12-10-2006, 02:03 PM
. .

opivy21
12-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Pootie Tang?

Venom Symbiote
12-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Gone With The Wind = awesome.

I'm glad you didn't mention Citzen Kane. Most overrated piece of cinema filth ever produced. "Yay, deep-focus lenses! Look, everyone, my new camera shows you that the set has a background! Look at the roof while I move the camera to the floor just for the hell of it! I'm an artiste'!"

Not as much of an achievement as thought. But Gone With The Wind is great.

Bazza
12-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Great Expectations, anyone?

I watched the old black and white verison with my mum when I was about 6, and remember it being a half decent film (I was six!).

Not Ozymandias
12-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Gone With The Wind = awesome.

I'm glad you didn't mention Citzen Kane. Most overrated piece of cinema filth ever produced. "Yay, deel-focus lenses! Look, everyone, my new camera shows you that the set has a background! Look at the roof while I move the camera to the floor just for the hell of it! I'm an artiste'!"

Not as much of an achievement as thought. But Gone With The Wind is great.
Ignore list for life.

Little_Miss_1565
12-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Citizen Kane is a bit overrated, though its cinematography is fantastic.

My favorite movie ever is Wings Of Desire (German original: Die Himmel uber Berlin), directed and written by Wim Wenders. <3 Nick Cave cameos.

I also get a kick out of David Lynch.

ermdevi@tion
12-10-2006, 06:23 PM
The Battleship Potemkin, directed by Sergei Eisenstein. One of the most powerful pieces of cinema I've ever seen. Soviet montage editing at its finest.

Oxygene
12-10-2006, 06:30 PM
once upon a time in the wild west

0r4ng3
12-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Snakes on--

You know what, it's not worth it. I'll just be leaving now.

Little_Miss_1565
12-10-2006, 06:42 PM
The Battleship Potemkin, directed by Sergei Eisenstein. One of the most powerful pieces of cinema I've ever seen. Soviet montage editing at its finest.

Replace "powerful" with "powerfully boring," and "finest" with "we probably should have nuked them."

once upon a time in the wild west

Once Upon a Time in Mexico = better. ;)

Endymion
12-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Once Upon a Time in Mexico = better. ;)

and once upon a time in american is even better

ermdevi@tion
12-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Replace "powerful" with "powerfully boring," and "finest" with "we probably should have nuked them."

Each to their own I guess. I'd love to use the "you obviously just can't appreciate great art" attitude, but your mentioning of Wings of Desire suggests otherwise.

Out of interest, would you care to expand on why you find Potemkin boring?

Little_Miss_1565
12-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Does it feature blood & gore plus Johnny Depp & Antonio Banderas? Didn't think so.

ermdevi@tion
12-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Does it feature blood & gore plus Johnny Depp & Antonio Banderas? Didn't think so.

I'll freely admit, higher levels of blood, gore, Johnny Depp and Antonio Banderas may well have improved it. And a car chase somewhere.

But still - appreciate it for what it is and how important it is, no? I think it falls into a whole other category of film-making.

Little_Miss_1565
12-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Sry, my Johnny Depp/blood comment was directed at Endy and his "Once Upon a Time in America" comment.

But with the Battleship Potemkin, sure, it's got loads of historical significance, but historical hindsight does not an interesting movie make. It's like "Birth of a Nation"--people watch it because it's historically significant in the development of the feature film, not because it's an awesome movie in and of itself.

Venom Symbiote
12-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Citizen Kane is a bit overrated, though its cinematography is fantastic.

No, no, it's really, really not. People only say that because it apparently championed and innovated deep-focus cinematography. It didn't. It was the first mainstream film to do it, but definitely not the first. It was just Welles parading around with his grandeur storyline of ridiculous proportions basically saying "Look! See? The stuff on the wall in the background is in FOCUS!"

It's only achievement.

As much as I hate to say it, something like The Rules Of The Game absolutely pisses over Citizen Kane as far as "the best movie ever made". Entertainment publications that always seem to nominate Kane are so full of turd I don't even know where to start ridiculing them.

