PDA

View Full Version : New Journal

RageAndLov
12-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Recording - Week 3 (Dexter)
12/05/06

Working on guitar tracks this week. Really happy with the way guitars are sounding. So far the songs we‘ve done have all been straight up guitar songs, no keyboards or samples or anything. We didn‘t really set out to do it that way, it‘s just sort of turning out that way. We‘ve got eight tracks that we‘re working on right now. Most likely all of them will be on the record. We‘ll be writing more over the holidays and record those ideas early next year.

Dexter

__________________________________________________ _______________

Well this is mor interesting than the last post. This one actually tells us that they've 8 tracks which will be on the ne record.
what do u think?

Da Hui
12-05-2006, 11:11 AM
"no keyboards or samples or anything"

great... they are going to be including more of the elements not many of us like :(

StayInTheHouseCarl
12-05-2006, 11:19 AM

great... they are going to be including more of the elements not many of us like :(

can you read?

they said so far the songs have none of those things.... that doesn't necessarily mean them are going to ADD them later.

Forza
12-05-2006, 11:21 AM

Man, I wanted keyboards and samples!

forcyn
12-05-2006, 11:24 AM
that sounds pretty good for me. at least we know that something happens...

DexterWannabe
12-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Man, I wanted keyboards and samples!

then i suggest you go and listen to depeche mode

Hypodermic_89
12-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Fuckin' A. Great that Dex keeps us posted :)

DeAtHsTaR
12-05-2006, 11:58 AM
I have a feeling that this is going to be an amazing album.

ZagmenO
12-05-2006, 12:09 PM
I have a feeling that this is going to be an amazing album.

I second that. By the way things sound. This album is gonna be all rock and no pop. The pop was good the first few albums but one more with pop and it would just get a little old.

Biggest offspring fan
12-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Yepp it's good news. I don't want another poppy album ether allot of guitar sounds good. But they had 13 songs before now they are just working on 8 of them, and they are going to write more. That means (if i can do math) that they took of 5 songs.

Little_Miss_1565
12-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Dexter is awesome.

Sinister
12-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Either that, or they're not working on them just yet. Either way, it all sounds like good news.

DeAtHsTaR
12-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Yepp it's good news. I don't want another poppy album ether allot of guitar sounds good. But they had 13 songs before now they are just working on 8 of them, and they are going to write more. That means (if i can do math) that they took of 5 songs.

I think it means that they're just working on 8 songs at the moment.

Jakebert
12-05-2006, 12:45 PM
I doubt that the entire album will be done without keyboards and samples. I'm not saying there will be songs that rely on them, but I doubt there's going to be no songs on the whole thing that don't use some kind of keyboard in the background of a song to make it sound bigger or something.

Jojan
12-05-2006, 12:45 PM
http://myfilestash.com/userfiles/hakimaki/borat.bmp

DexterWannabe
12-05-2006, 12:49 PM
no dumbass, they can't work on 13 song at the same time, they're taking piece by piece

Biggest offspring fan
12-05-2006, 12:58 PM
So they are working on 8 songs first and then the last 5 songs, i don't think so dumbass.

Amiralanal
12-05-2006, 01:01 PM
So they are working on 8 songs first and then the last 5 songs, i don't think so dumbass.

You are the dumbass! Youre the dumbest fucking dumbass since the beginning of dumbasses

Jakebert
12-05-2006, 01:05 PM

They can't work on all 13 songs at the same time, it's too much to do. Every song has to be completely looked at from every possible angle, and completely disected and rebuilt. It takes days, sometimes weeks, to finish a single song, so doing 13 at once wouldn't work. I'm surprised that they're working on 8 at the same time, actually.

