PDA

View Full Version : Mota Boy's Thought of the Night

Mota Boy
12-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Personally, I totally dig that certain countries have metaphoric animals. For instance, you talk about "The Bear" and everyone (everyone who's cool, anyway) knows that you're talkin' 'bout Russia. Mention "The Dragon" and you're really sayin' shit about China. Say "The Eagle" and if someone doesn't know you're referencing the USA, then it's perfectly legal to smack them. Seriously, look it up.

But after those countries, what?

England's mascot is the Bulldog, but I haven't really heard that used too much. Is it more prevalent across the pond? And New Zealanders are kiwis, but frankly that's just kinda gay. And it refers to their citizens, for cryin' out loud! Nobody says "The Kiwi has grown increasingly hostile to foreign interests over the past few years..." or anything cool like that. So does your country have an official mascot? If Canada has any, I really hope it's "The Beaver", because that provides endless opportunity for puns.

Also, while I'm on the subject, I'm pretty sure America has the best damn chant of any nation. Seriously, who can rival "U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A!" I just imagine people chanting "France, France, France, France" and then giving up. Because really, the more you say "France", the more ridiculous is sounds. Go on, say it a bunch of times. It's like the weaksauce name "Francis", but without even the conviction to carry on to the second syllable. And it rhymes with "pants", which doesn't help the cause at all.

Llamas
12-07-2006, 09:45 PM
New Zealanders are kiwis, but frankly that's just kinda gay. And it refers to their citizens, for cryin' out loud! Nobody says "The Kiwi has grown increasingly hostile to foreign interests over the past few years..." or anything cool like that. So does your country have an official mascot? If Canada has any, I really hope it's "The Beaver", because that provides endless opportunity for puns.

NZ isn't really the kiwis... kiwis are a particular race of people. Most new zealanders aren't kiwis at all, just the really unciviled religious nuts who butcher english :-P but really, they're just one race of people on the island. Not comparable at all.

And I think of Canada as Maple Leaves, haha. I know it doesn't count.

And USA is the worst chant ever! Iowa spells out their state name hundreds of times at every football game, and we do, too, which is ridiculous when your state name has 9 letters!

However, I think France's cheer is really very simple: "Fuck the French!"

The shadow
12-07-2006, 09:56 PM
I laughed. A lot.

Lizardus
12-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Mexico has the cock.

But i'm not mexican, so it doesn't count.
The only animal i can think of that is related to my general area of residence is the parrot.

JohnnyNemesis
12-07-2006, 10:26 PM
I really missed these threads. But don't diss pants. It's the best word in our language.

Oh, and pro-wrestling fans undoubtedly do associate England with bulldogs. But that's just a few people.

Llamas
12-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Mexico has the cock.

I love this.

JohnnyNemesis
12-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Pfft, you don't love the cock, fag!

Llamas
12-07-2006, 10:38 PM
No, but I love Mexicans!

Venom Symbiote
12-07-2006, 11:11 PM
...A kiwi is a bird. Or in some areas a fruit.

Not a race of people. New Zealanders are referred to "kiwis" by Australians in a friendly rivalry, but that's referencing the bird that lives there.

Llamas
12-07-2006, 11:29 PM
I know it's a bird and a fruit. I didn't mean it's an official term for a race of people... it's what those people are called internationally. When people talk about Kiwis, I know they're talking about a particular type of people in New Zealand. It's common here.

Little_Miss_1565
12-07-2006, 11:33 PM
I'm a bird that's also a fruit. does that make me a kiwi? ;)

Endymion
12-08-2006, 12:26 AM
I'm a bird that's also a fruit. does that make me a kiwi? ;)

mega heart points!

ps: yes, it does.

calichix
12-08-2006, 12:47 AM
this sooo made me giggle and say "OORAH." especially because you said "weaksauce". you were mos def californian in another life, Mota Boy.

Mota Boy
12-08-2006, 01:10 AM
NZ isn't really the kiwis... kiwis are a particular race of people.
Are you sure you aren't thinking of "Maori"? Because I'll put down fifty bucks that says anyone from New Zealand is called a kiwi.

