PDA

View Full Version : Mota Boy's Thought of the Day

Mota Boy
12-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Today I saw the first robin of winter, and I thought of Calvin.

I remember, as a kid, seeing the spike-haired ADD poster child, wide-eyed with excitement, rushing up to his mother to announce that he’d just witnessed the first robin of spring. “Call the newspapers!”, he shouts, “They’ll probably want an interview! Do you think it will make the front page?” He’s full of the raw excitement of discovery, of being the first to witness some monumental event. Spring is returning. For months, the icy grip of winter has smothered the world, leaving it cold and dark and dead. But now? A-ha! The old bastard is growing weak! Small signs of light and warmth and life are sneaking through his gnarled fingers and bringing back substance to a world once blanketed in an endless white. Life has triumphed over death! The robin is back!

And yet, as left my exam this December afternoon, I walked into a blue sky and warm clime. And there, right smack in the middle of the path was none other than a robin, head cocked, observing curiously my bewilderment. Even more disorienting, he was not merely some lone wayward wanderer. Behind him a dozen more hopped and chirped about, enthusiastically pecking the earth for worms. It’s just not right, I say.

Look, I’ll be the first to admit that I like warm weather. Summer is my favorite season, only preceded by spring, as its harbinger. Fall is next for its residual summer effects. I have a strong distaste for winter. I love warm weather. I love the cool of the evening twilight and the excuses to be outside. Even on hot, muggy days the outdoors still beckons. Cooped up inside with the air conditioner blowing feels far too unnatural, and the thick air beyond calls my name. I love warm weather. I adore the spring.

But not like this. No, not like this. Not this cruel seasonal farce. Not robins hopping around upon dead grass beneath bare branches. Not shadows growing long at noon. Not watching buds germinate along dead branches only to be killed off by next week’s frost. Not heat that makes you shed your Santa hat. I love summer, but I want to earn it.

The barbecues and outdoor concerts and fresh invasion of life into the world that accompany summer are what makes life worth living, but they haul with them blast-furnace weeks that send you scurring for cover during the workday and hoards of insects that bite and nip and gnaw and pester. More importantly, the warm months are so wonderful precisely because they're fleeting. Christmas would lose all meaning were it held once a week, and by the time August roles around the splendid, endless sunsets and barefoot walks on fresh grass have been diluted by months of the same. It needs to be stolen from us by the onset of autumn so that we can miss it. So that we may yearn for it. So that six months later we are sent scrambling to the highest peak to shout word of its imminent return. “Call NBC! Call the fire department! Call dad! Spring is on its way!”

How are we to know the excitement of reacquainting ourselves with an old friend if he never left in the first place?

killer_queen
12-14-2006, 05:27 PM
Unlike you I hate warm weathers and I hate summer. However I just love spring. Not just love, spring makes me feel alive. It's the only time of the year that makes me all happy.

Spring is the forerunner of summer which makes me depressed. And spring means end of the winter. End of the cold weather, scarves, boots, snowball fights, my favourite season. In this case I must be sad, right? Well, I'm not. I never am. It's spring and it makes me "Oh yay! Sunshine! Stork! Roses! Butterflies!". There's somehting about spring that I can't tell. It's just.. every year I feel like I'm having a spring for the first time.

But I don't agree, it would be great if we had spring for all year. Its beauty has nothing to do with it being fleeting. Spring is beautiful because... just because.

Lizardus
12-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Fear not! Spring is but months away.

Isolated Fury
12-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Spring is too gross for me to consider it a favorite. Everything's coming back to life, sure. But most of spring is spent melting snow and absorbing it from the muddy messes it leaves. My favorites, in order, are summer, fall, spring, and winter.

Paint_It_Black
12-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Oddly enough, I seem to be in complete agreement with Gulsah on this one.

Llamas
12-14-2006, 08:10 PM
I loooove winter. This winter has sucked ass, though. It's mid december, and we have had NO SNOW. It's been above 30, even above 40! the past few days... I don't even think it's been below 0 yet. :-/ It's nothing but global warming and I hate it. One thing I love about Minnesota is the extreme temperature. And we're losing it. It's pure bullshit, and it depresses me that we've fucked up the world so much that we're destroying the weather. *sigh*.

All About Eve
12-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Fury preaches the truth.

Isolated Fury
12-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Amen, brother.

