PDA

View Full Version : next to you

Buller
12-15-2006, 06:05 AM
The song "next to you" is really bad. I wonder why they chose to cover it.. By the way what does "lightning rod" mean? Its a great song. Does anyone have a live version of it?

darea
12-15-2006, 06:15 AM
this sounds like a pointless message, and I actually like next to you...

Jojan
12-15-2006, 06:18 AM
They like it and don't give a crap about what their fans like.
Learn to use Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_rod

Hypodermic_89
12-15-2006, 06:27 AM
Next To You is awesome.

Amiralanal
12-15-2006, 06:47 AM
its a fucking åskledare

summer_guy
12-15-2006, 07:05 AM
next u kicks ass

Italia311
12-15-2006, 07:07 AM
It is actually not that great...but it is not bad either. Really, it is just a matter of preference...

Buller
12-15-2006, 07:27 AM
i guess it just dont sound like the offspring at all

Floyd the Barber
12-15-2006, 08:23 AM
I doubt they've played Lightning Rod live.

And Next to You is pretty good.

German Andres
12-15-2006, 10:03 AM
[QUOTE=Jojan;937077]They like it and don't give a crap about what their fans like.[QUOTE]

Good for them. Otherways, they`d be playing commercial music.

Next to You is very good actually. I don`t like the solos that appear as a bridge, they sound too poppy, and they remind me to the beach.
Yesterday I was listening to the radio and I heard a song, called "Violence in the Summer" or something like that, by Duran Duran, I think. The rithm is exactly the same...

StayInTheHouseCarl
12-15-2006, 01:12 PM
if the rhythm is the same, it's no fault of the offspring. it's a cover after all.

if any stealing of rhythm was done, it was duran duran ripping off the police, since "next to you" came out first. more likely though, its just coincidence.

JohnnyNemesis
12-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Next To You is an absolutely horrible song and absolutely horrible cover, in my opinion. I try to pretend it doesn't exist.

Dirty Magician
12-15-2006, 02:47 PM
I've never heard it before, can anybody put up a link to it or something?

Dirty Magician
12-15-2006, 02:52 PM
what's your email address?
i can send it to you

I know it sounds dumb, but I don't want to say, because I heard some people can track you down and stuff. Yeah, it's crasy, I know. But better safe than sorry.

bouncingcoles
12-15-2006, 03:04 PM
i like next to you. and yes of course they chose to cover it.

Dexter_H
12-15-2006, 04:13 PM
I know it sounds dumb, but I don't want to say, because I heard some people can track you down and stuff. Yeah, it's crasy, I know. But better safe than sorry.
lolz .

Llamas
12-15-2006, 05:07 PM
The original "Next to You" is a terrific song. The Offspring's cover is very bland, though.

zacsta
12-16-2006, 12:50 AM
I've never heard it before, can anybody put up a link to it or something?

do you have the greatest hits? its at about 4:24 after spare me the details, or track 15.

Venom Symbiote
12-16-2006, 04:09 AM
Douche douche douche.

Both versions are a-rockin'. Any views to the contrary are simply not worth listening to.

Thomas
12-16-2006, 11:28 PM
It's one of those covers where I think The Offsring did a better job than the original, Totalimmortal, Autonomy, and Smash it Up being others (even though I'm SURE many would disagree).

DeAtHsTaR
12-16-2006, 11:42 PM
do you have the greatest hits? its at about 4:24 after spare me the details, or track 15.

If he lives in USA or Canada, it's 3:15 into track 14.

DeAtHsTaR
12-16-2006, 11:43 PM
The original "Next to You" is a terrific song. The Offspring's cover is very bland, though.

It's the same.

Llamas
12-17-2006, 01:54 AM
It's the same.

...which is exactly what makes it bland. covers aren't good unless they bring something new to the table.

Apathy
12-17-2006, 02:02 AM
I disagree.

But I'm too tired to argue a point that no one will consider anyway. So I'll just leave it at agree to disagree.

Next To You, by the way, is a very odd song. Half the time I love it, and the other half hates it.

Llamas
12-17-2006, 02:03 AM
I disagree.

But I'm too tired to argue a point that no one will consider anyway. So I'll just leave it at agree to disagree.

Next To You, by the way, is a very odd song. Half the time I love it, and the other half hates it.

yes do not argue with me mw when i ben drinking because i wl not nderstand ou!

Camilamazed
12-17-2006, 11:44 AM
I like both versions.