Potemkin was ok, pretty amazing for its time. I found it boring, but from a technical standpoint it was pretty revolutionary, so I kind of enjoyed watching it from that standpoint.

ninthlayer
12-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Touch of Evil
The opening steady cam sequence is amazing and Welles plays such a seedy and disgusting cop that you really end up hating his character Quinlan.

Throne of Blood (US Title)
Kurosawa's take on Macbeth, Throne of Blood is both epic and disturbing.

the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Even though the "surprise" ending was quite predictable, the film remains stunning.

Metropolis
The visuals in this are superb and one of the main characters is a fucking robot.

Venom, is it possible for you to post without complaining about or deriding something? Stop being such a pretentious tool.

JohnnyNemesis
12-10-2006, 11:07 PM
Venom, is it possible for you to post without complaining about or deriding something? Stop being such a pretentious tool.

Call him arak0r2006.

Paint_It_Black
12-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Venom, is it possible for you to post without complaining about or deriding something?

About as often as you post without insulting someone, I'd guess. We all have our passions.

ninthlayer
12-10-2006, 11:48 PM
About as often as you post without insulting someone, I'd guess. We all have our passions.
A quick search showed that only about 5% of my recent posts were insulting towards others, because I'm all positive and shit. Besides, I'm an established member that actually likes and is liked by other people here. Whereas Venom is, uh, well.. a nobody that likes to act all counter-culture and business.

See the difference?

Endymion
12-10-2006, 11:55 PM
See the difference?

no, but i can taste it.

ninthlayer
12-10-2006, 11:57 PM
I miss your sultry and seductive voice.

Llamas
12-11-2006, 01:32 AM
the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Metropolis

These just made up for the fact that I hate you.

Bazza
12-11-2006, 02:32 AM
Has no one mentioned the '60s version of Dr Zhivago?

Little_Miss_1565
12-11-2006, 05:26 AM
No, no, it's really, really not. People only say that because it apparently championed and innovated deep-focus cinematography. It didn't. It was the first mainstream film to do it, but definitely not the first. It was just Welles parading around with his grandeur storyline of ridiculous proportions basically saying "Look! See? The stuff on the wall in the background is in FOCUS!"

It's only achievement.

Do you know even the slightest thing about mise-en-scene? No? Shut up.

Bazza
12-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Sadly, I don't actually have it on my computer (I watched it when I was younger on the TV).

Edit: I've found a torrent link, if it helps
http://torrentbox.com/torrent_details?id=32692

Bazza
12-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Sorry, that link doesn't work, I just checked. It's very difficult to find the film on the internet.

JoY
12-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Call him arak0r2006.

no, stupid. (<3) you can in no way, wait.. you can in ONE way compare Joey & Venom. but that's it.

RickyCrack
12-11-2006, 09:08 PM
1. Eraserhead

2. China Town

3. Casablanca

4. Stagecoach

5. Good bad & the Ugly/Fistfull of dollars/A few dollars more

6. Psycho

7. The Manchurian Candidate (the one with old blue eyes)

8. The Bicycle Thief

9. Breathless

10. Brazil

Venom Symbiote
12-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Do you know even the slightest thing about mise-en-scene? No? Shut up.

Wow, way to answer for me, I guess. :rolleyes:

Thing is, Kane's divided about half and half in the views of academics and Hollywood historians. Some love it, some hate it. You can't say it's not a valid view to lean towards the great deal of professors who think it's a complete fuck-up of a film.

Like I said, Rules Of The Game kicks its ass. Vertigo, Deliverance, Psycho, plenty of other movies out there that beat it down and piss on it. And hell, Deliverance and Psycho aren't even some of the better of those.

Vertigo is downright fucking amazing, though.

Llamas
12-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Lola Rennt

O (pretend julia stiles isn't in it because she almost ruins it :-/)

Zoolander

JohnnyNemesis
12-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever.

Venom Symbiote
12-11-2006, 10:46 PM
I'm gonna shift the focus for a second to action movies, what the hell right?

