PDA

View Full Version : Ironic

wheelchairman
12-08-2006, 03:13 PM
The thought came over me a few days ago. About 4 or 5 years ago, AFI fans were annoying arrogant make up wearing faggots. And elitists. Oh it's true. About 5 years ago they hated the Offspring for selling out, becoming popular, something along those lines.

The ironic part is where AFI is now. Like LOL!

And I think 1565 has to explain why she thought that only on-topic threads about AFI were good and that the offspring bbs was too off topic. Grody. :(

Llamas
12-08-2006, 03:28 PM
I thought this topic was going to be about alanis morissette (also, when I first typed "alanis", I accidentally typed "analis"). Now I'm sad.

Tizzalicious
12-08-2006, 03:46 PM
"analis".

Lolz, you made this thread worth being posted.

Sin Studly
12-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Not quite....

JoY
12-08-2006, 05:43 PM
total lolz @ analis. *gigglegiggle*

got nothing further to say on the subject.

JohnnyNemesis
12-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Not quite....

I concur .

ninthlayer
12-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Put the extra spaces between the words, asshole.

JohnnyNemesis
12-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Eat my black meat.

78 Water
12-08-2006, 06:14 PM
I thought you were Mexican???

Camilamazed
12-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Also thought about Alanis =|

JohnnyNemesis
12-08-2006, 06:17 PM
You're an idiot.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 06:18 PM
I thought you were Mexican???

yes because all hispanic races are exactly the same!

Also thought about Alanis =|

I know, totally! bitches.

wheelchairman
12-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Needs more old school posters.

JoY
12-08-2006, 06:22 PM
I didn't think; "OH COOL, it's like Ironic 'n the thred is gonna b about Analis!!!1"

but I was like; "an old man, turned ninety-eight, he won the lotery, & died the next day.."

I can't help it. 'Ironic' is too cool for school.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 06:25 PM
I didn't think; "OH COOL, it's like Ironic 'n the thred is gonna b about Analis!!!1

well, obviously, that is exactly how my thought processes work. :)

But really, I saw Ironic and expected it to be a discussion about whether or not the Alanis song is actually ironic...

mrconeman
12-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Even if that song isn't Ironic, it's ironic that it's named Ironic.

JoY
12-08-2006, 06:29 PM
aw, I wasn't saying you, or anyone for that matter had that thought. I was just exaggerating the reaction I didn't have to the thread. lyke, omg, twuz totalie ironic 'n sarcazm 'n shit gul!!

<3

But really, I saw Ironic and expected it to be a discussion about whether or not the Alanis song is actually ironic...

well, can't say I share that thought.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Even if that song isn't Ironic, it's ironic that it's named Ironic.

Exactly. I think that she did it on purpose. :-P

aw, I wasn't saying you, or anyone for that matter had that thought. I was just exaggerating the reaction I didn't have to the thread. lyke, omg, twuz totalie ironic gul!!

<3

well, can't say I share that thought.

haha. yeah. well we've debated it a lot in highschool english classes and people like to debate it online. especially haters of Alanis.

JoY
12-08-2006, 06:34 PM
are you freaking serious?

that's the most disturbing thing I've heard all week. & all week I've been working on a theme in medicine about dying babies, so imagine my shock now.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 06:34 PM
what are you shocked about exactly?? I'm confused. :(

JoY
12-08-2006, 06:37 PM
the things I put time into... the uselessness of all that... the level of which I have to be bored to do that.. I discuss things elaborately that don't matter too much, or aren't even really to be discussed. but to discuss if the song "Ironic" is ironic... is a new level of irony Alanis apparently indirectly reached.

wheelchairman
12-08-2006, 06:38 PM
But people who enjoy that conversation are douches.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 06:38 PM
hahaha. well, in an english class, it makes sense. We were learning about irony, and that song is a great example, no matter what you think about it.

But yes, discussing it just becausey ou want to... well I guess it's about as lame as anything we talk about here :p

Camilamazed
12-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Speaking of babies, I'd love to work as an Au Pair =)

JoY
12-08-2006, 06:40 PM
no it's worse. it's worse than marijuana (lolz), worse than the subject of parenting, it's worse.

JoY
12-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Speaking of babies, I'd love to work as an Au Pair =)

sorry, but what?

Llamas
12-08-2006, 06:43 PM
no it's worse. it's worse than marijuana (lolz), worse than the subject of parenting, it's worse.

I don't really see it that way... I don't know. Maybe I just enjoy discussing how things are viewed literally.

Camilamazed
12-08-2006, 06:44 PM
sorry, but what?

It just popped up my mind when you mentioned something about babies =)

ninthlayer
12-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Alanis wrote a song about Dave Coulier of Full House fame.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 06:47 PM
haha yes she did! and it was her angriest song that got the most attention. Hilarious.

Camilamazed
12-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Yes.

