PDA

View Full Version : Band question

Offspring Pyro
12-23-2004, 02:19 PM
how good of a guitarist do you need to be to start an ok band?

VerySarcasticGirl
12-23-2004, 07:03 PM
i think as long as the guitarist is passionate about the guitar, and can play some power chords, they can excell hella!!!

Redman
12-23-2004, 07:08 PM
For an ok band?

Ok.

VerySarcasticGirl
12-23-2004, 07:19 PM
when any band starts out there an okay band, but as long as the musicians are compelled with passion they can excel. Tons of great bands started out playing pure power chords, even Metallica! (ie they were punk when they first started)

Redman
12-23-2004, 07:22 PM
even Metallica! (ie they were punk when they first started)
No. No they weren't, at all.

VerySarcasticGirl
12-23-2004, 07:25 PM
have u heard garage dayz , or there numerous covers of the misfits. One of James Hetfields fav band is Misfits

UgLy_eLf
12-23-2004, 07:31 PM
You can have all the passion in the world and be the worst guitarist on the planet. You want an OK band? Get a guitarist that can switch from chord to chord without background noise, can stay on beat and can make up original tunes, being original and creative is the hardest part of being a rythem guitarist.

Redman
12-23-2004, 07:34 PM
have u heard garage dayz , or there numerous covers of the misfits. One of James Hetfields fav band is Misfits
It doesn't make a blind bit of difference who his favourite bands are.

When they formed they played nothing but Diamond Head covers, then went on to write Kill 'em All.
And they didn't start out playing
pure power chords at all. Kirk Hammet was in Exodus before he joined, and had Joe Satriani as his guitar teacher.

T-6005
12-24-2004, 02:21 AM
Awesome guitarists are the worst. They just want long solos. They're the worst.

You need to be a smooth guitar player, that's all, just to be able to play rhythm guitar decently.

Italian_PsYcHo
12-24-2004, 05:27 AM
when i wanted to start with a band they asked me if i could play the guitar...i said yes....but it was a lie.....i had never played it before....but i bought one and practiced a lot....and i was able to play it in about a month...of course not very well, but enough to play some offspring covers...and then we started
but it depens on what kind of music you want to play.....if you want a band like...rhapsody..sonata arctica..dream theater.....a month of practice is not enough :D

pretty_fly_white_guy858
12-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Uhhhhhh an OK guitarist. lol

StayInTheHouseCarl
12-27-2004, 09:24 PM
you want a guitarist with some skill and technique, but not an ego. :D
otherwise goodbye musicianship, hello ten minute solos.

VerySarcasticGirl
12-27-2004, 10:47 PM
you want a guitarist with some skill and technique, but not an ego. :D
otherwise goodbye musicianship, hello ten minute solos.
THATS SOO FUCKING TRUE!

Satanic_Surfer
12-29-2004, 05:00 AM
Why this discussion? If you need a guitarrist for a Punk Rock band, wich i expect you to, then what's the matter?
if someone can play guitar? Put him on drums, someone already knows how to play drums? make him sing, and if someone knows how to sing? Make him play bass, and the bass guy can play guitar.
Okay there's a full set, make sure they know how to hit inside the circle of a drum and pull the strings of a guitar.
What about Sex Pistols for a well known example?
Could only play 3 chords, did it matter?