker.

Ninty Man
11-24-2006, 09:31 PM
No, you pig-fucker. I already explained this: Dexter wrote "Can't Repeat" like over a year after Splinter was released. He wrote the entire thing while flying around in his magic anarchy-mobile with wings.

So no, it wasn't a Splinter B-Side. I'm not saying it's not a possibility Freese recorded it, but if he did, it was a long time later, after Atom had already been in the band and touring with them.

As for the other guy with the Angels and Airwaves abbreviation thing, apparently the "V" is there instead of the "&" just because his daughter's name is "Ava" or something. Proving once again Tom DeLonge makes no sense and is a whiney ball-licker.

He have a point...

Venom Symbiote
11-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Of course I do. Shut up, Rodriguez. :)

jacknife737
11-25-2006, 02:14 AM
It can't have been. Dexter wrote it while flying amongst the Ruskies and Egyptites.

I was always under the impression that Dexter only wrote the lyrics on his world wide trip, and that the music was recorded during the splinter sessions.

Venom Symbiote
11-25-2006, 04:08 AM
And where the hell did you get that "impression"?

Dexter said he wrote it in the air. "It" implying the entire thing and not just the words.

HeadAroundU
11-25-2006, 11:07 AM
I was always under the impression that Dexter only wrote the lyrics on his world wide trip, and that the music was recorded during the splinter sessions.
yeah, that's possible.

German Andres
11-25-2006, 05:28 PM

Yeah, that`s true. But he is an awesome drummer...

Venom Symbiote
11-25-2006, 05:42 PM
What the eskimo does that have to do with anything?

nameless
11-25-2006, 05:58 PM

it might well have been an error but its not exactly an easy misstake to make - listing the wrong musician on the album credits - it would have been the only song atom had recorded with them so you think they would have got it right or at least someone would have noticed it before it was released.

everyone seems to be basing this on the fact that atom had been touring the band when it was written (im not sure when it was so i will take peoples word on it). perhaps having worked with josh before they felt it would be easier to use him again.

is it really so hard to believe josh freese played on that track?!

Venom Symbiote
11-25-2006, 06:24 PM
No, it's not hard to believe.

What is is hard to believe, however, is that people are stupid enough to actually think "Can't Repeat" was an outtake B-side from Splinter.

Because it fucking wasn't.

Little_Miss_1565
11-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Here's an idea---who's got the liner notes to Greatest Hits handy? They'll bloody well say who drummed on it if it's not Atom, because Josh Freese was brought in as a session drummer and not as a new member of the band. Studio musicians just about always get a separate credit.

Venom Symbiote
11-25-2006, 08:50 PM
So what, you're saying the booklet isn't a misprint, and it was Josh?

I'm not arguing that it wasn't, all I'm saying is that it doesn't make any fucking sense because Atom was available at the time.

Kitten
11-25-2006, 09:05 PM
So what, you're saying the booklet isn't a misprint, and it was Josh?

I'm not arguing that it wasn't, all I'm saying is that it doesn't make any fucking sense because Atom was available at the time.

If it were a misprint, don't you think someone would have noticed it before it was printed??

Venom Symbiote
11-25-2006, 10:00 PM
Exactly what we're trying to work out.

Misprints in official things like these are extremely rare. They do happen, but definitely not often.

But do you have an explanation for why Freese is listed there?

On the off-chance that it was a misprint, fine, problem solved. But if it's correct, then that's just fucking weird. Why would Freese lay down drum tracks a year after Atom had been hired and was freely available (not on tour or anything with other groups at the time)?

Kitten
11-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Then maybe it was a misprint.

Venom Symbiote
11-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Exactly what we've been saying, thanks for the comments wise-ass.

Kitten
11-25-2006, 10:11 PM
Maybe Atom was auditioning for AVA that day....

Venom Symbiote
11-25-2006, 10:14 PM
Mega-doubtful. What are the chances?

This thing was recorded like 18 months ago anyway, right? Maybe a little less.

Little_Miss_1565
11-25-2006, 11:52 PM
WHo knows what the circumstances were. Maybe it was the lyrics that were written in the air and the rest of the tracking had been done. But it's my experience that when a manager sits down to finalize the credits on a track, they have to be damn sure they're correct before submitting them. If it says it was Freese, it was 99.9% positively Freese. Could be an interesting interview question why it wasn't Atom.

Llamas
11-26-2006, 12:32 AM
*Usually* when an artist says they wrote a song alone, they mean the lyrics. If you've ever written a song for a full band, it's very very hard to write instrument parts without the band there. More likely would be that he wrote the lyrics in the air, but most of the music itself would be written with the band. Unless Dexter actually whips out a book of staff paper and actually writes sheet music for the band, which I doubt.

