PDA

View Full Version : Smash (If you don't like my threads don't read)

Camilamazed
12-03-2006, 04:02 PM
1)"Head over heals Ive fit in before"

Head over heals = Cure?
(Does the sentence mean he's quit the life he used to have?

Is head over heals different from head over HEELS?

2)"Ive held it all in with blood on my face"

Does this mean that he went through that situation patiently without complaining?

3)"Built it up man so bad you can taste"

Didn't get this sentence very well

4)"I dont slag no one"

Slag=insult?

3)"Smash is the way you feel all alone
Like an outcast youre out on your own
Smash is the way you deal with your life
Like an outcast youre smashing your strife"

What is another way of saying smash here?

urban dictionary smash=having sex (mostly)
dictionary.com smash=break

ACYD
12-03-2006, 04:30 PM
You're a magnet for being retarded. These threads suck. You ask questions about things that are obvious.

Camilamazed
12-03-2006, 04:33 PM
You're a magnet for being retarded. These threads suck. You ask questions about things that are obvious.

Fuck you, bastard.

They are obvious for you because English is your mother tongue.

JohnnyNemesis
12-03-2006, 04:33 PM
ACYD: She's from a different country, so it's NOT obvious to her, you fucking toolbox. Go choke on something, scumbag.

nightvision
12-03-2006, 04:34 PM
(If you don't like my threads don't read)

Shut up ACYD.

Revolver-2005?
12-03-2006, 04:34 PM
1)"Head over heals Ive fit in before"

Head over heals = Cure?
(Does the sentence mean he's quit the life he used to have?

Is head over heals different from head over HEELS?

2)"Ive held it all in with blood on my face"

Does this mean that he went through that situation patiently without complaining?

4)"I dont slag no one"

Slag=insult?

3)"Smash is the way you feel all alone
Like an outcast youre smashing your strife"

What is another way of saying smash here?

urban dictionary smash=having sex (mostly)
dictionary.com smash=break

It's head over heels. When he says he built it up so bad you can taste he's saying that he kept all the anger inside so long it started to hurt him ( I think anyway). The smash part I myself have never been able to fully understand either. Other than that I think you got it.

And you're an asshole, I'm pretty sure she isn't American and phrases and sayings in our country might not make total sense to her.

ygokazuki
12-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Head over heals Ive fit in beforeHead over heels means how some people fall, tumbling over themselves. It means he's had a bad experience when trying to conform.
You're correct about 2.

Built it up man so bad you can taste
When he says "built it up", he probably means feelings of anger/rebellion.
"So bad you can taste" is just a way of saying it's very, very bad. lol
You're correct about 4.

Smash is the way you feel all alone
Like an outcast youre smashing your strife
This is the part that is open to interpretation - this is what Dexter thinks Smash is.

Llamas
12-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Head over heels means how some people fall, tumbling over themselves.

Err... head over heels means hopelessly. People say they're head over heels in love, meaning hopelessly in love or completely. Your head is naturally in line with the arch of your foot. Head over heels implies that your head is back and you're looking toward the sky. It's a way of saying that you're hopeless... though it's always used in a positive way, like in love. Weird that the offspring uses it in a negative way.

Have you ever heard someone say, "You're so full of shit your eyes are brown"? Same kind of idea. If you're building something up inside yourself, it's going to FILL your body. If it's built up so much you can TASTE it, that means it's filled you all the way to your mouth. It's just a way of saying that it's built up beyond control and it consumes your entire being.

Venom Symbiote
12-03-2006, 06:24 PM
I have no problem with there being a song discussion/interpretation thread for people with English as their second language, but that's not the issue here.

Combine it into one all-encompassing thread. We don't need one for individual songs or albums, it's just messy.

It's not a personal attack on you, Camila. It's a good idea for discussion, just...make a common-use one. Discuss one song at a time, move onto the next if you have questions about others.

ACYD
12-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Had I extended my thought beyond a couple sentences I would have said much of the same. It's not so much people questioning lyrics that's irritating, it's having fifteen threads pop up over the same issue when it could all be in the same topic.

