PDA

View Full Version : Hangovers

T-6005
12-12-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm in pain and not used to dealing with hangovers. I need something brilliant, drastic, and that works every time to cure these fucking things. I realize that's not possible but I welcome any attempts.

At least I can justify my hangover by saying that I got to the 7th World of Super Mario 3 without using any of those pussy warp flutes last night. What a night it was, my friends.

So I'm not very good at Mario.

T-6005
12-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Mario 3, not World.

0r4ng3
12-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Always, always have an extra mushroom in stock in the blue box at the top of the screen.

If could really save your ass.Is that advice for Mario, or the hangover?

My advice is to make sure you have at least one ring at all times. You can't die if you have at least one ring. Also, be careful with the spin-dash.

WebDudette
12-12-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm sure he figured that out on his own.

I heard something about greasy breakfast helping but I have no idea if that is true.

T-6005
12-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Here are some more great tips:

1. Press left or right on the control pad to move around

2. Press A to jump

Remember: You're the guy dressed in red!
Are you actually trying to be funny?

Llamas
12-12-2006, 05:59 PM
drunk + video games = glory.

Camilamazed
12-12-2006, 06:11 PM
That's something I might do someday. Play Mario drunk. It's got to be awesome =)

T-6005
12-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Surprisingly, it gets more difficult the drunker you are, AND the farther you get.

It's like the world is against you. :(

Bazza
12-12-2006, 07:06 PM
When you get in from a night out, or just before you go to bed, down a couple of pints of water. It makes it slightly better the next day.

Mota Boy
12-12-2006, 07:17 PM
As Bazza said, a stitch in time saves nine. Always be sure to be properly hydrated before going to bed, and it also helps to get some carbs down.

However, if that's unavailable... the ol' "Hair of the Dog" really does the trick. Drink a bit of alcohol. Yes, I know it seems like it's the last thing you want, but it helps (however, based on personal experience, this doesn't work as well if you wake up drunk). Drink it as well as some Gatorade to get some electrolytes and shit back into your system. Or just water.

Essentially, drink liquid. A little bit of alcohol and a fair amount of water. It might come back up later, but getting it down is the best thing you can do.

Llamas
12-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Surprisingly, it gets more difficult the drunker you are, AND the farther you get.

It's like the world is against you. :(

Yes, but the drunker you get, the less you realize you're losing. and then it's game over and you've already forgotten you were playing video games, lolz.

Bazza
12-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Counterstrike was fun drunk, I actually played better :p

Sinister
12-12-2006, 07:31 PM
I've had similar performance boosts sometimes.

Camilamazed
12-12-2006, 07:41 PM
I don't think it's possible to play Yoshi's island drunk or Super Mario world in Tubular....

Sinister
12-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Fuck you Cammie, now I've gone all nostalgic and I wanna play. :(:(:(:(

PS: SMW was (and still is) the shit.

Camilamazed
12-12-2006, 07:45 PM
I feel like playing as well. These are the best from Mario.

The only thing I hate in Yoshi's Island is that HO - RRI -BLE flower. :mad:

Paint_It_Black
12-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Mario drunk.

This should be a game. Mario Drunk.

Mota Boy
12-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Oh, and I am amazing at certain video games when I'm stoned. The raining champion at Puzzle Fighter among me and my friends was me stoned. I was decent by myself, but after inhaling the wacky tobacky I would destroy people. I was also similarly good at Tekken 3, but those competitions weren't nearly as intense.

JohnnyNemesis
12-12-2006, 11:52 PM
Drunken Super Monkey Ball ftw. Monkey fight? I'm unstoppable. And talk a lot of trash.

Tizzalicious
12-13-2006, 01:34 AM
I feel like I have a hangover, but it's a migraine. Hangover without the fun last night. GREAT.

When I do have a hangover though, I usually drink a lot of tea. Water makes me sick if it's too much, but tea is fine, and it helps.

Sin Studly
12-13-2006, 04:26 AM
What Mota Boy said will help with any garden-variety hangover. However, that's not what you asked for.

I need something brilliant, drastic, and that works every time to cure these fucking things. I realize that's not possible...

