PDA

View Full Version : Textbook rape-age

StayInTheHouseCarl
12-14-2006, 09:58 PM
A wide-spread problem all college folk are victims of...

When you go spend hundreds of dollars on books at the beginning of a semester...

... and at the end of the semester try to sell books back, to only recieve back a pathetic fraction of what you originally paid.

I spent about 500 bucks on books for six classes, and today they only bought one book back, and i got a lame 40 bucks for it.

The worst part is when publishers put out "new" editions, so the bookstores wont buy the books back. The "new" editions are actually pretty much the same as before, with super tiny changes here and there.

*sigh* ... Now after this rant I feel a little better. Thanks for indulging me.

Rag Doll
12-14-2006, 10:01 PM
you got $40 back for a book?! one book?! CAN I SELL MY BOOKS BACK AT YOUR SCHOOL?!

i do not know anyone at my school that has ever received more than $15 back, no matter how new or expensive the book.

bd007h
12-14-2006, 10:07 PM
I hate it when I buy a book for a class for like $90, open it up only once or twice, then when I go to sell it back, they won't take it because they switched to a new edition

T-6005
12-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Nearly a thousand dollars spent here total. $20 received because they only accepted a few of the books.

StayInTheHouseCarl
12-14-2006, 10:21 PM
isn't it disgusting? I admit I was surprised about getting 40 back for one book, its usually 20 bucks for used, but the ratio of money spent to money returned is bullshit.

On top of rising tuition!

Venom Symbiote
12-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Just don't buy the textbook.

Works for me. Most of them are "recommended" anyway, fuck 'em.

Endymion
12-14-2006, 10:50 PM
so don't buy a text book unless it's something you'd like to keep.

Isolated Fury
12-14-2006, 11:12 PM
Agreed.

I've grown accustomed to buying only what I need or know I will want for future use.

Paint_It_Black
12-15-2006, 12:05 AM
Sometimes you just have to buy it, whether you want it or not. The system is, as always, a bitch.

wheelchairman
12-15-2006, 02:26 AM
I bought my books on Amazon and only spent around 200 dollars. If I had bought them from the University bookstore I would have easily paid 400-600 dollars. Which is outrageous.

Oxygene
12-15-2006, 02:48 AM
so um.. the logical question that comes to mind, is why don't you buy it from students trying to sell it for $15? :cool:

wheelchairman
12-15-2006, 03:01 AM
Because there weren't that many selling. I'm taking an international course. All our books are in English (and only English), and a good 70% of the students are not from this country. Not to mention that there are simply less students than the non-international course by a great deal.

So that wasn't unfortunately an option at the time. I think I bought all my books used on amazon though.

Llamas
12-15-2006, 03:03 AM
First of all, you can't always buy people's books. New editions come out it seems yearly... I've had a lot of texts in the past that were courseguides where you have to tear out pages to hand in, so they can't be reused... and sometimes classes change books between semesters.

This was discussed here before... but the reason textbooks are so expensive is because they have such a small buying population. They cost as much to make as one you'd find at Barnes and Noble, but so few people are going to buy them... so they have to increase prices. This is also why books written by your own professors cost even more, because your school is the only buying population. It sucks, but it makes sense.

the_GoDdEsS
12-15-2006, 03:26 AM
My heart was always bleeding when I had to buy an expensive book, knowing I'd only need it for half a year. We needed lots of English and German books. Heaps expensive too, most of the time you had to even order them, but we usually just borrowed them from the library and made copies. Copyright or not, everybody is forced to do it. Also, I hated used books. Copies were great because I could scribble my notes in them and underline without feeling I'm destroying the book.

Italia311
12-15-2006, 06:08 AM
I've sold my books back, some of them for 65-70 a peice...not bad...

My classes have been alot of "courseware" lately. A 115 dollar book comprised of dry and lame readings. Purely readings.

Mota Boy
12-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Freshman year I bought a Calculus book before realizing that I hated Calculus and dropping the course. I'd only broken the plastic on the seal, but I had to sell a $160 book back to them for eighteen bucks (they would then resell it for about fifty). I've never been so pissed in my life. I stole more than enough books from them to make up the difference and never resold another book out of sheer spite.

