PDA

View Full Version : Forming A Band

Beavesy
12-02-2006, 07:15 AM
I wanna form a band but I was just wondering what is the best way to go about it. I live in the country which makes it a bit harder as well.

Apathy
12-02-2006, 07:35 AM
This question comes about a lot, so I figure I might as well give you a decent answer.

1. Learn To Play an instrument. This one should be obvious, but so often people get caught up in finding bandmates that when they finally get a band together, they suck anyay.

2. Go To lots of Shows of bands you like. This is a good way to meet other people your age in the same scene as you. Talk to lots of people at shows, ask them if they're insterested in joining a band, ect.

3. Talk to all of your friends and see If they'll join.

4. Once you have a band, you'll want to start playing at venues, but you probably need a good 5-6 songs done before you're even ready to play at the smallest of venues. Buy some recording equipment, record your best songs, and hand it out to some owners of smaller venues. Even if you suck, some places will let you play, just not pay you.

DexterWannabe
12-02-2006, 10:34 AM
5. Never give up

JoY
12-02-2006, 11:02 AM
6. unless you utterly fail & sound like a total trainwreck.

killer_queen
12-02-2006, 11:48 AM
Depends on why you want to be in a band. If you are really, really into music you must play an instrument. In fact if you haven't started until now your wish is kinda stupid. Anyway, find people who are into music like you. If you pick your talentless friends for a band you can't make good music.

If you just want to have good time with a group of nice people and play music, if you don't have big ambitions pick your nice and concordant friends. You don't want to have "I wanna be the lead singer" arguements.

Long story short, make your expectations clear. And then get in action. Otherwise you can get disappointed.

Marco
12-02-2006, 01:22 PM
7. always try and sound different in the genre you are playing,but don't worry if you experiment new genres or styles... REMEMBER THIS!

killer_queen
12-02-2006, 01:34 PM
^Bullshit. Don't try too hard to sound different. Look at all those classical music composers. They all sound the same but they also are the only musicians who have been listened to hundreds of years. Just play what you want. And don't listen this guy.

Marco
12-02-2006, 02:01 PM
^Bullshit. Don't try too hard to sound different. Look at all those classical music composers. They all sound the same but they also are the only musicians who have been listened to hundreds of years. Just play what you want. And don't listen this guy.
ooops I meant different as songs, not genre...edited

Apathy
12-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Don't listen to what he said. Just play whatever you think sounds best, and if it's terrible someone will let you know.

Beavesy
12-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Cheers thanks for the advice. I have been playing drums for 3 years just to let you know.