PDA

View Full Version : More useless information about my life!

killer_queen
12-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Yeah, after thinking about it for years I decided what to become in 40 minutes. And the only person who helped me was Hugh Laurie.

I know it sounds funny and stupid in a kind of way but that's the truth. I watched an episode of House m.d. and bang, I suddenly realized that I want to study medicine. I know, it's not like a medical drama, it's much more hard and I'm not really dying to be a doctor but there's something annoying. I can't find anything else to do. Seriously, my other chocies were engineerings. Computer, electric, etc. I love maths, physics and all but I don't think I can be dealing with them for 4 years more.
Also it's going to make my dad happy. I'm not doing it for him but that will be a big plus for me. When I passed the exam for the high school I studied my father got so happy that he bought a new flute and a cello for me and helped me to get lessons. I can't even imagine what would he do if I study medicine.

Anyway, although I love talking about myself I have to stop here and ask. How did you decide what to do with your life? My question is for elders of course. Some people say they didn't and they are not happy with it. If you made your own decisions are you happy with them? And..no wait, that's all.

Sinister
12-04-2006, 09:34 AM
At this point I'm aiming to get in the translation business, and I decided that because all my English teachers so far (and my stupid Spanish teacher) were amazed at how good my language skills are, so that must mean something.

I'm not an "elder" but I do know what I want to do.

killer_queen
12-04-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm not an "elder" but I do know what I want to do.
It's okay.
Well, but you decided to be a translator because you are good at languages. It's not a passion of your life, right?

That's not that easy for me. I don't want to brag or anything but I'm good at almost anything. I've always been the best of my class/school at maths and science. I've never needed to study biology even for the most difficult exams. People think I'm good at music and you may not believe but I'm also good at languages. Don't judge me by my English, with these kind of teachers I'm th best. I'm not super good at any of these things but like I said before I'm more than okay. Which makes things harder.

Sinister
12-04-2006, 09:45 AM
well, I like to read stories, novels and stuff, so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna like literary translation. About the passion thing, musicianship and writing are both risky, income-wise so they'll have to be sidelines for a while.

edit: I can relate, I've always been surprised at how little effort I needed in school to get pretty good grades.

JoY
12-04-2006, 09:49 AM
first I wanted to become a detective (I was a young little puppy then), then I wanted to become a writer. then I wanted to become a lawyer. what I really wanted, after seeing thousands of series about law & shit, was investigating, gathering proof, clues & hints, solve a puzzle in order to help someone. this can directly be applied to medicine as well, if you think about it. when choosing medicine, it wasn't that much different than all the things I'd considered & wanted to become in my youth.

it sounds cheesy, wanting to help people, but to me coming to a (differential) diagnosis is like a puzzle. you have to hold on to what normal health would look like (standard), you have to gather all the parts, investigate the situation, but the difference with law is, it's depersonalised. you're looking for a disease to blame, not a person. at the same time it's very personal & individual, because not one disease expresses itself in one human being, the same way it does in another. also every individual reacts to/deals with sickness in their own personal way. still you need to standardise health & sickness, look at the body as a mechanical thing & diagnose & treat people according to an almost mathematical system. it's interesting & leaves space for creativity & personal imput.

health is something I've been struggling with for most of my life & well, many people in my close surrounding. some I know/knew struggled with their mental health, appearing to be just as physical as anything else. so when I chose medicine, I was considering psychiatry. because it's interesting, how we apparently make a difference between mental & physical sickness, when most mental diseases have a physical cause. now I'm not so sure anymore about psychiatry, but it comes down to me wanting to help people, wishing I could've helped people better in the past, wishing to do so in the future, solving that goddam puzzle & nailing that disease. diagnosing is one thing, treating the problem is another. both are interesting as hell to me.

JoY
12-04-2006, 09:51 AM
oh, by the way, medicine WHOO!

I thought it was expected.

Amiralanal
12-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Yeah, after thinking about it for years I decided what to become in 40 minutes. And the only person who helped me was Hugh Laurie.

