PDA

View Full Version : We just got a puppy

Jebus
12-10-2006, 09:38 PM
My brother bough a two month old pit bull the other day. This is our first dog so we're not 100% what we're doing. He pees, poops, and is one needy son of a bitch. It refuses to go to sleep unless one of us is holding him. He kept us up awake yesterday half the nigh because he hates to be alone.

So I'm asking for any general tips that might help with anything.

Rag Doll
12-10-2006, 09:42 PM
My mom trained my dog, so I'm not too sure. Some things that may help him though...

Give him a fleece blanket with everyones scent on it. Meaning, everyone sleep with it, sit with it, something...that way he will feel like the family is near him when he sleeps. You can also get a clock that audibly ticks and put it near where he sleeps, since it reminds them of a heartbeat.

I also demand pictures.

All About Eve
12-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Advice? Try adding T's to the end of words that need them.

Puppies are automatically going to be needy no matter what, so no help there. Make sure to play with it a lot during the day though, so it'll be relatively tired at night and won't have as much trouble going to sleep.

Llamas
12-10-2006, 09:46 PM
If you wrap said blanket around said clock, the puppy will likely cuddle up next to it, associating it with its mom.

Camilamazed
12-10-2006, 09:55 PM
I had some problems like that with my puppy as well (14 years ago). She used to sleep all day long and wanted some attention during the night. Well, I had to spend some time with her. Play with him, feed him and wait for him to get tired. I know it may be tiring but that's the way it works.

I'll never forget the day I woke up in the middle of the night because Lili was crying. I woke up, played with her and gave her some milk. Than she started playing around and I fell asleep on the chair. When I woke up , I found her sleeping behind the fridge. I believe because that was a warm place.

Yes, puppies need to feel warm to sleep. So wrap him with a blanket and you'll seee that it works.

Tired_Of_You
12-10-2006, 09:59 PM
ohmygod. reminds me of when i got my dog over 3 years ago. i didn't sleep for at least a week. i hate to say that, but... it will pass. the only thing you can do is to find things that will remind him of your family when he sleeps. apparently clocks work, like sam said. it didn't work for me, because the one we used for my dog was broken, but we didn't remember. it started ringing in the middle of the night and my little dog started crying for the rest of the night, even after we stopped it. also, camilamazed is right. we also used a big coke bottle with warm water and put it in a blanket. my dog would then sleep close to it.

T-6005
12-10-2006, 10:47 PM
I have a soft sport for puppies, kittens, and babies. I'm a sucker.

Advice? None whatsoever.

Llamas
12-10-2006, 10:53 PM
The warmth thing is true, as everyone has said. There are a lot of ways you can make the puppy calm down a lot, but as Valerie said, you probably won't get a lot of sleep. Baby animals in general have a lot to get used to when they're first taken from their parents, and the best thing you can do is try to emulate they circumstances they'd be around if they were with their mothers. Warmth, ticking/beating... if the puppy can sleep in a bed with a person, that would be optimal... but you said he pees and poops a lot, so yeah that might not work...

Endymion
12-10-2006, 10:54 PM
hint: don't eat the puppy.
hint: do not allow the puppy to jump in front of a train.
hint: feed the puppy.
hint: ZOMG WHEN CAN I COME VISIT AND SEE PUPPY???!??!!!!
hint: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!? I LOVE PUPPIES!
hint: I'LL BRING SCOOBY SNACKS!

calichix
12-10-2006, 10:54 PM
awwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!! pit bulls are the sweetest little things on the planet. pictures immediately, muchacho.

Paint_It_Black
12-10-2006, 11:26 PM
It refuses to go to sleep unless one of us is holding him.

Hmm, that must be inconvenient. Try asking your local veterinarian to put it to sleep.

the_GoDdEsS
12-11-2006, 01:02 AM
Pitbull puppy! Pictures!

Sin Studly
12-11-2006, 02:43 AM
...pit bull.... we're not 100% what we're doing...

Jesus Christ, what the fuck is wrong with people? If you're not sure how to train a dog, maybe you should have considered not buying one with a skull like a cinderblock, a chest like a brick wall and a set of jaws like an industrial piledriver.

ninthlayer
12-11-2006, 03:24 AM
Sauté it.

killer_queen
12-11-2006, 04:11 AM
What everyone said. I mean, awwww! A pitbull puppy! I want to see! Pictures please.

