PDA

View Full Version : when you can't sleep

Anya82
11-24-2006, 04:20 AM
i have insomnia. It's fucking 4.18 am, and i just CAN'T sleep. I've been trying for hours.
People say that counting sheeps jumping over a fence helps.... bullshit!

what do you do when you can't sleep?
any advice?

GreenTerror
11-24-2006, 04:35 AM
I'll just stay up until I get tired enough to fall asleep (which sometimes ends up not being until about 8AM) but then I usually stay asleep all day and do it all over again.
Like right now.
It's 5:30 AM, but I woke up around 2PM. It's become a habit, I'm just lucky I have no reason to be awake during the day and my sleeping pattern doesn't matter when I'm abel to go to school whenever I feel like it.
Even when I know I need to be awake early for something important, I'll stay up ridiculously late and only get a few hours of sleep, which I am completely functional with. Caffeine helps with the lack of sleep though, but is partially the cause to my problem in the first place.

Edit: As for advice... What about sleeping medications? Or even Ny-Quil (stuff makes me wanna puke, personally, but some people find it useful)

the_GoDdEsS
11-24-2006, 05:19 AM
Tried reading?

darea
11-24-2006, 07:13 AM
or listening to music, watch videos...

JoY
11-24-2006, 07:52 AM
any screen stimulates the eyes. computering & watching television. computering is more active, because it simply takes more concentration; typing, thinking, actively talking about subjects on MSN, for instance. leaning back/lying down & watching a brainless program on tv obviously takes less brainactivity, but you still receive information you need to process. & what seems to have to do with it, is watching directly into a lightsource, when watching any screen. maybe it's that the intensity of the light messes with your serotonin/melatonin balances, your biologic inner clock. but either way, the activity of the eyes, when watching a screen, along with the activity of the brain to process the visual information, apparently keeps you awake longer. (so I've read multiple times & for me it's true)

a book does work a lot of the times. why/how I don't know, but for me it always works fantastically, except when I like a book so much, I get stuck in it. then I read till morning, if I have to. as long as I reach the ending.

Tizzalicious
11-24-2006, 07:53 AM
I usually try to read a little. I have a lot of sleeping problems though, and a lot of times it just doesn't work. Melatonin is my saviour. But even that doesn't always help.

Apathy
11-24-2006, 07:57 AM
I can't read a book to fall asleep. I'll get too interested and refuse to sleep until the book is finished.

Whenever I can't fall asleep I just put on a mellower cd. Sometimes it takes two or three, but It works.

mrconeman
11-24-2006, 08:07 AM
I usually use some kind of soft music, though alot of the time it actually ends up keeping me awake, I end up getting interested and tapping out rhythm's on my legs, or thinking in my head how the song is played.
Though it does work occasionally.

JoY
11-24-2006, 08:15 AM
Tizzy, seeing melatonin is made of serotonin >> when serotonin levels are too low, there's a greater chance of getting migraines.

something I just read, that reminded me of your aversion to milk;
"Tryptophan is an essential amino acid which means it is not produced by the body but rather must come strictly from the diet. There are eight essential amino acids and fourteen non-essential amino acids. The non-essential acids can be made inside the body from other components. Dietary sources of tryptophan include turkey and other meats, soy products, cottage cheese, milk, brown rice and peanuts."

tryptophan converts to serotonin in the brain & is the only source for serotonin (responsible for feelings of wellbeing, calmness, personal security, relaxation, confidence & concentration) & serotonin at its turn is the only source for melatonin (assisting in sleep). without serotonin it's also possible to develop things like axiety, insomnia, fatigue, low concentration & low self-esteem. (Serotonin Deficiency Syndrome)

so when going straight back to the source, it might be wise to eat more tryptophan consisting products, babe. :/

Tizzalicious
11-24-2006, 08:17 AM
I doubt that's the case, I eat all of that stuff.

JoY
11-24-2006, 08:19 AM
drat. I always hope to find a door leading to a solution to a problem, but in your case I just never fucking do. boo. maybe the uptake is fucked, though. in that case you could look into Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants, but that sounds like a slightly too drastic meassure for your problem. your sleeping pattern always appears to be fucked up, though.

Idiot
11-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Reading can be quite helpful, although I don't often read to be honest.

Listening to music is my preferred method, I listen to my mp3 player before I go to bed most nights anyway, even if I'm already tired.
So I'd suggest turning off the lights/dimming the lights, laying on your back and listening to some reasonably chill-out music - well, nothing energetic anyway. It can take some time before having an effect, but I usually find it doesn't take much longer than 30-45 mins before starting to feel a little tired.

emeraldoor
11-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Try to read..
Take a bath..
Play video games..

eventually I get tired and pass out..

kontaktas
11-24-2006, 12:15 PM
go fishing... smoking outside. anything. sneak someone... ;)

Bazza
11-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Your best bet is to try and watch tv, find something really boring and it'll eventually make you tired.