I know it sounds funny and stupid in a kind of way but that's the truth. I watched an episode of House m.d. and bang, I suddenly realized that I want to study medicine. I know, it's not like a medical drama, it's much more hard and I'm not really dying to be a doctor but there's something annoying. I can't find anything else to do. Seriously, my other chocies were engineerings. Computer, electric, etc. I love maths, physics and all but I don't think I can be dealing with them for 4 years more.
Also it's going to make my dad happy. I'm not doing it for him but that will be a big plus for me. When I passed the exam for the high school I studied my father got so happy that he bought a new flute and a cello for me and helped me to get lessons. I can't even imagine what would he do if I study medicine.

Anyway, although I love talking about myself I have to stop here and ask. How did you decide what to do with your life? My question is for elders of course. Some people say they didn't and they are not happy with it. If you made your own decisions are you happy with them? And..no wait, that's all.

why bother posting if its worthless?

T-6005
12-04-2006, 10:04 AM
I'm still not sure how I decided to go into Economics.

EDIT - And Hugh Laurie is clearly a great man and a perfect reason to decide on a life's path.

offspring dude
12-04-2006, 10:31 AM

That wasn't worthless, it just helped get convinced of what i want to do with my future life even more, thanks JoY!

killer_queen
12-04-2006, 10:48 AM
And Hugh Laurie is clearly a great man and a perfect reason to decide on a life's path.
Fuck, yes. The other decision of mine is to rape him at least for ten times.

the_GoDdEsS
12-04-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm happy for you Gulsah. I hate having to make that kind of joices because it's so limiting.

I've found it quite a pain to have to decide at the age of 18 what I want to study. I'd have made a completely different choice right now. Languages just seemed easy and most of all those insane amounts of things I learnt at uni did not give me anything for my practical life. I've gained that outside of uni through extra-curricular things I organised myself, which barely had anything to do with what I was studying. And right now I'm mainly stuck with teaching and translating which does not give me many career advancement options. I need to be in the lead, but I suppose I'll get there with time.

Edit: As for choice influence, I decided so myself but my parents were essentially right that I needed something much more competition driven and challenging, because I was simply too good for that. But oh well, I did not listen.

killer_queen
12-04-2006, 10:54 AM
it sounds cheesy, wanting to help people, but to me coming to a (differential) diagnosis is like a puzzle. you have to hold on to what normal health would look like (standard), you have to gather all the parts, investigate the situation, but the difference with law is, it's depersonalised. you're looking for a disease to blame, not a person. at the same time it's very personal & individual, because not one disease expresses itself in one human being, the same way it does in another. also every individual reacts to/deals with sickness in their own personal way. still you need to standardise health & sickness, look at the body as a mechanical thing & diagnose & treat people according to an almost mathematical system. it's interesting & leaves space for creativity & personal imput.
Pretty much sounds like why I liked the idea of being a doctor. That's why House, not another medical drama influenced me. It's fun and it's something that you can dedicate yourself. I mean, how could you dedicate your whole life for your job if you are a computer engineer or something like that? When I becaome a grown-up I want my job to be a part of my life. Not something that I forget all about when I go home.

0r4ng3
12-04-2006, 10:55 AM
You never ask that same question after each and every one of your own posts?

Anyway, like Sinister, I'm no "elder". The first thing I remember wanting to do was design video games, because I played them a lot. After I discovered how much work that requires, I was all "fuck that".

Now I wanna try something in graphic design. Stuff like making logos for companies and other things like that. I guess I was inspired by seeing how stuff is designed, and how it can be used almost anywhere.

killer_queen
12-04-2006, 11:06 AM
You never ask that same question after each and every one of your own posts?

Anyway, like Sinister, I'm no "elder". The first thing I remember wanting to do was design video games, because I played them a lot. After I discovered how much work that requires, I was all "fuck that".

Now I wanna try something in graphic design. Stuff like making logos for companies and other things like that. I guess I was inspired by seeing how stuff is designed, and how it can be used almost anywhere.

Oh my God! Game designing! I thought that would be fun after playing Sly Cooper. In fact Sly Cooper and Monkey Island are the only games I really love and both impressed me a lot. Making a game is like making a movie without letting the actors and the director get all of th attention. I would love to do that if I didn't hate spending time in front of a computer. I can still take a part for making the music, though (I hope). But anyway, I strongly advise you to do that. Graphic design is cool but there are tons of people who are interested in it. Which will make you work harder than you thought.
Game designing, yes, definitely.

