PDA

View Full Version : Killboy Powerhead (Word meanings)

Camilamazed
12-09-2006, 07:37 PM
This one's been really difficult to translate into Portuguese.

1) "He's a pistol grip"

He is or He has? / Is pistol grip simply a handgun?

2) Lightning rod hammer step:

Lightning rod, ok
Hammer, ok
Step, ok
All of them together: Beats me!

3) Hoover Dam=Boulder dam or is there another meaning for that?

4) What are other "words" for Killboypowerhead??

PS: This one I think is stupid. Is "Killboy" a boy that kills?

Nineteen Seventy Nine
12-09-2006, 07:46 PM
This is a cover, but I'm going to try.
--

1) "He's a pistol grip"

This is just an expression/metaphor. More so, he's "like" a pistol grip, as in he's crazy, or something along those lines.

Lightning rod, ok
Hammer, ok
Step, ok
All of them together: Beats me!

Much like the above.

The Hoover Dam is a popular dam, like you guessed, just named after a President.

Once again, probably an expression, he's wild, he breaks everything, something like that.

Llamas
12-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Again, it's a cover. But still.

1) "He's a pistol grip"

I take it as though... a pistol grip is the foundation for what you use to kill people. So he's like an important component of something very dangerous.

To me, that means he's a rather big muscley guy who, when he walks, the ground shakes. Lightning rod + hammer to describe his step... yeah, I think it's a metaphor for how powerful and intimidating he is.

Yeah, the hoover dam is just another dam... so saying she's like the hoover dam is... well a dam is just a HUUUUUUGE rock formation. So it's just saying again that's she's really tough and intimidating.

Killboy and Powerhead are just saying that he's a really tough, intimidating guy who loves power trips. The lyrics to the song kinda suck I think... good thing it's a cover, haha. But the whole song is just describing some dude and his girl, and they're both really hardcore asshole punks or whatever.

Camilamazed
12-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Thank you for being helpfull. Now I got everything.

The best thing is translating and getting help around here is that I learn a lot of things. I remember seeing The Hoover Dam in a movie, which I don't remember now, and I had never known the name. But when I googled it I found it familiar.

=]

EDIT: Forgot to ask something else:

"He always busts his knuckles when he's wrenching up his shit"

Hard to understand as well... =|

Venom Symbiote
12-09-2006, 08:57 PM
STOP IT! STOP IT NOW!

You're seriously finding a way to be the most annoying poster in the General section, even though you're not really that inherently annoying as a person. Just...fuck!

STOP IT!

:eek: *pries out own eyeballs with a spoon*

Apathy
12-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Yeah, the hoover dam is just another dam... so saying she's like the hoover dam is... well a dam is just a HUUUUUUGE rock formation. So it's just saying again that's she's really tough and intimidating.

The Boulder dam is the Hoover dam. It was renamed after the President who began plans for construction on it afterwards.

Camilia:
By the way, before anyone tells you how stupid you are for making this thread, I'd just like to point out that I love them. They really make you think about the lyrics.
But yeah, llamas and 1979 pretty much covered the whole song.

Edit:

He always busts his knuckles when he's wrenching up his shit
I interpreted this as the following -
The person always works too hard (gets worn down?) whenever something goes wrong/there is a problem.

Hmm. The way I explain it sounds wrong, but I know what I'm trying to say.

Little_Miss_1565
12-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Camila, I don't think the song makes any sense at all. I think some people have given you good advice on it, but so far as I know, you could just throw a bunch of shit together and call it done. ;)

STOP IT! STOP IT NOW!

You're seriously finding a way to be the most annoying poster in the General section, even though you're not really that inherently annoying as a person. Just...fuck!

STOP IT!

That would be impossible, because that honorary title has several contenders gunning for it--and you're not excluded from that.

For what I hope is the last fucking time, she is translating these things into Portugese as a personal project. This is why she needs to break down each line and get the meaning because as with any romance language, words change depending on the subtext. So please, next time you see a topic with a song title in it posted by Camila, don't click on it.

igniton/pyro
12-10-2006, 07:02 AM
STOP IT! STOP IT NOW!

STOP IT!

i second that

Grabbal
12-10-2006, 07:18 AM
Maybe a song meaning section should be availible!!

Little_Miss_1565
12-10-2006, 08:15 AM
i second that

Stop being Venom's mindless butt-boy. You're just as bad as all the assholes who mindlessly ape and praise Sin Studly in GC.

0r4ng3
12-10-2006, 08:17 AM
Stop being Venom's mindless butt-boy. You're just as bad as all the assholes who mindlessly ape and praise Sin Studly in GC.
I agree.

lol c wut i did thar?

igniton/pyro
12-10-2006, 08:48 AM

thats what i am. Venoms butt boy. and i always ape and praise sin studly. stupid whore.