1. True Lies (it's actually pretty shit, but it's so fucking over-the-top fun I'm putting it here, fuck everything)
2. Terminator 2 (mandatory)
3. Aliens (Heh, first three are all Cameron flicks, big surprise here)
4. Die Hard (and no, I don't like the sequels)
5. Predator (the sequel isn't as bad as everyone keeps saying, but the original is just plain hardcore)

Endymion
12-11-2006, 11:29 PM
GET TO THE CHOPPER!

ps: rickycrack has an excellent list.

RickyCrack
12-11-2006, 11:30 PM
Wow, way to answer for me, I guess. :rolleyes:

Thing is, Kane's divided about half and half in the views of academics and Hollywood historians. Some love it, some hate it. You can't say it's not a valid view to lean towards the great deal of professors who think it's a complete fuck-up of a film.

Like I said, Rules Of The Game kicks its ass. Vertigo, Deliverance, Psycho, plenty of other movies out there that beat it down and piss on it. And hell, Deliverance and Psycho aren't even some of the better of those.

Vertigo is downright fucking amazing, though.

Wrongo.

http://libres.lib.uiowa.edu.proxy.lib.uiowa.edu/main/Fall%202006/Schlotterbeck%5F048%5F020%5F001/Bazin_The%20technique%20of%20Citizen%20Kane.pdf

What people tend to fail to realize when talking about Citizen Kane is that Welles is the first to use the actual techniques towards mis-en-scene. Deep focus was invented, however, it was not used exclusively. This point also becomes moot when viewing the work of the Lumiere brothers on nickelodeons. The shot of "The Arrival of a Train at the Station" is done in broad daylight and the illusion of deep focus is created with the positioning of the camera towards the light. It's also important to notice the use of the ceiling in shots. What you failed to realize is that studio sets are not made with a ceiling, also likewise since the sets for Citizen Kane are built with ceilings, it becomes a very large problem with how to light a scene.

http://www.technofilms.com/images/Back%20Pages%20Pics/Over%20head%20light%20hanging%20for%20movie%20make rs%20and%20film%20studios.jpg
Standard lighting used in classical hollywood.

I should now note that it is fine to criticize Citizen Kane. I don't have a problem if somebody dosn't like it. However, the problem to realize is that Citizen Kane is the first movie to use these techniques. It's Orson Welles creativity and use of mis-en-scene in cinemetography, lighting, editing, and camera placement that has yet to be surpassed by any film. This is why it is considered the greatest movie of all time.

Little_Miss_1565
12-12-2006, 05:33 AM

And you can't say it's valid to not be able to form your own opinion based on what is clearly a benchmark in the purest of aesthetic terms. The plot is balls, but that's really besides the point. Take a photography class or two.

wheelchairman
12-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Has no one mentioned the '60s version of Dr Zhivago?
I was bored all the way through. And it was a long film to be bored through. I guess it's cause I'm not a woman.

I'm gonna shift the focus for a second to action movies, what the hell right?

1. True Lies (it's actually pretty shit, but it's so fucking over-the-top fun I'm putting it here, fuck everything)
2. Terminator 2 (mandatory)
3. Aliens (Heh, first three are all Cameron flicks, big surprise here)
4. Die Hard (and no, I don't like the sequels)
5. Predator (the sequel isn't as bad as everyone keeps saying, but the original is just plain hardcore)
Terminator 2 is not fucking mandatory. It's about a SENSITIVE ROBOT. Christ I hate that film so much. Stupid fucking Cameron and his shitty ideas. :( "Let's explore mankind by putting it next to a crying muscle building robot." Ugh. That's one step away from Star Trek's "Let's explore mankind by putting it next to a skinny, geeky robot."

The rest are all good. Aliens is the best Aliens film, despite the fact that it has Cameron's typical shitty character development lines in it.

I even like James Cameron, it's just I can't help but hate him. The fat stupid fuck. :(

But christ, Terminator 2 is so pathetic for what it could've been (A more expensive Terminator 1).

Jakebert
12-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Even though you're looking strictly for classics, I'd like to reccommend some shitty classics. Sometimes, horribly done sci-fi and horror movies can be amazingly entertaining.

