PDA

View Full Version : Child Arrested for Opening Christmas Present Early

Lodat225
12-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Distraught mother rats on her own son.

December 5, 2006 - In a shocking display of parenting prowess, a Rock Hill, S.C. woman reportedly called police and had them arrest her son after he was caught opening a Christmas present early. After receiving the call, police arrested the boy and charged him with petty larceny.

The Rock Hill Herald reported that the child's great-grandmother had warned him repeatedly about opening his present early, protestations that he apparently ignored. The present in question was a Game Boy Advance.

"He took it without permission. He wanted it. He just took it," the 63-year-old great-grandmother told the Herald.

When the boy's mother found the package lying unwrapped and empty under the tree, she immediately approached the child, who proceeded to lie to her. After threatening him with calling the police, the boy apparently returned the toy to his begrudging mother, who then called the police anyway. Although he was not jailed, the two officers responding to the call did charge him with petty larceny.

The boy's mother told the Herald that she had reached the end of her rope with the child, and no longer knew what else to do with him. She claimed that she has been struggling with his constant behavior problems for a while now, and could no longer handle his misconduct.

"I'm trying to get him some kind of help," the 27-year-old mother told the paper. "He's the type of kid who doesn't believe anything until it happens."

According to the boy's mother, he had already been caught shoplifting, stealing money from her, and punching a police officer. She told the Rock Hill Herald that she hopes this arrest will put a stop to his errant ways, because she is worried about his safety. The newspaper reported that the mother plans on having her son placed in the custody of the state Department of Juvenile Justice in Colombia at his court appearance.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/749/749363p1.html

DeAtHsTaR
12-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Faggot, I was about to post this.

Lodat225
12-07-2006, 06:20 PM
I just read it too. Haha!

Human
12-07-2006, 06:25 PM
that's odd. but, she's oviously not ready to be taking care of a child if she can't have patience for her child's behavior. Young children are wacko! Its a fact, and we all were when we were younger. In some ways its a good thing that she wants to put him into state custody, but its an awful thing to do in another sense because I think that all smaller kids need their family, and it can seriously screw them up if they get put in places like that. But hell, what would I know about those places? I just know what I've heard.

0r4ng3
12-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Yeah, the mother should have done something eventually, but over a Christmas present? That's just wrong.

As a gamer, I feel like I should add just one last thing...

A Game Boy Advance? C'mon, it's 2006! She might as well have bought him a brand new Gamecube while she's at it.

Lodat225
12-07-2006, 06:36 PM
A Game Boy Advance? C'mon, it's 2006! She might as well have bought him a brand new Gamecube while she's at it.

That's what i said.

Nintendo DS for the WIN!

Camel Filters
12-07-2006, 09:40 PM
That's what i said.

Nintendo DS for the WIN!

Nintendo ds my ass. She should have gotten a wii, or a Ps3.

sKratch
12-07-2006, 09:59 PM
A Wii with a game is more than double the price of a DS.

JohnnyNemesis
12-07-2006, 10:02 PM
This kid is gonna remember this when he gets older and is gonna be all like "what the FUCK?! My MOM got me arrested?!"

Llamas
12-07-2006, 10:03 PM
"what the FUCK? I got arrested for unwrapping an outdated crappy game system??"

JohnnyNemesis
12-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Word. Except it aint crappy, just outdated, holler!

But still, he's gonna be in jail talking about his first crime and shit, and all the other prisoners are gonna be totally intimidated by his fuck the world attitude, opening gifts all early and shit.

Llamas
12-07-2006, 10:06 PM
it's not crappy, and my post could be interpreted like that... but he's a dumb kid. looking back, he'll think that. :P

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-08-2006, 01:10 AM
But still, he's gonna be in jail talking about his first crime and shit, and all the other prisoners are gonna be totally intimidated by his fuck the world attitude, opening gifts all early and shit.

Agreed.

"We call that guy "Presents". Don't ask why, just don't piss him off. He'll open you early - and by that I mean he'll rip out your liver."

