PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Six!

wheelchairman
12-08-2006, 03:19 PM
So in an attempt to recapture our childhood, my friend Phillip and I have been purchasing enormous amounts of gummi bears and coca cola. And then playing Final Fantasy 6 until we fall asleep in a pile of our own filth.

Anyways, this game is awesome and we have been taking screen shots (one is edited, can you guess which one?). And yes, that's MS Paint skillz.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/wheelchairman/fuckyoulady.jpg

Ah memories.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/wheelchairman/mynameishitler.jpg

OMG Funniez! It even looks like him!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/wheelchairman/saddam.jpg

Hitlerdog and all the sieg heiling soldiers. Awesome!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/wheelchairman/siegheil.jpg

Vera
12-08-2006, 03:22 PM
This is sacrilice. I'm never speaking to you again. :(

*casts Ultima on your ass* :mad:

wheelchairman
12-08-2006, 04:02 PM
oh I'm sorry. I mean Final Fantasy 3.

Endymion
12-08-2006, 04:10 PM
ff6 = best ff game evar.

mrconeman
12-08-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm partial to 7 myself...yes I do realize everyone says that.

wheelchairman
12-08-2006, 05:14 PM
You're a child. :(
The last game I played was Final Fantasy 9. It was fun, but the main character was like 13 and I was all like "oh fuck this is gay."

Vera
12-08-2006, 05:35 PM
oh I'm sorry. I mean Final Fantasy 3.

I mean the Hitler stuff. :p To me that game is FF6, too, none of this Yankee 3 bullshit..

Venom Symbiote
12-08-2006, 06:36 PM
YES!

Old-school. 7 was the very last one worth playing, before Square turned all teh ghey.

6 and 7 are probably my favourites, even though I never owned a Playstation to play 7 on. Still, finished it a few times, very cool game.

wheelchairman
12-08-2006, 06:43 PM
I never played 7. 8 totally sucked. I got to like disc 2 and gave up.
9 was awesome.

The gameboy games were fantastic. Utterly amazing.

mrconeman
12-08-2006, 06:50 PM
You people fucking fail.
FF8 was a great game and probably had the best soundtrack (something I rank of high importance in a RPG game) in terms of consistency. FF9 is when Square fell into sucktitude.

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-08-2006, 07:01 PM
FF8 = Best Final Fantasy ever. And nothing will convince me otherwise.

nieh
12-08-2006, 07:27 PM
6 = Yay and is actually the only one I've played the whole way through. 5 is quite fun too and the dialogue is hilarious (though not intentionally). My friend says 12 is pretty decent so far but he didn't like 6 and liked all the newer ones except 10-2 so I dunno.

Not even the fact that you're wrong?

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Not even the fact I'm.. hey hey, I nearly fell for that one! Holler!

mrconeman
12-08-2006, 07:30 PM
It's great and all, though 6 and 7 were better.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 07:31 PM
this thread is full of LOL. nerds!

and since 7 is the only one I've ever played, it winz.

WebDudette
12-08-2006, 07:33 PM
I can't believe I have never played a Final Fantasy game. I'm a horrible person it would seem.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 07:36 PM
I thought 7 was alright... but I never, ever understood the mass cultlike appeal FF has. I honestly never beat the game because I got really, really bored in the second disc. I got really tired of the same old battles over and over again.

nieh
12-08-2006, 07:37 PM
No, for the most part the series is incredibly overrated. The dialogue is typically atrocious, the over-seriousness of everything is painful, the few attempts at humor are normally terrible. The only real reason to play most of them is for the gameplay itself. Or maybe I've just lost interest in that sort of thing.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 07:40 PM
oh god... the dialogue... and the over-seriousness... yeah I think those bothered me a tonnnn, too.

The only thing that got me to keep playing were the movie sequences.

mrconeman
12-08-2006, 07:40 PM
I agree it's really, really over-rated.
But that's due to 3 or 4 properly amazing games in the series. I don't agree with some of the rest of what you said, but yeah, definatly over-rated.
I fucking HATE, how everyone uses FF as the staple with which to compare ever other RPG ever. In some aspects the first two Suikoden games on the PS1 are endlessly superior to just about every Final Fantasy, or that's my opinion anyway.

ninthlayer
12-08-2006, 07:42 PM
I only finished FFVII once, with like all of my limit breaks saved since Jenova. Once Sepiroth went into his faggot form I bust out all three limit breaks and lol, that was game?

Venom Symbiote
12-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Oh, and I'm agreeing with all that is said here. Final Fantasy is by no means the definitive RPG series, it never has been, but it's arguably the most popular.

Dragon Quest/Warrior, Fire Emblem, Chrono Trigger, Golden Sun, Terranigma, Earthbound and Secret of Mana all kick the hell out of them.