Oxygene
12-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Uh I don't want to intervene, or act superior or anything of that sort, but I also don't wanna see the sensless stupid flaming that's starting so...
Coming from someone who has actually at one point recorded an album:
the reasons they can be working on 8 songs now is basically infinte, but most likely it's something practical
-maybe dexter only has guitar parts in 8 (of the 13 or however many) songs and he's laying HIS tracks down
-maybe the rig they've set up to record with is like a "usual" setup and required in 8 songs and they might want to experiment with the rest of the songs, with different amps guitars etc.
-maybe these 8 songs are finalized structure wise (verse chorus bridge you know the drill) while the rest aren't, and they just don't wanna lay down tracks untill they are

there could be a million reasons, infact 8 is my lucky number and dexter knows that, so maybe that's why :) you don't know.. but this certainly doesn't have ANY implications, so for you guys to fight over this, and esp flame is just silly :) so stop it all of you! :p

RageAndLov
12-05-2006, 01:34 PM
im just glad dexter gave us a post with something we didnt know about from before. maybe dexter read the comments from us when he posted the last post, and thought he would tell us something new this time? :D

Venom Symbiote
12-05-2006, 01:44 PM
This album is gonna be all rock and no pop. The pop was good the first few albums but one more with pop and it would just get a little old.

You're an idiot. We have absolutely nothing to substantiate that. Fuck, I mean, I agree that may be the direction they're going, but do not expect an entire album of "Mota"s. You know damn well that isn't the way this band works, so stop spewing this type of shit. "Pop" is relative. "Come Out And Play" was pop. Yet it has balls. It's a great heavy-hitting song. Every Offspring album has "pop" songs, yes, even S/T ("Jennifer Lost The War" and "I'll Be Waiting" loosely fit the requirements, despite their raw production sound) and Ignition ("Dirty Magic", should they have broken the mainstream at the time, would have had just as much radio play as "Gone Away" - easily).

We'll get the pop with the rock, just the same. It's just the pop might not be all goofy and funky and/or acoustic ballad-y. It may be pop rock like "Can't Get My Head Around You" or "Million Miles Away". Which I would be fucking fine with. But we will get a song or two like that, even if it's "Pass Me By" taking the ballad role.

As for the news, it's good to hear he's given us something more meaty to discuss. Seems like our bitching does pay off.

Although, in all honesty, this is making that tentative April release date sound a little less concrete. Recording the second half of the album "early next year" after taking a break over Christmas (hey, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, haha - of course they'll break)...that makes things more sketchy. They might not finish recording 'till March or something.

ZagmenO
12-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Some of those songs you listed as pop don't sound like it to me. Million Miles, Jennifer, etc. Yea, I would love songs like those on the new album. By pop I meant Pretty Fly & Hit That. Those were the type o' songs they should not include do to the fact they were just one time type o' things. They are a punk/pop band so they are gonna add some "pop rock" songs.

Venom Symbiote
12-05-2006, 02:22 PM
The thing you've gotta understand is, those songs when done well kick ass. "Come Out And Play", "Pretty Fly", "Hit That". All awesome.

It's when they misfire that we get bullshit like "Original Prankster" and "Worst Hangover Ever".

Since there's no way to guarantee which way those songs are going to end up, I'd like it if they left them off too. But, if they know they have a solid idea and can produce another kickass, fun, light-hearted pop-song with guts like the first three, I say go for it. Why not?

It's better having an amazing song with a goofy undertone than a shitty shitty horrible shitty-titty fuck fuck (vocabulary, yay!) 'serious' and 'heavy' song like "Race Against Myself".

Pop songs can be great, or they can be lame. Although, I think what you're overlooking is: so can rock songs. Splinter is the best example of this you'll ever see.

EDIT: I love Million Miles Away about as much as Natalie fucking Portman (it's super-happy-awesome-o), but you're telling me you don't hear the generic mid-paced radio-friendly crunchy mainstream rock vibe there? It's almost new-school Bon Jovi. Slow it down and you almost have a fucking power ballad.

nameless
12-05-2006, 03:07 PM
good update, but it would be nice to know (though not essential) whether the drums will eventually be done by josh or atom!

HeadAroundU
12-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Well, Atom would be an idiot for not having a time to lay down the drums for this phenomenal band as a permanent member. Sorry, no Josh this time. It's bullshit.

Gayman
12-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Great news. Thank you Dexter for it.

DarrellOCguy
12-05-2006, 05:34 PM
"writing more over the holidays"

maybe theyll write a christmas song. If they do it better make me want to thrash around and not get bored with half ass electronic noises and sound effects. HIT THAT *cough cough*.

that pop shit is really getting old.

momo1tx
12-05-2006, 05:45 PM
that pop shit is really getting old.

Just like The Offspring.