Richard is mean, btw. And mean people suck.

Paint_It_Black
12-11-2006, 04:31 AM
I'm sorry.

Blah blah blah cute blah blah blah pictures. Better?

Llamas
12-11-2006, 04:31 AM
You are such a conformist, Richard.

Nina
12-11-2006, 06:31 AM
Puppies are evil :(

the_offsprings_monkey
12-11-2006, 08:33 AM
I thought Pit bulls were illegal?! Maybe that's only over here.
Some helpful advice, if it bites you and you can't get him off, pull his front legs apart, this'll crush his heart (literally) and get him off... Don't ask me why I had to share that, but it's what someone told me once lol.

Amiralanal
12-11-2006, 08:48 AM
My brother bough a two month old pit bull the other day. This is our first dog so we're not 100% what we're doing. He pees, poops, and is one needy son of a bitch. It refuses to go to sleep unless one of us is holding him. He kept us up awake yesterday half the nigh because he hates to be alone.

So I'm asking for any general tips that might help with anything.

that sounds gay

0r4ng3
12-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Dang. So much for the race joke I had prepared.

Amiral, stop being so worthless.

JoY
12-11-2006, 11:42 AM
it's a puppy. what do you expect? do you think you were born doing your business on a toilet while reading some Shakespeare, talking full sentences?

when we got Max (long time ago, he died when he was 1.5), my brother & I slept with him in the same room. baby dogs are a lot like baby human beings. they don't have a biologic rhythm yet. all they know is when they are hungry, when they need to go & when they want a cuddle. they don't know whether it's day or night, because that's all still to be developed. (serotonin -> melatonin in the eyes, et cetera) the fact puppies & babies aren't born potty trained, is because the nerve system isn't developed enough to give a signal when they WILL need to go soon. it'll only give a signal when it needs to go, when either the blatter or rectum is fully filled & ready to dump its content. then it starts to get restless & does what it needs to do, no matter what time it is & where it is at that time.

I'll tell you what; sleep with the dog in the same room. set an alarm clock & take it outside every, what? two hours, or so. I don't know the exact times. maybe you'll have to wake it up & you'll think that it's finally sleeping now & doesn't have to go... it *will* have to go, sooner than you think. just take it outside & it'll learn that every time it goes outside, it's expected to do its business. take the pup outside frequently during the day too. wait till it's done its thing. if nothing happens, nothing happens, but when you eventually go back inside, the dog will know it's had its chance to poop/pee outside & that he didn't take it. don't get mad when the dog poops/pees in the house & know he can't help it, because its nerve system isn't developed. when you put it under stress, it'll only get worse, because fear of peeing/pooping in the house will cause them to have even less control over it. just let it witness that you're cleaning it & take it outside again for 5 to 10 minutes. by then it's already too late, but the dog will get the connection.

& some respect is in order. you weren't potty trained till you were four. imagine your dog not being potty trained till it's four. I bet no one would ever even take a dog, if they resembled human beings a bit more.

JoY
12-11-2006, 11:43 AM
My mom trained my dog, so I'm not too sure. Some things that may help him though...

Give him a fleece blanket with everyones scent on it. Meaning, everyone sleep with it, sit with it, something...that way he will feel like the family is near him when he sleeps. You can also get a clock that audibly ticks and put it near where he sleeps, since it reminds them of a heartbeat.

I also demand pictures.

I fully second this post.

hint: do not allow the puppy to jump in front of a train.
hint: feed the puppy.
hint: ZOMG WHEN CAN I COME VISIT AND SEE PUPPY???!??!!!!
hint: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!? I LOVE PUPPIES!
hint: I'LL BRING SCOOBY SNACKS!

tell me when I'll stop loving you & I won't believe you.

Llamas
12-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Some helpful advice, if it bites you and you can't get him off, pull his front legs apart, this'll crush his heart (literally) and get him off... Don't ask me why I had to share that, but it's what someone told me once lol.

pitbulls are dangerous if you don't train them right and they aren't neutered/spayed. No, they're not illegal in the US, but it's required by law that you get them neutered/spayed in California.

calichix
12-11-2006, 03:39 PM
I know a lady who raised a pitbull and had her for like 7 years then one day she was kissing her and the dog bit the side of her face off. :( She still has it. I hate people who have dangerous animals then kill the animal when they get hurt.

