http://www.punkbands.com/index.php?id=20964

Tijs
11-28-2006, 04:10 PM
#05 Smash
#20 Americana

There's some weird stuff in that list.

Ninty Man
11-28-2006, 04:13 PM
1. Sex Pistols -- Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols (1977)

Not disagree
2. Green Day -- Dookie (1994)

WHAT THE FUCK?

3. Dead Kennedys -- Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables (1980)
4. Nirvana -- Nevermind (1991)
You fucking gotta be kidding... Nirvana it's not punk.. and sux
5. The Offspring -- Smash (1994)
6. Rancid -- ...And Out Come the Wolves (1995)
7. Discharge -- Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing (1982)
8. The Clash -- The Clash (1977)
9. The Damned -- Machine Gun Etiquette (1979)
10. Ramones -- Ramones (1976)
11. NOFX -- Punk in Drublic (1994)
12. Fugazi -- Repeater (1990)
13. The Clash -- London Calling (1979)
14. Blink-182 -- Enema of the State (1999)
BLINK IT'S EVEN PUNK?

15. The Stooges -- Fun House (1970)
16. Black Flag -- Damaged (1981)
17. Minor Threat -- Complete Discography (1989) [Compilation]
18. The Stooges -- Raw Power (1973)
19. The Undertones -- The Undertones (1979)
20. The Offspring -- Americana (1998)
Hold on a sec... why Ixnay on the hombre instead Americana or the overrated smash?

21. Bad Brains -- Rock for Light (1983)
22. Buzzcocks -- Love Bites (1978)
23. NOFX -- So Long and Thanks for All the Shoes (1997)
24. The Ruts -- The Crack (1979)
25. Crass -- Feeding of the 5000 (1978)
26. The Vandals -- Hitler Bad, Vandals Good (1998)
27. Operation Ivy -- Energy (1989)
28. Refused -- The Shape of Punk To Come (1998)
29. Rocket From the Crypt -- Scream Dracula, Scream! (1995)
30. The Exploited -- Punks Not Dead (1981)
31. Cro-Mags -- Age of Quarrel (1986)
32. Quicksand -- Manic Compression (1995)
33. The Descendents -- Milo Goes to College (1982)
34. Sublime -- Sublime (1996)
35. The Misfits -- Static Age [1978] (1997)
36. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones -- Let's Face It (1997)
37. Bad Religion -- Suffer (1988)
38. Less Than Jake -- Hello Rockview (1998)
39. Dwarves -- Are Young and Good Looking (1997)
40. Supersuckers -- The Evil Powers of Rock 'N' Roll (1999)
41. Social Distortion -- White Light White Heat White Trash (1996)
42. The Get Up Kids -- Something to Write Home About (1999)
43. Green Day -- Nimrod (1997)
Here must be Dookie... Nimrod??? come on

44. Will Haven -- El Diablo (1997)
45. Stiff Little Fingers -- Inflammable Material (1979)
46. Napalm Death -- Scum (1987)
47. A.F.I. -- Black Sails in the Sunset (1999)
48. Poison Idea -- Feel the Darkness (1990)
49. G.B.H. -- Leather, Bristles, Studs and Acne (1981) [EP]
50. Killing Joke -- Killing Joke (1980)

Tijs
11-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Ha, the list is 5 years old:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.music.clash/browse_thread/thread/55fe0299e3ec3417/70885fdde335223f

(Thanks to Ken for letting me know)

RonWelty
11-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Ha, the list is 5 years old:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.music.clash/browse_thread/thread/55fe0299e3ec3417/70885fdde335223f

(Thanks to Ken for letting me know)

sorry then dude , just appeared today @ punkbands.com ..

Nineteen Seventy Nine
11-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Sublime? Dookie? Nevermind?! Huh? London Calling wasn't really punk either. Good to see Black Sails, Suffer, and Smash on there though.

Smoky_Mc_Weed
11-28-2006, 05:08 PM
what the fuck? dookie #2? what kind of list is this? and blink is over the stooges, blink! is not even punk, and what the hell is doing nevermind there anyway?

Venom Symbiote
11-28-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm sure the "punk" list is including pop-punk, too.

After all, you have Smash and Americana there. No more punk than Blink.

DISCLAIMER: I fucking hate Blink 182, so don't bitch at me. It's just that era of the band was no more pop than Dex and the guys are now.

JohnnyNemesis
11-28-2006, 05:31 PM
-I hate Blink-182, but they're punk too, so get over it, people.
-Dookie should NOT be so high on that list.
-Smash shouldn't be so high on that list either, but I love that album so it doesn't bother me.
-The fucking Sex Pistols are a fucking joke. Fuck.