:)

Camilamazed
12-17-2006, 12:02 PM
They like it and don't give a crap about what their fans like.
Learn to use Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_rod

That's not what he's looking for. Here's teh right answer:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lightning%20rod

2. a person or thing that attracts and absorbs powerful and esp. negative or hostile feelings, opinions, etc., thereby diverting such feelings from other targets: The unpopular supervisor served as a lightning rod for the criticism that should have been aimed at management.

(I was also wondering what LR means, I've finally found what I wanted)

:)

Venom Symbiote
12-17-2006, 04:23 PM
covers aren't good unless they bring something new to the table.

So dumb. So so very much of the dumb. Dumb. Dummy dumb dumb.

Llamas
12-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Actually, true. Why cover something if it's going to sound exactly the same as the original? Why would I want to listen to the cover and not the original if it sounds the same?

Venom Symbiote
12-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Because it's by a different band. No cover sounds exactly the same.

You can't tell me "Next To You" didn't have a kind of "Offspring" inflection on it, anyway.

Llamas
12-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Not enough to make me want to listen to it. Every single time that song comes on, I turn it off after like 30 seconds and play the original. The thing is that, when you cover a song, it automatically loses a LOT of the original charm. It's like the law of energy. When it is passed on, a whole lot is automatically lost. You can't do anything about that, because it's not your song, and you're changing something that's classic. Due to all that's lost, it has to be made up for somewhere. If the song is pretty much exactly the same as the original, minus the charm, it ends up in the negative column. Something new has to happen in the cover to make me want to listen to it, when I could just listen to the original with all the charm still in tact.

WebDudette
12-17-2006, 05:40 PM
The Offsprings version of Next to You is hardly diffrent when compared to The Blood Brothers version of Under Pressure. It's a good cover but it isn't all that diffrent that it makes me want to listen to the cover rather then the original.

Made more sense in my head...

Llamas
12-17-2006, 05:43 PM
The Offsprings version of Next to You is hardly diffrent when compared to The Blood Brothers version of Under Pressure. It's a good cover but it isn't all that diffrent that it makes me want to listen to the cover rather then the original.

Made more sense in my head...

It made sense to me. And it's exactly what I was saying. However, I've never heard a cover of Under Pressure that I liked, sadly. I might check out this blood brothers version (though I don't like them... would like to see what they do with a classic). It's just a very hard song to cover to my standards of what the original meant to me.

WebDudette
12-17-2006, 05:48 PM
If you don't like The Blood Brothers you probably won't like the cover, but it is very diffrent from the original and worth checking out. Would you like me to upload it?

Apathy
12-17-2006, 06:09 PM
You also have to realize that many times people will not have even heard the original. With nothing to compare it to, the song can get much better/much worse depending on the artist.

I'd agree with you that most covers are at least interesting when done in different ways from the original.
A good example of this is (don't hate me for this) Alien Ant Farm's Smooth Criminal. It's different from the original, almost makes it a new song.
Or Big D's cover of Little Bitch. The song takes an interesting turn in the fact that they use their horn section in replace of the synth.

Llamas
12-17-2006, 06:12 PM
We were discussing our own perception of covers, though, not people who haven't heard the original. And venom has most definitely heard the original of Next To You.

AAF's version of smooth criminal was nice. vanessa carlton's version of "paint it black" is also awesomeness.

Apathy
12-17-2006, 06:16 PM
I knew what you were discussing. My statement wasn't really aimed at anyone, it was just a little insight on the topic as a whole.

There are at least three hundred covers of Paint It Black. My favorite version ever I heard in a video game called Twisted Metal. Unfortunately, I have not been able to track down an mp3 of this.

But yeah, Im embarrassed to say that I enjoy Smooth Criminal.

Llamas
12-17-2006, 06:20 PM
I knew what you were discussing. My statement wasn't really aimed at anyone, it was just a little insight on the topic as a whole.
Didn't really have anything to do with what we were talking about, though. :-/

There are at least three hundred covers of Paint It Black. My favorite version ever I heard in a video game called Twisted Metal. Unfortunately, I have not been able to track down an mp3 of this. I forget who that one is done by. I've heard atleast 4 covers of it, plus the original. Vanessa's is the only cover I like. U2's sucks, I don't like the one in TM... and I forget the other one.

But yeah, Im embarrassed to say that I enjoy Smooth Criminal.
Why? It's a good song.