Simona, thanks. Ooooh the parents... They always think they know everything. What's worse is they do know everything. Life sucks.

the_GoDdEsS
12-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Simona, thanks. Ooooh the parents... They always think they know everything. What's worse is they do know everything. Life sucks.

Hahaha, tell me about it. At least 90% of the time.

Jebus
12-04-2006, 11:37 AM
I, like most little kids obsessed with video games, wanted to be a game designer. Then I lost interest in games and forgot about that dream.

Later on I decided to do something in the computer field and get a computer science degree, which is what I'm working on now. I'm still not 100% sure what types of jobs are available with a CS degree, but I'm thinking I'll probably be a programmer unless sometime more "interesting" shows itself . I do enjoy what I'm studying , but being a programmer seems kind of dull.

0r4ng3
12-04-2006, 11:40 AM
I wanted to do computer science somewhere along the line also, but then I realized that a requirement is that you can't suck at math. So, yeah, that dream died quickly.

Tired_Of_You
12-04-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm not an elder yet, but I thought I could talk about my case... Also, just before I start telling this wonderful tale, the Quebec system is a little different, so I'll just explain it a little. After high school, if you want to go to university, you need to do a pre-university program in what is called a cégep and it lasts two years. It's supposed to be my last year, but I added another term, so I'll finaly finish Cegep in December 2007.

During secondary 2, I had an history class and we had spent a really short time on anthropology and while I really liked it, I was young and didn't consider studying that at the time. Then, during my last high school year, I had a class called History of the old civilisations. While the teacher was the most boring person ever, I discovered that I really, really liked anthropology. Even though I really liked that, I still didn't consider right away to study that. Before I sent my application (?) to a cégep, I went to see a counselor, because I wasn't sure what to study. I was thinking mostly about either Cinema or Social Sciences. I went to see her a few times and she basically made me pass a few tests and told me I'd probably prefer Social Sciences.

So, I arrived in cégep, hated my first term and considered a change of program, which I never did. During the second term, I had anthropology once again and I liked the class so much, that this time, I seriously considered studying that. I went to see another another counselor to have more information about anthropology and other information as well, because of course, I wasn't completely sure about my decision. This counselor really helped me make my decision.

I think that if you can, you should consider seeing one. The first counselor I saw was not really good, but the second really helped, by not only giving me many info about anthropology, but about universities, other programs that kinda interested me and even jobs I could apply for. You have to aim for something that really interests you, I think. I can't imaging working in a place I despise for over 30 years. I've done it during a little more than 3 months and I really, really, really hated that.

I'm obviously not going to study anthropology for the salary and it actually seems risky, since the students who finds jobs related to anthropolgy after studying in this field seem kinda low. I prefer a job I love with a lower salary than one I hate with a higher salary. I'm currently planning to do master in anthropology and then possibly research.

I didn't think it would be that long.

coke_a_holic
12-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Obviously, like the other kids in this thread, I'm not an elder.

I wish I was more like you people: it seems like mediocrity pretty much follows me in whatever I try to do. I still haven't figured out what I want to do, but I know that I want to study psychology, music theory, and English, and I'll figure out which of the 3 borderline-useless majors I'll go into.

Bazza
12-04-2006, 01:05 PM
Erm I'm on my way to specialize in market finance (you know, traders, finance maths, etc).

Sounds like my worst nightmare, sadly I'm stuck doing a degree in chemistry, fun!

Bazza
12-04-2006, 01:16 PM
I like money, but finance just bores me. I have a friend doing economics and it's all formulas and graphs. At least with chemistry I get to make stuff, which can be useful. I guess I prefer a hands on approach...

JoY
12-04-2006, 01:38 PM
When I becaome a grown-up I want my job to be a part of my life. Not something that I forget all about when I go home.

hold on, I don't want to come across as an oldie in the field, or whatever, but this is a difficult issue. when I was in my training period as a nurse (it's obligatory in medicine in the Netherlands), it cost me so much trouble NOT to take the patients' sorrows & troubles home with me. there were a couple of dramatic cases, for instance patients dying, two patients with a heroinaddiction & both of them were in deep shit & essentially supersweet people.