If it was a misprint, someone would have noticed it after release and brought it to the band's attention and something would've been posted on the main site apologizing for the misprint. Since Atom's new, Dex would take the opportunity to really make Atom feel more welcome and comfortable and not ignore that he wasn't listed for the only song he's recorded.

Little_Miss_1565
11-26-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm really willing to bet that it wasn't a misprint. Josh Freese's got to have a damn good manager, what with all the studio session drumwork he does, and there's no effing way a good manager would let a misprint like that happen. So the question remains why it wasn't Atom if the liner notes credit says it was Josh. Which is something probably best put to the band rather than endlessly debated here. So uh, Noodles, are you there? It's me, '65...

HeadAroundU
11-26-2006, 02:26 PM
uh, Atom (mota backwards), are you there? It's me, HAU. Is that you on Can't repeat?

I bet it's Josh.

Little_Miss_1565
11-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Noodles loves us better than Atom :P

0r4ng3
11-26-2006, 04:05 PM
It could be Josh, but it really doesn't sound like Josh. Compare Can't Repeat to any song from Splinter, or even any non-Offspring album that Josh Freese has been on. The drums from the album were harder-hitting, and more defined. Can't Repeat's drums are similar to earlier Offspring, when the drums would just be in the background, nothing more, nothing less.

Jakebert
11-26-2006, 04:06 PM
*Usually* when an artist says they wrote a song alone, they mean the lyrics. If you've ever written a song for a full band, it's very very hard to write instrument parts without the band there. More likely would be that he wrote the lyrics in the air, but most of the music itself would be written with the band. Unless Dexter actually whips out a book of staff paper and actually writes sheet music for the band, which I doubt.

Actually, having just one member right a song by themselves is fairly common. Roger Waters, Pete Townsend, Ben Gibbard, and as much as I hate him, Kurt Cobain are all notable examples of this. If a song is only credited to one person, then usually that person did almost, if not all, of the music and lyrics themselves. If not, it's credited to the whole band.

nameless
11-26-2006, 04:15 PM
It could be Josh, but it really doesn't sound like Josh. Compare Can't Repeat to any song from Splinter, or even any non-Offspring album that Josh Freese has been on. The drums from the album were harder-hitting, and more defined. Can't Repeat's drums are similar to earlier Offspring, when the drums would just be in the background, nothing more, nothing less.

josh freese is a session drummer, he will record and play anyway he is told to, be it by the band or producer. the drums do sound different to the typical offspring sound but maybe they just wanted something different. there is no reason why it would have been listed incorrectly on the album credits - other than it being a misstake, which as we have established, someone surely would have cleared it up by now.

who knows, (although i doubt it) maybe atom was just seen as the touring drummer at the time.

the likely explanation for me is that josh had recorded and played with them before so the band and the producer wanted to use him again, seeing as he knew how things worked within the band and recording sessions instead of getting someone new in for the recording.

this happened on the last lostprohets album, someone was lined up to record the drums but although the band hadnt worked with josh before, the producer had and they ended up using him.

the offspring doesnt take up all of atoms time and isnt his only project (we know about ava but im not sure when this fits in with the recording of cant repeat). he was working on other things right before he joined the offspring, one of them was the special goodness with pat wilson from weezer (again im not sure on how the dates coincide with each band).

anyway, my point is, he works on other projects and could easly have had something else going on at the time, or as someone else pointed out, maybe the music was recorded earlier with josh. some of you seem to think its absurd that atom didnt record that track with them but there are perfectly good reasons why he didnt!

Venom Symbiote
11-26-2006, 04:45 PM
The Offspring was his major project before Angels and Airwaves came into being, and The Offspring will yet again be his band once Angels and Airwaves crumble into nothing in, oh, a matter of months.

As for the "writing" of the song, no doubt he didn't write it note-for-note in his plane. But I'm still saying it was more than lyrics. He's notorious for walking around with a tape-recorder and just humming/singing out melody ideas in his day-to-day routine. I'm guessing it's more a matter of him taking a tape recorder with him on his trip and writing the melody and rough drumbeat/bassline/guitar riff ideas on the move.

He probably touched things up once he got home, sure. But if he says he "wrote it in the air" chances are he's meaning more than just the words.

Ryder1234
11-26-2006, 08:28 PM
i think i heard somewhere that cant reapeat was left over material from splinter, so it probably was josh drumming.
and have you ever :D noticed that most offspring drumbeats are the same, hopfully atom will bring another sound

ACYD
11-26-2006, 10:22 PM
Atom's a great drummer but I dislike him being a part of the Offspring simply because I don't like the way so many bands share members now. I know it's different with drummers, but how would everyone feel if Dexter suddenly started singing for another band?

