PDA

View Full Version : Punchline

Llamas
11-19-2006, 09:57 PM
The cool people here who like Lucky Boys Confusion probably know who I'm talking about... LBC's last tour had Punchline opening for them... I thought they put on a great show and bought their album. They're definitely an attempt at pop-punk, but they're really good at it. I think the guitarwork makes them stand out, and I think the singer is really good.

Here's their myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/punchline

It has 4 songs from their newest cd, 37 Everywhere. Sadly none of them are what I consider the strongest songs on the cd, but they are all good. "For the Second Time" is a pretty strong ballad.

XYlophonetreeZ
11-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Hmm, I thought their show was pretty boring. All I remember is they told a bunch of dumb jokes and made everyone throw their arms up and cheer to pose for a picture so they could put it on their MySpace to create the illusion that the crowd was actually into it. As for their music, I know it wasn't at all original, but that's all I remember.

Llamas
11-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Really? They didn't do either at the show I saw. And I like them on album better than live... it might be because I didn't know the songs yet. You should check out the myspace link, though.

JohnnyNemesis
11-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Never heard of them, but I checked out their MySpace link. It was so gay that my penis somehow ended up in the anus of another man until I closed my web-browser.

I hated it.

H1T_That
12-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Was a loading error on the myspace, so i couldn't check out the songs. They look pretty shit though.

Llamas
12-02-2006, 03:49 PM
you have to click on a song... I clicked on "they are strong hands" and it works fine.

Apathy
12-02-2006, 03:50 PM
I opened up the link and the first thing I saw was "FUELED BY RAMEN".

Needless to say this gives me a bias against them from the start. I gave them a chance anyway and tried to listen, but their myspace songs keep failing for me as well.

Llamas
12-02-2006, 03:52 PM
I'll upload my favorite songs on here, cause the songs they have on the myspace aren't the best ones, anyway.

And yeah, the fueled by ramen thing is stupid... their humor sucks, which is why their serious songs are much better than the "funny" ones.

Apathy
12-02-2006, 03:56 PM
I hate fueled by ramen. It seems that it doesn't matter what a band sounds like before they sign to them, they will always come out as a generic pop-punk band if they are released onto the label.

Fall Out Boy used to play ska, did you know that? The Drummer worked in the Movie Theater here in Wisconsin and I heard a bootleg of one of their earliest shows. It was actually... good. As soon as they signed onto FBR, they come out as the FOB everyone knows today.
Same goes for Less Than Jake, although they were going downhill to begin with. Ramen was just the final straw.

Llamas
12-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Here are a few. http://www.savefile.com/projects/1051159 I like the getaway and don't try this at home more for their lyrics than the music, but I really like the chorus to don't try this at home. and I think power off is just damn good.

Apathy
12-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Oh My.
I didn't think that you listened to this kind of music. Not really my thing.

I believe I have heard them before however. They possibly played with I Voted For Kodos last time I saw them, I could be mistaken.

Llamas
12-02-2006, 04:45 PM
I always find it really weird when people say things like "I can't believe you like this kind of music" or "I don't like that kind of music". It's foreign to me, because I pretty much like music from every genre. I can't seem to form a dislike of any particular type of music. I can dislike a band, or a particular style within a type... but I take what you said as "I can't believe you like pop punk"... I can't really think of another way to classify "this type of music"...

Apathy
12-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Well.. not exactly.

Of course you listen to Pop-punk. You're on an offspring board, there's little chance that you didn't enjoy them at some point in your life. I listen to Pop-punk, and there isn't anything wrong with that.

However Pop-punk can go anywhere from Lagwagon, Captain Everything, The Vandals, No Use For A Name, The Descendents to stuff in the vein of Good Charlotte, Panic!, and Simple Plan.

To me, this band sounds much more like the latter group and you like them. And that's not bad. I just didn't expect it, because I seem to remember you having a distaste for those bands.

sk8ter-hater
12-02-2006, 09:02 PM
I could stand them if they kicked the singer/lyricist off the band. Both are pretty shit.
The rest was pretty good, though. At least, it caught me better than other bands I've tried.