PDA

View Full Version : Fired!

wheelchairman
11-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Well, layed off.

The school used too much money and has to close it's English section. :(

I don't particularly mind because it wasn't exactly my favorite job, it just paid well. I will just work 3 times as many hours at Peugeot from now on. :)

Tizzalicious
11-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Aww :( I liked dating a teacher :(

JohnnyNemesis
11-22-2006, 11:20 AM
The proletariat is mistreated once again!

Nina
11-22-2006, 11:21 AM
uh. Why did they close the English section and not another one? Is there a reason behind that?

wheelchairman
11-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Tizz, now you're just dating a lowly spare car parts packer. :(

Johnny, you tell it brother!

Nina, because it was too big, I think. (so they didn't close the entire english group, just the part I was in. :( )

Nina
11-22-2006, 11:26 AM
That really sucks. Are the other sections smaller? Because I cant imagine that the other sections are "more important" than the English one.

78 Water
11-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Good luck finding a new job!

sKratch
11-22-2006, 11:44 AM
The school used too much money and has to close it's English section. :(

I hope that's not how you taught your kids to use its and it's, buddy ;[

JohnnyNemesis
11-22-2006, 11:55 AM
I was gonna say the same thing about this:

Well, layed off.

But decided to show some love instead.

lolololol belief and opinion r same lol.

wheelchairman
11-22-2006, 01:41 PM
My English sucked because I wrote that post right before I made something to eat, and immediately after work.

Also it doesn't matter, my class never got past Subject-Verb Agreement/ Verbs in the Present Tense.

I did finally get the difference between A/An/The into their heads. :)

HeadAroundU
11-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Congratulation. need msn smiley goddamnit!

the_GoDdEsS
11-22-2006, 02:23 PM

If they are natives of a language that does not have a system of articles, then that's pretty annoying to teach with some people.

wheelchairman
11-22-2006, 02:23 PM
If they are natives of a language that does not have a system of articles, then that's pretty annoying to teach with some people.

They're Kurds, I have no idea. (And two are pakis).

I don't really know though, I mean they've grown up in Denmark but their speak worse danish than I do. They have the disadvantage of being shitty at all languages.

the_GoDdEsS
11-22-2006, 02:27 PM
They have the disadvantage of being shitty at all languages.

Erm, some people just don't have the talent. Then it's fucking hard and requires a lot of effort on their part, which would help them. I hate that because people are usually lazy. It's so much easier teaching somebody who picks shit up fast.

78 Water
11-22-2006, 02:41 PM
May I ask what grade you taught?

wheelchairman
11-22-2006, 02:42 PM
May I ask what grade you taught?

They were all around 13.

HeadAroundU
11-22-2006, 02:56 PM
I still have a little problem with it. I'm so lazy to figure it out. There are some unpleasant exceptions as well, I think.

Venom Symbiote
11-22-2006, 03:36 PM
Learning a language isn't a talent, unless you've got some kind of understandable deficiency/syndrome.

I don't know about Denmark and such, I'm sure it's probably different, but over here we have this habit of blaming teachers because just about everyone under 15 these days can't spell.

That's bullshit. They're the same teachers that were teaching ten years ago, and in the same way, and my generation for the most part are literate.

It's more the fact that douchey kids these days don't want to learn. That and the internet.

Fuck fuck fuck.

[/rant]

the_GoDdEsS
11-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Learning a language isn't a talent, unless you've got some kind of understandable deficiency/syndrome.

Some people are more talented for languages and language learning/ acquisition than others. That's a well-researched theory in psycholinguistics.

Venom Symbiote
11-22-2006, 03:56 PM
Pseudolinguistics.

the_GoDdEsS
11-22-2006, 04:02 PM
What is that supposed to mean?

T-6005
11-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Sounded like a Scientology reference where psychology is a pseudoscience.

78 Water
11-22-2006, 04:07 PM

I didn't know at first, so I broke it in half. The meaning of pseudo, pseudo is a greek prefix usually meaning false, or pretending to be something that is not.

Lingustics is the study of language.

So, I guess it means the false study of language?

HeadAroundU
11-22-2006, 04:13 PM
Sim's a charlatan!

the_GoDdEsS
11-22-2006, 04:15 PM
I didn't know at first, so I broke it in half. The meaning of pseudo, pseudo is a greek prefix usually meaning false, or pretending to be something that is not.

Lingustics is the study of language.

So, I guess it means the false study of language?

I understood the word and reference. I was asking though what he meant if he's so smart at all linguistic disciplines. I'm sure he has enough experience and speaks more than two languages fluently to make assumptions like in the post I referred to.

78 Water
11-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Sorry. I didn't mean to make it seem like you didn't know it.

wheelchairman
11-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Yeah arguing with Sim on linguistics, you really walked into that can of worms.