Venom Symbiote
11-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Your final point there is something that makes me infinitely happy.

Fuck the Sex Pistols. Fuck the Stooges. Fuck the Buzzcocks.

The Clash were reasonably ok, as were the Ramones. But most of that early punk-rock was completely pube-tacular.

Llamas
11-28-2006, 05:37 PM
This list is very old and has a lot of shit on it. I hate the sex pistols and they should not ever be on a list unless it's "biggest pieces of shit"

Total_immortal
11-28-2006, 05:39 PM
-I hate Blink-182, but they're punk too, so get over it, people.
-Dookie should NOT be so high on that list.
-Smash shouldn't be so high on that list either, but I love that album so it doesn't bother me.
-The fucking Sex Pistols are a fucking joke. Fuck.

agree,
and ramones first album should have been at least in the top five

Smoky_Mc_Weed
11-28-2006, 05:59 PM
agree,
and ramones first album should have been at least in the top five

yes, i agree whit that, and i don't like the sex pistols but i think they were very important in punk history and they deserve i don't know if the first position but at least to be in the top five

JohnnyNemesis
11-28-2006, 05:59 PM
I can tolerate the Stooges, but they're not my cup of tea. I highly enjoy the Buzzcocks, but don't listen to much. The Clash are great sometimes, but still piss me the fuck off because there's as much bullshit Brit-pop in there as there is anything else and people never notice.

I want to defecate on all of the Ramones albums.

WebDudette
11-28-2006, 06:42 PM
I want to defecate on all of the Ramones albums.

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

I can't stand the Ramones, they are one of the most over rated bands in my opinion.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
11-28-2006, 06:43 PM
I like the Stooges, but it's partly because I'm bias towards Detroit bands. I also find the Ramones quite enjoyable. I understand how most albums got on that list; it was the most popular albums that were related one way or another to punk rock. That still leaves me guessing as to how Sublime and Nirvana made it on there.

opivy21
11-28-2006, 07:14 PM
I'm setting myself up to get argued with, but I don't really care.

Punk and old pop-punk are different from modern pop-punk. They're not really comparable. How can you put bands like Green Day on a list with bands like The Stooges or Crass? Even the old pop-punk bands, such as the Buzzcocks and the Descendents, don't really sound like Green Day. You can probably agree to that, whether or not you actually like any of these bands.

Also, Nirvana? Really? To me, that makes even less sense than all of the new bands on that list.

Anyway, all genres aside, that list is still pretty flawed. Everyone's got their opinions, but is Enema Of The State (or any Blink 182 cd) really better than anything the Stiff Little Fingers, Black Flag, or even Minor Threat (who really isn't as great as many people say in my opinion) ever did?

Edit: I actually like the Sex Pistols, but #1 is definitely bullshit.

And the Ramones are good. Overrated? Probably. But still good.

Venom Symbiote
11-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Agreed. Ramones are clearly overrated, but worth a listen to once in a while. Goofy fun.

And I agree about the old/new pop-punk too. It's weird though, Blink 182 clearly have a strong Descendents influence, and I love the Descendents but could never stand Blink. Even the Dude Ranch-era Blink.

The first few Green Day albums were more akin to that era too, just to point that out.

opivy21
11-28-2006, 07:45 PM
I think the reason that Blink 182 sucks and the Descendents don't is that the Descendents did it first and they did it way better.

And Green Day definitely had some influences earlier on in their careers, I'll give you that.

Venom Symbiote
11-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Yeah. The Descendents were a little different lyrically, too. Goofy, but not...frat-boy drunken cock-joke goofy. They did have the crude humour, but it was kind of less..."God you're an immature cockface", if that makes any sense.

78 Water
11-28-2006, 08:00 PM
The Decendants are awesome!

Venom Symbiote
11-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Thank you for your insightful comment!

We all appreciate it!

Choke and die!

78 Water
11-28-2006, 08:11 PM
You want people to choke and die without even knowing them?

Sir, you are one sick, sick individual.

SkunkIt
11-28-2006, 08:24 PM
I do not care for Kerrang, It has proved Itself to be unknowledgeable of Punk music and only considers the mainstream.

I do not trust any "Punk" magazine you can find at a grocery store.

Jizzy Jeff Punk Man
11-28-2006, 08:36 PM
This list pretty much bullshit. If it's the list of the greatest PUNK bands ever, not only did they miss some but they included a lot of bands that aren't even punk. I don't even think Americana should have made the list and I don't think that Smash should have been so high. Where are the Adolescents? I think they should have made the list.