Sin Studly
12-08-2006, 01:32 AM
But still, he's gonna be in jail talking about his first crime and shit.

Except he's already been busted for shoplifting and punching policemen. Cute thought, though.

Sin Studly
12-08-2006, 01:38 AM
Awesome.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1205062xmas1.html

_Kristen_
12-08-2006, 04:27 AM
"what the FUCK? I got arrested for unwrapping an outdated crappy game system??"

You said crappy.

Also, it's a handheld game.

JoY
12-08-2006, 04:49 AM
does it matter? of all the things a kid can do wrong & apparently this kid has done wrong, his MOTHER got him arrested for opening a present early. so as soon he gets "too difficult to handle", mommy calls the cops on her own child? holy fuck. she's the parent, she should raise the kid & tell him right from wrong. but apparently she doesn't even know the difference herself, because shoplifting/punching policemen vs. opening your Christmas present early.... I dunno.

"Mr. Policeman, *points at child* he opened his present early & now Christmas is ruined, wah wah!!"

&

"I just don't know what to do with him anymore. first he doesn't finish breakfast, the other week he went to bed after 9pm TWICE, now this??! surely you can understand my desperation."

what a childish, pathetic, incompetent excuse for a mother. too bad you don't need a license to raise a child. you don't threaten to call the cops when your kid crosses the line, you fucking set it straight yourself. YOUR child, YOUR responsibility. if you can't even deal with a child's impatience & curiosity, don't fucking have one at all. if she were my mother, I'd shoplift & punch police officers too.

Kathy
12-08-2006, 05:01 AM
Department of Juvenile Justice in Colombia?? Court appearance??
Damn..
I dunno why but I think I love my mom a lil' bit more.
:confused:

JoY
12-08-2006, 05:20 AM
that's odd. but, she's oviously not ready to be taking care of a child if she can't have patience for her child's behavior. Young children are wacko! Its a fact, and we all were when we were younger. In some ways its a good thing that she wants to put him into state custody, but its an awful thing to do in another sense because I think that all smaller kids need their family, and it can seriously screw them up if they get put in places like that. But hell, what would I know about those places? I just know what I've heard.

whawhawhat?! but you just said yourself we were all "wacko", when we were young. it's a good thing she wants to put him into state custody, because.. because he unwrapped a present? or because he disobeyed his parents? the only good about it, is that he'll be away from his uberfucking retarded mother. being seperated from your own mother must be absolutely horrible, unless your own mother is the one seperating the child from the rest of the family by getting him arrested. she might as well give him away. I bet she was just looking for an excuse to get rid of him & I bet he feels it that way, too. that mother is the perfect recipe for a fucked up childhood, a twisted personality & a rotten future.

it's not crappy, and my post could be interpreted like that... but he's a dumb kid. looking back, he'll think that. :P

I don't get it. did none of you ever disobey your parents? weren't you ever impatient & curious when you were young, to a level it made you cross a line? have I missed something here?

Sin Studly
12-08-2006, 05:25 AM
Stand in her shoes before you judge her, and get off your fucking self-righteous high horse. Some kids are just born bad, no matter what upbringing they had. That could quite easily be the case here. And sometimes some time in juvie will help.

killer_queen
12-08-2006, 05:30 AM
I don't get it. did none of you ever disobey your parents? weren't you ever impatient & curious when you were young, to a level it made you cross a line? have I missed something here?
We don't know the whole story. I'm sure this is not a really weird thing. Journalists generally cut all the pieces that makes sense. No one sends her children just because of a early opene christmas present.

randman21
12-08-2006, 05:45 AM
Yeah, I saw a little about this story on CNN a few days ago, and it wasn't that he opened the gift without permission. He opened it, despite repeated warnings not to. They interviewed the kid's uncle or something, and he was totally slamming the guy. Apparently, at his current pace, he's gonna be one of those kids who's in prison for life, by the age of 17. Having the gumption to punch out a cop at the age of 12 should give you an idea of how bad this little asshole is.

