PDA

View Full Version : Dexter Is A Smart Guy

ArtificialLife
12-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Any one else notice the somewhat hidden advertising techniques Dexter uses when talking about the new record (or pretty much anything)? Yes he is great for taking the time to fill in his fans on the latest. But one example of what I'm talking about is the fact that many fans (and no, not all) get turned off to hearing about Offspring songs with samples, synthesizers, etc. I'm sure he's well aware of the countless fans who say soemthing similar to "i want it to sound like ignition! smash! self titled! whatever! hehee." For this reason he recently states that the album is mostly "guitar songs" so far. But the albums containing synthesizers or sampling never have more than a few songs of the nature anyway. So he is not saying this album will be any different, and there's a decent chance there will be a song or two utilizing samples or whatnot. He's basically talking up the album according to what most people want to hear. I don't necessarily have a negative or positive point to this message, just pointing out that Dexter knows what he's doing, and is good at (and perhaps concerned with) selling his records without having to be blatent about his intentions. There have been several other things of this nature I've noticed over the past years too, really don't feel like looking back to pick them out though. Maybe you can try. Anyway, just thought it would be an interesting thing to state. Long live The Offspring.

Tom
12-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Yeah, totally... I don't think a dumbass would really make it this far anyway.

DexterWannabe
12-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Any one else notice the somewhat hidden advertising techniques Dexter uses when talking about the new record (or pretty much anything)? Yes he is great for taking the time to fill in his fans on the latest. But one example of what I'm talking about is the fact that many fans (and no, not all) get turned off to hearing about Offspring songs with samples, synthesizers, etc. I'm sure he's well aware of the countless fans who say soemthing similar to "i want it to sound like ignition! smash! self titled! whatever! hehee." For this reason he recently states that the album is mostly "guitar songs" so far. But the albums containing synthesizers or sampling never have more than a few songs of the nature anyway. So he is not saying this album will be any different, and there's a decent chance there will be a song or two utilizing samples or whatnot. He's basically talking up the album according to what most people want to hear. I don't necessarily have a negative or positive point to this message, just pointing out that Dexter knows what he's doing, and is good at (and perhaps concerned with) selling his records without having to be blatent about his intentions. There have been several other things of this nature I've noticed over the past years too, really don't feel like looking back to pick them out though. Maybe you can try. Anyway, just thought it would be an interesting thing to state. Long live The Offspring.

that was waayy too long, but yeah, long live offspring!

Jojan
12-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Don't you know how to write? Ever heard of paragraphs? Your not as smart as Dexter.

nightvision
12-09-2006, 02:20 PM
I actually read the whole thing, don't ask me why.

German Andres
12-09-2006, 02:36 PM

Kinda long text for being your first one! Anyway, I liked it (you don`t have nothing to do in your house, do you?)

WebDudette
12-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Enter key broken?

JohnnyNemesis
12-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Yeah, totally... I don't think a dumbass would really make it this far anyway.

In North America, ONLY dumbasses make it this far.

Hypodermic_89
12-09-2006, 04:35 PM
I love you guys.

ArtificialLife
12-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Kinda long text for being your first one! Anyway, I liked it (you don`t have nothing to do in your house, do you?)

Nothing to do in my house? Looks like you've posted over 200 times? And my post was too long for my first one? I'm new to the board so I must not be able to form a thought-out post right? I forgot prestige on a message board comes from a high post count. I thought I'd be able to ignore the fact that I probably have most of you doubled in age, but it seems your replies speak for themselves in saying there is a relevant gap in maturity here. Unlike most of the replies I see, my post was actually relevant to the band and tried to spark some conversation. And I always find it funny how when people have nothing intelligent to say they resort to tearing apart grammar for no aparant reason. Oh well. Any mature Offspring fans exist here who don't wish to turn a thread into irrelevant one-line insults?

WebDudette
12-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Enter key still broken?

200 post isn't any where near the post count alot of members have.

Llamas
12-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Nothing to do in my house? Looks like you've posted over 200 times? And my post was too long for my first one? I'm new to the board so I must not be able to form a thought-out post right? I forgot prestige on a message board comes from a high post count. I thought I'd be able to ignore the fact that I probably have most of you doubled in age, but it seems your replies speak for themselves in saying there is a relevant gap in maturity here. Unlike most of the replies I see, my post was actually relevant to the band and tried to spark some conversation. And I always find it funny how when people have nothing intelligent to say they resort to tearing apart grammar for no aparant reason. Oh well. Any mature Offspring fans exist here who don't wish to turn a thread into irrelevant one-line insults?

First of all, the guy said he LIKED your post. Way to get overly defensive.

Second of all, learn to make paragraphs.

Third of all, doubled in age? You're like 40?? You are way too old to be posting here. Grow up.

Fourth of all, no, prestige is not post count. It's based on quality. There are a lot of people here who have high post counts and are still morons, and newer people who are much more appreciated.

Fifth of all, what's this about your post being the only one relevant to the band. Most people here replied to your post and agreed that Dexter is smart, or something. And tearing apart grammar? The only negative things said were that your post was too long and that you need to make paragraphs. I can guarantee it wouldn't have been too long had you divided things into paragraphs. Using paragraphs makes things easier to read. I didn't read the whole thing because it was too mashed together.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
12-09-2006, 06:50 PM

Erhmmm...