one day, when I'd just seen a patient of mine die & I'd just tried to convince one of the patients addicted to heroin not to commit suicide & stay in the hospital for care & so she'd be away from dealers (she ran away from the hospital that day & I tried to get her back. she did come back the next day, with an enormous asthma attack from smoking heroin), et cetera, I went home by bus & suddenly I just had to get out. I almost ran out of that bus, walking straight to the district in Arnhem, where there are a lot of bars, clubs & such. I had no money on me, but I walked around for a while, sat down between the drinking, happy people, just to see someone smile.

you can't take it home with you, eventually that'd wreck you to the core. I used to take home other people's problems with me, because for some reason people trust me &/or talk to me, & that wrecked me too. when you keep thinking about possible solutions, why you can't help someone (because there are going to be people you can't help & those people have the kind of problems you take home with you), what else you can do, or could've done.. other people's problems become so internalised, they become yours. & that's not good.

about the musician thing; from the age of four I was seriously certain I never wanted to become a violinist. not only do you need to be the best of the best to earn a slightly decent income, you need to be the best of the best. so not only is the income lousy - your bread, your roof, your bed.. your existence suddenly depends on something that originally comes from something as pure as creativity. you need to practice your fucking butt off to make a decent living. so you need to exploit your own passion. sucks, right? well, I think it does. how is that still creative, spontaneous & inspiring?

besides, the only ones who are disciplined enough to kill & murder a passion to that extent (with such passion), are Chinese. yes, Vanessa Mae, I mean YOU.

the_GoDdEsS
12-04-2006, 01:43 PM
If you could take home the good things from it, it would be good. But in reality it's completely different. Most of the time you just want to forget it, you don't want to hear or talk about it. Most of the time it's about luck.

the_GoDdEsS
12-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Bella, I disagree. Look at geniuses. Schubert, Mozart. Exploited till they DIED of it. And yet, because they created in fever, they created the pinnacles of lyricism, their works are cherished to this day. And why? BECAUSE they were pressed by circumstances, BECAUSE they HAD to create or die of hunger, BECAUSE they were strained. Sometimes imperious necessity brings out the best in humans.

Of course talent is necessary. But talent is not all it takes. If they hadn't been so pressed, they'd have relaxed in gentility, & laziness, & put up their feet up the mantelpiece.

Maybe but did they esentially have to deal with other people? They got sucked up by their own passion, maybe. Passion is good for work. But it's not the same as other kinds of jobs.

I don't think you can compare an artist quite to somebody who has to deal with complicated issues such as people. May it be a doctor or whoever.

JoY
12-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Bella, I disagree. Look at geniuses. Schubert, Mozart. Exploited till they DIED of it. And yet, because they created in fever, they created the pinnacles of lyricism, their works are cherished to this day. And why? BECAUSE they were pressed by circumstances, BECAUSE they HAD to create or die of hunger, BECAUSE they were strained. Sometimes imperious necessity brings out the best in humans.

Of course talent is necessary. But talent is not all it takes. If they hadn't been so pressed, they'd have relaxed in gentility, & laziness, & put up their feet up the mantelpiece.

oh, but dudette, those men were all insane! or at least they all came with a manual the size of the Bible, when it came to social interaction. they heard music in their heads ALL. DAY. LONG. if that ain't a hint to write it down, I don't know what is. you name, well, quite the composers, chika. they were good at what they did & knowing the arrogance most of them possessed when it came to their musical skills, they were well aware of this fact. like some consider an education in medicine a calling, becoming the greatest musicians in the world was a calling to them. when something's a calling, you can't deny it, or ignore it. oh poor Ludwig van Beethoven... imagine what it's like to hear music in your freakin' head, trying to realise it on paper to bring it to the world, but you can't even hear it. he couldn't even hear the applause at one point. why do you think his later works were so loud? poor guy. all he had left at one point were the sounds in his mind.

bottom line; they didn't really have a choice. either it was all they were good at, all they knew, all they could possible do, or a mixture of those factors. when having a choice, I wouldn't ever do it. I have a choice, or well, I had a choice. & I made it carefully & don't regret it. though I miss many aspects of having violin lessons & playing classical music. not that I entirely don't, but it's different when you do it on the side.

killer_queen
12-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Bella, that... sucks. Really, I didn't think about it. Like I said, House made me want to decide and he never cares about the patients, he only cares about the diseases. I guess I'll always need your opinions and experiences until I become a doctor. I feel lucky for knowing you.