Also, she called the police more to scare him straight than anything else. He was probably only there for a night or two.

JoY
12-08-2006, 05:51 AM
I'm on no high horse. am I saying I could do a better job at raising a kid? I'm just saying calling the cops on your kid for unwrapping a present isn't right. it isn't. not in a single way, even if it's the 88th time he crosses the line, that still doesn't make it right.

we're talking about a kid with a 63 year old great-grandmother & a 27 year old mother. speculating on around how many years of age he is, I'd say he can't be over 10 years old. ten years. 27-10=17. if he's 10, or older, think about how young the mother was when she got him. basically just a child herself.

you are born with mostly just characteristics you got from your parents & are further shaped, molded & formed during youth, et cetera. you learn right from wrong at first from the guidance, lessons & rules your parents supply. later also at school & in social circumstances. you aren't born, knowing what's right & what's wrong. you aren't born with a fully developed personality, that just comes to expression later. your personality's basis is tied to genetics & it is further shaped by what you are taught, by experiences, knowledge & example.

a kid can be two hands full & a shitload of trouble, but he's your responsibility, until he's grown up, has learned to take responsibility for himself & be independent. especially when he's as young as this one is, he's the responsibility of the parents. & suppose you do call the cops on your ten year old, for god's sake, let it be for a better reason than opening a present early. because how is he supposed to learn what deserves punishment from his parents & what deserves punishment by the law, if he's arrested for something as trivial as this?

Edit: also, she threatened to call the police if he didn't come clean. he gave back the present & she called the cops on him anyway. when I was a young child, I fucking hated betrayal. "no, it's not going to hurt, don't worry".. "you won't have to see the doctor again, I promise".. "if you don't tell me why you are so upset, I will call your parents & say you are in trouble. think about how worried they'll be".. I still hate it to the fucking core. she betrayed her own blood. & she deliberately seperated him from his family, that normally should form a safe, solid, comforting, steady environment for a child, that it can always run to for safety.

JoY
12-08-2006, 05:54 AM
We don't know the whole story. I'm sure this is not a really weird thing. Journalists generally cut all the pieces that makes sense. No one sends her children just because of a early opene christmas present.

I know, but I still find it funny it is assumed we're talking about a "dumb kid".

the_GoDdEsS
12-08-2006, 06:06 AM
a kid can be two hands full & a shitload of trouble, but he's your responsibility, until he's grown up, has learned to take responsibility for himself & be independent. especially when he's as young as this one is, he's the responsibility of the parents. & suppose you do call the cops on your ten year old, for god's sake, let it be for a better reason than opening a present early. because how is he supposed to learn what deserves punishment from his parents & what deserves punishment by the law, if he's arrested for something as trivial as this?

That's difficult to say or assume when we don't know the exact history or background. And like Gulsah pointed out, journalists love to twist and turn things. So it always would be like "omg evil fucking mother".

JoY
12-08-2006, 06:16 AM
I agree with you, but as I said earlier; of all the things a kid can do wrong & apparently this kid has done wrong, his MOTHER got him arrested for opening a present early.

it's possible & even probable he's impossible to handle. I'm not unaware of that. then still it's a whole lot more likely he's impossible to handle, because the surrounding he grows up in is dysfunctional & doesn't give him guidance, than that he was born a bad fucking human being.

then, when you do have a child that's completely out of hand, purely based on genetics, with entirely no relation to the way you raise it whatsoever (sorry, but it's simply imfuckingpossible, but never mind), I still find it ridiculous you should call the cops for opening a present early. if you have a child gone wild, I'd say there are plenty of opportunities to call the cops on him, that'd make much more sense & that would truly give him the feeling he deserved such a great punishment this time.

randman21
12-08-2006, 06:21 AM
Oh, that's your main issue with this. Well, I sort of agree. With a kid like this, though, it's possible (probable, even) that he tried to fight his mom, or, worse, his grandmother, for not allowing him to open the present. I guess, then, it would be perfectly necessary to call the authorities.