JoY
12-11-2006, 03:52 PM
that's horrible.:(

my parents bought a German Shepherd once, one that was "second hand" & had been from a judge, who'd called it "Just", named after justitia. of course he'd raised the sweetheart to guard the place, but in what way.. he put him on a chain (always, because he was trained so it was the only safe way to keep him), then gave him dinner & put it down just a liiiitle bit too far, so he just couldn't reach it. he could smell it, he could almost taste it, he could see it, but he couldn't reach it. that's one of the ways how he trained Just.

when my parents bought him, they didn't have me yet, but they already had my brother. (sounds weird) they wanted to take the dog home with them on the backseat with my brother, who was a little tiny blonde haired boy then, but they said; "you are going to let him near that child?!". that made my mother realise how messed up the creature was that they'd just bought. my parents took him home anyway & tried to reraise & retrain him the best they could. the problem was, in the beginning he trusted no one & my mother was scared to death of him. after a while the only ones he trusted were my parents & my brother, so every time someone tried to come near our house, he tried to rip them into parts. it got better & the dog got older. traumatised as Just was (still speaking of a dog, so you decide if the term "traumatised" is appropriate. I think it is), his behaviour was getting more & more acceptable & "family-friendly". until my brother was playing outside (he was 5 then, I still wasn't born yet) & the mailman came.

as usual Just saw the stranger as a threat, thought he was taking/hurting my brother, tried to bite him, but bit my brother in the arm. it, the bite, was so severe, they took Just away & put him down. my parents were devistated. so close.. so close to raising him to become a friendly dog. they couldn't undo the damage though. it'd gone on for too long before they bought him. aw, I never knew the dog, but when I think of him, I still feel it's so unfair & just rage.:(

killer_queen
12-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Dogs must live with their trainers, that's for sure. My father's friend gave us his dog when I was small. It wasn't dangerous or anything but it had weird habits. His owner didn't tell anything about him so we didn't know that he couldn't sleep alone. We had a small disaster after letting him stay and sleep in the garden.

Anyway, the dog that calichix mentioned doesn't sound that dangerous. Actually it sounds like the dog has a sense of humour.

Llamas
12-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Seriously, one of the things I hate the most in this world are people who get pets and either don't raise them or raise them poorly.

It's great if your dog wants to protect you from intruders or bad people... but that is no way to ever treat a dog. The food thing? That is so cruel.

When I was like 13, my mom brought home a beagle/basset hound puppy. He was 4 months old. I asked my mom where he came from, and she told me a story. Basically, she was doing one of her visits (she did welcome wagon... which was a program that would get a list of new people in the area and they'd go to their houses and welcome them to the community, give them a lot of information, and give them free things from different services and stores. It was a great program until it got shut down), and this business couple was who she was visiting. They were very hurried and rushed, and they had two puppies- the beagle/basset hound, and a rottweiler. My mom noticed that the puppies just wanted affection soooo badly... but when they'd go up to their owners, the parents would push them away. So they both climbed on my mom... the rottweiler lied on her shoulders, and the beagle/basset lied in her lap. The sweetest things ever. So my mom was talking about how adorable they were... and the owners said, "Oh god, take them! We don't want them. We're never home. Seriously take them." We already had one dog, so my mom decided it would only be okay to bring home a second and not a third. Since rottweilers are much harder to train, she brought the beagle/basset home.

Right away, I noticed that every time I'd bring my hand to my head, or raise my hand when I was around him, he'd cower and whimper severely. He also had really bad seizures. It took him over a year to get over the cowering thing. I can't believe that he had only been 4 months old and had been abused so much that the slightest hand motion would make him cry.

I hated the people who owned him before, even though I never met him. They bought two puppies that they chose to ignore and abuse. I don't even want to know what happened to the rottweiler. I felt so bad for it.

The beagle/basset still lives with my family, and he is the sweetest and most affectionate dog. He isn't afraid anymore, and the seizures have gotten better. He's 9 years old now, and he's definitely getting old, but I just can't even explain how depressing it was to know how he'd been treated. That kind of thing just sickens me.

calichix
12-12-2006, 01:33 AM
My brothers and I never trained our dog (it's half ridgeback half pitbull). He SORT OF knows not to piss in the house but doing anything on command would nevvvvvvver happen. Actually my brothers taught him to maul stuff when they say "Go get him". Which is weird cause he does that but we couldn't get "sit" and all that through to him at all.