DarrellOCguy
12-05-2006, 05:49 PM
well i cant go that far but everyones entitled to an opinion for sure

Ninty Man
12-05-2006, 06:08 PM
The thing you've gotta understand is, those songs when done well kick ass. "Come Out And Play", "Pretty Fly", "Hit That". All awesome.

It's when they misfire that we get bullshit like "Original Prankster" and "Worst Hangover Ever".

Since there's no way to guarantee which way those songs are going to end up, I'd like it if they left them off too. But, if they know they have a solid idea and can produce another kickass, fun, light-hearted pop-song with guts like the first three, I say go for it. Why not?

It's better having an amazing song with a goofy undertone than a shitty shitty horrible shitty-titty fuck fuck (vocabulary, yay!) 'serious' and 'heavy' song like "Race Against Myself".

Pop songs can be great, or they can be lame. Although, I think what you're overlooking is: so can rock songs. Splinter is the best example of this you'll ever see.

EDIT: I love Million Miles Away about as much as Natalie fucking Portman (it's super-happy-awesome-o), but you're telling me you don't hear the generic mid-paced radio-friendly crunchy mainstream rock vibe there? It's almost new-school Bon Jovi. Slow it down and you almost have a fucking power ballad.

Dude... hands up.. for your commentary and your avatar (Aliens rox)

78 Water
12-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Actually, I think his avatar is some weird creature from Spider-Man. But I could be wrong about that.

Llamas
12-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Some of those songs you listed as pop don't sound like it to me. Million Miles, Jennifer, etc. Yea, I would love songs like those on the new album. By pop I meant Pretty Fly & Hit That. Those were the type o' songs they should not include do to the fact they were just one time type o' things. They are a punk/pop band so they are gonna add some "pop rock" songs.

a song doesn't have to have electronic sounds to be pop. Every single offspring song is, by definition, pop in some ways. None of their songs are STRICTLY pop... but they all have a lot of pop in their structure and sound.

Little_Miss_1565
12-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Since some of you didn't seem to see it the first time:

Coming from someone who has actually at one point recorded an album:
the reasons they can be working on 8 songs now is basically infinte, but most likely it's something practical
-maybe dexter only has guitar parts in 8 (of the 13 or however many) songs and he's laying HIS tracks down
-maybe the rig they've set up to record with is like a "usual" setup and required in 8 songs and they might want to experiment with the rest of the songs, with different amps guitars etc.
-maybe these 8 songs are finalized structure wise (verse chorus bridge you know the drill) while the rest aren't, and they just don't wanna lay down tracks untill they are

there could be a million reasons, infact 8 is my lucky number and dexter knows that, so maybe that's why :) you don't know.. but this certainly doesn't have ANY implications, so for you guys to fight over this, and esp flame is just silly :) so stop it all of you! :p

JohnnyNemesis
12-05-2006, 06:17 PM
All that stuff Venom said

I completely agree about 1,000,000%.

I'd add "Hit That" to the list of kickass songs, however. I know many people disliked it, but I seriously fucking love it.

Little_Miss_1565
12-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Also in case anyone missed it the first time, since JN didn't quote it in full (which is a shame! nosex4u).

You're an idiot. We have absolutely nothing to substantiate that. Fuck, I mean, I agree that may be the direction they're going, but do not expect an entire album of "Mota"s. You know damn well that isn't the way this band works, so stop spewing this type of shit. "Pop" is relative. "Come Out And Play" was pop. Yet it has balls. It's a great heavy-hitting song. Every Offspring album has "pop" songs, yes, even S/T ("Jennifer Lost The War" and "I'll Be Waiting" loosely fit the requirements, despite their raw production sound) and Ignition ("Dirty Magic", should they have broken the mainstream at the time, would have had just as much radio play as "Gone Away" - easily).

We'll get the pop with the rock, just the same. It's just the pop might not be all goofy and funky and/or acoustic ballad-y. It may be pop rock like "Can't Get My Head Around You" or "Million Miles Away". Which I would be fucking fine with. But we will get a song or two like that, even if it's "Pass Me By" taking the ballad role.

As for the news, it's good to hear he's given us something more meaty to discuss. Seems like our bitching does pay off.

Although, in all honesty, this is making that tentative April release date sound a little less concrete. Recording the second half of the album "early next year" after taking a break over Christmas (hey, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, haha - of course they'll break)...that makes things more sketchy. They might not finish recording 'till March or something.