How can you people hate the Sex Pistols? Sure, they're not great musically but they kind of helped punk become what it is. They ARE punk.

WebDudette
11-28-2006, 08:39 PM
I couldn't careless for bands achivments, if I don't like the music I don't like the music.

bouncingcoles
11-30-2006, 04:25 PM
green day should be much further down the list and blink shouldnt even be on it

Apathy
11-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Anyone up for compiling an better list?

Obviously it's impossible to get everyone to agree, but they could be ranked through a voting system if people are actually up for it, or Just one big poll.

For Pop-punk I think the standout albums probably include:
Green Day Dookie
The Offspring Smash
The Offspring Americana
The Descendents Milo Goes To College
Less Than Jake Hello Rockview
Blink-182 Dude Ranch
Nofx - Punk In Drublic
Ramones - S/T
Buzzcocks - Love Bites
AFI - Black Sails in the Sunsets
Bad religion - No Control
Lagwagon - Let's Talk About Feelings
Rancid - ... and out come the wolves.

I'd be up for it, but I'd need more (read: better) nominations.

Kitten
11-30-2006, 05:36 PM
Where the hell is TSOL's Dance With Me?

Moose
11-30-2006, 05:36 PM
im only posting to reply to some of the people in this topic, i dont care about the list...

but you people obviously dont know what the hell you are talking about. try to think in context, specifically of the time the bands were playing. i hear people saying the clash arent punk, the sex pistols are garbage, and nirvana also arent punk, and that the ramones are overrated...you have to be joking me right? i hope they invent a time machine for people like you.

the sex pistols are amazing. their sound was revolutionary, as were the ramones...without them, you wouldnt have most of the bands today. that's like saying shit about the beatles...you obviously dont understand much about the history of music to say that.

the clash are punk, and probably were and still are the most diverse punk band ever. they are also quite brilliant. they are punk, as are the velvet underground. back in the day, when punk was really coming together, it didnt have a definite type of sound. think about when "grunge" was labeled...nirvana, soundgarden, alice in chains, and pearl jam sound nothing alike.

and nirvana are punk. grunge is a label put on these bands to define the music revolution they started, but ask nirvana what they were, and they would say a punk band. when they were coming up, playing shows, they were considered a punk band. it was an evolved form of punk. its punk. and they dont suck, they are amazing, unfortunately, most of todays bands either try to rip them off, or just totally suck.

JohnnyNemesis
11-30-2006, 05:46 PM
You need to shut the fuck up until you can think for yourself, dumbass.

WebDudette
11-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Like I said earlier, I don't give a shit what The Ramones or The Sex Pistols have acomplished, they still made shitty music.

opivy21
11-30-2006, 07:57 PM
and nirvana are punk. grunge is a label put on these bands to define the music revolution they started, but ask nirvana what they were, and they would say a punk band. when they were coming up, playing shows, they were considered a punk band. it was an evolved form of punk. its punk. and they dont suck, they are amazing, unfortunately, most of todays bands either try to rip them off, or just totally suck.If I played Ukrainian folk music and called myself punk, would you believe me? If other people called my music punk, would that actually make me punk. Most of the music that Nirvana made (at least what they're famous for-I haven't heard much Nirvana because I don't like them) was slow and had abstract lyrics. They played a different style of music. Does it make them any worse that they're not a punk band? Not in my eyes.

Oh, and musical revolution? That might be an extreme statement.

I love my petty arguments...

Anyone up for compiling an better list?

Obviously it's impossible to get everyone to agree, but they could be ranked through a voting system if people are actually up for it, or Just one big poll.

For Pop-punk I think the standout albums probably include:
Green Day – Dookie
The Offspring – Smash
The Offspring – Americana
The Descendents – Milo Goes To College
Less Than Jake – Hello Rockview
Blink-182 – Dude Ranch
Nofx - Punk In Drublic
Ramones - S/T
Buzzcocks - Love Bites
AFI - Black Sails in the Sunsets
Bad religion - No Control
Lagwagon - Let's Talk About Feelings
Rancid - ... and out come the wolves.

I'd be up for it, but I'd need more (read: better) nominations.
If you make another list, it should just be a random list of good records. It's not worth the effort to rank bands when nobody would happy in the end.