JoY
12-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Maybe but did they esentially have to deal with other people? They got sucked up by their own passion, maybe. Passion is good for work. But it's not the same as other kinds of jobs.

I don't think you can compare an artist quite to somebody who has to deal with complicated issues such as people. May it be a doctor or whoever.

to be creative in a creative field.. is.. logical. it's obligatory, basically. everyone in that field is/tries to be & you'll easily be beaten by people, who are even more creative, more inspired, more disciplined & more talented.

to be creative in an empirical field on a different level is what partly has drawn me to medicine. duh, you do your own thing in art, I may certainly hope so. but when you can apply your creativity to a standardised study.. *sigh* I like the thought of that challenge so much.

wheelchairman
12-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Hi! I'm 20 and haven't chosen.

I'm taking one of those educations where you get a mix of everything within a certain range. (So I got a range of Political Science - Sociology).

Rocky-girl
12-04-2006, 02:16 PM
I'll say that it's very hard to find a profession that you'll totally like. First of all you have to think what problems you'll have if you become a medicine and will you be able to get though it.

As for me I could never understood biology! Good luck!

JoY
12-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Bella, that... sucks. Really, I didn't think about it. Like I said, House made me want to decide and he never cares about the patients, he only cares about the diseases. I guess I'll always need your opinions and experiences until I become a doctor. I feel lucky for knowing you.

don't be discouraged. <3
of course you're going to care about the patients. you know what it is? like I said every disease will express itself differently in different people & different people will react to/deal with disease differently. the way people tell you about their health problems is directly & indirectly part of their character. diseases are internalised, one with the persons they house in. you can't seperate the disease from the patient, because one person will come to you with an itch on the back & the other will come to you days after he/she broke his/her arm in three places. one cancerpatient will tell you he/she is afraid the family will be without him/her, the other will tell you he/she is afraid of the pain he/she is going to suffer. sickness brings emotions, fears & threat. these are all very personal things.

you don't need my opinions & experiences, babe. you're a smart girl, I'm certain you'll figure everything out for yourself. & once you do, you'll find your own way of dealing with things & it'll work much better than my opinions & experiences, because they'll be yours. just don't try to standardise everything, because then you're either going to diagnose people with a sickness when they're healthy, or miss a diagnosis in people who are sick. give it your own twist, every doc needs their personal way of approaching patients, listening & talking to/with patients & treating patients. just your personal way that works for you.

killer_queen
12-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Still, I don't know anyone who can give me advice about it. I just have a cousin who's studying medicine but she always tells me how bad it is because she simply doesn't want me to be a doctor. Ugh, cousins...:mad:

Tizzalicious
12-04-2006, 02:36 PM
I think it's hard for a lot of people. I thought I knew what I wanted, but now I really don't see myself being a translator. I just don't like it. There is nothing that I do think I would like more though.

Don't listen to your cousin, or anyone, for that matter, it's different for everyone, one person likes something, the other one hates it, so I don't think anyone can actually give you advice on what to study. Unless of course they give facts.

the_GoDdEsS
12-04-2006, 02:38 PM
I think it's hard for a lot of people. I thought I knew what I wanted, but now I really don't see myself being a translator. I just don't like it. There is nothing that I do think I would like more though.

Don't listen to your cousin, or anyone, for that matter, it's different for everyone, one person likes something, the other one hates it, so I don't think anyone can actually give you advice on what to study. Unless of course they give facts.

Agreed, completely. I think this pretty much sums up everything.

Bazza
12-04-2006, 02:43 PM
I remember doing tests at school which were supposed to predict what degree courses best suited you. Mine all came up with engineering, which I hate. The only reason it picked those courses was because I'm good at maths and physics. However I hated those subjects. So it's best to do what you enjoy and not something that you may be good at but would hate doing for the rest of your life. At the end of the day it's up to you to decide and know one else.