T-6005
11-24-2006, 01:29 PM
Sex or a sexual act.

JoY
11-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Reading can be quite helpful, although I don't often read to be honest.

Listening to music is my preferred method, I listen to my mp3 player before I go to bed most nights anyway, even if I'm already tired.
So I'd suggest turning off the lights/dimming the lights, laying on your back and listening to some reasonably chill-out music - well, nothing energetic anyway. It can take some time before having an effect, but I usually find it doesn't take much longer than 30-45 mins before starting to feel a little tired.

& this after taking a warm, long bath/shower (if you don't have a bath) couldn't work any better. music, or reading after a bath with the lights dimmed. sex sometimes works fine too, as T-6005, but not everyone gets sex whenever at any given time/place, when they want it.

Jakebert
11-24-2006, 02:15 PM
DVD commentaries. Seriously, it sounds weird, but it's what I do and it almost always works.

Vera
11-24-2006, 02:23 PM
DVD commentaries. Seriously, it sounds weird, but it's what I do and it almost always works.

Pffft, only bad DVD commentaries.

Stranger With Candy
11-24-2006, 02:32 PM
i got pills to help me sleep.

Idiot
11-24-2006, 02:34 PM
Sex or a sexual act.

I was wondering how long it would be until someone said this. But its true sometimes.

Linda
11-24-2006, 02:55 PM
I just curl up in bed and watch TV. It always puts me to sleep.
I've heard warm milk before bed will make you sleep too.
I've never tried that, tho, warm milk just doesn't sound very
good to me.

0r4ng3
11-24-2006, 02:56 PM
I tried warm milk once, then I remembered that I'm partially lactose intolerant. That was a fun night.

JoY
11-24-2006, 03:00 PM
I always used to drink warm milk before going to bed, especially when I was sick. my parents always were hopeful that it'd make me less hyper at the end of the evening. I don't recall it did, but I loved it though.

Idiot
11-24-2006, 03:00 PM
So what happened then?

Linda
11-24-2006, 03:01 PM
I've heard of lactose intollerancy, but what exactly does it do to you when
you drink milk or eat dairy products?

Vera
11-24-2006, 03:05 PM
I was wondering how long it would be until someone said this. But its true sometimes.

In my experience (and judging from talking to others), it's makes you sleep easier usually if you're male. For us fems it can make you more awake.

JoY
11-24-2006, 03:11 PM
*raises eyebrow* I'm apparently like a man. sex usually makes me drowsy. after sex, I like to kisskiss two or three minutes, have an arm wrapped around me, or wrap my arm around him & like any normal human being, I roll over & curl up after that to fall asleep. or well, you know spooning? I always "spoon" my boyfriend.

sometimes at night though, sex wakes me up, but in the mornings sex usually makes me sleepy. but I'm weird. *shrug*

0r4ng3
11-24-2006, 03:12 PM
I've heard of lactose intollerancy, but what exactly does it do to you when
you drink milk or eat dairy products?
Well, I have a very minor lactose intolerance. If I eat or drink too much dairy, I get nauseous.

Vera
11-24-2006, 03:15 PM
I suppose it could depend on physical participation... ;) How do you feel after masturbation? (OMG TMI!!1111)

Edit: This was directed at Bella, not Orange...

Idiot
11-24-2006, 03:19 PM
*raises eyebrow* I'm apparently like a man. sex usually makes me drowsy. after sex, I like to kisskiss two or three minutes, have an arm wrapped around me, or wrap my arm around him & like any normal human being, I roll over & curl up after that to fall asleep. or well, you know spooning? I always "spoon" my boyfriend.

My ex used to do that. Although I'm not sure what you mean by 'spooning'. :rolleyes:

Linda
Well, I have a very minor lactose intolerance. If I eat or drink too much dairy, I get nauseous.

Ohh, that wouldn't make for a very nice night.
So does that mean you can't eat anything that contains dairy products.
For example, mashed potatoes usually have a bit of milk in them. Or what about pizza? Would they make you sick too?

JoY
Sanni: ...drowsy? I think? it depends on the level of satisfaction, I think. when I've just had great sex, I guess that's when I become drowsy. *when it's been good to average, I'm hyperactive with sexual excitement & I'm either just fully awake, or I'm fully awake wanting more.

