PDA

View Full Version : No Doubt

Venom Symbiote
12-06-2006, 03:43 AM
Yet another Symbiote-induced music thread.

No Doubt are one of those bands I think just have way too much hatred directed towards them. Much like The Offspring, I guess.

I've gotta admit, Return Of Saturn was their last album that fit the kind of thing I'd ever listen to, I've heard Rock Steady and justnever really got into it, although I guess it's a technically pretty-awesome pop record.

But Tragic Kingdom, Return Of Saturn, and the AMAZING amazing amazing Self-Titled CD are all definitely worth listening to. Saturn is less of the ska-pop and more of the...pop, but it's pretty rad anyway.

Llamas
12-06-2006, 03:46 AM
Saturn is the only awesome album the band ever did. I LOVE that album. tragic kingdom and s/t are decent. rock steady is boring and lame. saturn has by far stefani's best lyrics, and the music was diverse without being stupid. Mmmm, love that album.

darea
12-06-2006, 08:10 AM
No doubt are one of my fave bands and I think Tragic Kingdom is there best album and second best rock steady, I didnt like return to saturn that much, maybe I didnt listen to it enough.....

HeadAroundU
12-07-2006, 08:36 AM
I love Tragic Kingdom and Return of Saturn. Can't tell which one's better, both are amazing. I didn't get into others. I was disappointed by Rocksteady, I liked probably 2 songs. I can't recall albums before TK, I have downloaded the whole discography through so I will listen.

Venom Symbiote
12-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Dude, pick up their 1992 Self-Titled thing, the album before Tragic Kingdom. It's still my favourite No Doubt release, it's so great.

More ska though. The horn line's more prominent and it's way more "funky" for lack of a less-lame term.

Llamas
12-07-2006, 02:53 PM
the thing I don't like about the s/t is that it all sounds very very similar. rock steady has a lot more variety, even though it sucks. that's why return of saturn is my fave. Decent amount of variety, but damn GOOD variety.

Venom Symbiote
12-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Return Of Saturn was probably their peak as songwriters, you're right. It was the last "No Doubt" sounding record before they went all ADHD and started experimenting. Rock Steady was technically a good album too, I'm just not into that type of thing I guess.

I like Tragic Kingdom more than Return Of Saturn, even though it's maybe not quite as polished and mature. It's just more my type of music I guess.

And you're right, the Self-Titled does all sound pretty similar. I really like the trumpet emphasis though, and Gwen does some awesome things with her voice on things like "Doormat" (just listen to the funky shit at the start!) and "Big City Train".

JohnnyNemesis
12-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Aside from "New", I despised Return of Saturn.

I loved Tragic Kingdom as a kid, but kind of grew out of it. "Sunday Morning", "Excuse Me Mr." and especially "Sixteen" remain some of my favorite songs from any group, but generally this band isn't for me.

I also feel really gay listening to them, but that isn't much of a concern. Heck, I listen to Depeche Mode obsessively, after all.

Venom Symbiote
12-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Yeah, meh, I get a bit of the "har har, No Doubt" shit from my buddies from time to time, but whatever. A good band's a good band.

I mean, fuck, I listen to Tom Petty, that's just as much out of my musical comfort zone as Gwen fucking Stefani.

Llamas
12-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Yeah, meh, I get a bit of the "har har, No Doubt" shit from my buddies from time to time, but whatever. A good band's a good band.

I agree with you fully on this attitude. Some of my favorite artists are the same situation. Hanson, Natalie Imbruglia... made fun of to death, but good music is good music no matter what they got made fun of before, or how much people make fun of me. Who cares? As long as I like it. :)

Venom Symbiote
12-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Oh, but Hanson and Natalie Imbruglia are completely different. :D

They actually do suck. Haha.

Llamas
12-07-2006, 03:24 PM
...except that you've probably only heard one or two songs by either, and can't even remotely judge based on that.

Regardless, you've proven my point further. A lot of people judge those artists based on a very, very small portion that they've heard and insult them all the time, resulting me being ridiculed for liking them. But I honestly don't care, because I know they are very talented artists, and that's what I choose to listen to.

JohnnyNemesis
12-07-2006, 03:26 PM
I've listened to complete Natalie Imbruglia albums, and aside from the amazingness of the song "City", I can't stand the stuff.

Venom Symbiote
12-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I mean...I actually like "Torn" and stuff. Her early singles.

Doesn't mean overall she's exactly good. I still feel No Doubt pretty much are.

78 Water
12-07-2006, 03:30 PM
This band reminds me of the Scissor Sisters.

Venom Symbiote
12-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Except, you know, for the talent. Scissor Sisters = trend-riding predictable phagz.

