PDA

View Full Version : USC Band

BustedKnuckles
11-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Any University of Southern Cal goers here? I'm currently watching the USC and Notre Dame game and I could swear the band was playing "The Kids Aren't Alright" during a challenge timeout. It sounded pretty cool to me. Can anyone verify this?

Little_Miss_1565
11-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Yup, the USC band does it a lot. There's a picture somewhere on the internet of Dexter marching at the head of the band while they play it.

I'm watching the game too! My sister was just on TV :) ND is getting their asses handed to them, but I guess USC wins the #10 vs #10 battle. Someone named John David Booty wins over Brady Quinn anyday.

Venom Symbiote
11-25-2006, 07:53 PM
They've done "Come Out And Play" and "Hit That" quite often, too.

Pretty sure some other Offspring songs too, since Dexter's an alumni and all.

Llamas
11-25-2006, 11:23 PM
A lot of college marching bands play shitty arrangements of offspring songs. When I was in the U of M band, we used to play Pretty Fly and Come Out and Play. Both arrangements sucked, but it's really common. The reason the arrangements suck so much usually, though, is because most marching bands don't have the money to ask each band they use a song from for permission. So, they have someone arrange it for the band and change enough rhythms and such so that it's completely legal to use, but still recognizable. If you see the sheet music, they usually mess with the song titles.

Little_Miss_1565
11-26-2006, 01:04 PM
A lot of college marching bands play shitty arrangements of offspring songs. When I was in the U of M band, we used to play Pretty Fly and Come Out and Play. Both arrangements sucked, but it's really common. The reason the arrangements suck so much usually, though, is because most marching bands don't have the money to ask each band they use a song from for permission. So, they have someone arrange it for the band and change enough rhythms and such so that it's completely legal to use, but still recognizable. If you see the sheet music, they usually mess with the song titles.

...except when the USC band does it, the arrangements are very good because they're sanctioned. Like Venom said, Dexter is a USC alumnus.