PDA

View Full Version : Putting Back the Draft

78 Water
11-29-2006, 05:59 PM
I heard that in the United States, they may put back the draft for military service in 5 years. I don't think it'll happen, but that would suck, cause I'd have to fight in Iraq.

I think the war will probably be over by then. What do you think about this draft?

0r4ng3
11-29-2006, 06:01 PM
Draft or not, they can't get me, because of my minor heart condition thing.

PRNK ON GOVERNMENT

Mota Boy
11-29-2006, 07:16 PM
The call for the renewal of the draft has been made by a couple Democratic congressmen with little power and no influence. It's not actual legislation, but more of a political stunt to cast soldiers as members of the lower class and highlight the fact that very few of the neoconservative architects of the Iraq War and the Republican politicians that support it (and, it's insinuated, will make money from it) actually have family members over there. It recasts the war as an an issue of class, rather than an issue of the War on Terror and causes the war to become much more "real" in the minds of young potential draftees, causing them (ideally) to re-evaluate their support for it. The Democratic Party isn't getting their members to shut up because the story useful for those purposes, but they realize it'd be political suicide to actually support such a measure.

Barring an international crisis of obscene proportions, it won't happen.

RickyCrack
11-29-2006, 10:20 PM
This thread is so fucking retarded

Venom Symbiote
11-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Won't happen.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if they did, though.

Not Ozymandias
11-30-2006, 02:59 PM
I hear John Wayne's corpse is already thinking of excuses to get out of it, just in case.

Omni
12-19-2006, 09:39 PM
I seriously doubt it'd happen, but I'm exempt anyway. Thanks to my Crohn's Disease.

Sin Studly
12-19-2006, 09:51 PM
I'd support the draft if it was for killing Turks, Abos or Hungarians.

Izie
12-19-2006, 11:32 PM
I support the draft. I think the omnipresent fear of their children seeing military service will put America's policy in perspective in the minds of the electorate.

-HP

Little_Miss_1565
12-19-2006, 11:43 PM
I support the draft. I think the omnipresent fear of their children seeing military service will put America's policy in perspective in the minds of the electorate.

-HP

Which is precisely why it's the left wing who proposed the bill to reinstate the draft. But I think even without a draft, the country's foreign policy is on the minds of the voting public--the right wing got ass-reamed in the midterm elections and lost both houses. I'm not sure how I feel about the draft. I think the army should be volunteer-based, but the armed services tend to be pretty classist. A draft would be the only way to be sure the priviledged weren't forcing the underpriviledged to fight their dirty fights. At least I wouldn't get drafted--who knew I'd ever be happy to have chronic health problems.

leo3375
12-20-2006, 12:08 AM
The problem with reinstating the draft is that the wealthy elite and the neoconservatives will still find a way to keep their kids from being drafted. I am staunchly opposed to reinstating the draft because I feel that those who oppose war should not be forced to fight.

On the other hand, I'm all for a law requiring any children and grandchildren of politicians between 1825 years of age (the kids of course) to serve in the military. Let's see how much they support war when it's their own childrens' lives on the line.

Venom Symbiote
12-21-2006, 12:48 AM
On the other hand, I'm all for a law requiring any children and grandchildren of politicians between 1825 years of age (the kids of course) to serve in the military. Let's see how much they support war when it's their own childrens' lives on the line.

That's idiotic.

You don't support a draft, but you support a draft of politicians kids, what, because of their parent's career? Out of revenge? Punishment? A harsh lesson?

Pretty fucking idiotic, yes.

Oxygene
12-21-2006, 02:30 AM
That's idiotic.

You don't support a draft, but you support a draft of politicians kids, what, because of their parent's career? Out of revenge? Punishment? A harsh lesson?

Pretty fucking idiotic, yes.

It's not idiotic it makes perfect sense.. unfortunatly it's unconstitutional... I think it should be the other way around.. noone who doesn't have atleast one close family member in the armed forces or served during war time should be allowed to run for/serve in office. We have a saying in hungary that suits this situation (what U.S. politicians are doing) really well "beating the poison ivy with someone elses dick".. that certainly is less fair, than the proposition that only those who know what they are talking about be allowed to make decisions in reference...
Peace.