I really missed these threads. But don't diss pants. It's the best word in our language.
Point taken, but it's not the best word out there for the object it describes. To quote a Vin Diesel fact: "Vin Diesel created the Spanish language because he liked the word 'pantalones' and needed a language in which to use it in context." Anyway - fun trivia question: do you know the difference between Mota Boy's Thoughts of the Day and Mota Boy's Thoughts of the Night? Although it's true that one happens during the day and one happens during the night, the main difference is that all of Mota Boy's Thoughts of the Night are written while I'm drunk. Seriously, some of them are pretty retarded.

Also, I'm going to use this a bit as my personal blog, because why the fuck not. While hanging out with my friends, one of whom is thirty, considers me his favorite person in the world (while drunk), and gets very, very drunk, thirty-somethin' drunk dude starts telling me to skedaddle. I don't entirely understand, but what the fuck. So I try to bide my time around the bar. I find one - ONE! - guy in the whole hole-in-the-wall smokin' a cigarette and, as he's playing darts at the time, ask his friends for a fag. After it turns out they're all empty and I point out he has one, one girl says "Well, you can try him, but he's an asshole." So I turn to the man (who, in a vaguely intimidating fashion, has shaved his head bald), and he shoots me down. Then he notices that I have a Mao Zedong shirt on. He starts askin' me "What do you know about Mao?" So I start throwing some shit out there, like how he killed a lot of people, and was born in X and lived until Y and was a dick. All the wrong answers, Asshole shrugs me off. After two or three misses, I think I get it. "Nothing", I reply. *Bing bing bing!* The guy gives me a somewhat approving nod and proceeds to start lecturing me on Mao. How Mao was actually kinda good.

He doesn't know what he's talking about - Mao was a selfish son of a bitch who aggressively strengthened his own power at the expense of everyone else in the country. Seriously, the motherfucker deserves a very, very special place in hell. But ol' baldy likes Mao! He likes him! He compares Mao to Washington! I start trying to tell him he's wrong, but I quickly learn I won't get anywhere. At the same time, Baldy's friend starts talking to me about Oppenheimer and we have a discussion over the ethics of dropping the bomb on Japan. Meanwhile, the girls are trying to drag them back to the dartboard in increasing disgust. Finally, I say that I should probably leave to let them get back to their game. I say "Well, it's been fun." at which point one of the dames looks at me and says "No, really, it hasn't." Cold. And I head back. But not before the bald asshole finally deems me worthy and, unprompted, hands me a cigarette.

Just a fun vignette.

Vera
12-08-2006, 01:50 AM
My country has no animal. Or no animal that makes sense. Our national animal is the bear (aww them teddies) but our coins etc have a lion. Our national hockey team is nicknamed "the lions" as well. WTF. This is not a natural habitat for friggin' lions! But according to the nation's myth, we're like courageous. Like lions! So we're lions. Rawr.

Our national bird is the swan - oh yeah, that's original - and ironically Finnish mythology connects swan with death and hell and sadness. So courageous animal who doesn't live here, a death bird or a mascot of Russia? Take your pick, Finland, now's the time.

Sin Studly
12-08-2006, 01:52 AM
1. There's some schoolyard game here called British Bulldogs, so we associate the Brits with the Bulldog, but don't talk shit like "the Bulldog". Besides, that game sucked after society turned vaginated and schools banned the part where you run as fast as you can at the other kid and slam your elbow into his face (the best part of all Australian sports).

2. We have duel animal emblems, the kangaroo and the emu. Which is kinda gay, but we make up for it by being the only nation I know of that regularly eats our national animals.

3. 'Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie! Oi Oi O!" is far superior to "U-S-A, U-S-A", as evidenced in any Australian race riot (http://media.smh.com.au/?rid=17645&sy=smh&source=smh.com.au%2Fnews%2Fnational%2Fneonazis-in-race-riots-police%2F2005%2F12%2F12%2F1134235970427.html&t=0J77K2&ie=1&player=wm7&rate=193&flash=1). (1:08)

JoY
12-08-2006, 03:18 AM
Brits are associated with bulldogs, because both of them have one ugly fucking face.

Bazza
12-08-2006, 03:22 AM
Brits are associated with bulldogs, because both of them have one ugly fucking face.

Thanks.

The Bulldog isn't seen as any sort of national symbol over here, except maybe with BNP activists.

JoY
12-08-2006, 03:24 AM
quit fishing for compliments.