Venom Symbiote
11-26-2006, 10:33 PM
i think i heard somewhere that cant reapeat was left over material from splinter

For the twenty-billionth time, fucker, it's not.

Little_Miss_1565
11-26-2006, 10:37 PM
For the twenty-billionth time, fucker, it's not.

And you still have yet to answer how you are so frigging sure that despite what the credits in the liner notes say, it can't be Josh Freese drumming.

Little_Miss_1565
11-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Atom's a great drummer but I dislike him being a part of the Offspring simply because I don't like the way so many bands share members now. I know it's different with drummers, but how would everyone feel if Dexter suddenly started singing for another band?

Um...not to be a smartass, but like you said, it's different with drummers, and Atom isn't exactly a founding member of the Offspring.

ACYD
11-26-2006, 10:55 PM
I just dislike the way all the bands are starting to share members, and everyone's got their own side project. It makes it that much harder for new bands to "make it" when all the newly created bands are staffed by pros with already-established reps. I'd rather have four band members who are all committed to one band; it's sure to have better results, rather than having Atom come off an AVA tour and "switching gears" into Offspring style.

This has nothing to do with it but I have the same complaint about Sum41. They're hiring a new guitarist who will only tour with them, but won't record in studio or actually be a band member. I think if you're in the band, you ought to be in the band, fully. Notice that Metallica doesn't do that crap. You're either in or out, and you don't play for other bands.

Little_Miss_1565
11-26-2006, 11:46 PM
That attitude caused Ron Welty to leave the band.

It's become clear that Dexter is the main creative force when it comes to writing. It'd be pretty silly to expect everyone to just sit around and wait to be told what to do, especially when you're a drummer and drummers are so in demand. But back to what you said about new bands making it....wha? Since when are the offspring a new band that has yet to make it?

WebDudette
11-27-2006, 12:00 AM
I believe he is saying new new bands are having a hard time getting noticed when all the other new bands have experienced people from big bands in them.

Like Heavens debut album was very well know because Matt Skiba was in Alkaline Trio.

ACYD
11-27-2006, 08:45 AM
I'm talking about bands like Velvet Revolver that are made up of stars that have already earned their reputations in other highly successful bands. Does the music rock? Well, yeah, but it's kind of like bypassing the competition.

I have a liking for bands who make it up from the bottom and stay together and don't go off to side projects. Maybe that's what caused Welty to leave, but I liked him more than Atom.

Hypodermic_89
11-27-2006, 10:31 AM
Atom is the Offspring's drummer. :rolleyes:

Little_Miss_1565
11-27-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm talking about bands like Velvet Revolver that are made up of stars that have already earned their reputations in other highly successful bands. Does the music rock? Well, yeah, but it's kind of like bypassing the competition.

I have a liking for bands who make it up from the bottom and stay together and don't go off to side projects. Maybe that's what caused Welty to leave, but I liked him more than Atom.

Personal preferences are rather besides the point, though. A band has to go with what's good for the band. It's in AVA's best interest to be fronted by Tom Delonge, who's already developed a fan base, and to be perfectly honest, maybe it will help the Offspring's chart numbers when the record comes out that Atom is also in that band. No one can retroactively write the Offspring's history, things are the way they are and it's pretty useless to bemoan that. The history-arc you describe is hardly the only way a good band can develop.

Venom Symbiote
11-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Hah, and now he's pissing on Velvet Revolver, one of a small handful of bands formed this decade that actually know how to kick ass, rock-style.

Don't be bashing that band, man. Vocalist aside, they are the shit. Guns N' Roses original lineup forevermore! Worship them. Slash is your deity.

nameless
11-27-2006, 03:42 PM
I just dislike the way all the bands are starting to share members, and everyone's got their own side project. It makes it that much harder for new bands to "make it" when all the newly created bands are staffed by pros with already-established reps. I'd rather have four band members who are all committed to one band; it's sure to have better results, rather than having Atom come off an AVA tour and "switching gears" into Offspring style.

This has nothing to do with it but I have the same complaint about Sum41. They're hiring a new guitarist who will only tour with them, but won't record in studio or actually be a band member. I think if you're in the band, you ought to be in the band, fully. Notice that Metallica doesn't do that crap. You're either in or out, and you don't play for other bands.

i think people should be able to play in other bands as long as things dont interfere with each other.

as for sum 41, bands use extra muscians all the time (higgins in the offspring, jason white in green day), its how things work for and suits certain people!