I didn't keep track of who said "fuck you" to me, but same back to you all. :)

Little_Miss_1565
12-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Combine it into one all-encompassing thread. We don't need one for individual songs or albums, it's just messy.

The way most people treat topics on this forum, it would be MORE messy to have them all in one thread. 90% of posters here don't bother to read past the first page of posts, let alone notice if there's more than one page. She'd never get good answers.

And for ACYD and any other dumb motherfucker who might think to say something about Camila's threads, not only does she not speak English as a primary language, but she's working on translating things to her native language. Thus, it is important to get all the subtleties.

Thomas
12-03-2006, 09:20 PM
I always saw "smash" used as a symbol or metaphor for this whole mindset of staying away from the norm, breaking conformity, and transcendentalism in general. The way I interpreted it, Dexter just found a word that represents these concepts expressed throughout the whole album.

Camilamazed
12-03-2006, 10:07 PM
I've heard of "head over heels" before. That's why I got confused. It says head over HEALS on the CD cover and the lyrics session of the website. '

And yes, Like Lil_miss said. I'm translating into my native language. You guys have no idea that the lyrics had been terribly translated. There are many sites and blogs for the Offspring lyrics but they are totally senseless. It seems like people had used the google translator.

As I've already told you, there are some idiom expressions that are different in our language and THERE ARE NO PHRASAL VERBS IN PORTUGUESE, that is, when people translate the lyrics they translate word by word which makes the translation awfull. Thank goodness most of the people here understand what I mean. I'm trying to help out most of the fans that are not able to completely understand the lyrics and also providing them information about the American culture which is sometimes in songs. Pensacola for instance. Most of us didn't know it is a city in Florida and also a college. After my translation everyone understood the song better. I know that it's obvious, I do understand the general meaning. What I just ask is a help for isolated words or expressions.

PS: I hope I don't need to say that again..

And yes.. The explanation for Smash will raise a problem. I don't know how to translate it into Portuguese. Brazilian people have a serious problems with translating all the words precisely. Even names, which I think shouldn't happen....

Oh well... I'm glad though I got the rest of the lyrics.

Thank you all, once more.

EMehl6
12-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Alright, here's my interpretation of the song:

Head over heals Ive fit in before
Now I dont want to do it no more
Head over heels pretty much means means he's thrown himself or forced himself, or whoever he's referring to, to fit in.

Ive held it all in with blood on my face
Built it up man so bad you can taste
This means he's tried and tried and beat himself up over it, and it's just eaten away at him for a long period of time.

I dont slag no one
I dont even judge
Basically means he doesn't get on anyones back about things, leaves people be, if you will, and the not judging part is pretty self explanitory.

Dont give a shit cause Im not gonna budge
I just want to be who I want to be
Guess thats hard for others to see
Obviously, this means he doesn't care what other think of him anymore. He just wants to be himself, but no one understands why.

Im not a trendy asshole
I do what I want
I do what I feel like
Im not a trendy asshole
I dont give a fuck if its good enough for you
Cause Im alive
This pretty much means he doesn't care about popularity anymore, and does whatever he wants to do, and doesn't care what everyone else thinks. He wants to live his life how he wants to, by his own rules.

Smash is the way you feel all alone
He's referring to what he calls 'smash' here as feeling unlike and cast away from everyone, a loner.

Like an outcast youre smashing your strife
Here, he's referring to 'smash' as how you go about living your life, and making the best out of what you have and solving your problems.

Head over heals Ive fit in before
Now I dont want to do it no more
I just want to be who I want to be
Guess thats hard for others to see
And of course, we covered this earlier in the song.

Hope this helps you out:)

ACYD
12-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Whoever called me a fucker or whatever can go suck Tom DeLonge's dick.

Kitten
12-04-2006, 05:17 PM
You did come across as an asshole.

Little_Miss_1565
12-04-2006, 07:45 PM

Here's a novel idea--quit acting like a petulant child and then maybe no one would call you a fucker.

EMehl6
12-04-2006, 08:20 PM

I doesn't take much intelligence to figure out you don't have to look at every thread. If you don't like the topic, don't click it dumbass.

As for the dick sucking part; Tom is an arrogant prick much like yourself, so you two would make a perfect match...fucker.