JohnnyNemesis
12-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Yeah, but ilovellamas still has a valid point. I was just sharing my personal opinion on Natalie Imbruglia, but ilovellamas is still right.

Venom Symbiote
12-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Yep, she is. I'm just shit-stirring.

Llamas
12-07-2006, 07:14 PM
I've listened to complete Natalie Imbruglia albums, and aside from the amazingness of the song "City", I can't stand the stuff.
that's cuz u sux. :( but city is a pretty good song. Doesn't stand out to me as one of her best, though.

Yeah, but ilovellamas still has a valid point. I was just sharing my personal opinion on Natalie Imbruglia, but ilovellamas is still right.
I'm always right. What's new? (lolgraffitisux0rz!!!1!)

Venom Symbiote
12-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Zomgiggles, gr@ffitiDOESsux0rz.

IAmARevenant
12-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Hate them. Always hated them. Always will hate them.

Llamas
12-07-2006, 10:04 PM
good post! way to contribute!

JohnnyNemesis
12-07-2006, 10:08 PM
That's the essence of 95% of IAmARevenant's posts. Crap.

Betty
12-08-2006, 01:15 AM
I'm still aghast at the Tom Petty dissing. How is that not 100% respectable music? I actually just downloaded Wildflowers last night. Sooooo good. I was always into the Greatest Hits but have recently realized that the albums are extremely solid too.

Oh, and I guess I should download that Saturn album, I've never heard it, but quite enjoy Tragic Kingdom, obviously.

Venom Symbiote
12-08-2006, 02:02 AM
Whoa, hold up, no dissing coming from me. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers are, as the cool kids say, "tha shizzit".

I was saying they're quite different to, oh, you know...The Offspring. Just alluding to the idea that I don't care what type of music is, I'm not going to be so insecure as to not listen to No Doubt as most teen guys would choose to do. Just because they don't fit into the "tough punk/metal" shit people seem to expect of a guy my age.

And the idea that, yeah, Tom Petty doesn't really fit into that scene either, and I think the guy kicks all kinds of ass.

JoY
12-08-2006, 03:35 AM
Tragic Kingdom is one of my favorite albums of all time.<3

IAmARevenant
12-08-2006, 06:00 AM
That's the essence of 95% of IAmARevenant's posts. Crap.
hey, I post my opinion, whether it be positive or negative. Last time I checked, that's what forums are for. But for some reason, whenever I do so, I get at least 2 people like you, crying because of it. I guess it's because there's a rule here that you can't post your opinion. You can only go with the popular vote here, am I right? And how are my posts crap again? Oh yeah, now I remember, it's because the almighty johnnynemesis doesn't agree with me and doesn't like the bands I listen to.

If I were The Offspring, I would be ashamed to have a message board filled with inconsiderate bitches like you who are simply intolerant of the fact that some people like bands you don't and hate bands that you like.

Betty
12-08-2006, 12:07 PM
Whoa, hold up, no dissing coming from me. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers are, as the cool kids say, "tha shizzit".

I was saying they're quite different to, oh, you know...The Offspring. Just alluding to the idea that I don't care what type of music is, I'm not going to be so insecure as to not listen to No Doubt as most teen guys would choose to do. Just because they don't fit into the "tough punk/metal" shit people seem to expect of a guy my age.

And the idea that, yeah, Tom Petty doesn't really fit into that scene either, and I think the guy kicks all kinds of ass.

I guess my point is that I don't think it's embarassing AT ALL no matter WHAT you listen to so it shouldn't be used as an example. I am much much more ashamed to admit to listening to the Offspring (even though I probably shouldn't be cause they're still a kickass band - maybe it's cause I post on the BBS).

But yeah, I get your point.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 12:16 PM
hey, I post my opinion, whether it be positive or negative. Last time I checked, that's what forums are for. But for some reason, whenever I do so, I get at least 2 people like you, crying because of it. I guess it's because there's a rule here that you can't post your opinion. You can only go with the popular vote here, am I right? And how are my posts crap again? Oh yeah, now I remember, it's because the almighty johnnynemesis doesn't agree with me and doesn't like the bands I listen to.

If I were The Offspring, I would be ashamed to have a message board filled with inconsiderate bitches like you who are simply intolerant of the fact that some people like bands you don't and hate bands that you like.