JoY
12-08-2006, 06:25 AM
but then opening the present early wouldn't be the real reason to have called the cops, but fighting his own mother/great-grandmother. in that case the article wouldn't just leave out facts, but it'd twist them to simply being completely untrue.

wheelchairman
12-08-2006, 09:05 AM
I agree with you, but as I said earlier; of all the things a kid can do wrong & apparently this kid has done wrong, his MOTHER got him arrested for opening a present early.

it's possible & even probable he's impossible to handle. I'm not unaware of that. then still it's a whole lot more likely he's impossible to handle, because the surrounding he grows up in is dysfunctional & doesn't give him guidance, than that he was born a bad fucking human being.

then, when you do have a child that's completely out of hand, purely based on genetics, with entirely no relation to the way you raise it whatsoever (sorry, but it's simply imfuckingpossible, but never mind), I still find it ridiculous you should call the cops for opening a present early. if you have a child gone wild, I'd say there are plenty of opportunities to call the cops on him, that'd make much more sense & that would truly give him the feeling he deserved such a great punishment this time.
I can't believe you're nitpicking. You say it's okay for her to call the cops on him. But NOT for the christmas present.

Perhaps this was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I mean we already know it's part of a long series of events. It was this that pushed her too far. The gift cost 85 US dollars. That is a lot of money. I don't think I got such a valuable gift ever as a child and my family was simply lower middle class/middle middle class.

Either way you still don't have a place to judge. How can you say it's alright to call the cops, but then only when you think the situation warrants it?

the_GoDdEsS
12-08-2006, 09:41 AM
You people talk like you know everything about kids and raising them. I call ignorant bullshit time. Problematic kids and kids with disruptive behaviour (whichs seems to be the case) refuse any kind of attempted authority from parents, so you can try raising them however you want, there's still a possibility you'll fail at times and it's not going to be completely your fault. The present could have been a test, a threat the kid received, something to make him obey and it did not listen. You however concetrate too much on the deed itself. Wah, wah, mother called cops on kid. Omfg, drama! I don't know anything about uncontrollable kids but yeah, whatta bitch!! See it as something more symbolic and with previous background and repeated behaviour, eventually it gets too difficult to handle. We're talking authority and respect here, your kid needs to understand you're still playing the higher cards.

the_GoDdEsS
12-08-2006, 09:49 AM
You get the kid you deserve? Whoa. Sorry, but that's again unbelievably fucking retarded.

It's not relinquishing. Do you wash your hands of your child too if you send it to an institution for behavioural correction? No, because it's your choice you exercise over your own child. Sometimes they need professional guidance.

the_GoDdEsS
12-08-2006, 09:55 AM
You as a parent devolved it to professionals, which means you have the authority to send your child away, but it's still your decision to do so. You do not exercise it directly when your kid is under the authority of professionals. Duh. Don't start picking on the semantics.

the_GoDdEsS
12-08-2006, 10:11 AM
With your pretentious, confused and cunty English, who does? You were the one who missed and ignored my point on authority as decision making and then started to correct me on something I was not talking about at all. That's like looking for little loopholes just to digress.

JoY
12-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Per, I can't believe you know me this badly. I am NOT even going to explain myself. I'm completely stunned & flabbergasted. I also can't believe you think it matters whether the present was expensive, or not. so it's a bigger "crime", when it's an expensive present that was opened early? *raises eyebrow* I come from a family that has plenty of money & I always got socks & a small book for Christmas. I seriously don't see the point, except I wasn't spoiled on a materialistic level, which is good.

EDIT; if you meant the child is spoiled, or something along those lines (seeing he also steals from his own mother, he probably has more cash than a kid of his age normally would need), then it is relevant & then I was thinking about the same.

Maria, speculations on what I would do/would have done are useless. but if I had a child that young & that fucked up (the situation you described), I think I'd seriously start questioning myself as a mother & take me & my kid into therapy, or something.