Apathy
12-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Didn't really have anything to do with what we were talking about, though. :-/

Sure it did. You said that a good cover was a cover that brings something new to the table. I then said that many times people haven't even heard the original. So they wouldn't even know if the band did something new with the song, and thus wouldn't care.

I forget who that one is done by. I've heard atleast 4 covers of it, plus the original. Vanessa's is the only cover I like. U2's sucks, I don't like the one in TM... and I forget the other one.

Yeah, I dislike all of those except the TM one.

Why? It's a good song
because AAF are a terrible band.

Llamas
12-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Sure it did. You said that a good cover was a cover that brings something new to the table. I then said that many times people haven't even heard the original. So they wouldn't even know if the band did something new with the song, and thus wouldn't care.
Which would make it a good song and not a good cover, if the people haven't heard the original.

Yeah, I dislike all of those except the TM one.
Vanessa did a lot with the song, though, and made it something new. I think she did a great job.

because AAF are a terrible band.
They're very mediocre... not terrible... but the song itself is good, so it's not embarassing to like it.

Apathy
12-17-2006, 08:06 PM
1. Your logic doesn't make sense. Song is still a cover, weather they realize it or not.

2. I disagree

3. See No. 2

Llamas
12-17-2006, 08:21 PM
1. Your logic doesn't make sense. Song is still a cover, weather they realize it or not.
Right, but to say something is a good cover means that one needs something to compare it to. "I really enjoy this version of the song" doesn't work if you haven't heard the original. In that case, you would just say, "I like this song".

2. I disagree
Though you're probably saying that from the fact that you don't like Vanessa Carlton, and not basing it objectively on what she did with the song. But whatev.

3. See No. 2
You don't at all think that "Smooth Criminal" is a good song? Then why, when I asked why you're embarassed, you said it was because AAF is bad, and not because the song is bad?

Venom Symbiote
12-17-2006, 09:43 PM
I love that Alien Ant Farm album.

*hides in a bunker somewhere*

But yeah, I'm serious. It's rad. Then again, Michael Jackson's music kicks ass anyway, so yeah. No surprise that "Smooth Criminal" is a highlight of that disc.

Apathy
12-17-2006, 11:55 PM
Right, but to say something is a good cover means that one needs something to compare it to. "I really enjoy this version of the song" doesn't work if you haven't heard the original. In that case, you would just say, "I like this song".

Though you're probably saying that from the fact that you don't like Vanessa Carlton, and not basing it objectively on what she did with the song. But whatev.

You don't at all think that "Smooth Criminal" is a good song? Then why, when I asked why you're embarassed, you said it was because AAF is bad, and not because the song is bad?

1. I really don't understand what you're saying. Well I do, but it just feels like I already responded to that. So lets just drop it.

2. Nah. I've heard the song before when I was looking for the TM version. I hated it, bored me half to death. I don't even remember anything different about it from the original other than the fact that Carlton's horrendus voice is splattered throughout the track

3. I think Smooth Criminal is a fine song. I was disagreeing with the part where you said AAF was mediocre. That's just giving them too much credit in my opinion. They are a one-hit wonder, and their "one-hit" is a song that they didn't write and just got lucky because they were a little innovative and sped the song up.

Llamas
12-18-2006, 12:10 AM
2. Nah. I've heard the song before when I was looking for the TM version. I hated it, bored me half to death. I don't even remember anything different about it from the original other than the fact that Carlton's horrendus voice is splattered throughout the track
Do you like any female singers? What is "horrendous" about her voice?

Also... I was just thinking... isn't the only version of "Paint it Black" during the end credits of "Twisted Metal Black"? Because that IS the rolling stones version...

Vanessa's version has a completely different introduction... the instrumentation is different... it has an echoey/eerie sound to it, moreso than the original. The music drops to near silence during the verses... it's VERY, VERY different. It really just sounds like you dislike vanessa for masculinity reasons, because her voice is far from horrendous, and the cover is amazingly different from the original.

3. I think Smooth Criminal is a fine song. I was disagreeing with the part where you said AAF was mediocre. That's just giving them too much credit in my opinion. They are a one-hit wonder, and their "one-hit" is a song that they didn't write and just got lucky because they were a little innovative and sped the song up.
Terrible bands suck at playing their instruments and write the same song over and over because they can't do anything else. The guy can sing well, they're decent at their instruments, their lyrics are average... decent/mediocre band.

Oh, and they had two hits, three if you listen to the radio.