JoY
12-04-2006, 02:47 PM
bad? girl, it's fantastic! whatta cousin. (so subjective)

if you like the idea of gathering information to come to a diagnosis, solving the case/problem & helping someone in effect, spending your time studying human health & human behaviour, you're going to fucking love it. I swear. imagine what it feels like, when later in our lives, if we'd end up as doctors, improve someone's HEALTH. health, girl. health means so fucking much. if this idea doesn't tickle your senses, you're looking in the wrong direction, career-wise. but if it does, you're most likely going to like it.

you're smart. you have options. you can choose what you want to do & what you want to become. what luxury. what do you want to spend your years doing for a career? most of the times there isn't just one answer. there isn't a right, or correct answer, especially if you have diverse qualities & interests. there's only possibly going to be an answer that's going to be better than any other. that'll suit you better, or that'll turn out better. don't try to choose between what you're good at & what you like to do. most of the times you become good at what you like, because it inspires you to get better & better at it.

my advice might as well come out of a magazine. don't pay too much attention to it. somehow it helped my roommate in choosing a study for herself & she chose the option that suited her best. I'm not trying to convince you to study a certain something, you just need to think about it. or maybe you've thought about it so much, your past, present & future thoughts are blocking your mind & instincts. in that case try to empty your head & listen to your intuition more.

like I said; worthless advice with the potential to be useful.

Tired_Of_You
12-04-2006, 02:48 PM
I think the tests they give you can make you learn a little about yourself, but I found them to be rather useless. I didn't learn anything new with that. However, I think seeing a counselor might be a good thing. The second counselor I saw gave me information I couldn't have possibly found at the library, internet, etc.

JoY
12-04-2006, 02:49 PM
& I fully agree with Tizz, by the way, who was faster than me as always.

Llamas
12-04-2006, 09:19 PM
No shit????

haha I did get my crack-up there, sorry was too good. Well, quite surprisingly, I like money, too.

It's not a given for people to like money. I hate money with a passion, even when I have plenty of it. I want money because I need it to survive, but overall, I literally hate money.

Anyway, in response to the thread.

When I was 8 I decided I wanted to be a principal. When I was 12, I realized that principals had to teach first. So I wanted to teach music. When I was 15, I decided that I wanted to teach biology and music at the highschool level. I was told by more than one very credible source that, at my playing ability when I was 16, I could've gotten into any music school in the US. In the following two years, I was no longer able to take lessons, and my passion died. Come college, I was unmotivated in music, so I dropped it to a hobby. I studied biology for 3 1/2 years. I loved biology and ecology and evolution and animal diversity and plant function... but I found that I detested calculus, chemistry and physics with ever cell in my body. I would literally feel sick to my stomach while walking to class. I still feel sick when I walk past the math building or go inside the chemistry building.

The thing is, music is the only thing I did that I was REALLY GOOD at and I loved. Biology I was decent to good at, and I loved it. Well I had quit german altogether in college, but last year I was short a few credits due to prerequisites. So I randomly decided to retake the last german course I had taken 4 years prior. I went through a huge fallout with science and almost dropped out of school. Stopped going to classes, stopped going to work (where I worked for an entomology lab)... and then I realized the only good thing in my life was my german class. It got me through, and so did my professor. I switched my major to german studies.

Since I've always been really good at teaching, and I LOVE people and teaching, it was basically a matter of what I wanted to teach. In order to teach music, you have to live in a practice room and learn the mathematics of music. In order to teach biology, you have to learn calculus and biochemistry and lock yourself in labs. But German... well, since you're very limited in what you can do with German, the degree is much more driven toward teaching language. In music ed, you do learn to teach, but in biology, you don't. In german, you do. And that's important to me.

Another thing about german is that I'm doing something I really believe in, particularly minoring in ESL. I have always been annoyed my whole life when people are not understanding of cultural differences, or when people live in a new country and don't learn the language. Well now I'm making a difference in that.

I place a lot more emphasis on doing what you LOOOOOVE than on doing what you're good at. I had countless science profs who were absolute geniuses. These were some of the top researchers in the nation. Yet they were the worst teachers ever. It was because they had no passion for what they were doing. It felt like they had a passion for making money and being at the top... but not for teaching others, or for sharing their knowledge. The best teachers I've had were not as knowledgable, and struggled a lot in their degrees... but did it because of their love for it. So that's how I know I'm on the right path.

I'm so glad that you figured out what you want to do. That's such a relief when that happens! :)

Nina
12-05-2006, 01:16 AM
I'm also glad you figured out what you want to do, Gülsah! I hope it's the right thing for you and that you'll be able to study medicine soon.