Sim, I've considered that option. surely what you threaten to do, you must live upto when it comes to that point. suppose you tell a problematic child you're going to call the cops if he opens the present & he opens the present.. well then, you told him what the consequences would be & if you don't live upto your own threat, which is basically a promiss, you lose respect, you're unpredictable, et cetera, right?

but there are other punishments one can threaten with & she probably thought that if she'd threaten with the police, he wouldn't do it. there's no way she thought about the option that he would open the present with that threat in mind, or she wouldn't have made it. I mean, come on. no matter how extreme & wild the situation has gotten, you don't call the cops on your child. the mother has pushed herself in a position she didn't have a choice, not the kid, because she chose to threaten with the police.

plus, "hey, you gotta respect me, or else I'll call the cops on you"? if anything, he's going to respect the policeforce, not his mother. because ultimately she doesn't punish him for disrespecting her, she's letting the police do it for her. she might've made the decision to send him away, but she doesn't fix the problem herself. if every parent could successfully get respect from their child by sending them elsewhere, I don't know what would become of the world.

look at all the other stuff the kid has pulled, how much he's out of control & how young he's got to be. I fully agree that it's not completely her fault. what about the father? & if she's raising him all by herself, then what kind of impact & influence does his absence have? what if the kid is indeed very problematic? she isn't fully to blame for having a child gone wild & not having any control over him, but she's undoubtly partly to blame. & if this is her solution to a problem like this, then I'd say it's probable she's for a large part to blame.

PS. of course everything I've said on the matter is subjective & only my point of view. every single post in this topic is.

JoY
12-08-2006, 10:47 AM
to Maria; mothering, parenthood is complicated & extremely difficult. there's not a right or wrong, as Sim has suggested it's a matter of what works in a particular situation for that particular child. (not saying that'd ever make me find the fact she forced herself in a position she had to call the cops on her babe a-okay) one thing, though; a child is not responsible, OR irresponsible for everything. it needs to learn it can control its own behaviour & that when it makes a mistake, there are going to be consequences. then there's reinforcement, complimenting, rewarding good behaviour, et cetera. when you don't have any control over your own baby, then you've got a) one difficult child, b) work on your position of authority.

lately I've been burried in children psychiatry & psychology, thanks to the latest theme we studied in school. (I passed, by the way! got a good grade, too - yayz) remember I told you a little something about what I was studying? with the authorative parents, indifferent parents, et cetera? you can give guidance, tell a kid right from wrong, but you need to explain why wrong is wrong & why right is right & that both have their own consequences. not necessarily does the consequence of what's wrong need to be a punishment, but for instance embarrassment in this case, or whatever is the effect of his own doing. explanation on why things work that way is important & an explanation why it for instance would've been more fun if he'd had opened it together with the rest of the family, et cetera. also, when you do punish a kid, explaining why you do & giving an appropriate punishment that fits the "crime" is important.

still everything is too generalised to be applied to everyone. essentially it makes sense & you'd say a kid develops a conscience when raised this way, but some kids are simply put a pain in the ass. STILL I agree with you & myself, that this mother most likely has failed at some point. someone said the child was at least 12? that'd make the mother 15 when she got him. I'd say that's a bad start to begin with.

the_GoDdEsS
12-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Bella, I'm not claiming calling the cops was a good solution and that it would solve all the discipline problems. I just think condemning the mother immediately without circumstances is pretty harsh. But yeah, parenting.

As for psychology, I sat through all of my developmental psychology, children's psychology etc. classes as part of teacher's education. They give you some basic idea but in practice they're pretty much worthless and like you've said, maybe only good as guidelines. But it's far too theoretical, even if you read a case study, you're not directly involved. As when you're confronted with reality, each case is individual, you learn to deal with kids and understand them through experience.

randman21
12-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Petty larceny wasn't the extent of his mischief. He punched the shit out of a cop, and, at his age, no amount of good parenting from this particular mother is going to reverse that kind of behavior. Thus, I'm wondering why, if she's such a terrible parent, shouldn't she give up?