Paris Hilton is a slut :confused:

Venom Symbiote
12-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Agreed with that last statement. "PaR1$ 4 Pr3z1d3nTz!" :p

But hey, ease up on the guy. He had a point, even though he was pretty ignorant of paragraph breaks. Cut him some slack. He's right in saying that - these songs probably won't be exactly catering to what all the fans are whining for, they're be good material that conforms to what they want to write and not what we want to hear.

The album as a whole will still have synths and keyboards and stuff. And I personally see nothing wrong with that at all.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
12-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Yeah, i don't have a big problem with that either, Providing it's only like 3-4 songs on the album with added sound effects... Maybe it's just me, but i really wanna hear some more songs like The Noose :D

Floyd the Barber
12-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Maybe it's just me, but i really wanna hear some more songs like The Noose :D

Me too. The Noose is a bitchin' song.

Camilamazed
12-09-2006, 08:43 PM
I agree with Venon. It doesn't matter if his first post was long or not, what matters is that for his fisrt point he made a point and it wasn't something like:

"wh3n wiL the nu album cume out......."

Llamas
12-09-2006, 09:37 PM
again, most people weren't insulting his post. Most people AGREED with him. why do people keep saying to ease up on him??

Venom Symbiote
12-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Stop calling me "Venon", you filthy Micronesian. Doom is heading straight for you.

Apathy
12-09-2006, 09:57 PM
ArtificialLife -

I enjoy reading long posts, don't feel bad just because a few people have trouble focusing enough to read a decent size paragraph.

Anyway, I'd agree with most of what you said. But don't badmouth other people for their grammar, because your spelling is somewhat iffy.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
12-09-2006, 10:19 PM
... Are people assuming that i am going hard on him?

I read his whole post, then disagreed with it with a 'Ehmmmm'

Followed by a Paris Hilton comment.

Where in my comment did i go hard on him?

(P.S not trying to be defencive in this post, only looking to make people happy.)

Apathy
12-09-2006, 10:50 PM
I wasn't, I usually don't even read your posts.

You are way too old to be posting here. Grow up.
I'm not even sure if this was meant to be a joke or not, but it's stunningly hilarious.

Llamas
12-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Yes, in fact, I was joking. :p

DexterWannabe
12-10-2006, 05:36 AM
I actually read the whole thing, don't ask me why.

why?

(10)

F@ BANKZ
12-11-2006, 01:51 PM
We all know Dex is smart, and we all know resistance to his ingeniously suttle advertiseing techniques is futile.

Dexter commands you to buy his album dumbassesDexter commands you to buy his album dumbassesDexter commands you to buy his album dumbassesDexter commands you to buy his album dumbassesDexter commands you to buy his album dumbassesDexter commands you to buy his album dumbassesDexter commands you to buy his album dumbassesDexter commands you to buy his album dumbassesDexter commands you to buy his album dumbassesDexter commands you to buy his album dumbassesDexter commands you to buy his album dumbassesDexter commands you to buy his album dumbasses

MOTO13
12-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Don't you know how to write? Ever heard of paragraphs? Your not as smart as Dexter.

Wow, REALLY good point. Before you bag on others about writing, get it together yourself. By the way, it's YOU'RE not as smart as...

Camilamazed
12-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Stop calling me "Venon", you filthy Micronesian. Doom is heading straight for you.

You just can't ignore my existence? why?

You love this micronesian and ain't got the guts to tell the world about it?

;)

Venom Symbiote
12-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Yep, that's right, you caught me. I love you, and that's why I expect, nay, motherfucking demand ye get my name right.

Kapeesh?! :p

WebDudette
12-11-2006, 09:17 PM
I read it, it would have been a much easier read if he had used his enter key. I had nothing more to add so I gave a tip in a joking manner.

Then he typed another wall-o-text and I made the same comment, I also laughed at the fact that he thought 200 posts was alot.

Llamas
12-11-2006, 10:13 PM
200 posts is a lot. Those of us with thousands are just ridiculous. :p

ArtificialLife
12-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Then he typed another wall-o-text and I made the same comment, I also laughed at the fact that he thought 200 posts was alot.

200 is a lot to me, kinda hard to raise a post count while raising a family as well. Not to mention being inches away from my doctorate (and no not in microbiology!) But I believe there's ALWAYS time for a little Offspring chat, no? If my "wall of texts" are too hard for y'all to digest then next time I'll make no less than 10 posts out of it. That way everybody wins! ..... Nobody complains and my post count skyrockets! woohoo

Sinister
12-12-2006, 09:35 AM
You seem to have potential. Learn to ignore the dumbasses and/or post in a way they can understand (paragraphs) and you should be fine. Intelligent people hate long paragraphs because they look disorganized; dumbasses hate them because they're too retarded to process them as a whole.

And I'll just reiterate and make it stand out : ignore dumbasses.

Beavesy
12-13-2006, 12:47 AM
Yeah, i don't have a big problem with that either, Providing it's only like 3-4 songs on the album with added sound effects... Maybe it's just me, but i really wanna hear some more songs like The Noose :D
I SO agree with you there the noose is one of my favourite songs
I WANT MORE!

German Andres
12-13-2006, 12:28 PM

Je, don`t get mad...I was just kidding. It`s a long text, you can`t deny that! But like a mature fan I made the effort to read it, and as I said, I agree with you.
And what if my text was 2 lines? I don`t think that a 15 lines long text is more "relevent" than a 1 or 2 lines one.
I bet I`m more mature than you, so don`t come crying and saying bullshits!

iPunk247
03-12-2008, 08:21 PM
[rotflmfao] they're all white and nerdy and god bless them really very coooooL