PDA

View Full Version : Goddamn I hate being poor.

Omni
12-19-2006, 11:18 AM
My dumb dead-end job gives me an ass-raping for wages. I have no food, and I just had to buy a bad of Doritos with nothing but 4 dollars in quarters. Pwned by life?

What about you guys? Got any exciting careers? Are you going to college for an exciting career? Or are you broke right now just like me.

Lodat225
12-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Im broke. But im underage, so my parents pay for my food.

Just look for a better job then.

Sinister
12-19-2006, 11:25 AM
I've got a wonderful job, 16 hours a week for $270 (USD) every 2 weeks.

And my only expenses are stuff I want to buy + the occasional meal when I forget my lunch, parents still paying for food and the like.

Lodat225
12-19-2006, 11:27 AM
I have no job. I got fired from Hollywood Video because i "fooled" around too much.

Omni
12-19-2006, 11:30 AM
I have been looking for a better job. But I had to apply at 17 places before I got the one I have now. I don't know what the problem is. I never applied at any high-demand jobs, since this was my first one, and after awhile, I eventually ran out of the ones that sounded semi-decent and just started applying anywhere. After awhile, being a broke bum with no job becomes a drag, and you suddenly feel like joining the rest of the productive people in society and stop being a skidmark.

Mota Boy
12-19-2006, 11:33 AM
I have no food, and I just had to buy a bad of Doritos with nothing but 4 dollars in quarters.I had to do something similar during a broke spell. I paid for a pizza with change from around my car, and I had to sneak in a Canadian quarter to be able to afford it.

H1T_That
12-19-2006, 11:34 AM
I earn shitloads fixing diggers and machinery, and also programming the odd robotic device or two.

Omni
12-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Lol, a Canadian quarter. Thats genius.

And good for you, H1t That. Seriously. It's nice to see someone has financial stability. Someone I can envy.

EDIT: These Doritos are freakin' good, though. Almost makes me forget about the fact that I'm poor trash.

sKratch
12-19-2006, 11:41 AM
How old are you? I feel that is an important question.

H1T_That
12-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Lol, a Canadian quarter. Thats genius.

And good for you, H1t That. Seriously. It's nice to see someone has financial stability. Someone I can envy.

EDIT: These Doritos are freakin' good, though. Almost makes me forget about the fact that I'm poor trash.

Do you have any qualifications?

HornyPope
12-19-2006, 11:42 AM
You don't strike me as stupid. Find a better job, unless you live in a rural shithole with no oppertunies.

Omni
12-19-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm 18, college next semester (fast approaching). I did live in a rural shit hole. I use to live in Altus, Arkansas. Those of you who are from America should note that's the town where the 2 whores came to be brutalized in that reality show The Simple Life. I got out of there ASAP.

Um, I don't really have any qualifications. I am going to try some sort of clerical or data-entry job. I could type 86 WPM in the 8th grade, and I can't have gotten any slower. So maybe that'll give me a slight edge. I guess I just haven't found what I'm good at. I was thinking Journalism as my major in College. I was also considering being a chef :D

UgLy_eLf
12-19-2006, 11:52 AM
I work at BURGER KING! ..hoooorayyyy.

Tizzalicious
12-19-2006, 11:53 AM
I'm on disability. It was a niiiice amount when I lived at home permanently, but now I am in Denmark all the time it just sucks. Being on on 70% of minimum Dutch wages while spending your money in Denmark with crazy taxes, does not work out well.

sKratch
12-19-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm 18, college next semester (fast approaching). I did live in a rural shit hole. I use to live in Altus, Arkansas. Those of you who are from America should note that's the town where the 2 whores came to be brutalized in that reality show The Simple Life. I got out of there ASAP.

Um, I don't really have any qualifications. I am going to try some sort of clerical or data-entry job. I could type 86 WPM in the 8th grade, and I can't have gotten any slower. So maybe that'll give me a slight edge. I guess I just haven't found what I'm good at. I was thinking Journalism as my major in College. I was also considering being a chef :D

If you want to invest a lot of time in your studies, and take them pretty seriously, I recommend trying as hard as possible to have enough money to not need a job during the semester. It can get pretty hectic, and I've seen grades suffer because of it. Good luck.

Omni
12-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the advice man. I'm going to try to get a grant and loan or something. That way I can pay off the loan after college and I can kind of live off the grant for a little while. Eh, I dunno. I got a lot of stuf to straighten out. I dunno what the hell to do. That's probably a bad idea, isn't it?