Calling the cops was not the best solution, but I think it certainly is not as bad as doing nothing. I think the behavior-correction facility option is the best for a mother that can't handle her child, which, I imagine, costs a lot of money. So, what else is she to do?

randman21
12-08-2006, 12:11 PM
haha, he smashed a cop's. woo hoo, what a lovable child. it's far worse than the xmas prez mischief, though. why give up now? he seems almost behaved now, by comparison.

but as it is, I do not care which way or the other, she's inadequate, & her son is a little Attila.

P.S.: ever thought of calling your child Attila?

Haha.

Well, I think I've invested too much into this story. I'm really starting to have concern for all of these people. I hope they do get the help this kid needs.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 12:13 PM

I didn't shoplift or punch policemen.

_Kristen_
12-08-2006, 12:38 PM
calling the cops for opening a christmas present early? wow...

HeadAroundU
12-08-2006, 01:11 PM
By calling the police, she de facto relinquished authority on her child. She washes her hands of him. She's stupid. You get the kid you deserve. (barring the congenital malformations)
hahaha, ok, I know that you are deluded but I'm still surprised again and again.

You deserve one little, deluded, retarded devil.

JoY
12-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Bella, I'm not claiming calling the cops was a good solution and that it would solve all the discipline problems. I just think condemning the mother immediately without circumstances is pretty harsh. But yeah, parenting.

As for psychology, I sat through all of my developmental psychology, children's psychology etc. classes as part of teacher's education. They give you some basic idea but in practice they're pretty much worthless and like you've said, maybe only good as guidelines. But it's far too theoretical, even if you read a case study, you're not directly involved. As when you're confronted with reality, each case is individual, you learn to deal with kids and understand them through experience.

fully agreed. of course you can't standardise (is it even a word? because I use it all the time) parenting, but providing guidelines that would generally work in theory, yeah. I'd say they're overal pretty good guidelines, but I realise it won't work in every situation, or with every kid. not to mention they're not going to work in every culture. it's just some kind of ideal.

I was an impossible teenager at times. seriously, it was bad. & there were moments everything was out of everyone's control, especially mine. if my mother wouldn't have taken control in whatever way at some point, I'm not sure how that story would've ended. I didn't always agree with/like the ways she regained control, but someone had to do it & she did, to give it back to me when everything was straightened out again. & yeah, I'm grateful. I'm grateful she was the one to set me straight & that she was the one who helped me out the best way she could, because now she will always remain the one I trust, feel safe with/around & gives comfort & support when I need it. it wouldn't have been the same, if it would've been any other way.

ninthlayer
12-08-2006, 03:43 PM
I stopped reading this thread when the walls of text started popping up, but I thought it was really funny that the police report said "Playstation Gameboy."

JoY
12-08-2006, 03:46 PM
I didn't shoplift or punch policemen.

besides the matter that originally this is about a child being arrested for opening a present early... well, I did shoplift, until I developed a conscience, based on the knowledge of what's right & what's wrong. not that no one taught me, I wanted to see everything for myself. I'm, or well, was annoying like that, but as you read, so is the kid.

I can say this a million times; people aren't born with a conscience. seeing standard ages at which that is fully, completely developed in the "Western world", he's too young to even be at that point. if it isn't explained to him why it is wrong to steal, even if he IS being punished for it, he's not going to get it. this could be going on his entire life; what if no one ever guided the kid & explained a thing or two about rules, morals, values & laws & why they exist? it doesn't make him a dumb kid, he just doesn't get it. & that could be caused by a number of things, of which he himself is the last link of the chain.

randman; we've already established (or at least, I think so) it's most likely this mother has failed at parenting more than once, which leads a (problematic) child to misbehave. he can't possibly be much older than twelve, so don't say he "beat the shit out of a cop". they had training, the boy has nothing on them. he punched a cop with his limp kiddy arm - unless the cop was kneeling to his level to look him in the eye, he probably reached his god damn thigh. for all I care she gives up on raising him, but we're discussing that the fact she handed him over to the cops establishes she's incompetent when it comes to raising her own child. it could very well be he's a drama on legs & a problematic kid, but that still wouldn't take away the fact she clearly can't handle him & thus is incompetent. that's all.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 03:47 PM
The age of reasoning is 7.