Anyway, here's a few suggestions for pop-punk:

10 Foot Pole - Rev
Swingin' Utters - 5 Lessons Learned
Crimpshrine - The Sound Of A New World Being Born
Authority Zero - A Passage In Time and Andiamo are both good
The Vandals - Peace Thru Vandalism/When In Rome Do As The Vandals
The Ramones - Everything up to and including Too Tough To Die

noodle654
11-30-2006, 08:01 PM
This is whack. It's good that the Offspring is #4 for Smash. I liked Rocket From the Crypt up there with Scream, Dracula, Scream. That is a GREAT CD!!!

nameless
12-02-2006, 07:07 PM
id never have considered will haven to be punk!

Omni
12-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Sublime? Dookie? Nevermind?! Huh? London Calling wasn't really punk either. Good to see Black Sails, Suffer, and Smash on there though.

Genius; it's the fucking Clash

opivy21
12-03-2006, 08:47 PM
The Clash didn't just play punk.

Ninty Man
12-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Like I said earlier, I don't give a shit what The Ramones or The Sex Pistols have acomplished, they still made shitty music.

Now this is retard

Apathy
12-04-2006, 02:34 PM
I do not understand why you think it is "retard" as you put it. In the end, it's all about what people like to listen to and enjoy. If everyone hates the Sex Pistols, then they don't deserve to be on the list despite the fact that they may have been one of the first punk bands.

Just because a band was the first (which, they weren't anyway) does not mean that they are any good.

If I played Ukrainian folk music and called myself punk, would you believe me?

*Cough* Gogol Bordello *Cough*

opivy21
12-04-2006, 04:32 PM
*Cough* Gogol Bordello *Cough*Ah, good point. You know what I mean.

Ninty Man
12-05-2006, 08:45 AM
I do not understand why you think it is "retard" as you put it. In the end, it's all about what people like to listen to and enjoy. If everyone hates the Sex Pistols, then they don't deserve to be on the list despite the fact that they may have been one of the first punk bands.

Just because a band was the first (which, they weren't anyway) does not mean that they are any good.

*Cough* Gogol Bordello *Cough*

Cause saying that the Ramones sux it's like saying Offspring sux... and that's blasphemy

Manic Subsidal Boy
12-05-2006, 10:12 PM
The Clash didn't just play punk.

I wish they did though. I dislike a great deal there soul and reggae music. But pop songs like should i stay, rock the casbah and Know Your Right's are pretty good. Lets White Riot!

WebDudette
12-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Now this is retard

And why is that? In my opinion Sex Pistols make terrible music as do The Ramones. Just because they helped create punk isn't going to change the fact that I think they are terrible. And in all honesty I don't really like The Offspring that much.

Manic Subsidal Boy
12-05-2006, 10:17 PM
and just on topic. This list is absolutely fucking bullshit, some hack into and kill the shit outta it. Green Day, Nirvana and Rancid, WTF!

Posted on Tue November 28th by flippinbeans
That is fucking embarrassing

Posted on Tue November 28th by Vintagecherrie
who puts this shit together??

Manic Subsidal Boy
12-05-2006, 10:20 PM
And why is that? In my opinion Sex Pistols make terrible music as do The Ramones. Just because they helped create punk isn't going to change the fact that I think they are terrible. And in all honesty I don't really like The Offspring that much.

Well piss the shit away from the Offspring message boards, if you don't like em. And how can you say Sex Pistols and Ramones are terrible.

WebDudette
12-05-2006, 10:56 PM
Because I don't fucking like the music. Why is that so hard for people to understand. I stick around The Offspring board because when I came here a while ago I found it very interesting and I still do. I stick around General Chat for a reason. From time to time I do still listen to The Offspring, but they are near the bottom of bands I like.

Venom Symbiote
12-05-2006, 10:57 PM
But...the Sex Pistols were terrible. They could barely play their instruments. At least The Ramones could write melodies.

As for The Clash, "Rock The Casbah" is still their best tune. And it's in no way even remotely punk. I love that song.

If every other punk band could write anything half as perfect as that the genre might not be looked down upon as much as it is. That's what I love about The Offspring: they play "punk" (ish) music, but know how to write music.

99.9% of punk-rock sucks, and you all know it.

The Offspring are one of the only punk-rock bands I can stand to listen to. Metal kicks the tit out of it.

WebDudette
12-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Agreed, except for the metal part. I don't like metal all the much.

Little_Miss_1565
12-05-2006, 11:06 PM
Of course you have to take this shit with a grain of salt.

For serious.

Venom Symbiote
12-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Agreed, except for the metal part. I don't like metal all the much.

I mean more...melodic metal. Like the classic early-80's stuff, Maiden and Priest, etc. Genius. Power-metal is intense, too. I'm not talking about thrash, which in general is just as much pure noise as punk. Ach, screaming.