Umm, everyone is allowed to post his or her opinions. It's HOW you post them. Nobody else comes into a thread, says "omg I hate them!" and leaves. The point of a message board isn't to just post your opinion everywhere... it's to instigate and create discussion. We were in the midst of discussing no doubt as far as people insulting them for no reason. Instead of contributing to the discussion, you came in and made some useless comments that don't contribute to the discussion or the thread at all, and at the very BEST will be ignored.

IAmARevenant
12-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Well you didn't ignore them, and neither did johnnynemesis.

Well, if you're gonna keep bugging me about this.....

I hate no doubt because gwen's voice annoys me like hell, and they use too many electronics. The only song of theirs I've ever liked (the only song that gwen has done, as a matter of fact) is that hella good song.
There. Happy now?

Llamas
12-08-2006, 01:50 PM
Well you didn't ignore them, and neither did johnnynemesis.

I said they will be ignored AT BEST. Learn to read. Best case is that they're ignored, worst case is you will be attacked for your comments.

See, when you give an actual opinion like that, people can discuss with you.

You hate the electronics? So, have you ever HEARD any songs from before rock steady? Because on their first three albums, they didn't use any synths or whatever you're referring to as electronics (though guitars and basses are electronic, too...). You should listen to more than one album before you make sweeping claims.

IAmARevenant
12-08-2006, 02:30 PM
I said they will be ignored AT BEST. Learn to read. Best case is that they're ignored, worst case is you will be attacked for your comments.

See, when you give an actual opinion like that, people can discuss with you.

You hate the electronics? So, have you ever HEARD any songs from before rock steady? Because on their first three albums, they didn't use any synths or whatever you're referring to as electronics (though guitars and basses are electronic, too...). You should listen to more than one album before you make sweeping claims.
What I meant by electronics were like keyboards and synths and stuff. I'm not big on dance music or any of that.

But I might take your advice, since I do like ska, and they used to be a ska band from what I've heard from other people. But like I said, gwen's voice annoys me.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Gwen's voice is more tolerable in their old music. On rock steady, her voice annoys me, too. Also in her solo work. It's much more tolerable in the other albums, though. I actually am pretty sure you've probably heard some of their better stuff before... check out "Spiderwebs", "just a girl", "don't speak"... those were the singles off "tragic kingdom", which tends to be their most popular album. I'd also check out most songs from "return of saturn".

Oh, and see? It doesn't matter that you have a different opinion. It's just that you have to learn how to talk about your opinion without annoying the piss out of everyone.

IAmARevenant
12-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Gwen's voice is more tolerable in their old music. On rock steady, her voice annoys me, too. Also in her solo work. It's much more tolerable in the other albums, though. I actually am pretty sure you've probably heard some of their better stuff before... check out "Spiderwebs", "just a girl", "don't speak"... those were the singles off "tragic kingdom", which tends to be their most popular album. I'd also check out most songs from "return of saturn".

Oh, and see? It doesn't matter that you have a different opinion. It's just that you have to learn how to talk about your opinion without annoying the piss out of everyone.
Well I've heard those songs off tragic kingdom (except spiderwebs), and I don't like it. If it wasn't gwen singing, I might.

Venom Symbiote
12-08-2006, 05:29 PM
I guess my point is that I don't think it's embarassing AT ALL no matter WHAT you listen to so it shouldn't be used as an example. I am much much more ashamed to admit to listening to the Offspring.

Heh. Oh, I hear ya. :p Agreed completely. I've gotten to the stage where I don't even say "The Offspring" if someone asks me for my favourite band, usually just delegating to my second, the Smashing Pumpkins. And I flat-out refuse to wear any Offspring tee apart from my Ixnay cover one, due to the abundance of little shits coming up to me and being all "zomg! Offspring rock dude! Do you like Sum 41 too?! Huh? Huh? Original Prankster rocked, by the way, lollollol, so badass".

I guess I didn't think my post through. The Offspring are just as embarassing in social situations as No Doubt. Tom Petty's easily the most respectable to admit to. Point taken.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 05:33 PM
I've never been embarassed of any band I like. And the Offspring? I've never met a single person in real life who finds it embarassing to like them. Most people I've ever talked to about music atleast casually don't mind the Offspring.

If I was going to be embarassed about liking a band, there are MANY bands far worse than the Offspring to be embarassed about.

JohnnyNemesis
12-08-2006, 05:44 PM
EVERYONE I know thinks makes fun of me for listening to The Offspring, since all they know is Pretty Fly.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 05:48 PM
really? most people I know think of come out and play or self esteem when they think off offspring. I guess it just depends on who you know.