Venom Symbiote
11-27-2006, 03:57 PM
No, no, shitty example.

Higgins and White should be official members of their respective bands. They just should. How long's White been with Green Day now? 10 years, or close to it? It's fucked up.

He's at just about every show, playing alongside them, helping out and doing his thing, and doesn't get any fucking credit for it. I'm sure he gets a hefty paycheck at the end of the week, but hey, it's the principle of the thing. He is a part of Green Day and has been for a long time, he's not just some guy helping out on one or two songs a night, or filling in for someone who's sick. The guy has just as much right to be there as Tre.

Higgins too, although to a lesser extent I guess. He's more backing vocals and percussion/synth effects or whatever.

nameless
11-27-2006, 04:32 PM
maybe its just not in their interests to be an official member although they do record and tour with the band. i agree with the fact they have both been with the bands for ages now but you have to take into account the marketing, image rights, press, photos etc. (these things will be an issue to the management and people at the label and they might not want an extra person), or perhaps higgins and jason white dont want that "role" within the band!

they are members in their own way, just as the roadies, techs and other accompanying muscians are!

ACYD
11-27-2006, 06:20 PM
I'm not opposed to bands using extras for live performances when there simply aren't enough musicians to make all the music, but on the other hand I have more respect for a band that can do a live show of their music without needing any extras. Clearly Higgins was needed once they started putting extras into the songs and moved away from just plain guitars-drums-n-bass.

Green Day should just make him a full member of the band. In my opinion, if a band only has one guitarist, the songs should only have one guitar part, and not a solo backed by rhythm guitar. If you want solos, either use just the bass to back it, or have a rhythm guitarist that's a real member of the band!

Jakebert
11-27-2006, 06:34 PM
No, no, shitty example.

Higgins and White should be official members of their respective bands. They just should. How long's White been with Green Day now? 10 years, or close to it? It's fucked up.

He's at just about every show, playing alongside them, helping out and doing his thing, and doesn't get any fucking credit for it. I'm sure he gets a hefty paycheck at the end of the week, but hey, it's the principle of the thing. He is a part of Green Day and has been for a long time, he's not just some guy helping out on one or two songs a night, or filling in for someone who's sick. The guy has just as much right to be there as Tre.

The only reason he didn't join them full time is because he was in another band, who broke up recentely. So I'm thinking he may be joining full time, seeing as months after they broke up he was in his first music video with Green Day.

Little_Miss_1565
11-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Green Day should just make him a full member of the band. In my opinion, if a band only has one guitarist, the songs should only have one guitar part, and not a solo backed by rhythm guitar. If you want solos, either use just the bass to back it, or have a rhythm guitarist that's a real member of the band!

Have you ever been in a band, or recorded with one?

Swill
11-28-2006, 08:45 AM
the thought of atom drumming on a whole offspring album really excites me.......his percussion on next to you is awesome........cant wait
________
OXYCONTIN REHAB DICUSSION (http://www.rehab-forum.com/oxycontin-rehab/)

HeadAroundU
11-28-2006, 11:18 AM
How do you know that it's Atom on Next to you?

Ninty Man
11-28-2006, 03:44 PM

Well... we suppose :(

Ryder1234
12-14-2006, 05:43 PM
the thought of atom drumming on a whole offspring album really excites me.......his percussion on next to you is awesome........cant wait

here we go again

StayInTheHouseCarl
12-14-2006, 11:14 PM
actually, it was I who drummed on Next to You.

Mystery Solved.

Awesome_Avril
12-15-2006, 07:24 PM
I just bought a ticket to see Angels and Airwaves at the small theater where they are playing Monday Night (December 18th). Not because I particularly care about that band but for the express purpose of seeing Atom play. Iím hoping that Iíll get to talk to him and show him some of the pics that I took during Warped Tour and at Brixton Academy. I really want to show him the picture that he took of both of us, when there was no one available to actually take a picture when I met him. He claimed that he was an expert at self photography. Not!! He definitely didnít get us centered in the picture at all but it is still a good picture. It was fun!

If I get to talk to him, are there any messages that I should pass on?? Let me know. No promises that will happen though. That show is NOT sold out. Any surprise there??

Llamas
12-15-2006, 07:31 PM
I can't fathom justifying spending upwards of $30 to see a drummer that I like solely because he drums in another band I like. Especially if I had to sit through over an hour of Tom's singing. :-/

Dirty Magician
12-15-2006, 07:36 PM
I've heard of this tour for like seven months now, are they still touring what the hell?

Awesome_Avril
12-15-2006, 08:10 PM
The ticket was $25 + $2 svc chg.

