PDA

View Full Version : Too much Dirty Magic

F@ BANKZ
11-21-2006, 05:26 AM
Am i alone when i say i'm starting to think this song is too talked about and overplayed? i love the song but i love alot of Offspring songs. There are songs as good as Dirty Magic on Ignition and this will be the third time they've covered it (although it is strictly just a rumor). I'm not a long time Offspring fan but i know that this song hasn't been that popular until the late/mid nineties, surely there is just an element of epeople liking this song just because they have been told to.
All the same, I'm liking them playing an old song, but it's just abit over-played for my liking, here's some of what i think they should play instead of it once in a while.

-Kick Him When He's Down (which they do play very occasionally)
-LAPD(killed off)
-GET IT RIGHT! (dunno if they still play this occasionally, don't think they do)
-Elders (killed of)
-I'll Be Waiting (killed off)
-Forever and a day
What do you lot think?

p.s. don't get me wrong this is NOT a kill off Dirty Magic thread

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
11-21-2006, 05:36 AM
Am i alone when i say i'm starting to think this song is too talked about and overplayed

Yes, yes you are.

(although it is strictly just a rumor).

Dexter confirmed this, go read his journals.

F@ BANKZ
11-21-2006, 05:48 AM
Yes, yes you are.

i was expecting simple predictable replies such as this, ah well

p.s. second point given

Little_Miss_1565
11-21-2006, 06:12 AM
"popular since the mid nineties"? Um, it came out in 1992.

Just because *you* don't like it doesn't mean that others can't like it on their own, not because they were told by someone that they should like it. Get a grip, man.

F@ BANKZ
11-21-2006, 06:13 AM
i do like it it's just its just its being played like more than even when it was released

F@ BANKZ
11-21-2006, 06:15 AM
in fact probably like it as much as any song off ignition, but that's as much so i just don't see why they can't play something else too

strife
11-21-2006, 06:54 AM
I'll agree. I love the song, but it does seem strange that they're recording it again. Not complaining at all, though.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
11-21-2006, 06:58 AM
I'll agree. I love the song, but it does seem strange that they're recording it again. Not complaining at all, though.

If you remember the journal correctly, i'm sure Dexter said it was re-recorded in 2005, which means it has already been done

And i don't think it's strange at all, because he simply said "We thought we could do a better job of it"

P.S. Not trying to be harsh at you or anything, just putting my points across.

Peedr
11-21-2006, 08:04 AM
I really don't think it's overplayed (Pretty Fly and Hit That are overplayed). I just think, it's popular and well discussed among The Offspring fans (Yes, I think Dirty Magic is very often talked about). With Kick Him When He's Down, it's the most known song from Ignition. Maybe it's because releasing the acoustic version on GH. But, they don't play it on radio, so I listen to it only if I want to. So, it would never get overplayed for me.

Sinister
11-21-2006, 08:06 AM
I really don't think it's overplayed (Pretty Fly and Hit That are overplayed). I just think, it's so popular among The Offspring fans. With Kick Him When He's Down*, it's the most known song from Ignition. Maybe it's because releasing acoustic version on GH.

*Forever and a Day, seriously.

And I think the new version of DM will certainly be interesting.

sad_statue_27
11-21-2006, 08:32 AM
I agree. Dirty Magic is wayyyy overhyped. I'd much rather they played Elders, Crossroads, No Hero. Stuff like that

rlplaymaker
11-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Am i alone when i say i'm starting to think this song is too talked about and overplayed? i love the song but i love alot of Offspring songs. There are songs as good as Dirty Magic on Ignition and this will be the third time they've covered it (although it is strictly just a rumor). I'm not a long time Offspring fan but i know that this song hasn't been that popular until the late/mid nineties, surely there is just an element of epeople liking this song just because they have been told to.
All the same, I'm liking them playing an old song, but it's just abit over-played for my liking, here's some of what i think they should play instead of it once in a while.

-LAPD(killed off)
-GET IT RIGHT! (dunno if they still play this occasionally, don't think they do)
-Elders (killed of)
-Forever and a day
What do you lot think?

dude, its not a myth, dexter told us they remade it

Venom Symbiote
11-21-2006, 02:44 PM
As much as this kid is a flaming cuntrash, he does kind of have a point if you ignore the rest of what he says.