1.) Manos: The Hands of Fate.

Be careful going into this one. This one isn't really that entertaining, but should be seen by any movie buff, seeing as it's probably the worst movie ever made.

2.) Abraxas: Guardian of the Universe.

Really bad knockoff of Terminator 2 starring Jesse "The Body" Ventura. Has some really, really hilariously clunky dialogue and, like all movies need, a chase scene through a factory that makes sparks.

3.) Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.

Really, it's more a children's movie than an actual sci-fi movie, but it still works on the same level as any cheesy sci-fi movie.

4.) Space Mutiny.

It's supposed to take place on a spaceship, but it's obviously just an old warehouse. Also, there's a chase scene that's done on rideable vaccuum cleaners.

5.) The Giant Spider Invasion.

No list of bad movies can be complete without a movie about a giant bug terrorizing a small town. This is one of my favorites.

RickyCrack
12-12-2006, 03:15 PM
You make me want to kill Greeks.

Llamas
12-12-2006, 03:17 PM
- One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (director: Milos Forman; starring: Jack Nicholson) Good movie... as long as you NEVER read the book. Even after. The movie completely destroys it. I mean, it doesn't even have the same point, perspective, or themes. Bah. I saw it after reading the book and couldn't believe how popular it was. And I'm normally very good at watching movies objectively after reading books.

wheelchairman
12-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Good movie... as long as you NEVER read the book. Even after. The movie completely destroys it. I mean, it doesn't even have the same point, perspective, or themes. Bah. I saw it after reading the book and couldn't believe how popular it was. And I'm normally very good at watching movies objectively after reading books.

The book is awesome. (Cascadian culture at it's best.)
The movie was also filmed in Oregon, and is therefore good. It just doesn't have *any* of the power that the book had.

Llamas
12-12-2006, 03:25 PM
The book is awesome. (Cascadian culture at it's best.)
YES. One of the best books I've ever read. (Not that I've read a ton, or anything, though.)

The movie was also filmed in Oregon, and is therefore good.Haha, nerd! :p

It just doesn't have *any* of the power that the book had.
Right. It wasn't even just like they changed some minor things or left out some scenes. They completely reworked many things.

Lodat225
12-12-2006, 07:16 PM
I think "What's eating Gilbert Grapes" is an awesome movie.

Endymion
12-12-2006, 08:43 PM
generally agreed about one flew over the cuckoo's nest. book = fantastically amazing, movie = different, yet still pretty good.

JohnnyNemesis
12-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I'm going to avoid that book if only to keep the godlike quality of the movie alive. It's so incredibly well done!

RickyCrack
12-12-2006, 11:20 PM
I have a secret hard-on for Jack Nickelson. (i don't care to spell his name right, as I have been drinking and only want to announce my undying homo-crush for him)

wheelchairman
12-13-2006, 09:01 AM
Anyways speaking of action films. I'm a big fan of Paul Verhoeven's works.

The pinnacle of which I believe is Robocop. This film has everything from awesome action scenes, to tongue in cheek humor, to gritty social commentary. I even reviewed it once here:
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24034&highlight=Robocop

Other good films to check are Total Recall (based on a short story by Phillip Dick, if you like this you'd also like Minority Report, and maybe Blade Runner).

Other good action films:
Red Heat (Arnold Schwarzenegger is a russian cop in Chicago)
Starship Troopers (by Paul Verhoeven)
Boondock Saints (Willem Dafoe's best acting)
Shawshank Redemption (great prison movie)
Cider House Rules (but everyone's seen it and the book is superior.)

Venom Symbiote
12-13-2006, 01:33 PM
Robocop is awesome, yeah. It's only just missing out on my top 5 list, but definitely not far behind. It's a shame watching T1/Robocop/Alien now, they just look so damn dated. :( Great movies though.

And Starship Troopers kicked fucking ass, in that "B movie" kind of fashion. Apparently it's nothing like the source material either, but meh. That was seriously one ballsy movie. Intense.