JoY
12-08-2006, 05:52 PM
EVERYONE makes fun of me for browsing the Offspring bbs & being a moderator, because all they know is Pretty Fly. & they're like *roommate imitation*; "she's on the board of that band.. you know, the Ozborns?? how was that song, Bella, you know, *hums Pretty Fly* you know, what was it? & then there was another song, something like your momma mm, mmm, & she hates that bitch! hahaha, Offspring suck, you suck"

may I remind you there was no time or place once in my life, that I listened to the Offspring? I was born a wise woman.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 05:55 PM
I'm more likely to be embarassed that I post on a message board. Bah. I actually think it's hilarious that I post on a message board... but not about liking any bands. And I do like the Offspring.

Venom Symbiote
12-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Yeah, heh, I was just thinking about that the other day. The Offspring message board/website pretty much introduced me to the internet. Before that I was like "google shit for research, check email once a week", this forum is like...pretty much the only website I ever bother with. And even then usually only in the lead-up to a new album.

Yeah, it's pretty lame telling people you discuss band news on a damn message board, agreed. *shrug* Oh well.

WebDudette
12-08-2006, 06:16 PM
My friends make fun of me for alot of the music I listen to, doesn't bother me much though. Because one of my friends only listens to Korn and Slipknot and another friend is tru punx!!

Oh and on No Doubt, some of the songs I have heard aren't bad and some are prety bad. I haven't heard anything to make me like or dislike them, or anything to convince me to check them out.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Yeah, heh, I was just thinking about that the other day. The Offspring message board/website pretty much introduced me to the internet. Before that I was like "google shit for research, check email once a week", this forum is like...pretty much the only website I ever bother with. And even then usually only in the lead-up to a new album.

Yeah, it's pretty lame telling people you discuss band news on a damn message board, agreed. *shrug* Oh well.

The primary amount of time I spend here, I'm at work. Everyone at work has approached me and saw what site I was on. Every single one of those people has said, "Oh! The Offspring, they're not bad. Do you like them a lot?" And I'll say, "yeah, they're one of my favorite bands". Then they'll say, "So what is that site you're on all the time? You're not, like... talking about a band on a website, are you??"

Yeah, the embarassment is definitely in message board, not band, haha.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 06:24 PM
My friends make fun of me for alot of the music I listen to, doesn't bother me much though. Because one of my friends only listens to Korn and Slipknot and another friend is tru punx!!

Oh and on No Doubt, some of the songs I have heard aren't bad and some are prety bad. I haven't heard anything to make me like or dislike them, or anything to convince me to check them out.

I like slipknot... though their first two albums were pretty awful. the third one was good, though. korn is horrible horrible shit, though.

WebDudette
12-08-2006, 06:25 PM
I'll agree that Slipknot have some decent songs, but I still don't like them.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 06:28 PM
I definitely hate the attititude and image they projected during their fame. They as people and as a band annoyed the shit out of me. I bought their live album to get the best of all their albums... and the parts where they talked to the audience just annoy me shitlessly. They do have good songs, though.

WebDudette
12-08-2006, 06:31 PM
I went to a concert in Arizona because a couple of my friends dragged me to it and I was kind of into them at the time. They where annoying as hell. I remeber the singer saying 'You guys give me a hard on' and him telling everyone to get on the ground. I was like woah fuck that.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 06:39 PM
They also called their fans maggots, and the fans were PROUD to be called that. wtf?? yeah! I'm a slimey underdeveloped insect! whoo hoo! so stupid.

IAmARevenant
12-08-2006, 08:31 PM
I accually like alot of bands that I should be ashamed to like, but I'm not. If someone makes fun of me for wearing a Green Day shirt, oh well. He's an idiot.

Venom Symbiote
12-08-2006, 09:27 PM
An...American idiot? Ho ho ho, tee hee hee, zomgiggles roflwaffles.

IAmARevenant
12-08-2006, 09:29 PM
ooh......didn't think o' that.

Venom Symbiote
12-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Zingz. !1!1!

JohnnyNemesis
12-09-2006, 01:16 AM
zomgiggles

I approve.

JoY
12-09-2006, 04:08 AM

sharp! me likes.

Betty
12-10-2006, 03:24 AM
Actually, most of the people I know like the Offspring because they're all the same age as me and Offspring is synonymous with Smash and Dookie and Nirvana and all that fun mid-90's jazz. Everybody has a copy of Smash lying around somewhere and most would agree that they love it to death. Everybody sings along to Self Esteem when it comes on the radio. Like I said, the only reason I'm probably "embarassed" is because I know in my mind that I'm a moderator on the Offspring BBS forums and that's just absolutely ridiculous. My Internet social life is embarassing.