And I really really hate Square's (not Square Enix, I guess) game philosophy. 5 minutes of gameplay then sit through a 20-minute cutscene, repeat process. Fuck that.

But 6 and 7 were amazing. I've played all of them before that, and I played about halfway through 8, haven't bothered with any of them past that.

wheelchairman
12-08-2006, 07:50 PM
8 was boring.

My main problem with FF is that the protagonists are all pathetic. But that's also my main joy.

I never really saw a difference between Dragon Quest and your typical final fantasy. And isn't the Chrono series made by square as well?

Final Fantasy 9 was good fun.

78 Water
12-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Have you played Dragon Quest 8? That game rules.

nieh
12-08-2006, 07:53 PM
And isn't the Chrono series made by square as well?

Yes. Chrono Trigger is fantastic though. Chrono Cross started off ok but just got worse and worse as it went on and ended up completely shitting on itself and Chrono Trigger on the second disc.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 07:57 PM
I think I played dragon quest once, and it felt like FF with better graphics.

Oh, and both names for a game are horrible. Final Fantasy is worse, though.

78 Water
12-08-2006, 07:59 PM
o_0 what??! Final Fantasy is an incredible title.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 08:00 PM
The fantasy part is fine... but the final part? what's final about it? there were like NINE of them...

and wtf stop trying to prove me wrong! lol

78 Water
12-08-2006, 08:01 PM
It may not be so accurate, but the title sounds incredible.

Final Fantasy. Say it out loud.

mrconeman
12-08-2006, 08:02 PM
The director of Final Fantasy was going to make Final Fantasy 1 his final game.
Hence Final, but it was popular so they kept going.
Or at least I read that somewhere. That and the stories are un-related so it's a good name I think.
And theres 12 of them, not including spinoffs.

Scratch "good name". It's a great sounding name, it rolls off the tongue and easily relates to the games.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 08:03 PM
well, I wasn't talking about how it sounds. it's a horrible title as in what it means. the only good thing about how it sounds is the alliteration... and fantasy is a cool sounding word.

78 Water
12-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Dragon Quests sucks though...ugh, so unoriginal.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 08:04 PM
The director of Final Fantasy was going to make Final Fantasy 1 his final game.
Hence Final, but it was popular so they kept going.
Or at least I read that somewhere. That and the stories are un-related so it's a good name I think.
And theres 12 of them, not including spinoffs.

Scratch "good name". It's a great sounding name, it rolls off the tongue and easily relates to the games.

haha I like that.

And them having un-related stories makes it make less sense, I think. I mean, if they were all part of one ongoing story, it'd be like each one was a different part of a final fantasy... but there are 12 FINAL fantasies? I dunno. It's like final destination 1 and 2, haha.

But yes, it does sound fine.

mrconeman
12-08-2006, 08:09 PM
I was thinking along the lines of all 12 being conclusive games in their own right.
So they are each a Final Fantasy, in that story/game/universe, you know what I mean.
But you have a point, I mean there is Final Fantasy 10 - part 2, which is kind of stupid.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 08:10 PM
yeah. end of discussing the title, I didn't mean for it to go this far.... was just a comment. :-P

umm... I used to think cloud was hot when I was like 12.

edit: best part of 7:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/55/Cloudchocobo.JPG/300px-Cloudchocobo.JPG

mrconeman
12-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Fucking yes.
7 had the best mini-games ever.
Breeding a Gold Chocobo and finally beating that guy with the black chocobo (Theo or something?) in the races was so satisfying.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 08:18 PM
...I just realized that I think I'm the only girl who ever posts in the video game threads... :(

78 Water
12-08-2006, 08:23 PM
I have to stop playing so many video games.

Which is why on the password change screen I typed in random letters. So when I log out, I won't be able to log on ever again. Damn.

Venom Symbiote
12-08-2006, 08:33 PM
...I just realized that I think I'm the only girl who ever posts in the video game threads... :(

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/_common/images/bios/bios_lilah.jpg

:confused: Could it be? Heh.

All About Eve
12-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Not even ME AGREEING WITH YOU?

Six is second, though. And I've said that I fucking love that game many times, and no one's ever said anything about it until now.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 08:34 PM
but ethan annoys the SHIT out of me! she is insane. unlike me. :-P

Venom Symbiote
12-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Haha, yeah. Lucas is still the funniest, he's so like bitter and sarcastic.

Ethan's entertaining in that kind of "want to hit the guy" kind of way. Lilah and Zeke are ok, meh.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Haha, yeah. Lucas is still the funniest, he's so like bitter and sarcastic.

Ethan's entertaining in that kind of "want to hit the guy" kind of way. Lilah and Zeke are ok, meh.

lucas owns. my favorite character. ethan... he's like a love/hate relationship. hilarious (especially with decemberween), but man he annoys me too much. lilah is lame and boring... zeke is the xbot, yes? hilarious. i love the innuendos with game machines he uses.