He likes "Dirty Magic". You like "Dirty Magic". I like "Dirty Magic".

Sure.

Does that automatically mean it's not overrated? Doubtful. I tend to agree, I mean the song kicks ass and all, but really. Whenever you hear "hardcore" Offspring fans talk about the band's definitive song, "Dirty Magic" is guaranteed to come up.

I don't really understand that. It's a great song, but it still probably does command more respect than it deserves. There are better songs on Ignition, and most definitely better songs on their other albums. Even Self-Titled, as much as it pains me to say it due to its immature TSOL-rip-off-ery.

Little_Miss_1565
11-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Eh, I'm inclined to think you're incorrect, Venom. The whole reason the Offspring have been revisiting "Dirty Magic" is because like you said, the hardcore fans are like 'OMFG DIRTY MAGIC JKASDJSDFHJDJSDFJKLF." Remember the Americana tour where they first busted it out live (and acoustic)? People fucking lost their shit. There's an enduring amount of demand for it, more so than "Forever and a Day," which I think is a better song from Ignition.

Venom Symbiote
11-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Sorry, you're...kind of agreeing with me, but I'm incorrect? What about? :confused:

Yeah, "Forever And A Day", "Nothing From Something", "Get It Right", "Kick Him When He's Down" - all superior songs to "DM" any day of the week.

And sure there's lots of demand for "Dirty Magic". I just don't quite understand why. Is it because it was their first move into a kind of "non-punk" styled song?

Because they've made better attempts at it in following years. It's still been overshadowed by other better, slower songs.

Maybe it's not so much that "DM" is overrated, more that their other slower songs are underrated.

Either way, the love for this song seems a little extreme in my eyes. It's cool, but...why such fanaticism over it?

Little_Miss_1565
11-21-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm tired, I barely know what I mean anymore let alone would be able to explain myself.

78 Water
11-21-2006, 04:52 PM
I love Dirty Magic because of the awesome chourus and cool guitar work. The chorous has an awesome vocal melody to it.

German Andres
11-21-2006, 05:01 PM

-LAPD(killed off)
-Elders (killed of)
-Forever and a day
What do you lot think?

Maybe you are right. Now thet I come to think about it, Dirty Magic
is too much talked about. It`s an awesome song, but there are lots of exellent songs too, not only from Ignition but from all the other albums.I`d like them to play those songs you mentioned.

strife
11-21-2006, 07:20 PM
And i don't think it's strange at all, because he simply said "We thought we could do a better job of it"

They could probably do a better job of every song off Ignition. As others have said, why not Forever and a Day or Get It Right etc? After doing the acoustic on GH, it does seem strange that they would do it again.

Llamas
11-21-2006, 07:28 PM
the band gets a great response from dirty magic... they know it's quite popular. so when they are going to choose a song off the album to record, sure they could pick ANYTHING. they choose dirty magic because it's probably the most liked song off the album. No matter what they picked, there are going to be people who think they could have picked something better. I'd like to hear nothing from something or forever and a day. but you know what, they chose to re-record something because that's what they wanted to re-record. just be happy about it instead of complaining about it being overrated. who cares why people like it? I think it's a great song, and I thought so the first time I heard it, not because others like it.

Ninty Man
11-23-2006, 06:03 PM
As much as this kid is a flaming cuntrash, he does kind of have a point if you ignore the rest of what he says.

He likes "Dirty Magic". You like "Dirty Magic". I like "Dirty Magic".

Sure.

Does that automatically mean it's not overrated? Doubtful. I tend to agree, I mean the song kicks ass and all, but really. Whenever you hear "hardcore" Offspring fans talk about the band's definitive song, "Dirty Magic" is guaranteed to come up.

I don't really understand that. It's a great song, but it still probably does command more respect than it deserves. There are better songs on Ignition, and most definitely better songs on their other albums. Even Self-Titled, as much as it pains me to say it due to its immature TSOL-rip-off-ery.

