PDA

View Full Version : Are you tone deaf? find out.

mrconeman
11-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Two things first.
1. I'm not sure if this is in the right section...I guess it could go into your bands or something with the rest of the musical stuff, if mods wanna move it, go right ahead.
2. I'm not sure of the accuracy of this test, but it's interesting non the less, I'm sure musicians will find special interest in it.

http://jakemandell.com/tonedeaf/
I got 80.6% Correct
I'm very happy with that, what with what it says at the start :)

JoY
11-23-2006, 05:31 PM
I'm pretty tired, cold & hung over (it's late & I didn't sleep last night, as every wednesday night), but I can't be disappointed about my score. 97.2%.

I can't believe I took the patience to take this test at this kind of hour.

mrconeman
11-23-2006, 05:39 PM
That's interesting (and great score btw). I'm seeing a pattern forming, I stole this from another forum, it seems the musicians that have been playing for the longest times (I know you've played violin for about a million years and some piano) score better...which is kind of obvious I guess, with your ear getting better with experience, but an interesting correlation.
The highest on the other forum was 95% so far, from a really good guitarist.

Lizardus
11-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Tipe louder, i can't hear you!

All About Eve
11-23-2006, 06:36 PM
I got through five, but coughed during every one. No way I can do it this sick with only hearing half. I'll try later.

JoY
11-23-2006, 06:39 PM
That's interesting (and great score btw). I'm seeing a pattern forming, I stole this from another forum, it seems the musicians that have been playing for the longest times (I know you've played violin for about a million years and some piano) score better...which is kind of obvious I guess, with your ear getting better with experience, but an interesting correlation.
The highest on the other forum was 95% so far, from a really good guitarist.

I don't know if this test "scientifically" seeing really works. as I apparently made a mistake & am pretty good at hearing-remembering-reproducing sounds (it's basically my only skill & I probably developed it, because I was too lazy to read music & take lessons, so that's more something to be ashamed for), I'd say this test isn't half bad & is also pretty challenging at times. there were a couple of moments that I did have to wake myself up (I'm just very drowsy at the moment) to pay attention, knowing I didn't pay enough attention the first time to hear every nuance. I was just curious at first & didn't expect a perfect score, but after getting 97.2 I did wonder where/when I'd made the mistake (dirty perfectionist lolz). taking the test went pretty automatically & easily. I wonder what happens if I take the test again. theoretically I should do better? because the sounds should become more familliar, right? if the test's valid & tests what it's made for, I suppose should do better a second time.

playing an instrument for as long as for instance I have (not to brag at all, because it's nothing to brag about. just objectively seeing the period of time I've been playing the violin) is probably bound to train your ears & certain areas for memory to a certain degree, no matter if you either suck at it, or play on a seriously high level. if you say you can spot a pattern, it would suggest that for auditory memory this test is pretty valid. interesting indeed. [!]

that you know this about me is pretty observant of you, by the way! I know I probably have mentioned it many times, especially in topics about instruments/playing instruments in Your Band & all that kind of stuff you also visit, but still the fact that you'd remember it positively surprises me. :]

All About Eve
11-23-2006, 06:42 PM
It makes sense, also, because learning an instrument requires endless amounts of... well, repetition. For every peice you learn, your goal is to get to where you can play it perfectly, and if you don't, that you know exactly where you made a mistake so you can correct it. It makes sense that pinpointing these differences would be easier for a long time musician.