That IS Ironic.

She gots lots of millions and became famous for the song she wrote with so many hatred in her little heart hahaha

She'll never forget the dick ]xD

EMehl6
12-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Sorry to get back on topic here, but I'd like to say something about bands being called "sell-outs". It seems to happen a lot in punk. A band that's gotten big moves to a major labor, or starts getting time on MTV or something, and suddenly they're sell outs. It makes no sense to me.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Well, a band becomes a sell-out when they change their music to suit the mainstream.

AFI did change their music to fit the mainstream. They never would've gotten huge had they continued playing music in the vein of "shut your mouth" or "black sails". So they changed a lot for STS and then beyond drastically for decemberunderground. It feels mostly like a sell-out move, than a natural evolution.

EMehl6
12-08-2006, 09:09 PM
Well, a band becomes a sell-out when they change their music to suit the mainstream.

AFI did change their music to fit the mainstream. They never would've gotten huge had they continued playing music in the vein of "shut your mouth" or "black sails". So they changed a lot for STS and then beyond drastically for decemberunderground. It feels mostly like a sell-out move, than a natural evolution.

I know that, but I'm saying some bands don't, and just because they move to a major label or whatever, they're suddenly labeled sellouts, like the Offspring. They didn't change their music to suit the mainstream, the mainstream just kinda found them. They have changed musically a bit, but it's been natural progressions, and nothing super extreme no one expected. You can still here the classic Offspring in their songs.

AFI is definately a sellout, although I must say I like Decemeberunderground, and I hate all their other stuff. The reason I hate their old stuff is cause Davey couldn't sing at all, and it just made it sound like total shit.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Well... they were most definitely discovered with the success of smash, for sure. However, by signing with Columbia and thusly becoming famous and mainstream, they DID change their music. It became significantly poppier on that album. Then that album didn't do that well, so they changed their music even further on americana to fit the mainstream. I love the band, but they definitely sold out.

0r4ng3
12-08-2006, 09:24 PM
I don't think that AFI has sold out. Sure, their sound has changed in the past few years, but that's just the evolution of things. If they really sold out, they would have changed their image as well, which I didn't see happen. They're still as gothy and pretentious as they've always been.

Edit: Oh, you were talking about The Offspring. Never mind then.

EMehl6
12-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Well... they were most definitely discovered with the success of smash, for sure. However, by signing with Columbia and thusly becoming famous and mainstream, they DID change their music. It became significantly poppier on that album. Then that album didn't do that well, so they changed their music even further on americana to fit the mainstream. I love the band, but they definitely sold out.

Honestly, I don't see the poppiness on Ixnay. It's still pretty metal-inflicted punk. They just did a little experimenting in the more straight up rock/alternative rock area, I'm assuming because Self-Esteem, Gotta Get Away, etc. did so well. I don't think that's selling out though. They still have a lot of classic Offspring sound in their music. I mean, AFI's stuff is in no way shape or form like any of their old stuff. They completely abandoned it.

ninthlayer
12-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi, you couldn't be more incorrect on this.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 10:14 PM
what am I wrong about, though?

ninthlayer
12-08-2006, 10:35 PM
The natural evolution of AFI's sound part.

Yeah, decemberunderground seems like a huge shift, but take it in context. Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes and Very Proud of Ya are more different from each other than decemberunderground and Sing the Sorrow, with Sing the Sorrow not being all that different than the Art of Drowning. The progression and change are there, and not entirely difficult to take note of or follow.

Have you ever listened to AFI's catalogue (more or less) straight through in chronological order? The flow from Answer That and Stay Fashionable to Sing the Sorrow is easy as fuck to pick up on, with only two real eras of a constant sound (Answer That to Very Proud and Black Sails to Art of Drowning). From what attention I've paid to decemberunderground I find it not at all surprising or off the charts.

AFI constantly changes its sound. Decent bands tend to do that sort of thing, going to the point of pulling albums weeks before their release if they think that the sound is too much like their previous works (see also: Anyone for Doomsday?). If you want a band that doesn't change at all musically check out System of a Down or Barenaked Ladies. Oh wait...

I mean, it's not like I know anything about AFI or have been listening to them for the better part of a decade or anything. Whatevs.

WebDudette
12-08-2006, 10:38 PM
I agree with ninth 100%.

Apathy
12-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Bands that never change their sound tend to be riduculed for the very reason.
See: Pennywise or Mustard Plug.

They both were fun at first, then ten years later they're still putting out albums that sound exactly the same as the shit they did ten years before. Sooner or later... it gets old.

I'm not a big fan of newer AFI, but I'd probably be even less of a fan if they just kept rereleasing Black Sails. Know what I mean?

Llamas
12-08-2006, 10:44 PM
I think decemberunderground sounds much different from sts... but the shift from aod to sts is really important, anyway. That was the time between not famous to famous.