I really think that their best song shall be Tehran, Beheaded, jennifer lost the war, forever and a day, etc... and dirty magic... but it's not my first option

ZagmenO
11-25-2006, 07:12 PM
I've always said that they shouldn't put the new Dirty Magic on the new album. If it's on Ignition then what's the point? That's how songs get killed when bands over do them like that. I know Dex said that it was not done right and that there's a better one. But a) it sounds good anyway and b) it's on the frikkin GH dual disc.

Venom Symbiote
11-25-2006, 08:48 PM
It won't be on the album, at least as anything more than a secret track like the "Change The World" prototype riff at the end of Smash.

Llamas
11-26-2006, 12:15 AM
It won't be on the album, at least as anything more than a secret track like the "Change The World" prototype riff at the end of Smash.

Did they say this somewhere? Or are you just guessing?

Venom Symbiote
11-26-2006, 12:19 AM
They didn't say it anywhere, no. I'm right though.

You know that, stop arguing for the sake of arguing. Since when have the Offspring ever done anything like that?

It would be retarded.

It'll be on a single or a compilation or something. Hell, even a movie soundtrack.

It won't be one of the main-album tracks though, come on, thinking that way is just plain silly.

Llamas
11-26-2006, 12:35 AM
When had they ever recorded a song and made it a main album track that sounded like it was from the 1920s before Splinter? When had they ever made a longer song with a beginning half that sounds arabian as an album's main track before Americana? They only other song they've ever re-recorded was Beheaded, and they did that *specifically* for a movie soundtrack, not as the first song recorded before the release of a new album.

WebDudette
11-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Well they did re-do Tehran... kinda.

Llamas
11-26-2006, 01:10 AM
Weren't they both done at the same time and they like flipped a coin over which one would go on the album?

WebDudette
11-26-2006, 01:19 AM
It's possible I really have no idea.

DeAtHsTaR
11-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Weren't they both done at the same time and they like flipped a coin over which one would go on the album?

No, Baghdad was obviously made during the Desert Storm.

Little_Miss_1565
11-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Dain is right--the Baghdad EP came out between S/T and Ignition, or in other words during Desert Storm. Also, think about it, in the late 80's was all the drama with the Ayatollah in Iran. The early 90's were all about Saddam.

ACYD
11-26-2006, 10:40 PM
I didn't like "Dirty Magic" because someone told me to, in fact, when I was first discovering the Offspring for myself I didn't interact with other fans. I happened to pick up Smash on a trip to Anaheim, though I knew some of the band's songs before that. I immediately liked "Something To Believe In", which was my favorite for a while, and then later on I hijacked the self-titled and Ignition right off this site. For months I didn't even listen to anything that came out beyond Smash.

I developed a liking for "Dirty Magic" that has never since wavered, and I don't think it's overrated at all. I think hardcore fans love it because it's one of the best songs.

Dr Appetite
11-28-2006, 12:23 AM
I personally think its the worst song on ignition. Its not bad, the other ones are just better.

Llamas
11-28-2006, 12:38 AM
Dain is right--the Baghdad EP came out between S/T and Ignition, or in other words during Desert Storm. Also, think about it, in the late 80's was all the drama with the Ayatollah in Iran. The early 90's were all about Saddam.

Erm, if anything, Baghdad was written first, because Baghdad was released on vinyl before Tehran came out on the s/t album.

Venom Symbiote
11-28-2006, 04:31 AM
L_M_1565 has got it here.

"Tehran" was about the big-ass Iranian problems during the Reagan presidency, they re-worked it as "Baghdad" for the Gulf War making it more relevant.

As for "written first", they're the same fucking song.

Little_Miss_1565
11-28-2006, 07:08 AM
Erm, if anything, Baghdad was written first, because Baghdad was released on vinyl before Tehran came out on the s/t album.

S/T came out in 89.

Baghdad EP came out in 91.

AtomMasnyk
11-28-2006, 07:37 AM
Dirty Magic is great. Dont get me wrong. I like it but yeah a lot more of LAPD and Kick em when hes down would be great. Many offspring songs are underappreciated