JoY
11-23-2006, 06:51 PM
yes. but not every musician listens to him-/herself & is critical towards her/his own playing. sorry to say & maybe this is slightly arrogant (or very, you may decide).. but that's rather annoying. if it doesn't sound right, you find out what you do wrong & correct it, right? it's so incredibly logical. I understand not everyone can pinpoint every nuance in music, I can't either. but when you play something, you have a certain idea in mind of how you want it to sound. if reality & that idea don't match, you do something about it. not too many people understand this concept & it's pretty frustrating. especially if you were hired to teach someone like that.

so basically, if you ask me, it doesn't take too much repetition. just observing how it's supposed to be played & saving that in your memory. you just play what's in your head, what you want to play, how you want to play it, & if you don't, you fix it immediately on the spot. if you can't fix it, because you don't have the skills, you develop those immediately & then repetition comes in. you have to listen, hear & remember what it is you want to play & then listen, hear & remember what it is you play. if people don't carefully & critically listen to themselves, you can play the same as many times as you want, but eventually you still won't get it right.

All About Eve
11-23-2006, 06:54 PM
I think I said 'musician' somewhere in my post. People who don't strive to do their best and correct their mistakes in music aren't true musicians.

JoY
11-23-2006, 07:01 PM
but the amazing thing is.. (ignore the fact I'm stupid on this subject) some people don't HEAR it & I always get irritated, because to me that means they don't listen. then they tell me they do & I just don't get it.

All About Eve
11-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Maybe they're not listening in the right way for the right thing? Or maybe to them their way IS the right way; they may need to hear the right way at the same time or back to back with theirs

HeadAroundU
11-23-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm not gonna lie like others, 67% at first, second time 58 %. lol?
Tommorow again because I'm tired. Hopefully, I don't get deaf across the night.

mrconeman
11-23-2006, 07:20 PM
I don't know if this test "scientifically" seeing really works. as I apparently made a mistake & am pretty good at hearing-remembering-reproducing sounds (it's basically my only skill & I probably developed it, because I was too lazy to read music & take lessons, so that's more something to be ashamed for), I'd say this test isn't half bad & is also pretty challenging at times. there were a couple of moments that I did have to wake myself up (I'm just very drowsy at the moment) to pay attention, knowing I didn't pay enough attention the first time to hear every nuance. I was just curious at first & didn't expect a perfect score, but after getting 97.2 I did wonder where/when I'd made the mistake (dirty perfectionist lolz). taking the test went pretty automatically & easily. I wonder what happens if I take the test again. theoretically I should do better? because the sounds should become more familliar, right? if the test's valid & tests what it's made for, I suppose should do better a second time.

playing an instrument for as long as for instance I have (not to brag at all, because it's nothing to brag about. just objectively seeing the period of time I've been playing the violin) is probably bound to train your ears & certain areas for memory to a certain degree, no matter if you either suck at it, or play on a seriously high level. if you say you can spot a pattern, it would suggest that for auditory memory this test is pretty valid. interesting indeed. [!]

that you know this about me is pretty observant of you, by the way! I know I probably have mentioned it many times, especially in topics about instruments/playing instruments in Your Band & all that kind of stuff you also visit, but still the fact that you'd remember it positively surprises me. :]

I don't wanna take it again...I duno, it feels like cheating the first result, I made it as fair as I could, got my volume up a little, closed my eyes when listening, concentrated etc, but I think I would do better on a second listen, having gotten used to some of the phrases.

It interests me to no end about training yourself like that over years, I'd love to have taken this test before I started playing guitar, and then every few years take similar tests or something, to see how much of my hearing is nature, and how much is nurture.

Also, I try to make an extra effort to remember the musicians of the bbs ;), though I've actually been on the bbs for years, I usually just read, I'm only starting to interact so much these days, I probably know alot about members who don't know I exist...I suddenly feel like a stalker.

I'm not gonna lie like others, 67% at first, second time 58 %. lol?
Tommorow again because I'm tired. Hopefully, I don't get deaf across the night.
Something tells me no one here has lied yet. I know I didn't

Sinister
11-23-2006, 07:25 PM
91.7, I'm impressed and proud.

HeadAroundU
11-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Something tells me that I'll hit 98% tomorrow. :D

JoY
11-23-2006, 07:31 PM
lying about something like this.. would be the lamest thing I've ever heard of. especially when you're sincerely interested in how well you can register differences & how your auditory memory is, which I imagine people are when taking a test like this.