Venom Symbiote
12-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Yeah. It's too bad Tim Buckley is an asshole, because I enjoy his comic so, so very much. Feel almost bad giving him money for merch and subscriptions and stuff, a torn feeling - I love his work and want to support it, but apparently the folks in the "webcomic scene" have a pretty common opinion that he's a prick.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Are his other comics link on the ctrl alt del site? I didn't know he had other ones.

Do you know what about him makes him known as a prick? I can see it, though. He's got a very elitist attitude underlying the ctrl alt del comics.

Venom Symbiote
12-08-2006, 08:56 PM
You can kind of see it come out in his news posts, too. Just a kind of underlying feeling about the guy, makes you shudder. "This guy is an ass".

No, he doesn't have any other webcomics. He does other stuff on the side though, like a CAD Animated Series and subscription wallpapers and other cool shit. He's releasing a superhero comic soon too, "Analogue and D-Pad" or something, like an actual physical book, starring an alternate-world Ethan and Lucas as crime-fighters with videogame-releated superpowers.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 09:00 PM
weird. I'm not into it enough to ever pay for anything... but I do like reading his webcomics.

0r4ng3
12-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Yay for CAD discussion. Though I have absolutely nothing to say about it right now, except for: It's "Winter-een-mas". Whoever said Decemberween, that's a Homestar Runner reference.

As for Final Fantasy, the only one I played is 7. I used to think it was the best, but it's the only one I ever played, and I didn't get too far into it because of some stupid glitch in some level where you have to jump on some trains.

Llamas
12-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Yay for CAD discussion. Though I have absolutely nothing to say about it right now, except for: It's "Winter-een-mas". Whoever said Decemberween, that's a Homestar Runner reference.
that was me. whoops! both are great, though!

Venom Symbiote
12-08-2006, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I was about to correct her on the Winter-Een-Mas thing, but we seem to argue enough as it is. Figured I'd be kind for once. :p

But yeah, most of his stuff is part of "CAD Premium", Llamas. I think I paid about 12 bucks U.S. for the year's subscription to the animated series (which is half-good half bad by the way, don't expect anything too high quality, some are funny some aren't, and the overall animation is pretty shoddy) plus the wallpapers and additional content stuff. Not a bad deal.

Vera
12-09-2006, 04:50 AM
I like the way the creator of the 8-bit Theater phrased it: 7 is 6 on crack, 8 is 7 on crack, 9 is 8 on crack..

And this my own lame addition: By the time they get to 10, it's some kind of crack so special their faces burned off and so they did a sequel.

8 sucks. There's no two ways about it.

7&6 are my favourites, 4 also holds a special place in my heart because each of the character dies and then gets revived and they're all so fucking awesome, even though that game took me a fucking long time to beat because I'm a fucking loser.

9 was my first, I love it for the inside jokes me & my friends have about it. Plotwise it ain't too amazing.

Final Fantasy is like any merchandise where they see a good thing happening that becomes a success, so they want to repeat it. I like the gradual changes they made, like adding actual personalities to characters, no matter how vague and non-complex. But I also love the old skool stuff, classes and shit. Once you're a fan, you're a fan and you start to enjoy the repeated character structures (like how there's always the princessy girl, the bitch who's good at kicking ass and the bubbly annoying chick) and the clichés and the repeated monsters and whatnots. Also, it really helps to know the other games - once you got some of the basic shit down, it eases the playing of other games. Like you don't have to scan every fucking rodent to know what spell does best damage on them, since those things are pretty much the same in every game (like thunder on flying things, omgz duhh).

Final Fantasy is really my first fandom and first thing I got into majorly, after like, the fucking Moomins or something. It's a really huge part of my childhood/pre-teens and I love it to fucking death, though I'll probably never replay any of the games or start on the ones I've not played through yet - like 5. I probably won't play FF12 - the battle system seems to be sucking major ass according to fan opinions.

I curse a lot. Ah well.

I could talk about these games all day long. I agree with Per that the heroes are fucking pathetic. My favourite pathetic hero was Cecil of FF4 - SPOILERS for that game in case you care - who starts out this totally badass unbeatable tough warrior type who makes everything easy in the beginning and THEN becomes this totally pussywussy white mage with fucking shit for hits and lame white spells and shit.

The best thing? HIS FUCKING GIRLFRIEND DOES BETTER MAGIC THAN HE DOES.

I just found that hilarious. But thankfully the game had some other kickass guys and girls to do the kickass, like Rydia - favourite summoner ever - and Kain and Edge (best ninja EVER).

Sorry I'm gushing like a geeky mcgeek but Holy (lolz geddit?), these games rocked.