On second thoughts, not all "classic punk-rock" is horrible. But most of the British and New York stuff is. I love oldschool Bad Religion and Descendents, etc. But strangely can't stand Minor Threat, Black Flag, Anti-Flag, or anything like that.

WebDudette
12-06-2006, 12:25 AM
Strangely, I have never listened to any Descendents, but I do like some Bad Religion. I really don't like Black flag and I'm kinf of indiferent about Anti-Flag.

I do like older metal, I figured you were talking Death Metal and Black Metal stuff.

Venom Symbiote
12-06-2006, 12:43 AM
Ugh, about the only death-metal bands I can stand are Arch Enemy for the amazing guitar-work (and Angela's hotness I guess, haha, shook her hand and stuff in the pit too) and Cannibal Corpse. And Cannibal Corpse is only for humour value - they're fucking ridiculous.

And Black Metal, haha. Mayhem, Venom, let's go burn down a church. :D Haha. Lame.

But really, you've gotta listen to some Descendents. Just go buy "Somery", it'll give you a good indication of their old less-produced sound (Greatest Hits-type thing). "Everything Sucks" and "Cool To Be You" are also awesome records, fairly recent releases. Much more produced and "pop-y", but great nonetheless. They're like...what Blink 182 would have been if they were any good.

opivy21
12-06-2006, 05:51 AM
99.9% of punk-rock sucks, and you all know it.I doubt that you've heard 99.9% of punk rock. That's a pretty big generalization to make about a wide-ranging genre.

But strangely can't stand Minor Threat, Black Flag, Anti-Flag, or anything like that.This just shows that you haven't given punk enough time to be able to write most of it off the way you do. I don't care if you like it or not, but you're making broad statements about stuff you haven't listened to. Of course Anti-Flag sucks, and Black Flag and Minor Threat are not the easiest bands to listen to, but those are three of the biggest names that you will hear associated with punk. There's a lot more than just those bands, and they play some really good music.

'ave it!!!
12-06-2006, 01:36 PM

The Clash were reasonably ok, as were the Ramones. But most of that early punk-rock was completely pube-tacular.

are you kidding me????

those bands invented punk Sex pistols, Clash, Buzzcocks.....3 of the best bands of all time

GBH2
12-06-2006, 03:59 PM

Fuck the stooges?
fuck you.

you ever heard raw power?

But...the Sex Pistols were terrible. They could barely play their instruments. At least The Ramones could write melodies.

As for The Clash, "Rock The Casbah" is still their best tune. And it's in no way even remotely punk. I love that song.

99.9% of punk-rock sucks, and you all know it.

The Offspring are one of the only punk-rock bands I can stand to listen to. Metal kicks the tit out of it.

good god you are a moron.

Manic Subsidal Boy
12-07-2006, 01:39 AM
I mean more...melodic metal. Like the classic early-80's stuff, Maiden and Priest, etc. Genius. Power-metal is intense, too. I'm not talking about thrash, which in general is just as much pure noise as punk. Ach, screaming.

On second thoughts, not all "classic punk-rock" is horrible. But most of the British and New York stuff is. I love oldschool Bad Religion and Descendents, etc. But strangely can't stand Minor Threat, Black Flag, Anti-Flag, or anything like that.

Yeah! Keep it Maiden and Priest! Anti-Flag are pretty shit, but Minor Threat and Black Flag: understandable but IMO I think they're the best punk (hardcore) bands..

I doubt that you've heard 99.9% of punk rock. That's a pretty big generalization to make about a wide-ranging genre.
This just shows that you haven't given punk enough time to be able to write most of it off the way you do. I don't care if you like it or not, but you're making broad statements about stuff you haven't listened to.

Fuck up about it eh, you know what he means.

are you kidding me????

those bands invented punk Sex pistols, Clash, Buzzcocks.....3 of the best bands of all time

Lets think... NO! MC5, Stooges and Velvet Underground sort of invented punk.. Buzzcocks and the Clash aren't even close to being a part of the best bands of all time..

Manic Subsidal Boy
12-07-2006, 01:42 AM
And 1 more.. How can you say Ramones are crap. They kill the shit out of the Pistols

Rehynn
12-07-2006, 04:19 AM
I really appreciate everybody's concerns about whether Blink is punk or not and whatever, but it's a shame that nobody has asked a way more important question regarding this list:

WHERE THE FUCK IS SOCIAL DISTORTION????

White Light, White Heat, White Trash should be in the top 10.

opivy21
12-07-2006, 05:32 AM
Fuck up about it eh, you know what he means.Yeah, he meant what he said, and what he said was that all punk sucks when he obviously hasn't heard enough to make that statement.