PDA

View Full Version : R.i.p. Tsol (1978-2006)

StayInTheHouseCarl
11-27-2006, 02:36 PM
http://punknews.org/article/21054#696761

such a damn shame...

also, did anyone else notice the large volume of bands that have recently left nitro? TSOL split, Bullet Train to Vegas, the START(moved to Metropolis Records), and the Letters Organize (who have also broken up)

Amiralanal
11-27-2006, 02:40 PM
dindt even know that they were active until today.

Venom Symbiote
11-27-2006, 03:23 PM
This is the biggest "oh shit" moment for me since Weezer broke up. :(

Fuck this. Fuck it fuckishly.

Kitten
11-27-2006, 03:37 PM
TSOL have not broken up, they have simply stopped touring for the moment. Since two members are moving away, it makes it hard to organize. As for recording, they will still record.
I predict there will be shows in the future, for fuck's sake, they had a 10 year gap (could be wrong on the time) between this time and the last time they got together for touring.

Lars
11-27-2006, 03:40 PM
I thought that article seemed a bit odd as I remembered something like what Kitten said.

Still makes it harder to see them live over here now. Stupid postponed/cancelled tour from that shooting.

opivy21
11-27-2006, 03:57 PM
I love T.S.O.L., but this isn't that awful. They've been around for a long time and they've already put out their best material.

Maybe I would care more if I lived somewhere that they would play, but since I'm stuck on the east coast, I doubt that I would ever get a chance to see them anyway.

Kitten
11-27-2006, 04:08 PM
They will still be putting out material, just not touring.

bouncingcoles
11-27-2006, 04:35 PM

im pretty sure weezer did not break up. they are on a hiatus. they will get back together. just like blink182

nameless
11-27-2006, 04:35 PM

weezer did release a statement saying that they hadnt broken up and were just taking time off!

bouncingcoles
11-27-2006, 04:37 PM
http://punknews.org/article/21054#696761

such a damn shame...

also, did anyone else notice the large volume of bands that have recently left nitro? TSOL split, Bullet Train to Vegas, the START(moved to Metropolis Records), and the Letters Organize (who have also broken up)

well thats quite unfortunate for nitro. prehaps the start and bullet train to vegas arent getting what they want on nitro

Venom Symbiote
11-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Weezer broke up.

Don't listen to Cuomo, he doesn't know what he's fucking talking about.

If Weezer releases anything else, it'll be GNR-style with a new lineup. Scott might stay. Not the other two though. Apparently they're through with it.

Oh well. Make Believe was balls, anyway.

Kitten
11-27-2006, 04:54 PM
well thats quite unfortunate for nitro. prehaps the start and bullet train to vegas arent getting what they want on nitro

Nitro still has a few awesomely talented bands on the label.

Venom Symbiote
11-27-2006, 05:20 PM
The Aquabats, Exene Cervenka, The Damned.

That's it. And only the former are "awesomely talented" rather than "pretty decent".

Nitro's pretty-much just filled with these new-age millienium-era bullshit bands like Rufio.

Llamas
11-27-2006, 05:36 PM
aquabats? awesomely talented? fun and goofy, yes...

opivy21
11-27-2006, 06:01 PM
The Aquabats, Exene Cervenka, The Damned.

That's it. And only the former are "awesomely talented" rather than "pretty decent".

Nitro's pretty-much just filled with these new-age millienium-era bullshit bands like Rufio.
I don't feel like looking it up, so I'll just ask you: Is Exene Cervenka the same Exene as from X?

Edit: Forget it, I looked it up. I never knew she had solo stuff. I'll have to listen sometime.

0r4ng3
11-27-2006, 06:43 PM
They will still be putting out material, just not touring.
I'd prefer it if that were the case, because I'm more likely to buy a CD than go to a concert.

Little_Miss_1565
11-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Wait a fucking second. theSTART went to fucking METROPOLIS? Seriously, what the fuck. First the Electric Six, now this. What is prompting these bands to move to what was previously a goth/industrial label--and a pretty hit-or-miss one at that.

aquabats? awesomely talented? fun and goofy, yes...

But they can PLAY.

Thomas
11-28-2006, 07:55 PM
im pretty sure weezer did not break up. they are on a hiatus. they will get back together. just like blink182

Blink broke up. They aren't getting back together. Tom doesn't even talk to Mark and Travis anymore.

Corpse
12-02-2006, 06:21 AM
Blink broke up. They aren't getting back together. Tom doesn't even talk to Mark and Travis anymore.

Tom's head is so far up his arse these days it is beyong belief.

Kitten
05-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Despite seemingly calling it quits in November of last year, veteran punk act T.S.O.L. has upgraded their status to "hiatus" from "done for good." The band made this announcement:

T.S.O.L has not broken up, they are just on a long break and will probably tour again coming end of summer early fall. In the meantime Jack will be playing shows with some good friends of his. The band is called " Jack Grisham and the West Coast Dukes" they will be playing some Joykiller T.S.O.L and Gentleman Jack songs

The band had fallen on difficult times in recent years due to a shooting that occurred while they were on stage in Hollywood in 2002. While T.S.O.L. was cleared in the court case they were left with a daunting bill from the attorney that prevented them from widespread touring. That period also resulted in the band's last album Divided We Stand.

T.S.O.L.'s 1981 gothic punk debut Dance With Me was recently reissued by Nitro Records. A retrospective release titled Who's Screwin' Who? surfaced in 2005.

That was posted on Punknews.org

Little_Miss_1565
05-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Bummer. But good that Jack isn't hanging it up.

And WHAAAAAA? that Nitro rerelased Dance with Me!!! I sometimes look at my cassette tape of it in my music collection and wonder if I'll ever get to listen to it again. And now I shall. HOT.

Kitten
05-12-2007, 07:09 AM
Jack never planned to hang it up, two other band members moving away made things hard is all.
As for the re-release, it's also remastered slightly.

Little_Miss_1565
05-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Sweet. I'd hope it would be remastered--everything from the 80's was mastered so much lower than now. I just did a quick spin around Amazon and didn't see it--is it out yet?

Kitten
05-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Sweet. I'd hope it would be remastered--everything from the 80's was mastered so much lower than now. I just did a quick spin around Amazon and didn't see it--is it out yet?

It is out. I think...

Interpunk (http://www.interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=139612&)

As for the sound quality, they haven't done much to it, but it sounds better than the original by a long shot.

opivy21
05-12-2007, 07:11 PM
I have it and it sounds good.

Kitten
05-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Di you buy the actual cd or download the tracks legally somewhere? I want to find a download link for the remastered album.

opivy21
05-12-2007, 08:47 PM
I got the cd.

Kitten
05-13-2007, 02:33 AM
The TSOL myspace has links to online stores that you can purchase the CD's from.
Most of them are interpunk, and they have a great reputation.

GBH2
05-13-2007, 08:41 AM
meh, i don't really care.

tsol is one of my favorite bands, but they were done when jack left the first time. while "disappear" and "divided we stand" were decent, they are absolutely nothing compared to "dance with me" and some stuff from their ealier EPs

Kitten
05-13-2007, 09:11 AM
meh, i don't really care.

tsol is one of my favorite bands, but they were done when jack left the first time. while "disappear" and "divided we stand" were decent, they are absolutely nothing compared to "dance with me" and some stuff from their ealier EPs

They have re-released Dance With Me, and it sounds way better than the original.