JohnnyNemesis
12-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Starship Troopers

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo!

Bazza
12-13-2006, 01:37 PM
And Starship Troopers kicked fucking ass, in that "B movie" kind of fashion. Apparently it's nothing like the source material either, but meh. That was seriously one ballsy movie. Intense.

I liked it only for comedy value, and Denise Richards! Apparantly the second one is shit.

Venom Symbiote
12-13-2006, 01:53 PM
I haven't seen the second one.

But yeah, you're right: laughable (really quite shitty) sci-fi hijinks with brutal action scenes and scantily-clad Denise Richards? I'm fucking there.

It's entertaining.

Not exactly a movie where you're too worried about the dialogue.

Bazza
12-13-2006, 01:59 PM
and scantily-clad Denise Richards?

Have you seen Wild Things??!

wheelchairman
12-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Robocop is awesome, yeah. It's only just missing out on my top 5 list, but definitely not far behind. It's a shame watching T1/Robocop/Alien now, they just look so damn dated. :( Great movies though.

The book is kinda lol. I used to be into Heinlein as a kid.

Johnny, niggers suck!

T-6005
12-13-2006, 02:14 PM
There's a second one?

And I used to like the book as well. Haven't read it in years, though.

Bazza
12-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Think it bombed when it came out.

wheelchairman
12-13-2006, 02:17 PM
The first one had a budget of around 100 Million dollars.
The second one had 7 million I think.

It really is quite awful. Rather ludicrous fight scene with the captain in it as well. Kinda worth a watch, kinda not. It's okay. You can buy them in a box set here rather cheaply.

BREAK
12-13-2006, 02:27 PM
and maybe Blade Runner

Using the word "maybe" in connection with that movie discredits the shit out of everything you say. Never express an opinion on this subject again.

wheelchairman
12-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Using the word "maybe" in connection with that movie discredits the shit out of everything you say. Never express an opinion on this subject again.

Well I haven't seen it, which I believe I also said. It's just another film based on a P. Dick novella.

Lodat225
12-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Have you seen Wild Things??!

I saw Wild Things when i was around 12, and that was my first boner.

BREAK
12-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Well I haven't seen it, which I believe I also said. It's just another film based on a P. Dick novella.

The fact that you haven't seen it makes you even less qualified to talk about film.

Not that you should go out and see it immediately or anything. I don't want you weighing in with your asinine opinion on it afterward.

wheelchairman
12-13-2006, 03:16 PM
oh if I watched every film some blowhard douche recommended I'd be stuck seeing crappy films that people like Venom Symbiote pretend to like.

Venom Symbiote
12-13-2006, 05:07 PM
What the hell? ^ That didn't make much sense.

But yeah, if you haven't seen Blade Runner, stop talking about movies.

Endymion
12-13-2006, 05:11 PM

like cuckoo's nest, the book is fucking fantastic and the movie is pretty damn good. seriously, the book is one of the best scifis i've read.

wheelchairman
12-13-2006, 05:40 PM
What the hell? ^ That didn't make much sense.

But yeah, if you haven't seen Blade Runner, stop talking about movies.

Why? I recommended it because it was by the same author.
And sure it does, you come off as having a lot of blowhard opinions.

EDIT: So does break. But he tries to bring up street card. Nevertheless people actually like him.

Llamas
12-13-2006, 06:07 PM
I have a secret hard-on for Jack Nickelson. (i don't care to spell his name right, as I have been drinking and only want to announce my undying homo-crush for him)

That reminds me of another important film to see. The Shining.

Well, one year ago, I had heard he couldn't stand the look of himself in the mirror, Jack couldn't. He found himself unbearably ugly & old compared to what he was before.

I don't know whether others have noticed it, but he now looks much better than he did just a few years ago. I guess he had the hollywood beauty treatment, complete with facelift.

Umm, he looks like shit now. He looked much better before.

And Wild Things was a very interesting movie... but GOD Denise Richards is so ugly and scary looking. And fucking A, I did not need to see her on top of matt dylon having alcohol poured on her boobs. She's so gross.