PDA

View Full Version : Electronic drums

Zee
12-10-2006, 08:34 AM
Any of you own an electronic drums? If so, what model? I just ordered a Yamaha DTXPLORER set...

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/drum/digital-drums/yamaha/gif/dtxplorer.jpg

Watched some videos from YouTube about the Yamaha set, and it sounds so sweet, can't wait... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHjdNqGUEBM

So what are your experiences about them?

Apathy
12-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Eh, seems to me that if you want to get drums then you should just buy a real drum set. Electronic drums are like buying a really good simulation of something that is around the same price as the electronic ones anyway.

They do look fun - however I'd rather just have the real thing for that amount of money.

Zee
12-10-2006, 08:57 AM
You pretty much can't play real drums at terraced house, the neighbourhood would kick us out of the house under a second. Electronic drums you can play everywhere without a noise problem...

And the computer that comes with the set has so much different sounds, that's great, great, great. Acoustic drums sound isn't that good unless you don't mic them or trigger them... Of course the touch isn't the same but it'll be fun just to play around with it, it has so many functions. Recording is easy, playing along with your favourite albums, ah...

Zee
12-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Apathy: take a look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Kzn21Mlnw

Sounds rad with all the different sounds don't you think? ;)

Apathy
12-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Personally, the sound of electronic sets bug the hell out of me. They sound too clean, almost fake.

Well, to each his own.

Zee
12-10-2006, 09:05 AM
True, but I like it to have it clean. Oh, and this isn't the cheap Millenium set that would probably suck, I keep hearing Yamaha is quality.

Idiot
12-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Acoustic kits are better, but have been wanting an electronic kit for a while now for recording and experimenting. Looking to get one in spring time.
That model is one of the models I was considering getting, you'll have to let me know what its like when you get it :cool:

nameless
12-10-2006, 03:13 PM
ive used one before, it was a really expensive one that was meant to have all these great features and hundreds of different sounds but it just sounded too "computerised" (although it would seeing as its electronic!), it just lacked the kinda raw sound! also, you couldnt really accent notes, no matter how hard you hit the pad, it was the same volume! it wasnt mine so i didnt get a chance to play around with it, im not ruling out getting one though, id imagine they are good for practising as you guys mentioned!

Prox
12-10-2006, 03:23 PM
1 7h1nk 3|3c7r10n1c drum5 50und 50 5up3r 4w350m3.

Little_Miss_1565
12-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Electronic drums are great to supplement live drums. Don't rely entirely on them, but they can really expand sound possibilities.

Thomas
12-10-2006, 05:12 PM
1 7h1nk 3|3c7r10n1c drum5 50und 50 5up3r 4w350m3.

stop being annoying

Anyhoo, I do not own that set, but I have had a lot of exerience with that particular one. It is a good model, as far as electric kits go. I don't really like electronic ones, but I can see why you'd want one. That articular set has a good feel with the sticks and a wide variety of sounds and effects.

So yeah, it's a good kit, but it will never be able to replace an acoustic kit. For your purposes, though, this is a good value.

Llamas
12-10-2006, 05:20 PM
I feel the same about electric drumsets that I feel about any electric instrument. Even an electric guitar fucks with the sound of an acoustic guitar the same way... makes things sound a lot cleaner and doesn't sound like a real guitar. I always prefer "acoustic" instruments to electric any day... but if you're just playing in a rock band or whatever, I don't see much harm in using electric guitars, basses, and drumsets.

Thomas
12-10-2006, 06:45 PM
Well, usually in rock you don't get that same "oomph" you get from acoustic drum sets.

Little_Miss_1565
12-10-2006, 06:52 PM
You really can't consider an electric guitar/bass/drum kit to be comparable at all to its acoustic counterpart. Each does things the other cannot and are suitable for different situations.

Zee
12-11-2006, 05:46 AM
That model is one of the models I was considering getting, you'll have to let me know what its like when you get it :cool:

Yeah, I'll get back to this topic when I have them...