I just thought that it might be fun to see him play again and possibly talk to him and maybe do a Jager shot or two. Maybe the Jager will take the edge off of Tom DeLonge's singing!!!

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
12-15-2006, 08:32 PM
I can't fathom justifying spending upwards of $30 to see a drummer that I like solely because he drums in another band I like. Especially if I had to sit through over an hour of Tom's singing. :-/

You said it all. I agree. :)

nameless
12-15-2006, 10:14 PM
I just bought a ticket to see Angels and Airwaves at the small theater where they are playing Monday Night (December 18th). Not because I particularly care about that band but for the express purpose of seeing Atom play. Iím hoping that Iíll get to talk to him and show him some of the pics that I took during Warped Tour and at Brixton Academy. I really want to show him the picture that he took of both of us, when there was no one available to actually take a picture when I met him. He claimed that he was an expert at self photography. Not!! He definitely didnít get us centered in the picture at all but it is still a good picture. It was fun!

If I get to talk to him, are there any messages that I should pass on?? Let me know. No promises that will happen though. That show is NOT sold out. Any surprise there??

it may sound a bit cheeky but you could ask him to clear up the situation of who recorded the drums on cant repeat and next to you and who will be recording on the next album!

StayInTheHouseCarl
12-15-2006, 11:58 PM
when tom delonge sings... he looks like a monkey with down-syndrome.

no offense to the monkey community.

Ceejio21
12-16-2006, 07:32 AM
Friggin hell,

It's been ages since I've posted on here. Anyway, on the topic of drumming for the new album I'm not overly sure to be honest what's going to happen. Angels and Airwaves do finish their tour on December 18th and if nothing is planned for them in the early new year then it would make Atom available to lay down the drums for the new record.

I dont think they'll have done any work on the drums as yet, it'll all be guitars and bass (perhaps some initial vocal demo-ing). However, being optimistic can I remind you of this journal post:

http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/journal?journal=427512

Back in February the band did actually do some recording with Atom present that day, they've also re-recorded Dirty Magic with Atom on the drums and there's a possibility that may feature somewhere at the end of the album.

If this material is on the album (although Dexter was unsure himself at the time of writing) and they get a studio drummer in to record the drum parts then I can't wait to see the album credits on this record!!!

Finally, in all honesty I think Atom will record and tour with them next year. Angels have almost finished their first cycle of recording and touring and Atom will be free to work with The Offspring. Atom has pretty much learnt the full catalogue of Offspring material (including many of the older songs) so what's the point in drafting someone else in for the new tour and for them having to learn many drum parts?

Perhaps Dexter could read and address this in his next journal article?

For now, the wait continues...

Little_Miss_1565
12-16-2006, 07:50 AM

It'd sure be nice.

nameless
12-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Friggin hell,

It's been ages since I've posted on here. Anyway, on the topic of drumming for the new album I'm not overly sure to be honest what's going to happen. Angels and Airwaves do finish their tour on December 18th and if nothing is planned for them in the early new year then it would make Atom available to lay down the drums for the new record.

I dont think they'll have done any work on the drums as yet, it'll all be guitars and bass (perhaps some initial vocal demo-ing). However, being optimistic can I remind you of this journal post:

http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/journal?journal=427512

Back in February the band did actually do some recording with Atom present that day, they've also re-recorded Dirty Magic with Atom on the drums and there's a possibility that may feature somewhere at the end of the album.

If this material is on the album (although Dexter was unsure himself at the time of writing) and they get a studio drummer in to record the drum parts then I can't wait to see the album credits on this record!!!

Finally, in all honesty I think Atom will record and tour with them next year. Angels have almost finished their first cycle of recording and touring and Atom will be free to work with The Offspring. Atom has pretty much learnt the full catalogue of Offspring material (including many of the older songs) so what's the point in drafting someone else in for the new tour and for them having to learn many drum parts?

For now, the wait continues...

theres no reason why atom wont be touring with them, someone claimed, having spoken to atom, that he wasnt going to record with the and they were getting someone else to record on the new album(more than likely josh freese!). this may have been lies but the recording and tour dates with ava have clashed so far but if their tour ends soon, then who knows!

hopefully awsome avril will be able to clear it up for us!

Floyd the Barber
12-16-2006, 08:41 PM
theres no reason why atom wont be touring with them, someone claimed, having spoken to atom, that he wasnt going to record with the and they were getting someone else to record on the new album(more than likely josh freese!). this may have been lies but the recording and tour dates with ava have clashed so far but if their tour ends soon, then who knows!

Barring a last-minute extension (which would suck ass), the AVA tour ends on Monday. So Atom should be free to record soon.