Venom Symbiote
12-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Repeat: it's fucking idiotic.

Why are pacifists always such hypocrites?

Sin Studly
12-23-2006, 10:53 PM
It is pretty idiotic, actually. The idea of having conscription is to win a war, not to make a political statement.

HornyPope
12-23-2006, 10:55 PM
At least I wouldn't get drafted--who knew I'd ever be happy to have chronic health problems.

No, you wouldn't be drafted cause you're a woman.

Sin Studly
12-23-2006, 10:59 PM
I did consider pointing that out. At least she's doing a service to feminism by hiding behind a health problem instead of her vagina. She probably defrauds the government with a disability check instead of child welfare, too.

Venom Symbiote
12-23-2006, 11:25 PM
Yeah, the medical thing is something that pisses me off. I wouldn't be accepted into the Australian military because of my (mild) asthma condition and (again mild/non-serious) heart murmur, but if there was a draft it's not serious enough for me not to have to go to war.

I'd gladly enlist in the military for a few years, it was one of my ambitions in early highschool before I decided against it, but it just pisses me off that I can't join voluntarily over something so minor, which I would do, but if it comes to a draft they're fully willing to say "fuck it" and sign me up.

That's pissy.

Little_Miss_1565
12-23-2006, 11:51 PM
No, you wouldn't be drafted cause you're a woman.

I did consider pointing that out. At least she's doing a service to feminism by hiding behind a health problem instead of her vagina. She probably defrauds the government with a disability check instead of child welfare, too.

You're both wrong. 90% of the discussion of reinstating the draft in the US says that women would be drafted along with the men. And yes, I've got government disability, that's why I spend so much time at my office job, collecting a regular paycheck.

HornyPope
12-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Hey lol notice that both the neocons and the progressive liberals have each their excuses to get away from the military?

Support the troops, vaginas, join their ranks.

Little_Miss_1565
12-24-2006, 12:21 AM
Hey lol notice that both the neocons and the progressive liberals have each their excuses to get away from the military?

Support the troops, vaginas, join their ranks.

How does that make any sense? The neocons want to stay away from the military already because the idea of having to do any of the heavy lifting for the myriad of silly projects they want to undertake upsets them. Progressive liberals want to stay away from the military because they are hippies. Vaginas aren't even in the picture, and women are on the front lines already.

HornyPope
12-24-2006, 12:24 AM
Vaginas aren't even in the picture, and women are on the front lines already.
Are you refering to "Vaginas" and "women" as one of the same or are you suggesting the two are separate entities?

Lol tities.

Little_Miss_1565
12-24-2006, 12:27 AM
Damn, you sure did show me. Keep up the intellectual act, no one would ever guess it's a pose.

HornyPope
12-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Do you feel harassed, demeand; do you think I might have a gender bias?

Little_Miss_1565
12-24-2006, 12:36 AM
The only thing I feel harassed by is your inability to spell "demeaned." Not to mention your inability to carry out conversation.

HornyPope
12-24-2006, 12:46 AM
You want us to have conversations more often? We just don't do it... long enough?

Sin Studly
12-24-2006, 01:01 AM
I guess it does take balls to admit the only reason you wouldn't fight in a war is because you're a cowering sissy. I'm glad I don't have all that estrogen pulsing through my veins.

Little_Miss_1565
12-24-2006, 11:32 AM
I guess it does take balls to admit the only reason you wouldn't fight in a war is because you're a cowering sissy. I'm glad I don't have all that estrogen pulsing through my veins.

Shit goddamn do you have my number, Justin. I'm so embarassed that you've seen right through me.

Sin Studly
12-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Wanna burn our draft cards together and hang out in Canada smoking pot and checking each others dreadlocks for lice?

ninthlayer
12-25-2006, 02:15 AM
I'm perfectly healthy but would want to dodge the draft because I really really really like my fucking hair and wouldn't want to have it shaved off.