JoY
12-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Personally, the sound of electronic sets bug the hell out of me. They sound too clean, almost fake.

Well, to each his own.

..they are fake.

Yamaha is good at these things, though. *thumbs up* their electric pianos are the absolute best too. of course nothing can beat the real deal, but I have the same problem as you with noise around neighbours/roommates & besides, a real piano is impossible to move.

Zee
12-27-2006, 01:50 PM
The set still hasn't arrived, but it should tomorrow though. I'll try to get some clips recorded so be tuned Idiot. ;)

DexterWannabe
12-27-2006, 02:20 PM
i want a Akai Drum Sampler, like the 400

Zee
01-04-2007, 02:56 AM
Well, I think the drums are great. Of course, if you've really got used to the acoustic set, you might not like electronic ones so much but I think they're good. Hi-hat is the weakest link but still good enough. But the facts that you can control the volume and there's thousands of sounds plus recording is easy are just cruel facts. Here's a sample I recorded: http://download.yousendit.com/DAA3734041E7FBA4

nameless
01-04-2007, 05:12 PM
that sounds a lot better than the one i used which was supposed to be top of the range, although i only used it for a bit and didnt bother messing about with settings.

the snare wasnt brilliant but i thought the toms sound was good. i guess you can change the sound to suit though! overall, quite impressed by the sound! and the little part of the kids arent alright!

the problem i found in the one i used was that you couldnt really accent beats, no matter how you hit the pad, be it smashing it in the middle or just quite lightly hitting near the edge, it was the same volume. id imagine when you play an accoustic kit it will be different and you will have to kinda watch the beats are equal. it may not be an issue but its something id watch out for. or are the pads on yours quite sensitive so you can play lighter/harder?!

Zee
01-04-2007, 05:22 PM
the snare wasnt brilliant but i thought the toms sound was good. i guess you can change the sound to suit though!

I thought the snare sounded pretty good. But yeah, you can mess up with the sounds a lot!

or are the pads on yours quite sensitive so you can play lighter/harder?!

Indeed they are! It really depends how hard you hit them or where.

Check this out, I recorded drums over one great song, I think it sounds pretty good, what do you think? http://download.yousendit.com/5CFA03E00DC78E87

Maybe I should do some Offspring covers too, I should just download some better recording program, now I can't do much.

nameless
01-05-2007, 07:03 PM
that sounds really good! i will try and find the recording from the kit i used so you can compare the quality if you want! did it need much messing about to sort the quality/sound out?!

Ninty Man
01-05-2007, 08:55 PM
stop being annoying

Anyhoo, I do not own that set, but I have had a lot of exerience with that particular one. It is a good model, as far as electric kits go. I don't really like electronic ones, but I can see why you'd want one. That articular set has a good feel with the sticks and a wide variety of sounds and effects.

So yeah, it's a good kit, but it will never be able to replace an acoustic kit. For your purposes, though, this is a good value.

MMM, but it's kinda expensiva don't you think... but the problem it's that I live in a department, and... I can't use accoustic drums...

Zee
01-06-2007, 03:42 AM
Ladies and gentleman, my first own demo song ever written (40s), Offspring sound-ish. There's a guitar also. If somebody cares...

http://download.yousendit.com/2C744AD961090297

mushi_999
01-06-2007, 10:54 AM
i was going to buy one after christmas but they're so expensive and buying a real set isnt an option i live in an apartment

mrconeman
01-06-2007, 11:01 AM
You really can't consider an electric guitar/bass/drum kit to be comparable at all to its acoustic counterpart. Each does things the other cannot and are suitable for different situations.

I know this threads probably been bumped from ages ago or whatever, but I'd like to mention how correct that is.

Zee
01-06-2007, 11:08 AM
i was going to buy one after christmas but they're so expensive and buying a real set isnt an option i live in an apartment

I have to say, these are great. I've been doing songs all day and I can't get enough. Just buy it. It is worth it. If you have a guitar also it is even more worth it. This is what you can do: http://download.yousendit.com/914A30F3733F8093