PDA

View Full Version : RBF gets ripped off by record label

DeAtHsTaR
11-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Hey friends!
So Jive records (our former label) is putting out an RBF greatest hits CD because they see how well our live album is doing and they pretty much just want to screw us any way they can!
they see that there's still money to be made from the Reel Big Fish so they are trying to get a last little piece!
There's really nothing we can do to stop them since they own ALL our previous recordings!
Anyway, tell all your friends NOT to buy the new greatest hit CD, it's really not that cool, it's just stuff from our 4 studio albums that you ALREADY have (you do have all the RBF albums right!?)!!
and if you do decide to pick it up, we still love ya, as long as people are enjoying our music in some way or another ya know!? We're just glad to have people listening!

Oh and sorry about all those people trying to scam you using our name! that really pissed us off too!! we would never do that to ya!

thanks so much for supporting RBF, you guys rule!!

aaron b

I then wrote Aaron Barett about it, and this is his reply.

: well we were supposed to get royalties from "cheer up" and "we're not happy 'till you're not happy" but they always find a way to make you owe them more than they owe you! so we're not counting on it!

I say they should pull a Green Day and pull their records.

Endymion
11-23-2006, 08:54 PM
serves them right for signing away the rights to their music.

DeAtHsTaR
11-23-2006, 08:58 PM
I'm sure it seemed like a great idea when they signed it when ska was huge.

Venom Symbiote
11-23-2006, 09:49 PM
I say they should pull a Green Day and pull their records.

What do you mean "pull their records"? Excuse the ignorance, I just haven't really followed Green Day for a while.

And RBF has been getting screwed by Jive for years. It's nothing new.

DeAtHsTaR
11-23-2006, 09:59 PM
What do you mean "pull their records"? Excuse the ignorance, I just haven't really followed Green Day for a while.

Green Day pulled their early records from Lookout because they weren't getting royalties. Op Ivy did too.

Llamas
11-24-2006, 01:26 AM
serves them right for signing away the rights to their music.

yeah. seems like a great idea when you're money driven and aren't thinking like a sane person.

bouncingcoles
11-24-2006, 09:07 AM
thats business for ya

Revolver-2005?
11-24-2006, 09:47 AM
I'm seeing them live tomorrow...I honestly don't like them much though...I'm only going for Streetlight Manifesto and Suburban Legends...but it does serve them right for signing all their songs away.

nieh
11-24-2006, 04:48 PM
I'm seeing them again tomorrow night with a friend. They're seriously the most fun live band ever.

coke_a_holic
11-24-2006, 04:56 PM
I'm seeing them on Sunday; I hope they don't play for so long again. They really can't hold that stage for an hour and a half as well as they think.

Translation: GIVE STREETLIGHT MANIFESTO MORE PLAY TIME! :(

DeAtHsTaR
11-24-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm seeing them on Sunday; I hope they don't play for so long again. They really can't hold that stage for an hour and a half as well as they think.

Haha, word. Too bad i never got to see them when they came to Portland...

Revolver-2005?
11-24-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm seeing them again tomorrow night with a friend. They're seriously the most fun live band ever.

Youre going to the Allentown show? Me too. I'm pretty much there for Streetlight though

nieh
11-24-2006, 05:19 PM

Actually I was disappointed last time when they only had an hour. I think they managed 90+ minutes pretty well the other two times I've seen them (I think the first time they were on for over 2 hours, it was the last night of the tour). I would like to see a longer Streetlight set though. I think it'll be longer now than it was last time because before it was 4 bands, 2 of which were co-headliners, and now it's just 3 bands and one headliner.

Youre going to the Allentown show? Me too. I'm pretty much there for Streetlight though

Yeah, my friend and I are driving our 2 hours to get there. I'm going mostly for Reel Big Fish. I wasn't completely thrilled with the Streetlight live performance a couple months ago even though I love their albums.

Revolver-2005?
11-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Yeah, my friend and I are driving our 2 hours to get there. I'm going mostly for Reel Big Fish. I wasn't completely thrilled with the Streetlight live performance a couple months ago even though I love their albums.

Damn 2 hours, I'm driving like 20-30 minutes. I hope their live show is good this time.

Venom Symbiote
11-24-2006, 09:59 PM
Anyway, that's pretty cool that you got a post reply from Aaron, Deathstar.

I talked to him for a while after the show here last year, cool guy. Heh, he made a point of buying me a beer because, I quote, "hey man, we have the same haircut". Randomly kinda funny.

coke_a_holic
11-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Josh: To be fair, I didn't know any RBF songs when I saw them except for "She Has a Girlfriend Now" and "Sell Out," so I couldn't really get into most of the songs.

The only cd I have by them now is "Turn off the Radio," but I'm still psyched because my 11 year old brother (and possible future BBSer) is coming with me to his first show. He almost came to Primus with me, but he was short on cash, so this'll be a pretty neat experience for him.

nieh
11-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Yeah, not knowing anything by a band can kind of kill the fun. Plus when the band you went to see has already played that kind of makes the rest of the night that much less interesting. You should listen to this (http://download.yousendit.com/01AB6C5C73E0473D). I was disappointed because they only played like...2 versions last I saw them.

coke_a_holic
11-24-2006, 10:27 PM
SR was one of the highlights at the show and one of the reasons I made sure to get Turn the Radio Off! We got too many versions, though, eventually the charm wore through. They played it at least 6 times here.

Revolver-2005?
11-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Well I went to the show, it was awesome being right in the front, but the place was so over crowded. When RBF came out my friend and I pretty much left.

Apathy
11-28-2006, 02:20 PM
I didn't even stay for RBF at my show. I didn't know them at the time, Towards the beginning of last summer.

Venom Symbiote
11-28-2006, 03:17 PM
You suck. :P

But heh, sounds like me with Goldfinger. Big ska show, RBF/Goldfinger headlining, I expected RBF to be playing last. That wasn't the case, they played straight after the opening band. "Fuck you, Goldfinger. I'm outta here."

Apathy
11-28-2006, 07:01 PM
haha, well I definitely would have stayed if I had went again in the recent past. Back then though I had just assumed they were another generic, boring, Pop-punk + Horns band (Which, I guess I consider they are other than one album.)

New Goldfinger absolutely horrendus, by the way. Some of their eariler albums are pretty good, it's a shame.