PDA

View Full Version : Philippe Noiret! he's dead!

Duskygrin
11-23-2006, 02:38 PM
. .

Venom Symbiote
11-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Eh, according to IMDb he's no big loss.

JoY
11-23-2006, 02:45 PM
the thread title almost suggests you're happy about it. "Philippe Noiret! he's dead! YAY".

Duskygrin
11-23-2006, 02:53 PM
I managed to dig a photo from a french article, sorry about the frenchness but it's all there is to it: Philippe le Grand (http://fr.news.yahoo.com/23112006/290/photo/deces-de-philippe-noiret.html)

Revolver-2005?
11-23-2006, 02:58 PM
I guess I sort of liked Judge Dredd a bit...but it's not the biggest loss in Hollywood.

Duskygrin
11-23-2006, 03:12 PM
erm... noiret didn't act in dredd... nor in any hollywood flicks methinks... so yeah, he's no loss for Hollywood, but not all the great & good belong to hollywood

Venom Symbiote
11-23-2006, 03:16 PM
No, but French cinema hasn't got anything on American cinema, no matter what their film snobs would have you believe.

So we lost an old Frog in a stupid hat. So what, right?

wheelchairman
11-23-2006, 03:18 PM
So he's the French Steve Irwin?

0r4ng3
11-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Someone refresh my memory. Who's Philippe Noiret?

Duskygrin
11-23-2006, 03:25 PM
I don't know of any irwin. & my condolences about that job-loss, Per. Bah. Peugeot's nice, too, & it's French. Small comfort, I know.

Orange, wikipedia's good when your synapses snapped. & the photo I linked to ain't bad either to get an idea.

Venom Symbiote
11-23-2006, 03:39 PM
So he's the French Steve Irwin?

Pretty-much. Irwin was a twat, too.

JoY
11-23-2006, 03:39 PM
No, but French cinema hasn't got anything on American cinema, no matter what their film snobs would have you believe.

So we lost an old Frog in a stupid hat. So what, right?

have you ever even seen a French film? do you know anything about French cinema & the history of it? you continue speaking of things you don't know the first thing about. you seem to be quite the America fanatic, so seriously, pack your bags, move there & stop the fuck spreading ignorance like the plague. America is great & most definitely awesome in some aspects, but if you have absolutely nothing to compare America to, because there's simply nothing you know about anything else, you have absolutely no basis at all to make statements like these.

Duskygrin
11-23-2006, 03:43 PM
well, actually, Bella, I think he's making a pretty good case for French cinema. Apparently, he's seen one or two movies, most likely he didn't get a word & just gaped like a gormless aussie throughout, then at the end he just made up his mind out of pure resentment: french movies are lousy, & French ppl pretentious, posh & snob. Fair enough. It's not like french cinema is catering to the likes of him.

But you're right, Bella dear. In the case of Noiret, it's mostly humane, sober cinema, very touching. He doesn't know what he's talking about, as per usual. What news?

JoY
11-23-2006, 03:47 PM
it's nothing new, but it doesn't stop being annoying.

JoY
11-23-2006, 04:10 PM
I know I should probably refrain from replying to the douche, but hey, such is life. I can't shut my mouth in situations like these, I'm easily triggered. I was raised to become humble & modest. things don't always completely work out as they should, but generally I won't feel necessarily better than another person without extremely good reason. I can sense I'm different/disagree/see things differently, but I can't recall any situation in which I felt like I'm worth more, or like I'm better. there's always the knowledge in the back of my head that I don't know everything & whatever my sentiments are towards a subject, or a person, their basis is only as stable as the amount of what I know about it/him/her. on that basis it's very well possible to make any judgements, but when proven wrong, or unstable, I'm able to adjust & rationalise my previous views. someone who has no moral, intellectual, rational/reasonably problem with sticking to a judgement, proven to have an unstable basis/be incorrect, - & this part I hate most of all - does make me feel like I'm better. & in some messed up way that goes against the whole nature of my view. I'm still waiting for Venom to prove me wrong.

sweet dreams to you too, Maria.

Venom Symbiote
11-23-2006, 04:20 PM
have you ever even seen a French film? do you know anything about French cinema & the history of it?

I'm a film student. I've taken maybe 3 courses dedicated specifically to French and German cinema of the early century, and probably seen a good 50 or 60 French "classic" movies.

Pretty good for foreign-language exposure, I'd say.

Hollywood's my focus, but I've most definitely studied a lot of Western European and Asian cinema too.

JoY
11-23-2006, 04:37 PM
thank god. you judge about something you at least know something about for a change. sounds like an interesting study, by the way. I retract my earlier post in this case. *nods*

Revolver-2005?
11-23-2006, 07:10 PM
erm... noiret didn't act in dredd... nor in any hollywood flicks methinks... so yeah, he's no loss for Hollywood, but not all the great & good belong to hollywood

Oh I thought you were saying he was in Judge Dredd

Then I really don't care.