I didn't do that test sound-thing. I saw you could test if the volume was up & stuff, but I pressed the wrong button & immediately started the test. like I said; drowwwssy (not to mention blonde). then I began, was clumsy with the volume for a while (because it's 3:25 AM here & everyone's sleeping, so I'm trying not to wake up my roommates), stared at the screen a little bit while listening & as soon as I recognised a different tone, I hit the red button. so it didn't take a lot of time all in all & it was a pretty fun test to take.

when going to the message board (there's a link somewhere on that site) I see a lot of trained musicians (at least, that's what they say), who didn't score very high & a lot of pretty bouncy, teeny people, who say they got over 95% the first try. I don't know. like I said, it went pretty automatically & easily when I took it, maybe also because I'm tired & am functioning on automatic pilot now either way. but I imagine this test being pretty challenging & difficult. some melodies were absolutely unlogical & hard to listen to & register even the first time.

All About Eve
11-23-2006, 07:37 PM
It's the sort of thing where you just... know... if it's right or not. I'm gonna try now, I'm not coughing anymore.

JoY
11-23-2006, 07:43 PM
I suppose you're very right about that.

I read comments though, (also from people with rather high scores apparently) that people could register differences in the melody, without knowing which tone it was exactly, that was different. that definitely surprised me. seeing I hit the red button immediately after hearing a note lower/higher than I heard in the previous sample, I know I based it on pinpointing which note it was that was different & also if it was higher, or lower. a few melodies were seriously unlogical, like I said, & pretty hard to register the first time. at least, I couldn't make a logical melody of a couple of samples. so how do you hear the difference then, if you can't pinpoint which note exactly was different?

All About Eve
11-23-2006, 07:47 PM
I did worse than I expceted, 77.8%. I'm not trying to make excuses, but I think my sister (who's playing music very loudly and barged in on a few) and my stopped up ears messed me up. The way I did it, was I listened, and generally I could either pinpoint a difference or not, but on a few they seemed different even though I couldn't pinpoint one. I think it was the faster ones. For those I'd go back and try to remember the places it seemed off and go from there.

I also noticed that the instruments I'm used to, piano and guitar, were the easiest to tell.

mrconeman
11-23-2006, 07:54 PM
I also noticed that the instruments I'm used to, piano and guitar, were the easiest to tell.
Oh definatly agreed. I listen to alot of music from video games so I'm used to synth stuff, and I play guitar, I found those easy.
There was some weird phrases in there though, I was thrown off a few times just from a lack of concentration I think, when I heard it the second time and imagined something was different or something.

JoY
11-23-2006, 08:03 PM
mrconeman; about the subject of training your ears for this kind of stuff:
I think when the potential is there, you can develop & train auditory memory & improve like crazy. most things used to destract me when I was little, but some things caught my attention like they were hypnotic. I can't devide my attention very well & I tend to hyperfocuss, or remember things that are completely irrelevant to me, or be completely unaware of signals that are relevant to me. when I was 2 I wanted to play the violin, because my older brother did & when I was 4 my parents finally let me. the first thing I did after learning how to play a bit, was immitating my older brother & playing whatever he was playing. he's the one of us two, who is just fabulous at math, chemistry, physics & those kind of things & I was the one who always got great grades in languages. he quit playing the violin, when he was 11/12 (I was 6 then), because it just really isn't his thing.

Edit: this all is besides the whole test. just babbling now we're talking about the subject.

T-6005
11-23-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm a little drunk and hit 80.6%. I don't think the drink made much difference, if any. I didn't find it that hard if I can get an 80.6%, since I consider myself to have far from a developed ear.

EDIT - I found that the easiest way to tell the difference was to register at which points melodies sounded discordant, and comparing those to the second thing played.