Camilamazed
12-10-2006, 09:16 AM
Camilia: By the way, before anyone tells you how stupid you are for making this thread, I'd just like to point out that I love them. They really make you think about the lyrics.

:)

I don't care about what they say because they sound "stupidier" than I do.

Venom, I love you too <3

Ignition/Pyro, who the fuck are you? Welcome!

*Let's pretend you're someone new to the boards ;D

PS: I loved your Avatar <3

Grabbal, Question: Why a song meaning session? As far as I know this is GENERAL OFFSPRING DISCUSSION. I think I CAN and MUST post here, all right?

Why does my topics bother you guys? Because you're not able to say anything relevant???!!!

I see now.

Orange, thank you!

Apathy
12-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Well...not if you go around saying stupidier.

Little_Miss_1565
12-10-2006, 01:40 PM
thats what i am. Venoms butt boy. and i always ape and praise sin studly. stupid whore.

I didn't say anything about you apeing Sin Studly. Read much?

Stupid whore? You couldn't afford me.

Tonza
12-11-2006, 07:43 AM
I like these threads too. I don't speak English as my mother language so it's impossible for me to know every phrases and especially some "slang words" that are not teached in school (:D).

K1llboy Powerhead
12-11-2006, 08:01 AM
You mean they don't teach you 'Lightning rod hammer step' in school? Shame on them! :D

Grabbal
12-11-2006, 10:55 AM
:)

Venom, I love you too <3

Ignition/Pyro, who the fuck are you? Welcome!

*Let's pretend you're someone new to the boards ;D

PS: I loved your Avatar <3

Grabbal, Question: Why a song meaning session? As far as I know this is GENERAL OFFSPRING DISCUSSION. I think I CAN and MUST post here, all right?

Why does my topics bother you guys? Because you're not able to say anything relevant???!!!

I see now.

Orange, thank you!

Your topics don't bother me, jeez.... It just seems like it bothers some other people.. And I am Norwegian so these threads help me though, but not when they turn in to big fu**ing fights!!

F@ BANKZ
12-11-2006, 01:22 PM
I gotta say, without being his butt boy, this guys actually talking alot of sence. There probably should be a thread of some sort dedicated to song meanings, as even people who speak fluent English have problems at times.

JohnnyNemesis
12-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Shut the fuck up with the complaints, assholes. The threads are actually helpful for lots of people and fun for others. The only people complaining about these threads are the most immature ones 'round here, and I've gotta be honest, there's a reason no one respects your opinions on anything. Seriously, fucking can it.

With that said, Camila,I'd suggest supplementing what you learn in these threads with explanations from songmeanings.net. You can get it all broken down here, but look for general meanings there.

Finally, 1565 isn't a stupid whore. She's the most intelligent prostitute I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with <3

Grabbal
12-11-2006, 01:35 PM
I gotta say, without being his butt boy, this guys actually talking alot of sence. There probably should be a thread of some sort dedicated to song meanings, as even people who speak fluent English have problems at times.

Thank you..

Camilamazed
12-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Your topics don't bother me, jeez.... It just seems like it bothers some other people.. And I am Norwegian so these threads help me though, but not when they turn in to big fu**ing fights!!

I'm sorry I got you wrong. Concerning those people who get bored with my threads, I pity them. They get bored way too easily.

Why there should be a single thread for all meanings? As 1565 said, it's more organized this way. People don't seem to read much around here. A thread for each song makes it easier for other members when they use the search button.

With that said, Camila,I'd suggest supplementing what you learn in these threads with explanations from songmeanings.net. You can get it all broken down here, but look for general meanings there.

Rick, I already do that. I have all these sites on my favorites (songmeanings, wikipedia, urbandictionary,dictionary.com and google/images). I only come here when I really can't find answers.

German Andres
12-13-2006, 04:31 PM
I actually love these threads. They are very helpful, and we can see each other`s points of views and interpretations.

disclaimer_07
12-16-2007, 04:58 AM
Worth noticing that the only difference between the original lyrics and those used by The Offspring is the first line:

The Didjits:

He's a pistol-grip shiftin'

The Offspring:

He's a pistol grip

holland25
12-16-2007, 06:46 AM
I will never understand what makes you people revive pointless, a years old threads just to write something more pointless than the whole thread...

disclaimer_07
12-16-2007, 06:49 AM
I don't think this thread is pointless.

Camilamazed
12-19-2007, 06:11 AM
I will never understand what makes you people revive pointless, a years old threads just to write something more pointless than the whole thread...

I'm glad you master English so you don't need help with translation.

=)

holland25
01-07-2008, 05:18 AM
I'm glad you master English so you don't need help with translation.

=)

Sorry, it was badly said... I just meant that reviving old threads is pointless... Not that your questions about how was what meant are useless... Sometimes I also learn something from the definitions people give you when they're explaining what does it mean ;)