Guess again. Hydration is the most important part, and should be enough on its own. However, if you've gotten yourself so ridiculously fucked-up that drinking water just makes you retch and gag, I have a wonder-cure.

There's a miraculous little drug known as Stematol. I'm not gonna bother looking up the generic name so you can see what it's labelled as in your country, you can do that yourself, but it comes in IM vials. If you know anybody in the health care industry it should be easy to get your hands on some. On the rare occasions that I've gotten myself really badly hungover, I've simply drawn up an ampoule into a large-bore syringe and shot that shit into my asscheek.

I'll admit that sticking a giant needle into your ass while holding a mirror behind you to make sure you haven't hit blood doesn't sound like much fun with a raging hangover. But it beats the alterantive of suffering in horrible horrible pain.

Amiralanal
12-13-2006, 04:31 AM
WTF everybody ignored my hangover thread

Amiralanal
12-13-2006, 04:32 AM
I'm in pain and not used to dealing with hangovers. I need something brilliant, drastic, and that works every time to cure these fucking things. I realize that's not possible but I welcome any attempts.

btw. take a cold shower or bath, drink a lot of coke

Sin Studly
12-13-2006, 04:34 AM
WTF everybody ignored my hangover thread

Because we think you deserve to suffer.

Sinister
12-13-2006, 05:52 AM
Oh, and I am amazing at certain video games when I'm stoned. The raining champion at Puzzle Fighter among me and my friends was me stoned. I was decent by myself, but after inhaling the wacky tobacky I would destroy people. I was also similarly good at Tekken 3, but those competitions weren't nearly as intense.
I suppose after this I can share my personal story... first time I smoked a lot of weed, me and my friend went out for American football practice... I usually hardly ever catch a ball, but got most of them that time.

0r4ng3
12-13-2006, 12:02 PM
This should be a game. Mario Drunk.
I'm surprised it isn't. I mean, there's a friggin' Mario DDR, why not this?

Overworked & Underfucked
12-14-2006, 06:08 AM
Yes, drink water before you get into bed. Also take aspirin or advil (not Tylenol... something in it mixing with alcohol is bad for your kidneys or liver or something) BEFORE you go to bed and then again when you get up in the morning. Advil Liquigels are the best for a headache. Also, keep water and a sweet drink like gingerale next to your bed, so everytime you wake up in the middle of the night you can drink a bit more. If it's more your stomach in the morning than your head, chew on some Tums.

Other than that, either suck it up or stop drinking.

Sin Studly
12-14-2006, 06:53 AM
Tylenol damages the liver only in high doses or in already cirhottic livers. Don't believe stupid urban myths like that.

JoY
12-17-2006, 04:56 AM
about everything has been said, but I'll reply anyway;

*eat before you start drinking.
the alcohol will hit in less hard.

*drink lots of water before you go to bed.
I don't know if you realise what causes the headache? but it's dehydration of brainfluids that normally function as shock-protection. every movement of the head hurts, when brainfluids are dehydrated, because your brain shrank away from the skull a bit & is banging more directly against the inside of your skull. dehydration is also what gives you the feeling of physical weakness, when being hungover. there's a lot more that adds to hangover, like the damage to the lining of the stomach, but I'll leave it to Wiki to explain that to you;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangover
two to three large glasses of water before you go to bed should do the trick sufficiently, or else you'll keep running back & forth to the toilet the entire night. besides, if two to three glasses aren't going to help, five to six won't work that much better either, because your body can't suck up water like a spunge, so you're going to pee out what it can't take up at once anyway. not to mention drinking shitloads of water at once isn't too good for you. having a bottle of water & a glass by the side of your bed is a good advice (don't remember who said that), because when you drink some every time you wake up, the intake will be dosed. (if that makes sense)

*take vitamines the morning after the fun.
orange juice, vitamin pills (soluble in water is taken up the fastest, plus more hydration), you name it. vitamin pills preferably, since they also contain B vitamins, that have properties that reduce the hangover. plus, orange juice is pretty acidic. alcohol messes with your metabolism, vitamins are essential in metabolic reactions, so it sets your stomach at ease a bit. (at least, that's my experience) you can add a painkiller, if it's really bad. electrolytes, what Mota mentioned, stimulate the uptake of fluids like crazy & are great against a hangover, but drinks like Gatorade are very sugary & sweet. personally my stomach can't handle that very well after a night drinking. (like it often also can't handle orange juice)

*eat a light breakfast.
this is pretty personal, because some people like a heavy breakfast when they're hungover, but my experience is that a heavy breakfast only works temporarily to eventually cause your stomach to be upset like crazy. small amounts of light/healthy food, swallowed down not too fast, well chewed on, with some time between every bite works best for me. your stomach will slowly start to like you again & you'll feel better quickly, because nutrients are taken up easily & fast this way.