Ryder1234
11-23-2006, 09:27 PM
i got 72.2%, and it said somthing about me being in the 35 percentibal or somthing

Llamas
11-24-2006, 01:01 AM
but the amazing thing is.. (ignore the fact I'm stupid on this subject) some people don't HEAR it & I always get irritated, because to me that means they don't listen. then they tell me they do & I just don't get it.

I'm gonna go a bit off topic about this... different instruments are a lot hard to play in tune. Honestly, the hardest are wind instruments. The problem is that, when you play a wind instrument, what you're hearing is internal. It's like how you hear your voice differently than it actually sounds to other people. The same thing happens with wind instruments. I don't know if any of the people you've witnessed this with are wind players, but if they are, you gotta keep that in mind.

On that note, I haven't taken the test yet. However, the instrument(s) I've played all my life have been wind instruments, so I know that I tune internally and have problems with tuning things like guitars and such. I'll take it sometime when I have more time, but I'm not expecting too good of a score.

wheelchairman
11-24-2006, 03:02 AM
Well I know I am completely tonedeaf, and this test proves it.

I got 50.0% correct.

the_GoDdEsS
11-24-2006, 03:14 AM
75%?? Very good? And on the first few one of my speakers died, hahaha. I'll try again with headphones. Still wow, I thought I was deaf and not musically talented but it did not seem that hard.

SkunkIt
11-24-2006, 03:33 AM
I got 56 something % because I kept forgetting the way the music went. I should try when I'm actually fully awake and able to think without constantly forgetting stuff within seconds.

Duskygrin
11-24-2006, 03:44 AM
92% I'm getting more deaf by the day

This test is too long, I ran out of patience at the end...

random observations:

- the organ prolonged notes sounded most pleasing to my ears (clockwork orange, yay) wish they had played more of it
- cannot believe thay played the C major eighth twice & asked if it was similar
- this test plays too short melodies to really tackle memory. I know my memory is very bad so it's not compatible with the scores. Or perhaps this test is intended for ppl with no musical background?
- the funny part were the squeaky notes (must be xylophone I guess, well some electronic rendering of it)

MORE ORGAN!!!!

JoY
11-24-2006, 04:56 AM
I'm gonna go a bit off topic about this... different instruments are a lot hard to play in tune. Honestly, the hardest are wind instruments. The problem is that, when you play a wind instrument, what you're hearing is internal. It's like how you hear your voice differently than it actually sounds to other people. The same thing happens with wind instruments. I don't know if any of the people you've witnessed this with are wind players, but if they are, you gotta keep that in mind.

On that note, I haven't taken the test yet. However, the instrument(s) I've played all my life have been wind instruments, so I know that I tune internally and have problems with tuning things like guitars and such. I'll take it sometime when I have more time, but I'm not expecting too good of a score.

the times I tried to play a wind instrument, it did sound different than when I heard someone else produce sound with it. I don't know what you base the internal hearing-thing on, but whichever instrument you play, you produce a sound, that you yourself can also hear. you're right about the voice-thing. I do hear my voice differently. but it's the sound of it that sounds different in recordings, not the notes/tones. it's possible to sing in tune as well, right? if you can play in tune & are able to discriminate different frequences of different tones, you can sing in tune.

your ears register any sound you produce, wherever it comes from. the closer it is to your own ears, the bigger the difference will be between the kind of sound you hear & the kind of sound everybody else on a greater distance will hear. I hear the sound of my own violin differently too, because you're pretty much resting your ear on the thing while playing. but that still has little to do with playing in tune, because internally, externally, no matter what you hear, you hear the frequence of any produced sound.

I wasn't talking about wind instruments either way, although I know a girl who plays the clarinet, who sometimes plays so incredibly out of tune, I wonder if she even listens to what she's playing, because it's absolutely fucking horrible at times. if it wouldn't be possible to discriminate different frequences with a wind instrument, I'd order a rocket, toss every single one of them in & sent it straight into space. because that'd mean every single person playing any wind instrument is unable to hear & recognise if he/she is playing in, or out of tune. your ear picks up on frequences, so yeah.. internally, externally, I don't really see what difference it should make. either way you'll still produce a sound your ear can pick up on. it's not like an imaginary internal voice in your head, singing out of tune.

but I was mostly talking about violinists in this case.

