PDA

View Full Version : Graffiti on my wall.

offspring dude
12-07-2006, 11:08 AM
So me and my friends got drunk about a week ago and when i eventually passed out they were still messing about in my house. Turns out they brokke 2 chairs, smashed up nearly all the glasses, but the worse definately was that they graffitied just outside my bedroom window which i don't exactly know how they managed to do it. But anyway its just a pretty lame thing, it just says a random word and a smiley face, the thing is though, if my parents see it which they could any day at any time (and i am incredibly surprised they haven't) they would absolutely kill me.

So to get to the point, i need to get this thing rubbed off my wall but i don't know how, and i can't exactly get hold of petrol right now. The wall doesn't actually have any paint on it its just cement with like thin gravel on top of it.

So i ask you guys if you could suggest any good ways i could get that thing off my wall, cheers.

mrconeman
12-07-2006, 11:23 AM
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldnt set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.

I'm a sailor man from Glasgow town,
I've roamed this world round and round,
Hes the meanest thing that I have found,
In all my days of wonderin'

But I could see his evil eyes,
Twas then he took me by surprise,
Take me to your paradise,
I want to see the Jungle.

Here we go again,
We're on the road again,
We're on the road again,
We're on our way to Paradise,
We love the jungilty,
That's where the lion sleeps,
For in those evil eyes,
They have no place in Paradise.

Grafitti on the walls just as the sun was going down,
I seen graffitti on the walls.
Graffitti on the walls that says we're Magic, We're Magic,
Graffiti on the walls, Graffiti on the walls
And it said
Ooh ah up the Ra, say ooh ah up the Ra

We went to each jungle deep,
For the Paradise that we did seek,
Was noted for the weak,
There was some with the natives.

From the Amazon to Borneo,
From Africa to Tokyo,
To the darkest jungles of the world,
But nowhere could I lose him.
Around in circles every way,
He turned to me and he did say,
I think your leading me astray,
I want your soul me boyo!

0r4ng3
12-07-2006, 11:26 AM
The only thing I can think of is painting over it. That probably won't help, though. I'm not familiar with graffiti.

the_GoDdEsS
12-07-2006, 11:33 AM
That's pretty stupid. Why don't you just cover it up with posters temporarily? Besides, your parents will find out anyway.

Tizzalicious
12-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Wow. Idiots.

offspring dude
12-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Wow. Idiots.

yeah i agree, they're pretty cool when they're not drunk though, but the thing is i'm trying to find a way to get it off without painting pver it, plus if we did, it would look odd as hell since that wall isn't actaully painted at all, and it also wouldnt look right if we painted the whole thing.

There must be something that can get it off though, i know it, the spraypaint they used (which i had in my room) isn't that good and i've got it off things before, so i don't know something might work...

PS: and the posters thing doesnt work, the graffiti is on the second floor and it is outside.

Tizzalicious
12-07-2006, 11:44 AM
If it's outside you can just pretend other people did it?

Try asking in a shop where they sell the spraypaint.

And don't take friends like that home anymore.

offspring dude
12-07-2006, 11:58 AM
well when they eventually find out i'm obviously gonna say it wasn't me, since it wasn't me anyway, but it is pretty hard to climb up there and do a graffiti, plus if someone did i don't think it would be so lame and simple.

I don't know which shop they sell it in because my friend bought it for me, under 16's (i think) can't buy any sparycans or things like that here, so i'll probably ask him where he got it from now.

Well since i was pretty pissed off at them, i told them that my parents hated them and didn't want them in our house ever again, so they won't come here again, but i'm still friends with them

Venom Symbiote
12-07-2006, 01:30 PM
You and your friends are douches, I'm afraid.

offspring dude
12-07-2006, 01:33 PM
You and your friends are douches, I'm afraid.

and i thought i liked you:(

douchebag!!

Venom Symbiote
12-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Go lick yourself.

I wouldn't wany a graffiti fag to "like me" anyway. Ever.

Go paint something randomly and pointlessly, you cumhammer.

JohnnyNemesis
12-07-2006, 02:48 PM
*fearful faggotry*

Please don't disrespect REAL graffiti and call a bunch of drunken wall scribbles by the same name as a very real and awesome socio-cultural movement, thank you very much okay fuck you faggot?

Venom Symbiote
12-07-2006, 02:50 PM
"Socio-cultural movement" my ass.

A bunch of delinquent kids sneaking out at 3am to spraypaint a train to be "hardcore", is about the be all and end all of the "graffiti movement".

Fuck 'em.