I've always wanted to study psychology. Unfortunately I am not allowed to study it, unless I wait for like three and a half years. I like the subject so much that I would wait, but the problem is that the entire thing itself needs TEN YEARS of studying (and not having money), which makes it impossible for me to wait. I'm not willing to be done with everything and actually start to work when I am 32.

So I have now applied for Media Design. I made a portfolio and gave it in half a week ago. I am pretty sure they wont take me because there are like 350 people who apply and 16 of them get in.

I'm really fucking desperate because I want to DO something.
"working" is not enough, I definitely want to study. It's just my way, I'm certain about that.
Any suggestions?

the_GoDdEsS
12-05-2006, 01:23 AM
Ten years?? What crazy system do you have? I mean, I should know since I did study at a German uni for some time but that was just a temporary thing so the whole deal did not bother me that much. That's pretty insane. I'm sure you have the ECTS system too. At least I finished in five years because I crammed all of my classes into each semester and that way I had a lot of work and even more exams, but I wanted out and it did not bother me as I always passed all of them unlike other people. It was good we had that option. Some of the people who studied with me are still stuck there. Basically you can study for five or longer. All up to you.

Llamas
12-05-2006, 01:24 AM
Nina, question. Have you ever considered schooling outside of Germany? I know you're not exactly lucky with money... but is it a possibility?

Nina
12-05-2006, 01:27 AM
Ten years?? What crazy system do you have? I mean, I should know since I did study at a German uni for some time but that was just a temporary thing so the whole deal did not bother me that much. That's pretty insane. I'm sure you have the ECTS system too. At least I finished in five years because I crammed all of my classes into each semester and that way I had a lot of work and even more exams, but I wanted out and it did not bother me as I always passed all of them unlike other people. It was good we had that option. Some of the people who studied with me are still stuck there. Basically you can study for five or longer. All up to you.

Hm no, that's the shortest period of time I've listed. I didnt even consider that it might be difficult and that I'd need to repeat exams/semesters. I dont just want to study psychology, I want to make my doctor in it, maybe that explains the time period :]

BTW I wrote you an email, in case you didnt see it!

Nina, question. Have you ever considered schooling outside of Germany? I know you're not exactly lucky with money... but is it a possibility?

Yeah of course I have, but as you said yourself, I cant do any of it because of the money. And I am not good enough to get scholarships. So it's unfortunately not an option.

the_GoDdEsS
12-05-2006, 01:31 AM
Hm no, that's the shortest period of time I've listed. I didnt even consider that it might be difficult and that I'd need to repeat exams/semesters. I dont just want to study psychology, I want to make my doctor in it, maybe that explains the time period :]

Aaaah, doctorate. Sure thing then :) I thought you meant a regular master's program.

calichix
12-05-2006, 03:13 AM
I wish everyone went into useful professions like healthcare. Things like psychology will be the end of it all. People who are really good with numbers and LIKE math are SO impressive. I hope it happens, that'd be epic if you became the greatest doctor or whatever on the planet and we all pretend we were BFFZ with you like people always do when an aquaintance gets famous.. or. dies. ANYWAY, you go gurrrrl!

Isolated Fury
12-05-2006, 08:17 AM
I'm currently majoring in secondary English education, but I realized something in the past few months. I don't think that I can handle the thought of molding young people for the future. The thought of having that much of an impact on their lives is... too intense for me. After this semester I'm going to change my major, but I don't know what I want to change it to. I was thinking about taking German as an education major. It's still teaching, which is what I've always wanted to do, but it's not as immense, I guess you could say. Another choice of mine was humanities, but I don't know what I'd do with a degree in humanities. I'm just really confused with what I want to do in the future. And having these second thoughts in the middle of my sophomore year isn't exactly perfect.

On a side note, it feels weird posting right now. I hate only seeing my name on the topics I respond to as the last poster. The seldom times that I post, no one else does. Creepy.

noodlesfan
12-05-2006, 08:37 AM
I just saw a documentary on Sundance yesterday about street musicians, so I'm going to learn the blues and see how well that works out.

the_GoDdEsS
12-05-2006, 08:53 AM
I don't think that I can handle the thought of molding young people for the future. The thought of having that much of an impact on their lives is... too intense for me. After this semester I'm going to change my major, but I don't know what I want to change it to. I was thinking about taking German as an education major. It's still teaching, which is what I've always wanted to do, but it's not as immense, I guess you could say. Another choice of mine was humanities, but I don't know what I'd do with a degree in humanities.

