PDA

View Full Version : Should the Offspring release a greatest hits?

Noodles is gay
12-23-2004, 08:36 AM
I read the other threads concerning this subject, and then I thought about whether I thought it was a good idea or not. And eventually i have reached a conclusion.

Methinks no, because it's just a way for a band to make more money without actually doing anything, which i believe is wrong. A real fan will already own their albums so what's the point in the Offspring releasing them again? MONEY! Also it will make the band more easily accessible to the mainstream, which is usually a bad idea. The fan base will swell with 10yr olds who've only bought the greatest hits and really have no idea about the real band.

Also I've always thought 'greatest hits' sounds really corny, and always just implies to me that the band are just a group of money-grabbing old men, I always wish to preceive that a band is about the music not the money, alas, this is rarely the case. :(

phoenix
12-23-2004, 02:37 PM
havent u onready started this thread :confused:

sk8ter-hater
12-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Yeah sily goose

code_blue
12-23-2004, 09:21 PM
on the other hand, you could just see the 'greatest hits' package as a way to expose new fans to most of the offspring's career, save for ignition and self-titled, although there would supposedly be a re-make of dirty magic. personally, i've been a fan of the offspring through waning popularity (ixnay days), the biggest they've ever really been (americana), and then down to the least popular they've been since their pre-smash days (splinter).

i'd like to see them be really successful again. why? because the band, especially dexter, are much more likely to continue if the albums they release do well. having seen the band perform numerous times during the splinter tour, and seeing them backstage, it was sortof obvious that dexter really wasn't as energetic and happy as he was during americana, or even during conspiracy of one. if they release another album that sells as poorly as splinter has, i think the band is much less likely to stay together.. so.. yeah.

Dexterina
12-24-2004, 03:32 AM
Sigh.. theres always an upside and a downside to this greatest hits album

HellDeathscythe666
12-24-2004, 01:00 PM
I dont know if they really should release a greatest hits just yet, they should just wait a lil while. that way they can choose a whole variety of songs, well thats my opinion

Fernômeno
12-24-2004, 01:15 PM
They should release a Greatest Hits album now but with a live permormance of Lightening Rod in it.....they have to play this song live somewher in the world before realising another album...

4eh
12-24-2004, 01:51 PM
they should do it, but that thing makes me be nervous! i'm scary that the end is coming! :confused:

Fernômeno
12-24-2004, 02:01 PM
I agree with that...but hopefully, they will do just like Iron Maiden....everyone thought they were old, everyone thought they would end, and sunddently, they came with that Dance Of Death album, one of the best they ever made...

Louise
12-25-2004, 03:23 AM
Hi I'm Louise I've liked The Offspring for age's, my fave album is
Ixnay On The Hombre.

I know there Greatest hit album is out on soon but does any one know the Track listing for it. Sorry if it already been asked/posted it's just that I cant find it anywere.

Mr. Noodles
12-25-2004, 06:25 AM
Hi I'm Louise I've liked The Offspring for age's, my fave album is
Ixnay On The Hombre.

I know there Greatest hit album is out on soon but does any one know the Track listing for it. Sorry if it already been asked/posted it's just that I cant find it anywere.

oKAY, HERE'S the list.
Disclaimer
The Meaning of Life
Mota
Me And My Old Lady
Cool to Hate
Leave it Behind
Gone Away
I Choose
Intermission
All I Want
Way Down the Line
Don't Pick It Up
Amazed
Change the World!

4eh
12-25-2004, 07:00 AM
what is it, man? it's IOTH tracklist! i think there was asked a tracklist for greatest hits!

dexterisMYman
12-29-2004, 05:57 PM
they should but it should be like vol.1

bd007h
12-29-2004, 08:23 PM
what is it, man? it's IOTH tracklist! i think there was asked a tracklist for greatest hits!

I believe he was stating that Ixnay On The Hombre is their best album, and has all the best songs, therefore being THE greatest hits album.

NIX-on-the-MAN
12-29-2004, 08:52 PM
If they want to realse it they can, but this affects me very little. Since I own all of their albums I don't see the need for me to prechase a copy. Unless they have some tracks from other albums like Defy You, then I might buy it.

ThePidgeonMaster
12-29-2004, 11:58 PM
They sed on Fuse that they're just gonna release all the albums in a box set as a Greatest hits box set. It was a joke tho. That would be cool tho, cuz my bro stole all my cds and gave them away for Ch****mas.