JohnnyNemesis
12-07-2006, 02:54 PM
No way in hell do you know what you're talking about because you don't even know what I'm talking about. You're in fucking AUSTRALIA, for chrissake. Whatever the hell you've seen or whatever rumors you pieced together from the safety of your home also falls into what I explained to offspring dude.

Llamas
12-07-2006, 03:04 PM
I see graffiti every single day... a lot of it is gang related shit... the rest is random words and weird shapes spraypainted on public property. I've never seen graffiti that doesn't look like a pile of shit, and it always seems to make things look like shitholes. One of the houses in my neighborhood got graffitied, and I feel really bad for them.

How is it ever "awesome", ricky? I really don't get it...

Venom Symbiote
12-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Whoa, whoa. *raises hands defensively*

It may not be NYC or Detroit, but we have our share of fuckers with their "urban art", trust me.

And yeah, I can understand how to...erm, certain people, it would seem attractive or "reflective of their generation's experience" and such cliche'd crap. I just tend to think those people are whiney whores without the guts to just make it in the big bad system and shut up, preferring to somehow "defy it" with a 5 buck can of paint and an urge to do the rebel teen thing and break curfew and shit.

0r4ng3
12-07-2006, 03:07 PM
When graffiti started, it was an art form and a cultural movement. A means of expression.

Nowadays, it's just seen as another form of vandalism more than art. Sometimes that's the intention, also.

Llamas
12-07-2006, 03:08 PM
but when it started, wasn't it still vandalism? I'm honestly asking because I don't know.

Tired_Of_You
12-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Some graffitis in Montreal are nice. I agree that those scribbled words are most of the time, really ugly, and when it's painted on houses... ew :/. I know there are a few walls here where people can make graffitis legally, but I don't know if it has changed anything... and at the same time, it seems a little ridiculous to me.

78 Water
12-07-2006, 03:16 PM
I can appreciate graffit when it looks amazingly well-drawn, because it obviously took a lot of time to do. But, I don't like it when I see things like "Mich3l l0v3s Bri4n" written in crappy, scribble letters on some building wall or bridge or something.

Venom Symbiote
12-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Ok, fine, some of it has artistic value, even I can see that. But it's still vandalism, and that was the original appeal. I think the "art" thing came about later on as a means of justifying it so they wouldn't keep getting fucking arrested for it. Trying to make it more acceptable because they were sick of getting bailed out of the local police station.

Originally graffiti artists were doing it for the thrill of defacing public property, pissing off authority figures. No sugar-coating that, it's fucking true.

If they want it to be considered artwork, then they either need to get a permit to do it in a public area or BUY A FUCKING CANVAS.

Da Vinci never walked around throwing paint over people's donkeys and shit.

You want to deface something, make sure you either own it or have a written permission document from whoever the fuck does.

Llamas
12-07-2006, 03:19 PM
"Mich3l l0v3s Bri4n"
First of all, that's not graffiti to me. Second of all, when have you EVER seen someone WRITE in 1337? Never. That's just retarded to think people would do that.

78 Water
12-07-2006, 03:20 PM
They didn't really write like that, but it's close. Just trying to make an example.

Llamas
12-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally graffiti artists were doing it for the thrill of defacing public property, pissing off authority figures. No sugar-coating that, it's fucking true.

That's what I thought.

I can see the perspective that, when you're in a really run down area and things look like shit, if people do some really really nice graffiti, they can make an area look better, and then it's art. But come on, writing things on public bridges and crap... that's just not art.

JohnnyNemesis
12-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Graffiti is dead and has been for a long time, kids. What you're seeing and talking about is petty vandalism and gang-related bullshit. Check out the films "Style Wars" or "Wild Style" and/or read up on it.

And lolz at Venom for respecting property laws.

Double lolz for people equating what they're seeing with real graffiti.

78 Water
12-07-2006, 03:23 PM
I even see it written on signs and things so you can't even see what it says. That could cause an accident.

Llamas
12-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Ricky... graffiti can be defined in our modern society as any marking on public or private property. It's like punk or emo. It's not the same as it was when it started. Look it up in any dictionary... "writing on walls: drawings or words that are scratched, painted, or sprayed on walls or other surfaces in public places". What it was when it started is not the same as it is now... do you also argue that emo doesn't exist anymore?

JohnnyNemesis
12-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Ricky... graffiti can be defined in our modern society as any marking on public or private property.

I know, and that's exactly what I'm laughing at.

Look it up in any dictionary... "writing on walls: drawings or words that are scratched, painted, or sprayed on walls or other surfaces in public places".

I agree, beliefs and opinions are the same. :P

0r4ng3
12-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Opinions are like assholes; some people are one.