Llamas
12-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Freshman year I bought a Calculus book before realizing that I hated Calculus and dropping the course. I'd only broken the plastic on the seal, but I had to sell a $160 book back to them for eighteen bucks (they would then resell it for about fifty). I've never been so pissed in my life. I stole more than enough books from them to make up the difference and never resold another book out of sheer spite.

I bought a calc book, as well. I opened the seal of the book, then tried taking calc, then realized I should take pre-calc first. Then I tried taking calc again, and dropped it because I was too busy. Then I tried a third time and decided to change my major.

I never even came close to finishing the course that I spent $150 on a book I never even used at all... and by the time I decided to change my major, they had a new edition of the book out. I couldn't sell it back, so I threw it in the garbage.

the_offsprings_monkey
12-15-2006, 07:04 PM
You actually have to pay for your books?! At my last College and my current 6th form most learning materials are provided free of charge, most I ever have had to pay for a book is about £2.

Llamas
12-15-2006, 07:09 PM
You actually have to pay for your books?! At my last College and my current 6th form most learning materials are provided free of charge, most I ever have had to pay for a book is about £2.
College in England is different than elsewhere. Your college is like our highschool, in which we don't have to pay for books. We're talking about in University.

the_offsprings_monkey
12-15-2006, 07:15 PM
College in England is different than elsewhere. Your college is like our highschool, in which we don't have to pay for books. We're talking about in University.

College much like University is optional, whereas High School is compulsory. So no, they are not that alike.

Llamas
12-15-2006, 07:18 PM
College much like University is optional, whereas High School is compulsory. So no, they are not that alike.

The things you learn and the level you learn at in English college is basically the same as what is learned the last two years of highschool here. Also, highschool here is only required until you are 16 AKA the end of your second year. Your third and fourth year, it's completely legal to drop out even without the permission of your parents.

When you go onto University in England, that's the same as what we call "college".

the_offsprings_monkey
12-15-2006, 07:19 PM
The things you learn and the level you learn at in English college is basically the same as what is learned the last two years of highschool here. Also, highschool here is only required until you are 16 AKA the end of your second year. Your third and fourth year, it's completely legal to drop out even without the permission of your parents.

When you go onto University in England, that's the same as what we call "college".

Ahh I see. Sorry then, my knowledge on America isn't at it's best.

Llamas
12-15-2006, 07:21 PM
It's cool. I wouldn't expect it to be, which is why I explained.

Paint_It_Black
12-15-2006, 08:00 PM
The things you learn and the level you learn at in English college is basically the same as what is learned the last two years of highschool here.

Really? I don't agree. From talking with my numerous American friends it just didn't seem that way.

Actually, they've taken a lot of shit in college that's still far simpler than what I did in my couple of years in english college.

Mota Boy
12-15-2006, 08:34 PM
You know, every time I read the title of the thread, part of me thinks you're inquiring about the age of consent in cases of rape, according to textbooks on the matter.

Rag Doll
12-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Really? I don't agree. From talking with my numerous American friends it just didn't seem that way.

Actually, they've taken a lot of shit in college that's still far simpler than what I did in my couple of years in english college.

i think it depends on the school. my high school was more difficult than the university i'm in, i think. but some people from other high schools are like "omg, this school is so harrrrd".

Paint_It_Black
12-15-2006, 09:51 PM
You know, every time I read the title of the thread, part of me thinks you're inquiring about the age of consent in cases of rape, according to textbooks on the matter.

Me too, and I was curious whether anyone would mention it.

Sam, you're probably right.

StayInTheHouseCarl
12-15-2006, 11:20 PM

you take me for more of a weirdo than what i really am.:D

Venom Symbiote
12-15-2006, 11:47 PM
Americans, god bless them in every other respect, are fucking retarded for calling University "college".

That just confuses things. A university is a university, other post-highschool (yet non-university) tertiary education places are "colleges".

Silly Yankees.

Llamas
12-15-2006, 11:50 PM
Americans, god bless them in every other respect, are fucking retarded for calling University "college".

That just confuses things. A university is a university, other post-highschool (yet non-university) tertiary education places are "colleges".

Silly Yankees.