/hulkamania

Sin Studly
12-14-2006, 08:52 PM
It hit 42 degrees barely a week into December, and already half my country was on fire. They still haven't put the fires out. Needless to say, I prefer winter. Fuck summer. And fuck Spring too. Spring is just the first sign that three months of suffering are coming.

calichix
12-14-2006, 09:16 PM
I like winter when it's nice and foggy and the waves are gigantic and it feels like I'm living in a pirate ghost town with foghorns and lighthouses and shipwrecked dingy boats.. I hate winter when it's just cold enough to be a drag, but not cold enough to snow or require cool winter attire. It's just grey and bummersville. I completely agree with Gulsah about spring. It's so pleasant in every way.

Lizardus
12-14-2006, 09:40 PM
Your town sounds interesting.

Mota would love to live here, it's fucking hot even now.

Little_Miss_1565
12-14-2006, 10:16 PM
I love this weather. Cool enough not to break a sweat on the walk home, all you need is a sweater or a warm hoodie, or both. Summer is balls. Spring sucks only because it means summer is coming. Fall is best. Fall in winter, even better.

the_GoDdEsS
12-15-2006, 08:13 AM
I'm not really a fan of extremes. Summer is definitely not my favourite season because I can't stand the heat. And when warm weather has been dragging itself over into December for too long, I feel something is wrong. It's not normal. I miss snow and snowy landscapes, mountains, that crazy winter air, sitting behind the window watching the snowflakes and drinking something warm. This is just sad when the sky is full of ugly clouds, the ground is dead, without life or anything to make it prettier.

Dirty Magician
12-15-2006, 08:24 AM
Where I live, the weather has gotten to about ten degress, but still hasn't snowed yet.

My favorite season is Spring. For some reason, everyone seems to be happier around that time. It's also not too cold that you have to wear a coat, but not too hot that you'd be sweating your face off. It's also when school kinda starts wrapping up and we do more fun and interesting things.

My favorite season changes constantly, though. I gets it depends what mood I'm in.

Tired_Of_You
12-15-2006, 10:58 AM
At the moment, the weather sucks here. The snow is almost all gone and it's raining all the time. It actually feels as if it was the end of October instead of mid December. Christmas without snow is not Christmas. Just to think that last year we had a foot of snow at this time of the year...grr.

Anyway, I like winter when it's not too cold and when it doesn't last during 5 months, which unfortunately is what happen here. Besides that, I do really like December and January when THERE IS snow. I like summer, but I'd prefer it if it was not so humid here. I also like fall, but I don't like spring. Puddles and dogs' poo don't interest me.

There's a joke I heard once... "The 4 seasons in Canada : Summer, Almost Winter, Winter, Sill Winter." So true.

JohnnyNemesis
12-15-2006, 11:00 AM
I despise summer. DESPISE it. Fucking hell. The only good thing about it is all them girls wearin' flip flops and tank tops.

XYlophonetreeZ
12-15-2006, 11:14 AM
We tend to have really late winters 'round these parts. March is usually a colder month than December. But in January and February, it can get super-cold at night. The other thing is that we never get snow. We get sleet and freezing rain and everything turns into an icy hell. The only thing I used to like about winter here was that North Carolina, even more so than other Southern states, is famous for being total wusses when it comes to canceling school. It wasn't uncommon to get a day off for an inch of snow/ice, and the one time when we did have about a foot of snow, when I was in 8th grade, I got a whole week off. The city ran out of salt for the roads and had to have more shipped in from Wilmington. Good times.

Other than that, I hate winter. I'm a total warm weather nut. Ideally I'd like about 10 and a half months of total and complete summer and one and a half months of late fall/early winter. When it's still getting up to 80 in October, which it does, that's just getting out of hand and I actually reach a stage where I crave some cooler weather. That never lasts long.

FUCK this "Spring" shit. Bitch teases you with 65-degree weather and has me alternating between shorts and jeans on a daily basis. I want my warm weather straight-up, dammit!

Tired_Of_You
12-15-2006, 11:24 AM
I wish my college would close for an inch of snow, but classes are never cancelled. I had to go to college for an exam last year, even though we got a foot of snow. Sometimes I wish I was still in high school, because at least we sometimes - even if it was so rare - missed school because of snow. I remember that my school had closed during two weeks in 1998, because of the ice storm. Anyone remember that ice storm? That was crazy. No power for over like three months in some places.