PDA

View Full Version : Song That Best Represents The Offspring

adombomb222
12-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Americana might not be the best, but it's certainly the best album to represent The Offspring. To me, it summarizes their entire career in one album, which I think is quite an achievement.

What is the best song that represents The Offspring?

Venom Symbiote
12-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Fuck off. Americana might be definitive of "The Offspring" in the public consciousness, but not a good representation of their sound over the years.

As for song, "Change The World". Without a doubt. It has elements that would seem to fit at least partially on any Offspring disc except Self-Titled. That song is "the mid-Offspring years" personified, but even feels at home with the material they're putting out now.

0r4ng3
12-14-2006, 05:16 PM
I'm pretty sure Americana does represent The Offspring's career. It has it all. Good poppy songs (Pretty Fly), bad poppy songs (She's Got Issues), good fast punk songs (Staring at the Sun, Have You Ever), bad fast punk songs (Feelings), and a couple of mid-tempo ones, too (The Kids Aren't Alright). Even the subject matter on Americana represents them, too. They have a mix of satirical humor and serious social commentary.

I agree with Change the World, though. Another good one is Staring at the Sun.

Sinister
12-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Fuck. Don't tell me you typed everything up. *bangs head on wall*.

Venom Symbiote
12-14-2006, 05:19 PM
"Staring At The Sun" has a very post-Ixnay feel about it though. Doesn't really mesh with their older work too well. "Change The World" evokes everything from Smash to Conspiracy. Even a little Ignition in the drumwork I guess. Vocally = new, guitar work = mid-career, theme = mid career, but also with the patented Jerden polished sound.

It wins out.

adombomb222
12-14-2006, 05:20 PM
Fuck. Don't tell me you typed everything up. *bangs head on wall*.

No I took all the song titles off the website and copy and pasted. It took a long time.

adombomb222
12-14-2006, 05:34 PM
I can’t decide between All I Want, Amazed, The Noose or Never Gonna Find me.

Jakebert
12-14-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm doing both song and album for mine, just because I'm bored.

Album: Ixnay on the Hombre.

A lot of variety in it that has a lot of unique elements to it that would come into play on later albums, or had already been key parts on the early albums. Smartass social commentary, with a few poorly-worded emotional songs, and a couple of novelty songs, sums the band's career up lyrically as well. The one album that fans of the bands later direction and early direction can agree on.

Song: Toss up between Change the World and Meaning of Life.

While Change the World does a great job at melding a lot of the band's signatures into one all-incompasing song, Meaning of Life is exactly what a typical Offspring song should sound like. Fast, energetic, with cynical lyrics, and a well-written melody.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
12-14-2006, 09:56 PM
Change The World is a good one as previously said, also The Noose (to me, anyway...) seems to represent The Offspring a lot.

spidey255
12-14-2006, 10:15 PM
any reason why the songs from ignition were left off?

Venom Symbiote
12-14-2006, 11:12 PM
also The Noose (to me, anyway...) seems to represent The Offspring a lot.

You mean "represents Jade Puget with Dexter doing a Davey impersonation".

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
12-14-2006, 11:21 PM
Well, not really, because AFI are emo fags. ;)

DexterWannabe
12-15-2006, 12:08 AM
Self Esteem!

K1llboy Powerhead
12-15-2006, 12:09 AM
Million Miles Away!

Biggest offspring fan
12-15-2006, 02:45 AM
It's to hard to decide but right now it is smash.

bhg_rulz2
12-15-2006, 04:03 AM
i chose "have you Ever".....one of the best lyrics i have ever heard

FOXMAN
12-15-2006, 04:11 AM
I'd say "Have you ever" or "Self esteem" (I voted the first one).

Call it an Obsession
12-15-2006, 06:18 AM
Nowadays, Pretty Fly basically represents The Offspring as its just one of those songs that everyone knows. When some guy thinks of The Offspring, they will think of Guy in the video and "uh-huh uh-huh".

Grabbal
12-15-2006, 09:27 AM
"Self esteem" for me

German Andres
12-15-2006, 09:48 AM
Pretty fly, because everyone knows it, same as Original Prankster.
Not their bests songs, though.

Forza
12-15-2006, 10:30 AM
The Kids Aren't Alright imo. The Offspring is all about the wohows.

MaF
12-15-2006, 11:21 AM
The Kids Aren't Alright imo. The Offspring is all about the wohows.

if U mean whoas than i refresh my memory bout dat NOFX song bout near the offspring :D

...we hate whoa's
we prefer ahhhhh's and nananana's
of course, yeah, yeah, yeah's are alright
between AFI and The Offspring
i don't think we need anymore else to sing anymore whoa's
we hate whoa's
we're against whoa's...e.t.c.

