PDA

View Full Version : Venom

Venom Symbiote
12-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Whoa! Dude, Ninty Man, I'm actually really grateful for that. I've been saying that about Venom (yeah, it's one of the bad guys in the upcoming Spiderman 3, not from Alien/Aliens/Alien3/Ressurection) since the footage was released. "People are going to think he's from the Alien movies".

Grr, it's the eyes. The eyes aren't freaky and wild enough. I know what you mean, and while I know it's Venom (where obviously my screenname comes from - lame lack of imagination on my part) since I was a rabid fan as a kid, most people are going to think "cheap rip-off".

I appreciate that. :)

He's essentially an alien suit that Spiderman rejects, a nut-job finds it and turns into a vengeful killer. That's the abridged version. He's pure rawk.

78 Water
12-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Venom's gonna be in the new movie? That'll totally rule.

By the way, I think it looks freaky enough.:eek:

Venom Symbiote
12-05-2006, 07:35 PM
It's not as great as you might think. I think the character aspect will be handled well (Raimi is an awesome director), but the design...he's not any bigger than Spidey. He's a "dark-side" Spiderman, just an evil version with teeth. Me no likey.

Not to mention Topher Grace (that little dweeby guy from That 70's Show) is playing Eddie Brock/Venom. Fine, fair enough for the journalist/photographer aspect, and I think he understands the character pretty well, being a personal fan of the comics. But Brock's a bodybuilder. I mean, I'm skinny and goofy, and could beat the fuck out of Topher Grace. Venom's meant to be like 6'4/6'5 and built like he could physically trash Batman or Captain America or something. Topher would make an awesome Peter Parker if they re-cast, actually, but he's much too small for Venom.

I'm worried this will be another "Darth Vader is actually a crybaby teen kid with a mullet" moment.

Still...Venom. Been waiting like 15 years to see this on the big screen, so should be nice.

78 Water
12-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Topher Grace? This reminds me of when Ashton Cutcher acted in the Butterfly Effect.

He may work out though. He'll probably have to for the stunts, unless he has a double, or it's computer animated, or whatever. Or just to look good.

This may sound dumb, but did Venom ever show his real face? Like take off his costume?

Venom Symbiote
12-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Yeah. The suit is alive, and can kind of retract over his face. He can also turn it into any piece of clothing he wants, making him like extra creepy being able to pass as just about anyone. There's a bit in the comics where he's in jail, turns his suit into a guard's uniform, and just walks out of there slaying everyone.

Heh. Badass.

Little_Miss_1565
12-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Wow, that's a neat trick. Moving off-topic conversations from a thread in one forum to a new thread in another!

Venom Symbiote
12-05-2006, 08:03 PM
The difficulty of it all!

Little_Miss_1565
12-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Quite easy, actually! Much easier and less aggravation than trying to enforce warnings.

Anyway. I've had trouble getting into movies based on graphic novels, bar V for Vendetta. Is it a girl thing?

Venom Symbiote
12-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Maybe, yeah. I mean, I'm not really a hardcore fan or anything, the only comics I own are like randomly bought as a kid, all out of order and different story arcs and shit. But I guess the whole "superheroes!" thing is just in guy's blood. We love that shit.

But the V For Vendetta movie was bad. That's about the only "indie arthouse" comic I've read. The movie pulled its punches, trying to be controversial but just ending up removing the actually disturbing stuff and replacing it with much more emphasis on the gay thing.

Little_Miss_1565
12-05-2006, 09:17 PM
But I <3 postmodernism...

I like the occasional slash-and-burn comic book movie now and again, though. I'm intrigued by the Topher Grace/Venom thing, though that's probably trying too hard pitted against the Tobey Maguire/Spiderman thing. You can't force pussy girl shit where it doesn't go.

sk8ter-hater
12-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Carnage>Venom

Venom Symbiote
12-06-2006, 08:52 PM
You're a douche. The only reason they even created Carnage is because a few writers fucked up Venom and turned him into a good guy. He's never been a good guy, he still kills folks, just not ones he deems "innocent". Anyone he sees as not fitting that description in his warped sense of morality is fair game to be slaughtered.

Carnage only came in to bring back the evil. Although he never had any interesting motivations like Venom did, he was just...you know: the wack-job serial killer who murdered his family when he was a kid and had no respect for human life whatsoever. He gets the symbiote and SHAZAAM - he can turn his hands into axes and knives and shit.

Boring.

Venom's a Catholic family man with a successful journalism career gone bad. He's out to get payback on Spiderman without taking out bystanders in the process, wants to make things "right" from where he stands. Carnage is just two-dimensional ass.

I actually really like the new movie-design of the black suit, the texture of it is really rad and the eyes are more turned-upwards to look a little evil. I only wish they kept the logo instead of making it all black.

Venom's actually gone through a lot of incarnations over the years, different sizes and physical designs. I still prefer the original (minus tongue/slobber-goo and other bullshit that came much later) McFarlane character:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n5/n27570.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d2/Spider-Man316.jpg/200px-Spider-Man316.jpg

They later on turned him into this type of bullshit:

http://www.inkietos.com/wp-content/200509/29/venom.jpg

http://www.gamerevolution.com/oldsite/games/ps2/action/ultimate_spider_man_venom.jpg

He's not a giant slobbering fucking Hulk. Ugh.

But yeah, I think Grace would have made an awesome Parker, back before the blonde hair and all. Like at whatever age he was on That 70's Show. Has the same acting chops as Maguire (who I like, he's just a little wussy and can't bring out the humour of Spidey in the suit) without the emo crybabyness.

Endymion
12-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Quite easy, actually! Much easier and less aggravation than trying to enforce warnings.

Anyway. I've had trouble getting into movies based on graphic novels, bar V for Vendetta. Is it a girl thing?

for some reason this made me think of how awesome it would be if David Lynch did a movie adaptation of Clowes' Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron.

Little_Miss_1565
12-07-2006, 06:29 AM
Um, yeah, that would = bonerage.

Venom Symbiote
12-13-2006, 05:20 AM
Nope, no Hobgoblin. The closest you'll get is P.O.'ed Harry with a flying snowboard and ski-mask.

khaaaaan
12-13-2006, 05:40 AM
You know what'd be cool in that movie? Carnage. He was such a bad ass. Those were my favorite episodes. The ones with Carnage.

Mota Boy
12-13-2006, 09:39 AM
But the V For Vendetta movie was bad. That's about the only "indie arthouse" comic I've read. The movie pulled its punches, trying to be controversial but just ending up removing the actually disturbing stuff and replacing it with much more emphasis on the gay thing.
I really didn't like the comic book that much at all. All the supposedly "hero" characters came across as completely unsympathetic. Evey was a pathetic little wretch that confused sex for love and awkwardly stumbled through all her relationships. V was much more haphazard in his treatment of her and too caught up in seeming mysterious to and spouting riddles to be human. The characters with whom I empathized most - the ones that displayed the fullest range of emotions - were the supreme leader in his wack-job love affair with Fate and the general that V drives insane in the first chapter. Plus, the fact that V was an anarchist rather than a freedom fighter just made it all so ridiculous. I thought the movie was far superior. However, I did see it first.