Little_Miss_1565
12-05-2006, 06:44 PM
*Cough, cough*

Take it to General Chat please.

Venom Symbiote
12-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Yeah, beat me to it, haha. Was about to suggest that little idea.

Little_Miss_1565
12-05-2006, 06:57 PM
I just found a fun little trick that lets me move posts into a new thread in another forum. If you go to GC, there it is.

http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26973

Venom Symbiote
12-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Hardcore. Gotcha, chief.

jacknife737
12-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Great news, lets hope for more updates.

zacsta
12-06-2006, 02:33 AM
thats awesome news,
*adds to the gradually growing pile of good feelings about the new album*

i suppose this means we probably wont get another update till early next year?

forcyn
12-06-2006, 02:48 AM
some of you says that they don't want 'poppy' [whatever it means for them] song on a new album but I'm sure that most of them will be like 'oh-how-awesome-the-new-album-is' even if it's more like Britney than Offspring. sad but true.

EDIT: I mean... Don't get me wrong, I don't think that the new album will be more like Britney than Offspring

Autonomist
12-06-2006, 03:26 AM
Gah, Dexter's doing the annoying news-but-no-real-news thing again.

Venom Symbiote
12-06-2006, 03:33 AM
Hey, it wasn't anywhere near as bad this time. I was bitching about his last journal entry (which was the very definition of "news post with no news"), but ease up on him about this one.

It was thorough, but we did learn something. Give the guy a break.

Peedr
12-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Great news today! Thanks....Dexter :)

German Andres
12-06-2006, 09:35 AM
"no keyboards or samples". Excellent! I think it will be the best album. Intuition, I guess.:D

Oxygene
12-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Since some of you didn't seem to see it the first time:

hey thanks for trying, but people don't actually give a fuck, they just wanna go at each other :)

Little_Miss_1565
12-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Believe me, I know. But for some reason I keep hoping...

Oxygene
12-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Believe me, I know. But for some reason I keep hoping...

Well I'll always be on your side :)

nightvision
12-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Happy Chanukah.

Jizzy Jeff Punk Man
12-07-2006, 04:04 AM
YAY! Straight up guitar songs are awesome. I wonder if they'll actually have something besides one of their main 3 chord structures.......nah, probably not. But they'll still be awesome!

NMHFBD
12-07-2006, 11:57 AM
you talk about how awesome their pop songs are, like pretty fly and hit that...yeah! especially "Give it to me baby - Uh uh!" right?
Hit That would be better without keyboards...

Grabbal
12-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Hit That would be better without keyboards...[/QUOTE]

I don't know about that... Guess it would feel kinda empty or something...
But I don't have anything against them taking keyboards and samples of the new one though!!

forcyn
12-07-2006, 12:57 PM
you talk about how awesome their pop songs are, like pretty fly and hit that...yeah! especially "Give it to me baby - Uh uh!" right?
Hit That would be better without keyboards...

I don't think it would sound better... first couple of seconds is just drums and not that much of guitar. as Grabbal said, it would be empty somehow.

Venom Symbiote
12-07-2006, 01:31 PM
YAY! Straight up guitar songs are awesome.

:rolleyes: They won't all be straight-up guitar songs.

Omni
12-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Eh, I actually liked Original Prankster. But, you're right, Venom. As far as the mainstream public goes, Dirty Magic remains an undiscovered gem. They should include it slightly reworked on this album and make it one of their singles.

Venom Symbiote
12-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Don't put words in my mouth. I never fucking said that, and I think it's a horrible horrible idea and that you should be mocked and ridiculed for even suggesting that.

"Dirty Magic" shouldn't even be on the new album, and it probably won't. Extra track on a single or something is where it belongs.

Omni
12-07-2006, 07:15 PM
What words did I put in your mouth, exactly?

pretty_fly_white_guy858
12-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Yeah you didnt put any words in his mouth..I dont think

Apathy
12-09-2006, 10:00 PM
It would be right where you changed

"Dirty Magic should they have broken the mainstream at the time, would have had just as much radio play as Gone Away - easily"

into

But, you're right, Venom. As far as the mainstream public goes, Dirty Magic remains an undiscovered gem. They should include it slightly reworked on this album and make it one of their singles

Venom Symbiote
12-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Bada bing bada bingo.