Don't know it's hard choice, but as 4 me i voted 4 Blackball :confused:

JohnnyNemesis
12-15-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm pretty sure Americana does represent The Offspring's career. It has it all. Good poppy songs (Pretty Fly), bad poppy songs (She's Got Issues), good fast punk songs (Staring at the Sun, Have You Ever), bad fast punk songs (Feelings), and a couple of mid-tempo ones, too (The Kids Aren't Alright). Even the subject matter on Americana represents them, too. They have a mix of satirical humor and serious social commentary.

This is true, even though it's by far my least favorite album.

Dirty Magician
12-15-2006, 11:25 AM
I would also say "Blackball". I think it pretty much describes and sounds like what The Offspring is all about.

Bad Habit
12-15-2006, 11:37 AM
I would vote for burn it up... but for some reason there isnt ignition on the list

adombomb222
12-15-2006, 03:48 PM
any reason why the songs from ignition were left off?

I would vote for burn it up... but for some reason there isnt ignition on the list

I have no idea why or how I forgot, i must have skipped over it. I'm sorry, is there any way to change the poll? Does anyone know how?

Ninty Man
12-15-2006, 06:43 PM
All I want... thread must be closed after this post

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
12-15-2006, 07:37 PM
6 votes so far for Self Esteem... Somebody tell me why would you even think this song defines the Offspring...

Thomas
12-15-2006, 10:33 PM
I voted Meaning of Life. That song could easily fit into any one of their albums and they never cease to have at least one or two fast, melodic, and energetic songs on every album. It's one of my favorites by The Offspring and I've always considered it the definitive Offspring song.

ZagmenO
12-17-2006, 08:16 AM
kids Aren't Alright!!!!!!! Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

Camilamazed
12-17-2006, 10:49 AM
As a fan I'd say Smash. But Pretty Fly and TKAA must be the songs that represents the band. Even people that don't know much or are not into the band know these songs.

:)

Zack
12-17-2006, 01:28 PM
One fine day has got to be it because that song is all about partying with your friends and have a good time being stupid

Venezuelan_Nightmare
12-18-2006, 05:57 PM
maybe a little late, but i guess americana have just the tittle for representing the offspring but the lyrics.. i dunno, but i could say that for all the offspring years, just ( not for the lyrics, is just for how many peoples liked this song) and if self Steem.. very nice son that remind me all the offspring years... ( im afan since very time ago)

adombomb222
12-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Ok, lets talk about Americana for a second; I do not believe that this is the best song to represent the Offspring. It is in fact my favorite song, and I believe it is also one of the best sounding songs, with excellent lyrics back it up. This song I think represents the understanding of the world that they had while writing Americana, the album. The entire album is based around this song is one way or another. For incenses, Americana has a line, “Now give me my cable, fast food, four-by’s, tat’s right away / I want it right now cause my generation don’t like to wait” and then you look at the song No Breaks, which also talks about this generation’s fast-pase life style. Also Staring At The Sun, another song I love, is instermental in this album, it’s philosophy behind the Americana project. In contrast with Americana (the song) I believe the certical lines in it are, “Where culture’s defined by the/ Ones least refined/ And you’ll be left behind/ If you don’t fit in” and , “My futures determined by/ Thieves, thugs, and vermin/ It’s quite an excursion.” As in Staring At The Sun the lines are, “Maybe life is like a ride on a freeway/ Dodging bullets while you‘re trying to find your way/ Everyone‘s around, but no one does a damn thing” and “When I ran I didn‘t feel like a runaway/When I escaped I didn‘t feel like I got away/ There‘s more to living than only surviving.” The connection between the two are the last few lines I posted for each. Staring At The Sun, talks about runing away from [Americana] and eve when it seems like you away from it you’re not. As Americana says, that our fuuture is deterimened by thieves and thugs, where culture is defined by it’s youth, where there are strip malls are on every other conor. I don’t think Americana is a medaphor for what is going on in the world right now, I believe its more of a philosophy about how life is working and playing out right now. The album is based around this, everysong can be conoceted to Americana the song and that philosophy or idea.

adombomb222
12-27-2006, 08:00 PM
All that work for 33 post and 52 voters? That's bullshit.

MOTO13
12-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Good thread. I RARELY post here, but I occasionally read the threads and some of the ridiculous replys and just laugh to myself. Some of you people are just...well, why all the swearing? The average age here has to be well below 15. Sorry, just a rant.

RageAndLov
12-28-2006, 04:36 PM
i think "can't repeat" because thats how dexter and/or the offspring feels now (well actually last year but whatever), unlikley songs they wrote 10 years ago! f.x. the song "not the one" "We‘re not the ones who made the nuclear bombs that threaten our lives" maybe they don't feel like that TODAY anymore?

Grabbal
12-28-2006, 06:41 PM
i think "can't repeat" because thats how dexter and/or the offspring feels now (well actually last year but whatever), unlikley songs they wrote 10 years ago! f.x. the song "not the one" "We‘re not the ones who made the nuclear bombs that threaten our lives" maybe they don't feel like that TODAY anymore?

yeah, and I see you're from Norway..
Not many of us here on the board..