Llamas
12-10-2006, 03:32 AM
I'm with you 100%, Michelle is it?

WebDudette
12-13-2006, 09:11 PM
It would take my brain longer to process 'Oh, this is a shitty post made by IAmARevenant skip it.' then it would to read your one line crap. I don't really care to much so I don't ignore you and there is the off chance you will say something useful.

Can someone recommend me a couple of good No Doubt songs?

Llamas
12-13-2006, 09:22 PM
My opinion is different, since I love return of saturn the most.. plus I love the WHOLE album and it's hard to pick favorites... but...

Ex-Girlfriend
Bathwater
New
Comforting Lie

JohnnyNemesis
12-13-2006, 10:16 PM
BS deleted.

New and Bathwater are must haves. Also get Sixteen, Sunday Morning, and Excuse Me Mr.

Llamas
12-13-2006, 10:21 PM
BS deleted.

New and Bathwater are must haves. Also get Sixteen, Sunday Morning, and Excuse Me Mr.

there was bs? I must have missed it.

are those songs all on tragic kingdom?

JohnnyNemesis
12-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Yep .

OC HAU
08-23-2012, 11:33 PM
http://youtu.be/Pb_zZ3xItPI

The new album is out in a month and this is the new single. 6 minutes video. Some amazing vocals. Reggae. Interesting slower electro parts. I have an urge to put some heavy guitar parts there too. Filthy Gwen, those eyebrows are way too high. :d It seems to be a good direction.

Eskimo
08-24-2012, 01:53 AM
God I've missed No Doubt. ND and Garbage releasing new stuff in the same year? Awesome.

Two favorite "pop" bands. The single's pretty interesting! Maybe not up there with my favorite stuff, but it's pretty cool. Stay with the band, Gwen, no more solo shizzle.

samseby
08-24-2012, 06:36 AM
Brought to you by Ice-Watch ...
Other than that not for me either.

Llamas
08-24-2012, 07:17 AM
LOVE this new tune! Now I'm excited... I hope this album is as good as Return to Saturn, which is my favorite ND album.

Eskimo
08-25-2012, 11:05 PM
Deleted posts in here? What the boobs?!

cool 2 hate 681
08-25-2012, 11:58 PM
Deleted posts in here? What the boobs?!

the website went down for 2 hours when it came back all the post from today were deleted really sucks :(

samseby
08-26-2012, 01:39 AM
Guess they weren't deleted - stuff just happened to be posted in between data backups ;)

OC HAU
08-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Anyone replied to my lost post?

OC HAU
09-17-2012, 04:13 PM
leakity lick

cool 2 hate 681
09-24-2012, 04:04 PM
987 fm in los angeles is playing the entire album tonight

wish a radio station would have done that with offspring

OC HAU
09-29-2012, 04:21 PM
The first 4 songs punch you in the face,

Settle Down is a great example of where should rock bands go, you have to come up with longer songs with a place for other genres or styles to develop and not just simple jabs for several seconds.

Looking Hot is very exciting and One More Summer is the best track. It's a beautiful song. Again, I find AFI influence, first Linkin Park, now No Doubt, strange. I find emo crying vocals by Gwen to be very interesting and rare, really heartfelt vocals.

Push and Shove has some great vocals too, but the song is kinda Rock Steady dancehall reggae, I'm not really into it. And then, the album maybe falls down a bit, but keeps a good quality. The songs are long, but it's not really the Settle Down path. The titles are similar. So it's kinda strange. Reviews on wikipedia point out very interesting things. The only song that wakes me up is Undercover which actually might be the best track, I can't decide, but I definitely want to hug Gwen for it. They should make it a single.

I can't appreciate the whole thing yet but I can definitely enjoy it. Not sure what are limitations of those aging bands like No Doubt or The Offspring, they definitely can make a punch, but somehow they don't do it over 12 tracks. I suspect some calculations or laziness, I don't know...maybe I don't get it and it's timeless or something...maybe I'm shitting into my mouth--I want from The Offspring cascadoidal tracklist and when No Doubt do something weird with a tracklist I don't get it. 6 one-word titles, that's something.

Let's go back to album,
Easy is kinda odd
Gravity, astronomy FTW
Undone is kinda distant
Sparkle, some Return of Saturn love
Heaven, 80's are back
DTSD, *yawn*

Dulce
09-29-2012, 06:32 PM
987 fm in los angeles is playing the entire album tonight

wish a radio station would have done that with offspring

I've listened to it for a bit and so far I really like their different sound. Hopefully when the tenth album we will hear it first on KROQ.