JoY
11-24-2006, 03:21 PM
My ex used to do that. Although I'm not sure what you mean by 'spooning'. :rolleyes:

when he curls up with his back towards you, you curl up behind him with your arms around him. don't ask me why, everyone keeps telling me it should be the other way around, but I seriously like it this way. the other way around too, but he can't sleep without turning to the other side & curling up. I don't expect him to stay awake & I can sleep that way, so I prefer to "spoon" him.

Idiot
11-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Ohhh yeah I see what you mean. Yeah, generally it is the other way round. But in some ways I'd like it be the other way round how you do it.

JoY
11-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Joe; aw yes.. *sigh* & giving him kisses on his back, rubbing my nose against it, pressing my cheek against it, sometimes teasing him... man, I hate it those nights alone. *grmbls*

Idiot
11-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Heh, bless. How often are you alone at night?

JoY
11-24-2006, 03:39 PM
I don't know. not too often. at most two to three times a week? although three nights alone in a week rarely ever occurs, except when he's on vacation, or whatever. maybe it's because I hardly ever sleep alone, that I suck at it so much.

oh man, I'm so entirely NOT in the position to whine. I know I have it good, I'm just particularly bad at being on my own overall. my appologies, it won't happen again. when it does, uh, ignore it.

Idiot
11-24-2006, 03:42 PM
Aw, how come you don't like being alone? Is it just loneliness or is it something else? Do you worry about stuff?

Or is it just that 'cosy, cuddled up and safe' feeling that you don't like being without? ;)

JoY
11-24-2006, 03:48 PM
the company of someone I appreciate, most certainly of him, I enjoy so much. I guess it's his prensence that makes me feel at ease. & that last thing definitely is part of the reason also, yes. plus, I'm one of those "thinker"-types. when alone, I tend to think in circles, which always leads to absolutely nothing, except chaos in my mind.

Idiot
11-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Hmm, I can be like that sometimes if I have too much time to myself.
I end up thinking negatively about lots of things.

JoY
11-24-2006, 04:45 PM
I try to draw a line there & push my thoughts in a more positive direction, but it doesn't always work. either way, you aren't allowed to think negatively. ;] let's both not & we'll be fine.

Idiot
11-24-2006, 06:23 PM
Ok then miss, its a deal. Next time we think negatively, agree to PM each other eh? Ha.

T-6005
11-24-2006, 06:35 PM
I was being totally serious, not making a joke - I was afraid people would take it as some immature joke. Sex always helps me sleep. And spooning is fun. Personally, I find it harder to sleep nights where there's no one else in my bed simply because I've gotten used to someone being there. Even though it's a tiny one-person bed. You can get used to anything, I suppose.

78 Water
11-24-2006, 06:37 PM
I usually stay up late because I can't fall asleep.

I remember last night, I fell asleep at 7 p.m. though, because we had the Thanksgiving meal at 3 p.m. It kinda threw us off. Also, turkey makes you tired.

I also plug my headphones into my TV and play The Simpsons Hit and Run.

Anya82
11-24-2006, 09:19 PM
thank you all.
I tried reading, but it didn't work, cause i try to understand what i'm reading, and, i can't concentrate at the same time... so... it doesn't work for me.

i watched informercials... didn't work this time.

i tried the DVD commentaries. It did work.

i got to sleep at 4.30 - 5 am, and i had to get up at 7.30am... yeah, it sucks.

Llamas
11-25-2006, 12:34 AM
I don't know how much you've tried outside of what you said in this thread... but I have horrible insomnia. After researching sleep and circadian rhythms quite a extensively, I've come to the conclusion that mental things don't help people like me. Basically, everyone has a different natural circadian rhythm... most people can adjust them to what society considers to be normal; I can't. After tests I've done on myself, my body wants to naturally sleep from around 7am until around 3pm.

I've tried everything. Drinking a little liquor, reading a boring book, going for a run, drinking tea, drinking warm milk, nyquil etc, etc, etc... I've seen a doctor and a counsellor about it twice each. I have prescribed medications, but the problem is that I need them to be really strong to work; because they're so strong to knock me out, I have an equally hard time waking up and I sleep forever. As result, I won't take the medication.

I don't really know what I'm trying to say. It's really just that, if you are able to, force yourself to adjust to a schedule. I find that, when I am working full time where I have to get up at the same time every single day, things are a lot better. If I let myself sleep late one day, though, I'm screwed. If necessary, stay up all night one night and then go to bed around 11pm the next night... get up early around 7am, and then force yourself to go to bed early again the next night. If you can do that, it's the best way to get yourself stabilized. Another thing that I did was a test. For a week, I alternated staying up all night one night, and then sleeping 12 hours the next. By friday, staying up all night was not going to happen (2 nights in one week is a lot of no sleep), but I learned that my body could fall into a pattern if I made it.