Tizzalicious
11-24-2006, 05:34 AM
Well I know I am completely tonedeaf, and this test proves it.

I got 50.0% correct.

I was just about to say, if this test says Per isn't tonedeaf, I don't trust it.

But there you go. Now I'll take it myself, it'll probably be even worse.

Tizzalicious
11-24-2006, 05:41 AM
63.9% Correct

Hey, at least it beats Per's.

JoY
11-24-2006, 06:03 AM
I want to know what Dave's, The Talking Pie, score would be if he'd take the test, because I know his hearing is pretty accurate when it comes to music.

HeadAroundU
11-24-2006, 04:14 PM
So I took it again. 67%, like yesterday. Let's round it to 70% which is normal. :rolleyes:
I'm happy with my result because I think it's a really difficult test. Oh, and I loved some tunes!!

NDM1
11-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Threadstarter: I saw this over at harmony central also and took it a couple nights ago, i think i got somewhere aroudn an 83.3%? But yeah I sort of regarded this as a half tone test half short term memory test. Somehow it thought i would do a little better tho.

All About Eve
11-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Joy: Completely agreed with the tone thing. My voice is a lot different on recordings, but it's always the exact pitch I think it is. Guitar doesn't have that problem, since you're using an amp, or even for an acoustic it's not right next to your ear.

WebDudette
11-24-2006, 10:26 PM
69.8% or something like that.

GreenTerror
11-24-2006, 11:05 PM
Normal, I guess.

T-6005
11-24-2006, 11:13 PM
I didn't think this test was all that hard. No one's gotten under a 50% so far, therefore it can't possibly be too difficult.

H1T_That
11-25-2006, 03:36 AM
61.1%, got pretty bored and switched off towards the end. Were some pretty funky tunes though.

Idiot
11-25-2006, 04:39 AM
I got 80.6% Correct. Not bad, considering I'm a drummer :D

wheelchairman
11-25-2006, 05:26 AM
I didn't think this test was all that hard. No one's gotten under a 50% so far, therefore it can't possibly be too difficult.

Theoretically if you get under 50% you are just unlucky. I mean I could've randomly guessed for all it was worth.

I think the guy must be a mediocre musician, and that the really good scores would be around Bella's. Everyone else is just ego-boost wanking.

That_Guy91
11-25-2006, 05:37 AM
77.8% I giggled when I heard tympani because my friend plays them at school.

the_GoDdEsS
11-25-2006, 05:51 AM
Hrm, second try with proper sound was 80.6%. I guess I'm not as bad as I used to think I am. I guess it's still useless to me but funny to know nevertheless.

NDM1
11-26-2006, 01:49 PM
I think the guy must be a mediocre musician, and that the really good scores would be around Bella's. Everyone else is just ego-boost wanking.

I don't think getting a high score on this test necessarily means that you are a great musician or vice versa. I find it was more of a short term memory test if anything, but there is still a musical take on it.

HeadAroundU
11-26-2006, 02:12 PM
Fag questions:
How can you call this a tonedeaf test? It seems to test musical memory.

It is impossible to test just pitch perception without using some sort of musical memory. Research has shown that people with tonedeafness do not have musical memory deficits, but rather pitch perception deficits. However, I agree that some of the very long phrases are taxing to remember.

Thomas
11-26-2006, 02:14 PM
I got 72.2%. Sounds about right. (no pun intended)

nightvision
11-26-2006, 02:38 PM
58.3% and I've been playing bass for some years now... Now I know why I'm not that good at it.

