PDA

View Full Version : Should the Offspring release a greatest hits?

Noodles is gay
12-23-2004, 08:37 AM
I read the other threads concerning this subject, and then I thought about whether I thought it was a good idea or not. And eventually i have reached a conclusion.

Methinks no, because it's just a way for a band to make more money without actually doing anything, which i believe is wrong. A real fan will already own their albums so what's the point in the Offspring releasing them again? MONEY! Also it will make the band more easily accessible to the mainstream, which is usually a bad idea. The fan base will swell with 10yr olds who've only bought the greatest hits and really have no idea about the real band.

Also I've always thought 'greatest hits' sounds really corny, and always just implies to me that the band are just a group of money-grabbing old men, I always wish to perceive that a band is about the music not the money, alas, this is rarely the case. :(

noodlesdec25
12-23-2004, 08:52 AM
Dude your are mistaken......a greatest hits is for showing the best of their music on a cd......if u think its for the money you are very mistaken cause this cd will make other cds sales less.

Gabriel
12-23-2004, 10:19 AM
greatest hits sucks. I think they shouldn't

Jake
12-23-2004, 10:31 AM
I don't think you pay attention much do you?
Dexter has said repeatedly that they are redoing Dirty Magic, Doing a cover of a Police song, and releasing new stuff.
So they are doing something. A greatest hits will show their best music from over 20 years. They definatly deserve to have this greates hits released.
So when it comes out, get off your complaining ass and buy it.

Tired_Of_You
12-23-2004, 10:32 AM
Dude your are mistaken......a greatest hits is for showing the best of their music on a cd......if u think its for the money you are very mistaken cause this cd will make other cds sales less.

A greatest hits CD is not necessarily showing their best songs but their hits (Hit That, Original Pranskter, Come Out & Play etc). With this CD there is good chances that it will make some people discover The Offspring. If they like the songs they hear on the CD they might buy their albums. And also maybe the people who only knows their recent songs/albums might want to buy Smash because they'll like their old singles and eventually buy the S/T and Ignition.

extraordinarygoodgrocer
12-23-2004, 10:37 AM
It wouldn't do the band any harm. They have easily enough good material to compile a 'greatest hits album'. They should be careful about which tracks they select for it though. Whether the fans buy it of course, is up to them.

Satankaban
12-23-2004, 10:53 AM
I voted for no, because I think they´ll certainly record a new or more new albums, so I think it´s useless to release Greatest Hits. I think that they should to release it after they´ll end their career.

Noodles is gay
12-23-2004, 10:55 AM
I don't think you pay attention much do you?
Dexter has said repeatedly that they are redoing Dirty Magic, Doing a cover of a Police song, and releasing new stuff.
So when it comes out, get off your complaining ass and buy it.

Exactly my point, how much does effort does it require to make a cover or to ‘redo’ a song? Not half as much as anything worthwhile would take.

Also it would bring in the dreaded pop fans who only like the Offspring for their ‘greatest hits’ and not for their actual music, ie the songs deemed not good enough to be considered a ‘great hit’. This would, in turn, probably, lower the standard of the Offspring’s music overall.

I won't buy it, because it goes against my principles, and also against my view of what the music industry should consist of.

And also maybe the people who only knows their recent songs/albums might want to buy Smash because they'll like their old singles and eventually buy the S/T and Ignition.

But they won't because the earlier albums are entirely different to the latter ones. The Offspring's style has changed, true the new albums are ok but when compared to the older ones they don't stand a chance.

Jojan
12-23-2004, 10:55 AM
All their CDs are greatest hits. So if they should collect their greatest hits, it would be a 7 CD. Maybe 8 if they want to have their B-sides and demos and other shit (MOTHERFUCKER!!).

I also think greatest hits sucks. Why do they think "Thoose songs are greatest". If they would do a greatest hits, I think they should have done poll or something on the site. Maybe not of all of their songs but have 50 songs on the site and put 25 of the most popular on the CD.

Tired_Of_You
12-23-2004, 11:20 AM
But they won't because the earlier albums are entirely different to the latter ones. The Offspring's style has changed, true the new albums are ok but when compared to the older ones they don't stand a chance.

You never know, I didn't say that all the people will buy their older albums, I wanted to say maybe some will. I know Offspring because of Americana and many of us here know them because of that album too and we now own their older albums. I believe that some people will like Self Esteem and Come Out & Play and might buy at least Smash.

yamabeans709
12-23-2004, 11:22 AM
ill buy it, i cant wait for it actually

Greebo
12-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Its out in 3 days over here, tho i've not yet been able to find a tracklisting for it.

Unnatural Disaster
06-30-2005, 04:39 PM
Well that settles this.....

original_prankster
06-30-2005, 05:18 PM
The dualdisc interview is worth buying the CD for if you already have all of the albums. The Dirty Magic performance could have been better, but it was pretty good.