Basically, struggles with insomnia aren't as simply solved as watching informercials, reading, etc, when your problems are severe like mine (and like yours appears to be). Also, try to see if you can visit a doctor and a counsellor about it. I recommend seeing both, because they will give you very different ideas.

Good luck!

Sin Studly
11-25-2006, 01:06 AM
One word ; Serapax.

Llamas
11-25-2006, 01:17 AM
serapax is a mood alterer/anti depressant, though. Sure it relaxes your muscles, but the problem with insomnia for a lot of people, atleast for me, is not physical. It's my mind. I can have tired muscles and just want to lay down and pass out... but it's my brain that keeps going forever. A muscle relaxer will just make me feel more of how I already do and not make my mind tired. It might work for some people, though.

Rocky-girl
11-25-2006, 03:09 AM
I solve problems or think what I'll do tomorrow.

Idiot
11-25-2006, 03:22 AM
If anything, that keeps me more awake. Different for everyone though eh.

78 Water
11-25-2006, 06:16 AM
Yeah, if something's on my mind, I end up thinking about it all night and never getting to sleep.

Try getting some heavy excercise during the daytime, not right before bed. It helps tire you out and get back to sleep.

Idiot
11-25-2006, 08:17 AM
Have some hot chocolate :D

DexterWannabe
11-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Valium hu?

Revolver-2005?
11-25-2006, 09:08 AM
Masterbate.

HeadAroundU
11-25-2006, 09:17 AM
When you can't sleep, there's always a "Alternative ways to die?" thread.

Try breathing excercise:
1 second breath in/1 sec breath out, 2 sec breath in/2 sec breath out, ....., 5 second breath in/5 sec breath out.
12345432/12345432/12345432...........you are sleeping like a little baby........

0r4ng3
11-25-2006, 09:20 AM
When you can't sleep, count sheep. Do not count endangered animals, because you will run out.

HeadAroundU
11-25-2006, 09:28 AM
When you can't sleep, Anya, count whales or elephants in your case.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
11-25-2006, 09:43 AM
When you can't sleep, count sheep. Do not count endangered animals, because you will run out.

That's great.
--
When I can't sleep, I...

Drink dark grape juice
Drink anything period
Put on Live From Dakota by Stereophonics or Palm Trees and Powerlines by Sugarcult
Call friends and see if anyone is awake, by the time you hang up, you're tired
Do sit-ups
And you can't forget this (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=5AF416723BB92F27) track.

Tizzalicious
11-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Sex always wakes me up. It can screw up my entire rythm: Tired, go to bed, have sex, feel awake again, do some other stuff, go to bed again, have sex again, be awake again. It can last aaaaall night.

Tizzalicious
11-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Maybe it was my ex ;)

Sin Studly
11-25-2006, 12:08 PM
serapax is a mood alterer/anti depressant, though. Sure it relaxes your muscles, but the problem with insomnia for a lot of people, atleast for me, is not physical. It's my mind. I can have tired muscles and just want to lay down and pass out... but it's my brain that keeps going forever. A muscle relaxer will just make me feel more of how I already do and not make my mind tired. It might work for some people, though.

No, Serapax is a strong benzodiazepam hypnotic. Some benzos ; like Valium or Xanax are like you described. But others, like Temaz, are gentle hypnotic relaxants. Drugs like Serapax and Mogadon, on the other hand, are about as gentle as Ivan the Terrible and will knock you the fuck out.

JoY
11-25-2006, 12:58 PM
oooohh, we're talking Oxazepam??! erm, haha.. hahahaha. *giggles continuously*

we're talking benzodiazepines, babe. the least they do is relaxing your muscles. I think it's funny anyway, someone would think muscle relaxants necessarily relax the muscles by directly affecting only the muscles. it hardly ever works that way, or wait, no. it never works that way, as far as I can see.

Idiot
11-25-2006, 03:11 PM
It can last aaaaall night.

Just a shame WCM can't last all night eh? :rolleyes:

Revolver-2005?
11-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Coldplay is good for being put to sleep.

0r4ng3
11-26-2006, 10:51 AM
They're good for being put into a coma.

German Andres
11-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Coldplay is good for being put to sleep.

Je, you are right! Just as Keane...

Camilamazed
11-26-2006, 09:35 PM
I don't know what to suggest for I've never been through this. I've never had sleeping problems in my entire life.

sKratch
11-26-2006, 09:52 PM
They're good for being put into a coma.

quoted for holy fuck yes

Also, for the past few weeks I've had a lot of sleeping problems. I've been tossing and turning for about two hours or so when I need to get to sleep, and then I'll sleep through my first class. It's no good. I think it has to do with smoking and drinking on the weekends, and then being clean during the week. I dunno though.