*get up, don't feel sorry for yourself, take a shower, get dressed & do something productive.
most often this takes my mind off my hangover & when doing something productive, I feel better about myself, thus feel better overal. don't choose something that takes a lot of brain activity, obviously.

*don't do anything that involves a screen.
at least not the first few hours after waking up. I'm talking video games, internet, television & the lot. when watching any screen, you're looking directly, straight into a light source. do the math.

in emergencies;
*drink alcohol.
it works likes a charm, temporarily, but eventually it'll come back at you like a boomerang. kind of like how a heavy breakfast works for me.

Paint_It_Black
12-17-2006, 05:01 AM
Someone explain why drinking more alcohol can make you feel better. I'm interested in the medical reasoning behind that.

JoY
12-17-2006, 05:12 AM
medical reasoning? it's just personal experience, I guess. short term it just works, at least for me (& seeing the replies also most other people).

alcohol is a muscle relaxant (that's why drunks talk like retards; their tongue is relaxed), because it slows down the nerve system. maybe it helps for hungovers, because at least your muscles will be more relaxed? maybe dehydration causes contractions of the metabolic tract, trying to take up the last bits of water, causing belly aches, et cetera. then it's only logical alcohol temporarily helps.

all speculations aside, you generally feel less pain when drunk.

Edit: Wiki says;
Biological effects
A hangover is due partly to poisoning by alcohol (production of toxins) and other components of the drink, and partly to the body's reaction to withdrawal from alcohol. Medically, consuming alcohol may help with mitigating the headache of a hangover by depressing the central nervous system, and may ameliorate some of the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, for example, delirium tremens[2]; but it is not medically recommended for hangovers, nor for the long term treatment of problems related to alcohol consumption. Some researchers have suggested that ethanol may help dilute other alcohols that cause many of the hangover symptoms, but no controlled studies were carried out.

Generally speaking, physicians do not recommend 'hair of the dog' treatments for hangovers. [3] Drinking more alcohol can make the symptoms seem to lessen at first, but will only aggravate the symptoms once the liver breaks the alcohol down, because the body will have additional toxins to deal with.

Oxygene
12-17-2006, 10:31 AM
most of the really usefull shit has been said, but a few more pointers

sleep alot, if that's not an option, trying drinking shit that you dillute with water, like scotch, or just drink water while getting drunk. Barf before falling asleep and hydrate yourself after, but before you fall asleep, oh and take some calcium. Stick to one drink the entire night, and it should preferably be quality shit, like Johnny, or Chivas, or Jager or a good quality beer or something. Eat well the entire day when you go out drinking (not just one meal before starting to drink, I had that blow up in my face once big time). Anyway, just be prepared, and be rational, and avoiding hangovers can be a sinch. Oh, and if you've already fucked up, ice cold carbonated mineral water does wonders for me.
And most importantly, learn to hold you liqour

Betty
12-17-2006, 12:15 PM
For me, if I can afford to write off an entire day, I can just sleep it off and eventually will feel human later in the afternoon or evening. This doesn't work for everyone cause some people get "spins" or can't sleep or whatever. And it's not always you have the luxury.

Greasy food. Honestly I think it makes me feel worlds better.

Being outdoors. Hangovers are much more mild when drinking/sleeping outdoors, from experience.

The water thing is obvious but the only times I have horrible hangovers if when I don't remember the last few hours of the night and I was so drunk I passed out before eating or drinking or anything.

DeAtHsTaR
12-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Hangovers suck. I once drank 1/4 bottle of Tequila and a few beers in one night, the hangover was immense. I drank a bunch of orange juice and took some aspirin and that made it a little better. Just make sure the pill doesn't have acetominophen.