It doesn't make us retarded. It's called "dialect". I suppose we should be terribly sorry for the fact that languages have differences in various areas. Australians have a slew of fucked up terms that nobody else in the world knows what the fuck they're talking about.

Paint_It_Black
12-15-2006, 11:54 PM
Ladies, ladies, can't we just agree that both your countries are retarded?

Llamas
12-15-2006, 11:55 PM
And you live in one of them, retard. :)

Paint_It_Black
12-15-2006, 11:58 PM
Yeah, it's fun to stroll through the loony bin from time to time.

Llamas
12-15-2006, 11:59 PM
Yeah but you live in Kansas. There's no such thing as non-looney bin there.

Paint_It_Black
12-16-2006, 12:01 AM
That's not exactly news though. You're talking about the home of Fred Phelps.

Llamas
12-16-2006, 12:03 AM
Jeffry Dahmer did all his murders and stored all his bodies in an apartment complex about 5-10 minutes from the house I lived in before college. Creepy much?

Paint_It_Black
12-16-2006, 12:06 AM
Yes, it is quite creepy that you randomly brought that up.

Llamas
12-16-2006, 12:09 AM
looney bin people living in our midst. I don't know who Fred Phelps is, but Dahmer was the first thing I thought of.

Actually, I'm just really creepy.

Mota Boy
12-16-2006, 03:54 AM

Actually, it's much the same here. Although the two words have become somewhat synonymous in the popular lexicon, a "college" refers to a four-year undergraduate institution, while a "university" refers to the same institution that also offers post-graduate studies, usually in the form of law or medical schools. So you could rightly say "I attended college at Harvard University".

Llamas
12-16-2006, 04:11 AM
Actually, it's much the same here. Although the two words have become somewhat synonymous in the popular lexicon, a "college" refers to a four-year undergraduate institution, while a "university" refers to the same institution that also offers post-graduate studies, usually in the form of law or medical schools. So you could rightly say "I attended college at Harvard University".

"college" also refers to a 2 year technical school. Really, all "college" means in the US is that it's some sort of institute of higher learning above highschool. Also, many Universities are split into many colleges. My university has 12 colleges, I believe. University, you're right about. It's a 4 year undergraduate higher learning facility that also has graduate school offered.

Duskygrin
12-16-2006, 10:12 AM
From what I remember of what we learnt of the USA in past years, they presented "college" as a 2-year uni course, distinct from uni itself. I think I do not recall everything, otherwise that'd be a pretty inaccurate description. Our own "collège" though, is what you'd call "junior high-school", I believe.

As for books, they are expensive here too, but you can get them second-hand from former students at a roughly halved price, which is quite a relief.

JoY
12-17-2006, 04:08 AM
textbook rape-age.. rape.. age...

I so thought this would be about something totally different.

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-17-2006, 09:22 AM
I dunno if this has been mentioned already, but did anyone else read the title as "textbook rape age"?

JohnnyNemesis
12-17-2006, 09:24 AM
YA RLY

I approve.

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-17-2006, 09:28 AM
I'll be quiet now, then.

JoY
12-17-2006, 09:33 AM
everyone stop making fun of me!

the other day a friend of mine kept making fun of my uberblondeness untill I slapped him in the face, except I hit his ear & he heard a beep all day for the rest of the day & kept whining he already was crippled by his broken leg & now we're on speaking-, but still with a slight tone of hostility-terms.

just to show you how much out of hand these things can get.

JohnnyNemesis
12-17-2006, 09:34 AM
I'll be quiet now, then.

You can always use your mouth for more productive endeavors *vulgar crotch grab* ;)

Oh, and the most I've ever received for a book from the college bookstore is 25 bucks. It was for a damn near complete collection of Shakespeare's works, which is highly valued but something I could wipe my ass with, I care so little about the fucker.

JoY
12-17-2006, 09:43 AM
I feel ignored. *folds arms*

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-17-2006, 10:19 AM
everyone stop making fun of me!

the other day a friend of mine kept making fun of my uberblondeness untill I slapped him in the face, except I hit his ear & he heard a beep all day for the rest of the day & kept whining he already was crippled by his broken leg & now we're on speaking-, but still with a slight tone of hostility-terms.

just to show you how much out of hand these things can get.

That's quite an interesting story you told there, Bella!

Please, tell us another?

;)