Llamas
11-26-2006, 07:10 PM
I finally was able to take this test. It was not a good test. Several people here said that it tests your ability to remember musical phrases better than tuning. That is exactly true. I got A's in my aural skills/sight singing/ear training classes in college, but I got 70% on this test? I'm not just saying it was bad because I didn't do well, either. However, I used to have to sit and listen to long musical phrases and write down on staff paper what chords were played in what inversions... so there's just no way I fall "average" on aural skills, haha.

JoY
11-27-2006, 12:02 PM
I don't think getting a high score on this test necessarily means that you are a great musician or vice versa. I find it was more of a short term memory test if anything, but there is still a musical take on it.

*shrugs* I think I can fairly say there's no one here who's been playing an instrument for a longer period of time, not only because I started at an insanely early age, but also because I'm becoming one of the older members. there is only one musical skill I possess & it's listening, remembering & reproducing. if I can sing it, I can play it. I'm not saying I should be the only one with such high score - llamas probably should've gotten one too, seeing what she said, but I'm saying it's logical I'd be good at this. I play in a gypsy orchestra, we have around 25 regular songs for concerts et cetera & there's not one single one of which I have the music on paper. never had it on paper either. I remembered most of the songs from a cd my dad & I listened to, when I was young.

Dave (The Talking Pie) should take this test. seriously.

Duskygrin
11-27-2006, 12:10 PM
I think I got an okay score, but it doesn't mean shit. I would have had the same score 5 years ago. I found it long & tedious, & not exactly melodious. All the ones crying out "I got a good score! I must be so musically skilled!" made me piss myself. Play an instrument, play it well, & then we'll see. The rest is bull & this was what? A random test on the net. You can't make it say more than it says.

no offense to zeconeman, I took the test & all. But that's it, I can't say I'm a musician afterwards. The correlation works only one way. If you're a musician it's impossible you should get a low score. On the other hand, you can get a high score & still be worth shit at any instrument. Playing is a matter of training, not testing "can you hear the difference between C & D in very short melodies played with 2 secs difference timing?" yeah anybody can, of course.

Mark_Bryan_420
11-27-2006, 12:39 PM
http://jakemandell.com/tonedeaf/
I got 80.6% Correct
Same here. I sing four part harmony anyway,like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2tt1cg1h_I&mode=related&search= Here's a brand new video with a touch of hippy music!

Llamas
11-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Joy, I'm 22 and have been involved with music since I was, I think 7 or 8.

mrconeman
11-27-2006, 02:19 PM
no offense to zeconeman
None taken. I was just glad to do well at something, at the risk of sounding cocky, I already know I'm a good enough musician not to need a test to tell me so.

Jojan
11-27-2006, 02:21 PM
I got 88,9%. That's pretty good. I wonder what The Offspring would get.

Duskygrin
11-27-2006, 02:24 PM
None taken. I was just glad to do well at something, at the risk of sounding cocky, I already know I'm a good enough musician not to need a test to tell me so.

that's exactly the spirit. & well-phrased.

JoY
11-27-2006, 04:11 PM
I agree with you, Maria.

llamas, I'm not here to compete.

Llamas
11-27-2006, 04:53 PM
I wasn't trying to compete. I was comparing.

JoY
11-29-2006, 01:53 AM
sorry, that was a cranky remark from my part. I didn't mean it that way. I just don't see the use in mentioning for how long exactly I've been involved with music. it's only going to make me sound very, very geeky. not to mention at the risk of sounding cocky.

I'll tell you about it, though, if you're interested.
my liking for music started at a rather early age. all that could calm me down as a baby was music. my brother played the violin & I knew the songs he played by heart. when I was two, I wanted to play the violin as well. I kept whining for a violin, until my parents thought it was unnatural & brought me to a psychiatrist for children. he did some musical tests on me, was enthousiastic about the results & advised my parents to wait for a little bit to see if I would persist in nagging for a violin. I did & I got my first violin & violinlessons for my fourth birthday.

Edit; I decided to go with a short cut.