JoY
12-08-2006, 03:49 PM
I stopped reading this thread when the walls of text started popping up, but I thought it was really funny that the police report said "Playstation Gameboy."

my fault, as usual. sorries. I take too fucking long to come to my god damn point & even then it's way too often misunderstood. my train of thought doesn't go like this; ----->, but like this; \/\/\/\->.

JoY
12-08-2006, 04:18 PM
The age of reasoning is 7.

ah, sweet! textbook examples! *grabs hers*

at the age of 7-12 it's still extremely difficult for most children to think in abstractions, hypothesis & theories. children are able to reason much earlier in their lives & are aware of much more things, than was assumed in the past. till the age of 7, children's reasoning is what's described as "magical thinking". there's logic in it, but the connections & associations aren't in place. for instance; "my mother is sick, because I whined so much today". time-wise it can look like a cause-consequent relation to them, when it in fact has nothing to do with each other, except one event followed the other. but still, they make connections between different events & are aware of the meaning of "sick", "whining" & who is what. the child was whining, his mother is sick. perfect reasoning so far right there.

from the age of 7-12 critical conscience development takes place. three stages are mentioned by Lawrence Kohlberg, but eventually his theories don't take personal differences, or cultural differences into acount.
the first stage is the preconventional stage. children learn what's right & wrong from reward & punishment. it's assumed this stage lasts until the age of 9.
the next stage is the conventional stage; what's good & bad becomes more internalised. it's more dependent of norms, rules & laws in social structures/groups. what appears to be correct/right/good within a group, reinforces that behavior of the child. this stage of conscience is assumed to be developed somewhere around 9-12.
the last stage is the postconventional stage, which is said it isn't reached by everyone. it's based on personal theories, ideas & opinions & experienced responsibility, when it comes to general human(-e) morals, values & the norm. so when it comes to your own behaviour in relation to functioning in social surroundings.

as for my rambling on authoritative, authoritive, permissive & indifferent parents & the effects of different ways of parenting (what Maria referred to); it's somewhere in another topic.

oh yes, textbook examples. always work flawlessly & can be applied to everyone.

ninthlayer
12-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Textbook example of dicks in yo' mouf.

Why is everyone getting so butthurt over this lolworthy article?

wheelchairman
12-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Per, I can't believe you know me this badly. I am NOT even going to explain myself. I'm completely stunned & flabbergasted. I also can't believe you think it matters whether the present was expensive, or not. so it's a bigger "crime", when it's an expensive present that was opened early? *raises eyebrow* I come from a family that has plenty of money & I always got socks & a small book for Christmas. I seriously don't see the point, except I wasn't spoiled on a materialistic level, which is good.

I'm not questioning whether you or spoiled not. I wasn't even talking about you. I was talking about the kid. In America, that would be an expensive gift. Which might be why the mother behaved that way. Something he wanted most, and something she really wanted him to appreciate. And he pulls that stupid stunt. Would throw me into a rage.

JoY
12-08-2006, 04:30 PM
I'm not questioning whether you or spoiled not. I wasn't even talking about you. I was talking about the kid. In America, that would be an expensive gift. Which might be why the mother behaved that way. Something he wanted most, and something she really wanted him to appreciate. And he pulls that stupid stunt. Would throw me into a rage.

I wasn't talking about myself either. you took yourself as an example & I tried to do the same to see what the hell your point was. I just tried to see why you used yourself as an example, because when I thought I understood your point, I stumbled on your Christmas experiences & got lost. I understand what you meant now, though.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm seriously done with this thread. Sean is right, it's gotten far too serious and involved for something so lame/funny.

JoY
12-08-2006, 04:38 PM
he is, but I was so bored.:(

next time I feel the urge to turn things into huge deals again, I'll try to stop myself from doing so in advance. so, so tiring, annoying & grr. makes me annoyed with myself.