Why not being able to handle it? That's one of the fun parts of it all, if you disregard the patience factor. The problem with humanities is, you rarely get to have a materialistic outcome of the whole job. However, implementing something into the minds of any age category can at times be quite fascinating. I've found out I have quite a deep motivational and cognitive impact on my students. And I'd like to take it to a higher level in the future, not just in the classroom. Or maybe do something completely different anyway.

Isolated Fury
12-05-2006, 09:12 AM
I just don't think that I could handle the pressure, really. I feel like if I make one mistake, it could horribly affect my students' lives. I'm getting tired of English anyway. Haha.

Little_Miss_1565
12-05-2006, 09:23 AM

I know it sounds funny and stupid in a kind of way but that's the truth.

That's cool. Watching House helped me determine my life goals too--I want to do the living hell out of Hugh Laurie. ;)

EDIT:

Fuck, yes. The other decision of mine is to rape him at least for ten times.

Damn you beat me to it.

But to seriously answer your question, I realized I wanted to work in the music industry when I was a freshman in college. I had been interested in it before then, but working at my college radio station sealed the deal. And now here I am!

Isolated Fury
12-05-2006, 09:26 AM
Sounds like an angry-fuck. Only without the angry.

calichix
12-06-2006, 11:35 AM
zomg, yeats rules.

killer_queen
12-06-2006, 11:50 AM
That's cool. Watching House helped me determine my life goals too--I want to do the living hell out of Hugh Laurie. ;)
Actually I don't find him that sexy when he talks with his British accent. But while watching house I can't stop my drooling. Anyway, I'm glad that you like him. Some people just don't understand why I like him so much.

JohnnyNemesis
12-06-2006, 11:51 AM
You're all making me wish I was an exceptionally unattractive, yet charismatic actor. :(

Paint_It_Black
12-07-2006, 01:05 AM
I was unsure of what to do with my life, but now I've decided to become Hugh Laurie.

Betty
12-07-2006, 02:36 AM
Hahahahaha... that made me burst out laughing. And that is why I love you Richard.

I am the type of person who is pretty much good at everything. At least school subject-wise. Math, physics, biology, chemistry, english, french, social studies, phys-ed, visual arts, yup.

I decided I wanted to pursue the sciences, because (a) it was more concrete and what I deemed an education more worthy to spend money on in terms of ressources and future job payoff and I could study social studies/languages in my own time in theory and (b) I don't particularly enjoy writing essays. I'm good at it, but very slow, and don't have that exceptional knack that a few people have.

Then I narrowed down sciences to Chemistry. Physics is too abstract and too much math and formulas. Biology is too much rote memorization and I'm realizing more and more that my long-term memory sucks ass. I've finished one degree and am now working on a PhD. I don't love it, but I enjoy it. I don't know if I would have preferred anything else. And the practical aspect is pretty neat.

My next job involves planning my career and since I am genetically a leader, I want to run a company, or at least be one of the people involved in management/administration. I don't know if I'll be able to get there on a PhD and amazing skills alone, or if I'll need something else. I'm vaguely considering an MBA.

Anyway, if you do have a passion for something, I'd imagine I wouldn't dissuade you from trying to pursue it. But if you're heading down the "well, it's something I can kinda see myself doing and it will lead to a good job" path, I think that's totally respectable.

Llamas
12-07-2006, 02:49 AM
I decided I wanted to pursue the sciences, because (a) it was more concrete and what I deemed an education more worthy to spend money on in terms of ressources and future job payoff and I could study social studies/languages in my own time in theory and (b) I don't particularly enjoy writing essays. I'm good at it, but very slow, and don't have that exceptional knack that a few people have.
I'm your computer opposite, haha. I started with the sciences and switched to always writing thousands of papers instead of taking tests. Tests can die!

Biology is too much rote memorization
That's just because 60% of biology teachers don't know how to teach it... :( as a science, biology requires no more memorization than chemistry or physics. However, most biology teachers are inadequate and find it easier to teach it as memorization. It is easier to teach it that way, but it's much harder to learn. Saddening, because it turns soooo many people like you away from biology.