JohnnyNemesis
11-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Yeah, death. Crazy shit.

JoY
11-23-2006, 07:37 PM
*gigglez* <3

SkunkIt
11-24-2006, 02:00 AM
I guess I sort of liked Judge Dredd a bit...but it's not the biggest loss in Hollywood.

oioioioioioioioioioioioi
http://www.captainoi.com/images/covers/modskacd23.jpg

wheelchairman
11-24-2006, 02:12 AM
I don't know of any irwin. & my condolences about that job-loss, Per. Bah. Peugeot's nice, too, & it's French. Small comfort, I know.

Orange, wikipedia's good when your synapses snapped. & the photo I linked to ain't bad either to get an idea.

Steve Irwin was the Australian national icon who died recently, and Noiret is the French icon who died recently, however that is all they have in common, and it is nothing more than coincidence. It's just interesting.

I prefer Peugeot actually. It's 3 hours more of work, but it's less work.

Venom Symbiote
11-24-2006, 03:40 AM
Meh, according to the French all their movies are "classic". Beret-wearing snobs.

As for Irwin, Kurds and Pakis are better than him any day of the week.

the_GoDdEsS
11-24-2006, 03:57 AM
As for Irwin, Kurds and Pakis are better than him any day of the week.

In what way exactly?

Venom Symbiote
11-24-2006, 04:06 AM
They're...not...Steve Irwin? Isn't that reason enough?

the_GoDdEsS
11-24-2006, 04:08 AM
No, it isn't. What do you have against him anyway?

darea
11-24-2006, 07:15 AM
He was actually a boring character and maybe only the older people actually liked him, but a good actor that we have got in france is Vincent Cassel:)

Amiralanal
11-24-2006, 09:33 AM
oh no!!!!
who is he?

darea
11-24-2006, 09:35 AM
he's really so-so. his only fame comes from Monica Bellucci. If you wanna speak about crazily gifted crazily handsome actors then talk about Benoît Magimel (or Alain Delon, LUI)

vincent cassel was famous before monica bellucci, hes a good actor you might not like him, but he has done good movies, and his brother is an awesome rapper

benoit magimel is quite handsome but not crazily handsome

darea
11-24-2006, 09:58 AM
well good for you, and bad for phillipe noiret's fans, but I thought he was already dead....

T-6005
11-24-2006, 10:13 AM
Alain Delon is good - I don't mind Vincent Cassel, but I find Monica Bellucci to be the clearly superior of the two of them.

I tend to prefer watching French comedies more than any of our other movies, to be honest. On occasion I can slide a more serious movie in, but it's rare that I'll continuously want to watch serious movies.

darea
11-24-2006, 10:20 AM
by the way it was vincent cassel's birthday yesterday... not that anybody cares lol

Venom Symbiote
11-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Bellucci is a fucking babe.

Venom Symbiote
11-25-2006, 04:01 AM
Enfer non, mon ami.

Venom Symbiote
11-25-2006, 04:31 AM
I quickly Googled it.

You can't expect me to put effort into my mocking of you and your nation, I'm not exactly going to focus my attention on actually learning some amphibian to communicate in your comfort-zone.

But hey, if quick net translastions "enrage" a Frenchy, I guess it's mission accomplished. *pats self on back, smirks*

darea
11-25-2006, 07:45 AM
I quickly Googled it.

You can't expect me to put effort into my mocking of you and your nation, I'm not exactly going to focus my attention on actually learning some amphibian to communicate in your comfort-zone.

But hey, if quick net translastions "enrage" a Frenchy, I guess it's mission accomplished. *pats self on back, smirks*

Of duskygrin can speak english with no problem, I don't know if she is french or not, but if she is french and can speak good english and you can barely write good french, well you should be ashamed of yourself even if you don't like the french language

Amiralanal
11-25-2006, 08:13 AM
who is he?

Amiralanal
11-25-2006, 10:27 AM
Amiralanal, who's who? Are you talking about Vincent Cassel, Alain Delon, or Benoît Magimel?[/I]

Philippe noiret who according to this threads title is dead.
who is he?

Amiralanal
11-25-2006, 11:20 AM
ok sorry...

Not Ozymandias
11-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Fair warning: the first person to praise Jacques Tati will get a broken broom-handle rectally inserted.

Venom Symbiote
11-25-2006, 04:53 PM
And I do not believe that French could be one of your accomplishments. If after seeing "50 or 60 classic french flicks" you're still unable to comprehend that feminine nouns generally take an "e"... there's not much anybody can do for you. Good luck at life.

