PDA

View Full Version : Carlo Rossi

T-6005
12-14-2006, 11:15 PM
It's from California.

I love it. My parents love it. It's cheap and it's a little too sweetened and not the greatest wine, but the rose is quite enjoyable for some strange undefineable reason. The white was good last year but took a turn downhill over the summer somehow.

I don't drink copious amounts of red due to the unbearable pain it leads to.

Venom Symbiote
12-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Red wine rawkz.

White gives me a huge fit of asthma, making the experience considerably less enjoyable. With not being able to breathe and all.

Rag Doll
12-14-2006, 11:19 PM
After working in a wine store, I can never ever ever drink carlo rossi or any other boxed/jug wine. And watching people drink it makes me sad for so many reasons. =\

T-6005
12-15-2006, 12:53 AM
Being French and being raised with the snobby disregard for all that it entails, it almost pains me to drink it. But it's sweetened just the right amount for a fun wine without being overly tasteful or serious.

EDIT - The ability to not take what you're drinking seriously is kind of a liberation from the cultural disapproval I'd go through talking to my parents or extended family about it. Australian wines have made it into the mainstream of what France considers decent, as well as Chilean wines - Californian wines have not.

And not enough to be considered a total loss, it's fun to drink, although I would never throw an upper-class bash with the stuff.

Then again, I could never afford an upper-class bash.

Paint_It_Black
12-15-2006, 01:07 AM
I've heard it's good for the price. I may have had it once, I don't know, I'm way too fucking common to pay much attention to what I drink.

T-6005
12-15-2006, 01:08 AM
Used to be a better price, around $11 CDN for a 1.5L and actually a better price in Malaysia, but now it's something like $13.50. Whatever.

Paint_It_Black
12-15-2006, 01:13 AM
I find it so endearing that you can compare international alcohol prices off the top of your head. Seriously.

the_GoDdEsS
12-15-2006, 05:24 AM
I love dry red wine, but sweet (especially too sweet) is overly disgusting. So I'd probably hate it. It sounds familiar so I might have seen it around here. Oh and I've tried some dry wine from California (Rocky something Cabernet Sauvignon) a few weeks ago. It tasted like water. :/ Never again.

HeadAroundU
12-15-2006, 06:03 AM
Crno vino from Croatia is the shit for the real man. That's like 99% alcohol.

the_GoDdEsS
12-15-2006, 06:06 AM
Lolz, hrvati. It's not sweet, is it? In Croatia only?

Rag Doll
12-15-2006, 06:08 AM
with the whole class thing...

it's not even so much that it's crap that bothers me. it's also that i see people come in and buy a 4L bottle of it every single day...cranky old alkies that bang down the door before we open, yelling that they need their carlo rossi. makes me worried i'll end up like that =(

Italia311
12-15-2006, 06:44 AM
I usually buy Italian vino only, I do not care too much for Ontario wines...but I thought I would give this Rossi (california) vino a shot. It came in a 3L "jug" and thats what made me really want it, it brought back some good memories. Anywho, I bought it, 3L for $23 I think? Lets just say it wasn't the greatest, but It was good, so good that I finished the 3L in one night.

My recommendation and this one is dear to my heart...Valpolicella - MASI. Ya know what else I like...Yellowtail. Good shit. Some Aussie wine.

sKratch
12-15-2006, 08:33 AM
haha what?! Carlo Rossi is horrendous stuff. The only reason I buy it is it's $10 for 4L. Then again, I've only had the blush.

Duskygrin
12-15-2006, 12:32 PM
Wine is first & foremost a matter of taste, & the French do not tolerate bad taste, that is all.

I have never tasted Carlo Rossi, & I do not think I would ever taste a Californian red wine. All I ever heard about American wines, & Americans themselves have acknowledged that, were nightmare stories about the wine not being genuine 100% wine from the vineyards. They add God knows what for the taste & colour. It makes my blood run cold to even think of it. However, since people actually buy that wine, I would grant you that to some it may have a certain appeal. It takes all kinds to make a world.

I do not appreciate red wine, but rosť or white is okay, my favourite being champagne, with a fruity aftertaste.

wheelchairman
12-15-2006, 12:38 PM
According to 2 taste tests. Oregon Pinot Noir is second only to that of Bourgogne itself.

Would you like to know more? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_wine)