Llamas
12-07-2006, 03:32 PM
I know, and that's exactly what I'm laughing at.
I agree, beliefs and opinions are the same. :P

haha that's unrelated. in modern society, graffiti IS just markings and designs on a building. Just because it doesn't exist the way it did a long time ago doesn't the word doesn't exist at all..

JohnnyNemesis
12-07-2006, 03:36 PM
I know what you're saying, but that's why I'm distinguishing between real graffiti and what modern society calls graffiti. One reason the word has such a negative connotation is because the two are always equated when in fact they're just related but at their roots completely different.

You had some other points I'll respond to either in IM or here another time when I can actually get my thoughts together.

ps. And I never said the word doesn't exist, I was saying, repeatedly, that you (and the rest of modern society) were misusing it. Majority rule/usage is not > truth/accuracy.

Linda
12-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Here's a great website full of graffiti.

http://www.graffiti.org/

JohnnyNemesis
12-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Thanks for sharing that one, Linda. I've seen that one before and there's some cool stuff on it. Some of it is almost a little too clean, but I like to turn my critical voice down and just enjoy it.

It's all varied, of course.

Linda
12-07-2006, 05:02 PM
You're welcome. I've seen graffiti that is just beautiful. Some of it is so old, tho, that it's fading out. I wish someone would repaint some of it.

JohnnyNemesis
12-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Yeah, there's some old ones in my neighborhood that are also fading. I wish it they were still fresh because it's aesthetically pleasing that way, but I sorta like the realness of the faded look and the nostalgia it creates.

Linda
12-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Yeah, that's true. I sometimes wonder who it was that painted them and if they're still alive.

Venom Symbiote
12-07-2006, 05:45 PM
So, basically JN is saying it's art for art's sakes, no negative relation to anything else whatsoever.

Great. He's a fucking purist.

So, everyone else is wrong for saying graffiti is defacing stuff, blah blah blah, it's nothing to do with teen rebellion or petty crime at all. It's just making stuff look pretty. And yeah, even I agree that a lot of it looks pretty damn sweet.

Still doesn't change the fact there's no point behind it. Why do they even do it, if not to piss people off and get a reaction?

When it all comes down to it, if it was just art they'd do like every other artist does, and just do it on a big fucking canvas or something at home, right? Or in a studio?

Art or not, they're fighting the establishment to make themselves feel good. The same as a little kid stealing a candy bar or passing a note around to his friends in class while the teacher's talking or some shit.

Llamas
12-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Majority rule/usage is not > truth/accuracy.

Connotations and references change ALL THE TIME because of majority rule and usage, though.

JohnnyNemesis
12-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Which changes nothing in terms of truth.

WebDudette
12-07-2006, 07:44 PM
I bought a book full of awesome graffiti just today. Most of it is modern and most of it enhances the area instead of making it look trashy, but that is my opinion.

Llamas
12-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Which changes nothing in terms of truth.

By that belief, someone who works in a hospital assisting doctors wouldn't be called a nurse. Also, someone who's kinda dumb or aloof wouldn't be called feeble minded. Both of those definitions are ACCURATE, though, due to the shift in connotations of words over time.

JohnnyNemesis
12-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Okay, it doesn't NECESSARILY change anything in terms of truth. Unnerstaaand, m'love?

You know darn well what I mean, but you're getting off on picking apart words.

Llamas
12-07-2006, 09:37 PM
But they do change. Why is that not the case in this situation? What makes it so special?

offspring dude
12-08-2006, 08:21 AM
Please don't disrespect REAL graffiti and call a bunch of drunken wall scribbles by the same name as a very real and awesome socio-cultural movement, thank you very much okay fuck you faggot?

Well that's what most people refer to it as and i know that's not proper graffiti but just in fact a bunch of pointless scriblbles, i thought it was just easire to refer to it that way.

I do actually like some proper graffiti as long as it is creative and artistic, some people may critize me in that point but i like it, i also agree that all the gang shit and stupid love messages or stuff like that is pretty retarded.

Duskygrin
12-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Hmm. What you could do is, when your parents are home & quietly chatting or looking at the telly, rush out of your room, stampede on the stairs, grab them wildly by their front-collars, make saucer-eyes at them & gasp out: "my god... my god... sb graffitied my wall... my god... my god..." they'll tell you to speak properly so they actually hear you, you'll repeat what you've said more in detail & less excitedly, you'll lead them to your room... & get a right old thrashing for trying to fool your parents who aren't fools, you fool.

yeah this strategy is the pits, don't use it.

Amiralanal
12-08-2006, 09:05 AM
So i ask you guys if you could suggest any good ways i could get that thing off my wall, cheers.

Just say that you dont have a fucking clue how the paint got there