PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie James Dio

Venom Symbiote
12-06-2006, 12:35 AM
Dio rocks. I prefer his solo stuff to his work as the replacement singer of Sabbath after Ozzy fell off the wagon, but it's all good I guess.

Who likes him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9WHI20K33E

Such a powerful voice coming from such a little man. He's hyper-intelligent too, weirdly enough, kinda like Alice Cooper in that respect. He's also credited with basically popularizing the "devil's horns" hand gesture, having grown up with his Italian grandmother or something using it for "hello".

This guy's Greatest Hits album is a great buy, even if you're not that into classic oldschool hard-rock/metal. I'd also really recommend the songs "Rainbow In The Dark", "Evil Eyes", and "Rock & Roll Children" for some more cheesy-yet-damn-rockin' songs worth downloading.

He's probably my favourite vocalist of the '80s.

You've probably seen him in a Southpark episode or two (those guys are known as pretty hardcore fans), but if not, check out his material. Definitely worth a listen for any rock fan.

Llamas
12-06-2006, 12:44 AM
LOL Dio is soooo cheesy.

Venom Symbiote
12-06-2006, 12:45 AM
But that's the appeal! :p

Just watch those videos of his, woah! Haha.

Llamas
12-06-2006, 12:56 AM
hahaha, well I will admit I do sing along with some of his songs... but god is he cheesy! He's like tenacious D for me. I like him because he's funny.

Venom Symbiote
12-06-2006, 01:00 AM
He's one of Jack Black's biggest influences for that band, apparently.

Llamas
12-06-2006, 01:05 AM
Jack Black is much more talented, though. I wish Black would actually release an album of serious work sometime.

Venom Symbiote
12-06-2006, 01:08 AM
You're...kidding, right? Black can't sing to save his life.

Dio, on the other hand..."Drrreeeeeaaaaaammmm Eevviiillll!" :D The guy's a banshee.

Llamas
12-06-2006, 01:19 AM
Jack Black has an amazing voice, actually.

Bazza
12-06-2006, 04:07 AM
Jack Black is much more talented, though. I wish Black would actually release an album of serious work sometime.

I don't think that's in his style though, I think people might not take him seriously enough, but if it was well written and released under a different name (instead of Tenacious D) then it might get well received. I don't think he should do another "comical" album because the joke is running a bit dry.

Autonomist
12-06-2006, 04:12 AM
Dio is soooo cheesy.

But that's the appeal!

Oh how many times I've heard this retort before.

Dio is pretty sweet though.

Llamas
12-06-2006, 04:15 AM
I don't think that's in his style though, I think people might not take him seriously enough, but if it was well written and released under a different name (instead of Tenacious D) then it might get well received. I don't think he should do another "comical" album because the joke is running a bit dry.

No, I don't think he should do another Tenacious D. I think he should do a solo album or something. He could pull a "garth brooks/chris gaines" thing, haha. I'd love to hear him do a serious album.

Bazza
12-06-2006, 04:28 AM
What without Kyle Gass!?! I didn't think Jack was the inspiration behind the music (I may be wrong), I thought he did the lyrics and Kyle did the music (Again maybe wrong).

Llamas
12-06-2006, 04:38 AM
I'm not sure. Being paired with Kyle, though, they're always gonna create dumb/funny stuff. I think he needs to break away on his own to do something serious.