I have a friend who wrote a doctoral thesis on Irish history, someone once said to him online "man you must know nothing about Ireland." Same thing.

HeadAroundU
11-22-2006, 04:33 PM
haha, poor venom. :p :)

the_GoDdEsS
11-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Last time he was telling me in your forum what Rammstein lyrics are about, based on some shitty translation. Shit, man.

Izie
11-22-2006, 08:44 PM
Oh nos.

Well, at least you never had to sing "Hi, hello"? That should count as an achievement in a teacher's career!

JohnnyNemesis
11-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Erm, some people just don't have the talent. Then it's fucking hard and requires a lot of effort on their part, which would help them. I hate that because people are usually lazy. It's so much easier teaching somebody who picks shit up fast.

True. It's also harder to learn a language the older you get; language is different than other things that you learn in that you LIVE language at the same time. It defines shit.

Aside from Spanish and English, I'm pretty shitty at learning languages :(

Tizzalicious
11-22-2006, 11:37 PM
Iza! How are you?

the_GoDdEsS
11-23-2006, 01:43 AM
True. It's also harder to learn a language the older you get; language is different than other things that you learn in that you LIVE language at the same time. It defines shit.

Most definitely. Age is quite a factor, I've seen that not just in theory but through teaching absolutely all age groups. However, there are many, many other factors that influence learning. For instance, I taught two people who were both over 50 and beginners and they were amazingly good, because they did have a natural talent, motivation and effort.

Izie
11-23-2006, 08:34 AM
Iza! How are you?

It's fun to be in class today? :p

And Sim and Ricky are spot-on, in my French class some people just get it faster, they make less mistakes, they understand more... And some can't put a sentence together for the life of them. And we've all been following the same classes, so...

Llamas
11-24-2006, 12:50 AM

I don't know about Denmark and such, I'm sure it's probably different, but over here we have this habit of blaming teachers because just about everyone under 15 these days can't spell.

That's bullshit. They're the same teachers that were teaching ten years ago, and in the same way, and my generation for the most part are literate.

It's more the fact that douchey kids these days don't want to learn. That and the internet.

Fuck fuck fuck.

[/rant]

Oh my god. Seriously. How many languages do you know? Can you speak any language besides English fluently? Some people have more of an innate talent to learn or acquire language than others do. I know someone who is proficient in 11 languages and fluent in 5. I also know a LOT of people who struggle like mad to become fluent in just TWO.

Last time he was telling me in your forum what Rammstein lyrics are about, based on some shitty translation. Shit, man.

I think he said "I don't have to know German to know that "du hast meicht" means "you have me"! and then he ran away from the topic as soon as he realized he was completely wrong.

JohnnyNemesis
11-24-2006, 12:57 AM
I know someone who is proficient in 11 languages

Yeah, me too, his name is Justin (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9621).

Sin Studly
11-24-2006, 01:01 AM
Que habla burrito mucho?

JohnnyNemesis
11-24-2006, 01:09 AM
I agree; Poles are Nordic.

Sin Studly
11-24-2006, 01:12 AM
El burra muy gracias, amigo. Ariba!

Duskygrin
11-24-2006, 02:53 AM
I know someone who is proficient in 11 languages and fluent in 5. I also know a LOT of people who struggle like mad to become fluent in just TWO.

Oh la, oh la, oh la, oh. Wait a second. What ARE those 11 languages? The 5 languages fluency, I can comprehend, but how closely related are those 11 languages you talk about?

As for fluency... fluency in japanese isn't the same as fluency in italian for a native european speaker. You cannot just lump languages like that. Some discrimination should be advisory.

Idiot
11-24-2006, 10:59 AM
First observations at learning some very basic Japanese suggests Japanese is far more difficult to learn, well, at least actually speaking it anyway, as its harder to get your tongue around a lot of it.

T-6005
11-24-2006, 11:21 AM
First observations at learning some very basic Japanese suggests Japanese is far more difficult to learn, well, at least actually speaking it anyway, as its harder to get your tongue around a lot of it.
The structure of Japanese is really the most annoying part, remembering where to stick all the little particles for your sentences to make sense.

Llamas
11-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Oh la, oh la, oh la, oh. Wait a second. What ARE those 11 languages? The 5 languages fluency, I can comprehend, but how closely related are those 11 languages you talk about?

As for fluency... fluency in japanese isn't the same as fluency in italian for a native european speaker. You cannot just lump languages like that. Some discrimination should be advisory.

He's fluent in English, French, Japanese, Spanish, and Hebrew. Spanish and French are somewhat closely related (romance languages), but English, Hebrew, and Japanese are all incredibly unrelated.

I don't know all 11 languages he knows, though. I know he's proficient in German, Korean, Russian... yeah I don't remember the rest.