How do you figure? :confused: The study is on the films themselves; narrative structure, production values, cinematography and mise-en-scene. Not the French language - there's no attention paid to that, and that's why there are subtitles.

I missed the part where I apparently said I was a linguistics student and not a film one. :rolleyes:

And dammit, Darea, do you not read? Like I said: Googled the English phrase and clicked, telling it to give it to me in French. Blame "t3h intr@w3bs", not me.

JoY
11-25-2006, 05:05 PM
hahahaha!!
forgive me, I can't help but giggle at the thought of Venom pronouncing the term "mise-en-scène". it's funny, because you mock French cinema, yet you can't deny the impact of it in film history.

mise-en-scène, lolz.

Venom Symbiote
11-25-2006, 05:07 PM
it's funny, because you mock French cinema, yet you can't deny the impact of it in film history.

When did I deny it?

Now you're just pulling things out of your ass.

JoY
11-25-2006, 05:12 PM
now you're just twisting my words. I said you mock French cinema.

looks like I've hit a sensitive snare. that's like "Enfer non", but then it's a Dutch expression directly translated to English.

Venom Symbiote
11-25-2006, 05:19 PM
Nnnoooo.

Not a sensitive snare at all. You implied I didn't think French cinema had any impact. Not true at all.

What I did imply is, the French filmmaking/viewing community are snobby elitist fucks who automatically assume anything that comes out of Hollywood is inferior to their traditional small-scale European sensibilities.

Which is pretty-much bullshit. Hollywood is still the leader of innovation and progress in this industry, no ifs or buts about it.

NOTE: By "Hollywood" I'm including Sundance independent films and such, since while not produced by major studios they're still essentially a training ground for future Hollywood mainstream directors. I'm not talking fucking Michael Bay, here, so don't even try to take a shot at that.

Oh, and Dusky, that post was not only completely random and pointless, aren't you just stooping to my apparently-vulgar level? I thought you French folks were "above" that, like you seemingly think you're "above" everyone in everything else.

Venom Symbiote
11-25-2006, 05:26 PM
"Cultural exceptionalism" - point in case, woman. Point in case.

JoY
11-25-2006, 05:26 PM
I implied nothing, you arrogant sack of shit. I was pointing out the utter fucking irony.

JoY
11-25-2006, 05:32 PM
that's alright. I'm Dutch & don't need to be graceful, or elegant.

Venom Symbiote
11-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Where's the irony?

That term has been used in English scholarly pursuits since the fucking '30s.

They adopted it and expanded on it. So fucking what? Language evolves.

Oh, wait, except French. They're too good for change, apparently.

There is no irony there whatsoever, Dutchy. None.

JoY
11-25-2006, 05:41 PM
this has nothing to do with language evolving. "mise-en-scène" is strictly seeing not English, so it being adopted is not English evolving. it's a French term you adopted, when there are plenty of ways to say it in English. "setting in scene", or just "the setting" would work. it directly emphasises the impact French film history has on current cinema all over the world.

you mock French cinema.. yet can't deny the impact it has.

that's irony. if you can't see it, you indeed prove yourself to be a poor linguistics student, movie boy.

Venom Symbiote
11-25-2006, 05:46 PM

This is all insane. For one, "mise-en-scene", at least in the international sense of the word, does not refer to a director. It refers to the composition of the shot, everything entailed on the screen within the "viewfinder" of the lense. All purposefully and meticulously chosen for the purpose of a "feeling" within the film.

And Duskygrin, you say that like American cinema has nothing to do with "art or culture". You're wrong.

And what's with calling me "Bruce"? :confused: Seriously missing the reference there.

mrconeman
11-25-2006, 06:03 PM
I study Media in school, It's true "mise-en-scene" is a media term, it may not mean the same as a direct translation from French to English, but such is the way of the world.
It's pretty much everything in the scene that's put there for a reason, but that's been pointed out already.

JoY
11-25-2006, 06:04 PM
mrconeman, we're all aware "mise-en-scène" is a media term, we're not arguing that.

Venom: no, "metteur en scène" refers to a director. "mise en scène" refers to the setting in scene in total, or well, the setting. you're acting like "total setting of a scene" doesn't capture it, but it does. & even if it didn't, it'd still confirm the impact of French cinema in world wide cinema, which is the entire point in this case.

sure, American cinema does have to do with their concept of art & their culture. maybe you somewhere along the way of your fantastic education missed the fact that the French look on art & culture is quite different.

either way, you're very well aware this isn't about "mise-en-scène". it's about your unending arrogance. don't act surprised.

Edit: nothing I said hadn't already been said by Maria. it was to be expected. I'm never quick this time of the day.