PDA

View Full Version : An important question.

nieh
11-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Why is it that so many companies make it so that you absolutely NEED the remote to select the a/v device hooked up to your tv but that you only have to use the channel +/- buttons on the tv to change it back? I just used my tv to watch something on tv for the first time in forever (Letterman, I was curious about the whole Michael Richards thing, thought he might have been trying to be Andy Kaufman) and I can't find the remote to put the PS2 back on. Fucking Toshiba.

JohnnyNemesis
11-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Sanyo did the same bullshit to me. Not only do you need a remote to select the A/V inputs, but you need THEIR remote to select A/V inputs...which means you have to order directly FROM the company, no universal remotes or anything.

Fucking assholes.

Mota Boy
11-20-2006, 10:18 PM
Damn near every electronic device comes with a remote nowadays, so I'm guessing they do it to save money on the machine itself, because it's probably cheaper to put buttons on the remote than configure 'em on the TV. Though my family's TV has an "input" button on it (came in handy tonight when trying to watch "Thank You for Smoking" as our remote is broken), and my own does too, though I don't have cable anyway.

Nina
11-21-2006, 03:44 AM
You have no idea how much that pisses me off. Everytime I watch TV I have like 84934 remotes lined up on the table infront of me.

Llamas
11-21-2006, 03:47 AM
Thems a lotta remotes.

Our VCR/DVD player doesn't let you do anything besides play/stop/FF/RW/Eject withouth the remote. You can't record or access the menu or anything... so stupid. Remotes are supposed to make things easier so you don't have to get up. They're not supposed to be the main/only way to control things.

the_GoDdEsS
11-21-2006, 03:49 AM
We have a shitold TV and the remote broke so now you gotta walk all the way from the sofa just to turn up/down the volume. I don't particularly care since I almost never watch TV anyway. Over a year ago we had three of them, one for the TV, one for the VCR and the satellite receiver. Nobody uses those now. It would have been practical to have just one.

Llamas
11-21-2006, 03:50 AM
all the way from the sofa

haha I love that. I love how convenient modern life is.

the_GoDdEsS
11-21-2006, 03:53 AM
I know, was my intention. Except I kinda like the walking part. Makes it funnier.

Paint_It_Black
11-21-2006, 06:59 AM
We have a shitold TV and the remote broke so now you gotta walk all the way from the sofa just to turn up/down the volume. I don't particularly care since I almost never watch TV anyway. Over a year ago we had three of them, one for the TV, one for the VCR and the satellite receiver. Nobody uses those now. It would have been practical to have just one.

This seems beautifully eastern european :P

Sinister
11-21-2006, 07:02 AM
I've got that problem (video input needs remote) too, and for some reason the batteries on my remote keep getting lost in sofa cracks and/or dead.

Lars
11-21-2006, 07:08 AM
My TV has a button on it for selecting the a/v device.

Paint_It_Black
11-21-2006, 07:16 AM
keep getting lost in sofa cracks and/or dead.

I have the same problem with pets.

All About Eve
11-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Not to mention wives.

Lizardus
11-21-2006, 11:25 AM

That happened to me once.
I sat close enough to the tv use a broomstick.
I'm lazy.

HeadAroundU
11-21-2006, 11:42 AM
We have a shitold TV and the remote broke so now you gotta walk all the way from the sofa just to turn up/down the volume.
hehe, welcome back in prehistory. :p

What's the brand of TV? Tesla? Philips? And don't tell me that there is no man in the house who will fix it. Diode is probably fucked up which is not a big problem.

0r4ng3
11-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Well, as long as we're on the subject of TV problems...

My TV has two A/V ports, one on the side, and one in the back. Problem is, The audio only works one at a time. I have the DVD player plugged in the back, and the Xbox on the side. When I wanna watch DVDs, I have to unplug the Xbox from the side, and the other way around. I really don't think it's normal, but that's how it always was, even when my family first got it.

Oh, and to stay on topic: Yeah, I noticed that the channel buttons change it back to TV, but it never bothered me.

the_GoDdEsS
11-21-2006, 12:09 PM
hehe, welcome back in prehistory. :p

What's the brand of TV? Tesla? Philips? And don't tell me that there is no man in the house who will fix it. Diode is probably fucked up which is not a big problem.

Behind the apes, as we say. I don't know, some Orava. Nobody bothers to buy a new one. And I usually fix those things but I don't use the TV any more and nobody else can be bothered.

nieh
11-21-2006, 01:17 PM
Oh, and to stay on topic: Yeah, I noticed that the channel buttons change it back to TV, but it never bothered me.

That's not what bothers me. What bothers me is that you can change it to TV by hittingthe channel buttons, but you need the remote to put it back on a/v. I ALWAYS use my tv for movies and such and now I can't put it back on that setting because I haven't seen the remote in months. I have to buy a new remote because I can't use my PS2 without it.

0r4ng3
11-21-2006, 01:21 PM
I guess I never had a problem with it because my TV has the button to switch it to A/V. My remote sucks and is broken anyway, so it all works out.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-21-2006, 11:43 PM
We have 5 TVs in our house and every single one of them can be changed to AV using the channel buttons. I know not of this crazy system of which you speak.