PDA

View Full Version : urlmon.dll problem, urgent!

Tizzalicious
12-17-2006, 01:57 AM
I would just post this in the computer problems thread, but I am afraid it will get unnoticed, and it's kinda urgent.

My PC suddenly restarted itself earlier today, and now it won't start up anymore. I get the windows screen, and then this message (or something like it, my PC is in Dutch, so I had to translate)

"Stop: C0000221 (invalid check sum copy)

Copy urlmon.dll is possibly damaged. The checksum of the header does not correspond with the calculated checksum"

I really hope this made sense. I did some searching online, but all I could find were things where you need to download something, and install it again, which obviously doesn't work if your computer doesn't start.

Anyone who can help? Pleeeease?

wheelchairman
12-17-2006, 03:00 AM
Maybe drunk Bri will help you!

Tizzalicious
12-17-2006, 07:51 AM
No one? :(

I made a mistake in the error too, I'll edit that.

Nina
12-17-2006, 09:49 AM
I wish I could help ;(

The Talking Pie
12-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Boot into ERD Commander and do a system restore?

Tizzalicious
12-17-2006, 10:01 AM
What's ERD commandor?

Does that mean everything will be gone? We were thinking about doing that, but we wanted to see if we could do something that didn't mean a wiped harddrive first =/

The Talking Pie
12-17-2006, 11:37 AM
ERD Commander is essentially a Windows-like OS that you boot from CD. It has utilities to change passwords, do system restores, probably a virus scanner in there somewhere too. You could probably download it off a Torrent site easily.

Using System Restore wouldn't wipe the hard drive, though. By and large it would just replace system settings/files with ones from a recent checkpoint, in theory correcting the problem you have, all without touching your personal data.

The Talking Pie
12-17-2006, 11:42 AM
http://www.mininova.org/tor/276429

There you go. It's a useful tool to have just in case anyway.

Endymion
12-17-2006, 12:37 PM
agreed with the talking pie. though rather than a system restore you could also replace the damaged urlmon.dll with a good one from a different computer (though still the dutch winxp).

Tizzalicious
12-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Alright, so I download that file, burn it on a CD, start my pc with that program and then do a system restore (actually, I have done that some time before, so I know how), or replace the file with a good one? How would I do that though, just copy the one from my parents PC, and paste it in the folder where mine is?

Tizzalicious
12-17-2006, 12:42 PM
My dad just thought of something, would this work:

Find out where the urlmon.dll file is, put it on a disk, and replace mine with the good one in DOS?

Endymion
12-17-2006, 01:00 PM
My dad just thought of something, would this work:

Find out where the urlmon.dll file is, put it on a disk, and replace mine with the good one in DOS?

you can't get into dos. that's why i recommened using the erd commander, which will allow you to replace yours with a good one.

The Talking Pie
12-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Yes. Be wary. I'm assuming you have Windows XP? That is, I'm assuming your disk is formatted as NTFS. Non-Windows OSes that support NTFS are few and far between, and those that do are often read-only. Something in the way of a boot/recovery disk (DOS boot disk, Live Linux CD, etc.) other than a top-range one like ERD probably won't be able to touch the hard drive.

Tizzalicious
12-17-2006, 01:49 PM
Oh...oops. I didn't see you guys reply yet, and my dad decided to try replacing them in dos (I could get in there!), first urlmon.dll, and then another one gave an error...wini...something, so we replaced that too (with the files of my parents computers). Now it's been starting up for aaages...it got further than it did before though, we can see my desktop picture now.

Did I fuck up really bad?

The Talking Pie
12-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Hmm... I'm surprised you got that far. If replacing the files isn't completely fixing the problem though, I'd try doing a system restore to a date when you know that it was working fine.

Tizzalicious
12-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Alright, I think that's the best idea. Would I still have to replace the files though?

It's still trying to start up, so I think I'm gonna end that and try again, and if that doesn't work I'll try using that tool you gave me. Tomorrow though, I need some sleep!

The Talking Pie
12-17-2006, 02:17 PM
No, the system restore should replace all system files itself.

Tizzalicious
12-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Oh alright, that sounds good!

Thanks so much for your help! And Ryan too!

I'll let you know what happened when I tried that.

Tizzalicious
12-17-2006, 02:24 PM
You just proved I have a reason to have you on my ignore list.

Tizzalicious
12-17-2006, 02:29 PM
It was a really dumb question. It's not like my own PC is the only computer in the world that has internet access.

wheelchairman
12-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Ah moody baby. :p
That's really shitty about your computer. Especially because you decided to leave your laptop behind. There is a reason why avast recommends keeping viruses in the chest (I don't know this reason) but that's what I always do. And I never have this problem. :/

Anyways I have to leave in 4 hours and I have so much left to do. (I've written 12 pages for my project, which is a lot more than certain other members so I am no longer guilty at all for their lack of work.) I've written theory and analysis. They are fucked but that is of their own device.

wheelchairman
12-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Well, u coulda told me that u used another computer.

Shouldn't that be your natural assumption?

Tizzalicious
12-17-2006, 11:33 PM
Ah moody baby. :p
That's really shitty about your computer. Especially because you decided to leave your laptop behind. There is a reason why avast recommends keeping viruses in the chest (I don't know this reason) but that's what I always do. And I never have this problem. :/

Anyways I have to leave in 4 hours and I have so much left to do. (I've written 12 pages for my project, which is a lot more than certain other members so I am no longer guilty at all for their lack of work.) I've written theory and analysis. They are fucked but that is of their own device.

Oh my goooooooooooooooooooood, you stayed up until 4,5 hours before you had to leave?

And yes, I wish I brought my laptop now, having to use my parents' PC (I mean, typing on a computer that doesn't start) is a bitch. Sorry you'll have to use this shitty one for the project later too.

Izie
12-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Tizzle did you fix it?
Because I can't recommend you anything beyond what the guys suggested above.

Iz is saying : "wtf is wrong with you, why are you nice?"

Selfish wench!

Edit: "Omg you called me a wench; that's so awesome"

Tizzalicious
12-17-2006, 11:36 PM
He has to be nice, he's afraid I'll steal his woman.

I didn't fix it yet, but I'm gonna try the things they suggested probably later today. Or else I'll let my dad do it when I am with you guys. No stress for me.

Tizzalicious
12-18-2006, 11:16 AM
http://www.mininova.org/tor/276429

There you go. It's a useful tool to have just in case anyway.

I just tried to download it, but it won't load =/

khaaaaan
12-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Hey Tizz, how are you posting if your computer can't start?:confused: :eek: :o

Tizzalicious
12-20-2006, 01:54 AM
Phil phil phil...

Anyway, I have another question: I downloaded ERD commander, but it's an iso file, and I have no idea what to do with it. Do I just burn that on a CD, or do I have to extract it first? If yes, how?

Thanks for the help!

Lars
12-20-2006, 02:32 AM
Burn it onto a CD. There should be an option on the burning software (nero?) to burn (disc) images or iso's, which is what you should select.

Tizzalicious
12-20-2006, 02:40 AM
Okay. I don't know which program my parents use, but I'm sure we can find that option somewhere. Thank you!

The Talking Pie
12-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Yes, as said above, you need to choose an option that sounds similar to 'burn image to disc', not burn the ISO as a file onto the disk.

Tizzalicious
12-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Okies :) My parents are gonna do it, I am about to leave for Canada, so I wanted to go to bed early last night, and I knew I would be up all night if I started trying this! Sooo, I'll just leave it to my parents and the hopefully when I come home it's fixed.