Bazza
12-08-2006, 03:26 AM
It's worth a try. If I didn't do it someone else would :p

wheelchairman
12-08-2006, 04:25 AM
Oregon's state animal is the beaver. :(

As for Denmark, I don't think we have one. All our animals died long ago.

JoY
12-08-2006, 04:33 AM
the Netherlands got a lion.

Sin Studly
12-08-2006, 05:01 AM
Give me compliments or I'll air all your dirty little fucking secrets on the board.

^ Dynamite fishing is better.

Duskygrin
12-08-2006, 07:30 AM
What an interesting thread. France's mascot is the cockerel. Cocoricooooooo! (= cock-a-doodle-doo)

As for our French motto, it's Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité, or "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity" (awfully hard to translate, isn't it).

Our French symbol, however, is Marianne with her phrygian cap & as painted by Delacroix.

mrconeman
12-08-2006, 08:32 AM
The Irish symbol is a harp, I think we're the only country to use a musical instrument as our symbol, which is cool.

The closest we've had to having an animal as a symbol is The Irish Guards regiment that fought in both world wars, they were symbolized by an Irish Wolfhound, which is the tallest breed of dog in the world, or so I think.

wheelchairman
12-08-2006, 10:06 AM
What an interesting thread. France's mascot is the cockerel. Cocoricooooooo! (= cock-a-doodle-doo)

As for our French motto, it's Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité, or "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity" (awfully hard to translate, isn't it).

Our French symbol, however, is Marianne with her phrygian cap & as painted by Delacroix.
The Americans don't know Marianne. But they know the Statue of Liberty. The Danes believe it's the Goddess of Liberty. Funny how it's moved a bit about.

Sin Studly
12-08-2006, 05:07 PM

That's a motto, not a chant. It doesn't count. America's is "In God we trust" and you don't see them chanting it drunkenly.

HeadAroundU
12-08-2006, 05:44 PM
"In Dog we trust", actually.:rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_animals

Camilamazed
12-08-2006, 07:13 PM
As for Denmark, I don't think we have one. All our animals died long ago.

the sadz. =|

Sinister
12-08-2006, 07:21 PM
I'm pretty sure our emblematic animal really is the beaver. And Quebec's is the snowy owl.http://www.soaringpanda.com/gelblog/archives/orly.jpeg
YA RLY.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 07:30 PM
I really enjoyed that post, sinister. I feel like such a dork now.

oh, and lol at the beaver.

Sinister
12-08-2006, 08:04 PM
I aim to please, and delivering the funnies is only one of the ways I use.

And you're not a dork, only a fag.

Paint_It_Black
12-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Wrong, she's also a whore.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 09:30 PM
I'm a whore and a fag... but atleast I'm not a dork. Whew!

Paint_It_Black
12-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Oh come on, Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

Tired_Of_You
12-08-2006, 09:41 PM
And Quebec's is the snowy owl.I couldn't remember which animal it was! Thanks.

England's actually the lion. Some countries have animals that don't even exist.

Lizardus
12-08-2006, 10:08 PM
They have tigers, in Kenya (http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/kenya/).

Duskygrin
12-09-2006, 02:01 AM
We do not have a chant that I'm aware of. Except in soccer, which is Allez les Bleus. Otherwise we sing La Marseillaise.

Mota Boy
12-09-2006, 02:19 AM
Hey you two - no interdecadal flirting in my thread.

JoY
12-09-2006, 03:50 AM
I'm pretty sure our emblematic animal really is the beaver. And Quebec's is the snowy owl.http://www.soaringpanda.com/gelblog/archives/orly.jpeg
YA RLY.

<3s 4u. that was good.

llamas is a nerdwhorefagdork. but she's kinda sexy, so she gets away with it. *nods*

Llamas
12-09-2006, 04:26 AM
Oh come on, Buffy the Vampire Slayer?
that just makes me more of a fag. ;)

llamas is a nerdwhorefagdork. but she's kinda sexy, so she gets away with it. *nods*
damn, that's quite the mix. I guess that makes me a sexynerdwhorefagdork.

JoY
12-09-2006, 04:47 AM
mentioning Buffy makes Richard a fag. boy, a hot blonde chick.. fighting vampires & shit.. getting all dirty & sweaty in the process.. us girls always have the appearance of Angel in the Buffy episodes, plus we're allowed to like chicks, because men find it sexy.