Sin Studly
12-12-2006, 03:54 AM

You're a fucking idiot and you know nothing about dogs. People who give advice on things when they know nothing about it are generally annoying. People who give advice on RAISING PITBULLS when they know nothing about it should be considered a menace to society and hanged.

Sin Studly
12-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Actually, pulling the front legs apart from each other will be more likely to call a dog off than kicking it in the head. Pitbull's skulls are too thick to stun them with a kick. It's the passing on of hearsay as good advice that pisses me off, especially when it's in fields like pitbull training, explosives handling and biological warfare. But let's be honest here, if a pitbull decides to attack you there's not a whole lot you can do to stop it. They're all muscle, solid as hell, and tenacious. They'll shrug off any punch or kick. Breaking the ligaments in their front shoulders (not exploding the heart, you dumbfuck) or gouging out the eyes isn't guaranteed to stop them if they've already got a hold on you.

the_offsprings_monkey
12-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Haaaa, hahahaha. Here "sauter" means to fuck in slang. Give your puppy pit a good shag, Jebus.

You sometimes disgust me Maria.

Llamas
12-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Yeah, but in France they also call the residents "human". You can't believe anything they tell you there.

Llamas
12-12-2006, 03:28 PM
I feel I really must differ. Apparently, you can, since those residents are human.

omg omg! Misplaced comma! My English is clearly superior to yours! lolol.

Llamas
12-12-2006, 03:31 PM
"Misplaced comma!" is an exclamation, which is a type of sentence. Much like, "Holy crap!"

JohnnyNemesis
12-12-2006, 03:34 PM
A sentence must have a subject, verb, and a complete thought.

Yeah, but people over the age of 9 have moved on from Elementary School English, and we employ things like style and other things that are acceptable. You're operating on the stuff teachers teach their students so that they'll get the fundamentals down before exploring language on their own and using it in other acceptable ways.

In other words, shut up.

Llamas
12-12-2006, 03:34 PM
Then by that logic, "Hey!" is every bit as bad as "Misplaced comma!"

the_offsprings_monkey
12-12-2006, 03:35 PM
You sometimes disgust me Maria.

This was a joke...

Llamas
12-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Good job! It IS style! You are learning! I was applying your same logic back to you and waiting for you to take the bait. Success. :)

the_offsprings_monkey
12-12-2006, 03:39 PM
I really must know. Where ever did I misplace the comma? After the adverb?

Wasn't that style, too? *moves shoulders in a french way*

Ashley, I see by your av you're quite the fan of Planet of the Apes (second installment). Even if you're not a fan, I must say I am, though.

Is my avatar from POTA? Heh never knew that.

Paint_It_Black
12-13-2006, 12:09 AM
Here we're told that the Nazis let their dogs satiate their lust on Jewish women during WW2.

Well, you might be right. Your people certainly got a good close-up look at the Nazi's.

Where I come from, we let our soldiers satiate their lust on french women after liberating them. It's like what you said, except sort of reversed.

JohnnyNemesis
12-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Well, you might be right. Your people certainly got a good close-up look at the Nazi's.

Unfathomable win, holy fucking shit.

arak0r
12-13-2006, 12:13 AM
awwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!! pit bulls are the sweetest little things on the planet. pictures immediately, muchacho.
loooooool

Jesus Christ, what the fuck is wrong with people? If you're not sure how to train a dog, maybe you should have considered not buying one with a skull like a cinderblock, a chest like a brick wall and a set of jaws like an industrial piledriver.
exactly what i was thinking.

calichix
12-13-2006, 01:28 AM
I don't see how kicking it in the head would make it keel over (is that what K.O. means? keel over?) A pit bull's head feels like a metal stump. Well actually I guess if you kicked him in the jaw it might freak him out a little bit. But putting any appendage near its mouth probably isn't a good idea. I'd just run up a tree. :/

JohnnyNemesis
12-13-2006, 01:43 AM
KO = Knockout, darlin'.

Sin Studly
12-13-2006, 05:16 AM
I don't see how kicking it in the head would make it keel over

It wouldn't. But who are we to argue with Maria, if she can fight off armed robbers with just a little bit of "gutsies", I'm sure she can kick hard enough to stun a mastiff.

Sin Studly
12-13-2006, 05:30 AM
Pitbulls are mastiffs. There's a reason there are heavy battle tanks called "Mastiff". Kicking them will only piss them off.