The Offspring have been around for 20 years, same as KMFDM (Kill Mother Fucking Depeche Mode) and RHCP (Red Hot Chili Peppers), so because those other 2 have, Dex, Noodles, Atom, and Greg need to star up on it. And no crappy cut and paste. Actually record the songs and give us some previously unreleased tracks and some newly written just for the greatest hit album tracks.

The box idea is good too. Give us a DVD with live video and music videos.

And since we're wishing, I wanna pony.

If any of my stuff shows up on a greatest hits if any of you 4 are reading this Noodles, Dexter, Greg or Atom, my Name is Eli Hill. I want an acknowledgement on the CD booklet. :D

addiepauluk
01-02-2005, 07:15 PM
[QUOTE=ThePidgeonMaster] "And since we're wishing, I wanna pony."

*sigh*
don't we all
*carrys on day dreaming of the pony he cant have* :rolleyes:

ne way on the greatest hits issue think its more really intended to people that dont really know the band and who know cud end up makin them real popular like greendays "international superhits" did them

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
01-02-2005, 08:02 PM
I'll buy the greatest hits solely for the new songs. That and having the best songs conveniently on one cd. But mainly the new stuff. I'm also intrigued by this Dirty Magic rework. I want a brand new album from these guys, but the greatest hits with a couple of new songs will tide me over til that time. plus new releases from other bands i dig.

dirtybird
01-03-2005, 02:36 AM
i dont know enough spanish to talk in it so im gonna talk in english. deal. a greatest hits album is a great idea.. alot of people nowadays say "offspring suck".. when really all they've heard is maybe one or two songs from splinter. ive even talked to alot of people who thought splinter was their first album. with the release of a GH album more people can become familiarized with the band and wont judge them just by one album. (i dont agree w/ them about it sucking, either). and it's probably not the end, because on that interview with dexter he said he had come up with ideas for 5 different songs while in his plane trip and that they may come out with a new album anyway.. so dont get worried just yet.

The_Next_Ron_Welty
01-03-2005, 03:36 AM
First off, splinter isnt all that bad, it isnt old school but i was happy with it. second of all i agree the greastest should come out but with some new stuff and some live stuff too because in my opinion they sound better live. Why not put out a live cd? And does anybody know which police song theyre gonna cover

CreaturesInside
01-04-2005, 01:18 AM
They sed on Fuse that they're just gonna release all the albums in a box set as a Greatest hits box set. It was a joke tho. That would be cool tho, cuz my bro stole all my cds and gave them away for Ch****mas.

The Offspring have been around for 20 years, same as KMFDM (Kill Mother Fucking Depeche Mode) and RHCP (Red Hot Chili Peppers), so because those other 2 have, Dex, Noodles, Atom, and Greg need to star up on it. And no crappy cut and paste. Actually record the songs and give us some previously unreleased tracks and some newly written just for the greatest hit album tracks.

The box idea is good too. Give us a DVD with live video and music videos.

And since we're wishing, I wanna pony.

If any of my stuff shows up on a greatest hits if any of you 4 are reading this Noodles, Dexter, Greg or Atom, my Name is Eli Hill. I want an acknowledgement on the CD booklet. :D

Well, Eli Hill, I hate to break it to you, but KMFDM does NOT stand for Kill Mother Fucking Depeche Mode. KMFDM stands for Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit which means No Pity For The Majority. And they technically haven't been around for 20 years... They broke up in 1999 and then came back in 2002. I'd call that... breaking up and then reunion. Not to the extreem of The Pixies or (eventually) Smashing Pumpkins... but still.

ThePidgeonMaster
01-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Well, Eli Hill, I hate to break it to you, but KMFDM does NOT stand for Kill Mother Fucking Depeche Mode. KMFDM stands for Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit which means No Pity For The Majority. And they technically haven't been around for 20 years... They broke up in 1999 and then came back in 2002. I'd call that... breaking up and then reunion. Not to the extreem of The Pixies or (eventually) Smashing Pumpkins... but still.

Well, asshole, I don't really give a flying fuck what it really stands for, just what they had it stand for at the moment of their interview. And they had a 20 year anniversary tour in 2k4, so its fuckin close enuff.

dirtybird
01-10-2005, 10:18 PM
::starts low chanting..'fight, fight, fight'::