If you want a band that doesn't change at all musically check out System of a Down or Barenaked Ladies. Oh wait...
Are you serious? Now, you couldn't be more wrong. I get the impression that you've only heard singles... and if you've heard an album, it was only one album...

WebDudette
12-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Didn't see that. 99% I guess, because one band that has definetly changed is System of a Down.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Bands that never change their sound tend to be riduculed for the very reason.
See: Pennywise or Mustard Plug.
now those are bands that never change.

They both were fun at first, then ten years later they're still putting out albums that sound exactly the same as the shit they did ten years before. Sooner or later... it gets old. and I agree with that.

I'm not a big fan of newer AFI, but I'd probably be even less of a fan if they just kept rereleasing Black Sails. Know what I mean?
I also agree with this.

I'm not trying to claim that it's not important for bands to change their sound over time. The only band I can think of who hasn't changed their sound over time and hasn't gotten boring is Tool. AFI's change just feels very intentional toward the radio. To me.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Didn't see that. 99% I guess, because one band that has definetly changed is System of a Down.
System has changed every bit as much as AFI, actually, if not more.

WebDudette
12-08-2006, 10:48 PM
I know, I was disagreeing with ninth about System of a Down staying the same.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 10:49 PM
And I was agreeing and furthering your comment. :)

BNL has changed a LOOOOOT, too. Every album has a much different feel to it, and their song structure and style has changed drastically... not to mention the member changes they endured.

WebDudette
12-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Blah, my brain is tired. When I first read it I though you were under the impression that I thought they had stayed the same. Me=stupid.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 10:51 PM
It's cool. :)

I don't see how anyone could say that "Soil" sounds anything like "Lonely Day"...

Or how "If I had $1,000,000" sounds anything like "Easy"...

WebDudette
12-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Eveyrtime I think of Bare Naked Ladies I think of 'Theres a restaurant down the street where hungry people like to eat.'.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 10:57 PM
haha. One thing I love about that band is that quite a few of their songs (like that one) seem very goofy and silly on the surface, but are actually really deep/angry. That song is actually about not liking who you've turned into and wishing you could start over... even though they say things like "I could hide out under there... I just made you say underwear".

WebDudette
12-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Hmm... I listened to them a bit back in 7th grade, I'm going to download a couple of songs you make them sound interesting.

Paint_It_Black
12-09-2006, 12:53 AM
Are you serious?

Of course he wasn't.

JohnnyNemesis
12-09-2006, 02:34 AM
What ninth said is true. I've been listening to AFI since late 1997/early 1998, and Shut Your Mouth was definitely the most shocking shift in their music.

I've also been listening to System of a Down since 1998, and while they have gone through drastic changes in their sound, they have not undergone a chance even remotely close to the shifts AFI made in their music.

Sin Studly
12-09-2006, 03:09 AM
AFI always sucked, faggots.

ninthlayer
12-09-2006, 04:16 AM
AFI always sucked, faggots.
Okay BREAK.

Sin Studly
12-09-2006, 04:26 AM
Every band that he liked sucked too.

JohnnyNemesis
12-09-2006, 10:11 AM
I agree, fuck BREAK.

Wait, what were we talking about again?

ninthlayer
12-09-2006, 02:20 PM
I like BREAK.

wheelchairman
12-09-2006, 02:25 PM
I've been listening to AFI since 2000. :(

Yeah there is a clear shift at Shut Your Mouth. Cause the first two albums were trash...

Then there is another clear shift at Sing The Sorrows. But that was the obvious direction they were heading for if you listen to Black Sails - AOD and then Sing the Sorrow. Actually that was their direction from Shut Your Mouth practically.

So to sum it up, Ninth was right and said it better than I did.

Also, Davey Havoc's face make up is fucking gay. And I miss the days when that comment would offend people.

JohnnyNemesis
12-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Cause the first two albums were trash...

Untrue. I mean, there's a bit too much filler on some of them, but some of their better songs ever came from those albums: Perfect Fit, He Who Laughs Last, Advances in Modern Technology, Self Pity...Wake Up Call...etc.

wheelchairman
12-09-2006, 02:34 PM
I found them boring. Breakfast Wars? wtf.

JohnnyNemesis
12-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Cereal Wars.

Sin Studly
12-09-2006, 02:38 PM
I like BREAK.

Well I don't.

mrconeman
02-17-2007, 06:30 AM
I thought this topic was going to be about alanis morissette (also, when I first typed "alanis", I accidentally typed "analis"). Now I'm sad.

Sorry everybody, but I simply had to bump this post, for this link.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nT1TVSTkAXg

khaaaaan
02-17-2007, 07:41 AM
That did make my smile

JoY
02-17-2007, 08:49 AM
I loved; "here's Alanis Morissette with her new single Ptoah, taken from the album Hmfnuh"