Camel Filters
12-19-2006, 12:12 PM
I'm never going to be poor. I have 2 jobs. I work 40 hours a week making $9.75. Plus I get paid for the holidays even though I don't work. I work weekends at subway. I just spent 3 thousand on a new car, 2 thousand on a new motor for the car. and I still have 6 thousand combined in my savings and checking.

Omni
12-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Too bad you have to work 2 jobs to achieve that.

sKratch
12-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Yeah figuring out how to pay for college isn't fun. If you get a loan, fixed rate is usually better than adjustable, definitely use FAFSA to find financial aid, and select the option to not have to repay your loans till after you're done with school.

Omni
12-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Eh, I'll figure something out. If ever I feel like it's too much, I guess I could just tell myself that millions of people do what I'm doing every day, and almost all of them find a way to work it out. Then I'll feel like a pussy and find renewed motivation. Thanks for the help.

adombomb222
12-19-2006, 12:25 PM
I work for one of my momís clients in Chicago and I make $100+ every 2 weeks. I'm only 15 so I don't have a real job, and my mom pays for my food and all that good stuff, so I donít have to worry about that. All I have to worry about is school, when I get into college I'm going to major in marine science, and minor in philosophy and writing.

Mota Boy
12-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Shit man, move to Fayetteville/Springdale/etc. if you aren't already there. That's one of the best markets in the country right now for high-paying jobs, not to mention that Dickson street is the best nightlife in the state.

Rag Doll
12-19-2006, 06:24 PM
It is possible to work and go to school. I'm a junior in college (fulltime) and I work nearly fulltime (30-40hrs a week). It kinda sucks around finals, but it is indeed do-able...

i say as i procrastinate about starting a 15pg paper due tomorrow that i have known about for a month...

butyeah. i'm doing pretty decent financially. unfortunately, i can't afford to move out, but thats really not surprising considering the area i live in. *shrug*

Omni
12-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Lol! I do live in Springdale. Been there have you?

Little_Miss_1565
12-19-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm never going to be poor. I have 2 jobs. I work 40 hours a week making $9.75. Plus I get paid for the holidays even though I don't work. I work weekends at subway. I just spent 3 thousand on a new car, 2 thousand on a new motor for the car. and I still have 6 thousand combined in my savings and checking.

How old are you? I couldn't live on $9.75 an hour. I'm barely living on what I make at my office job that comes out to roughtly $15 an hour.

Paint_It_Black
12-19-2006, 07:31 PM
I'm barely living on what I make at my office job that comes out to roughtly $15 an hour.

Well, NY prices must account for some of that.

I was able to live off of $7.25 an hour, working pretty much full time. It sucked, but I got by.

One of my friends makes something like $15 an hour and he just bought a house.

Omni
12-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Yeah, rent around here can be as low as 300-something a month, for a decent apartment. New York on the other hand. Well, I've never been there, but I've heard legends about 1,200 a month 1-bedroom apartments.

Paint_It_Black
12-19-2006, 07:39 PM
My rent is $520, utilities included. That's for a two-bedroom apartment in downtown Topeka, KS.

Little_Miss_1565
12-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Christ, I'm living in the wrong city.

sKratch
12-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Nuh uh. It's been scientifically proven that it's more likely you'll have sex with me if you're in NYC than somewhere farther away.

Rag Doll
12-19-2006, 07:47 PM
yeah, i agree with Sarah. low-income apartments here are like $1000/month at the lowest. pfft.

Little_Miss_1565
12-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Nuh uh. It's been scientifically proven that it's more likely you'll have sex with me if you're in NYC than somewhere farther away.

does this same science prove that your wang is more than 8 inches AROUND?

Mota Boy
12-19-2006, 08:21 PM
I do live in Springdale. Been there have you?Most of my friends from home go/went to the U of A, and I was just up there this past October for the SEMO game.

Omni
12-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Well, that's pretty awesome. Where do you live?

But, you're right. This area is, by percentage, the largest growing in the country, and there's really no excuse for me to be so miserable when I have so many potential opportunities. Tomorrow is my day off, I'm gonna start looking for better jobs. I've had it with this shit. Thanks for the inspiration, everyone.

Paint_It_Black
12-19-2006, 08:28 PM
I should have also mentioned that my apartment is the cheapest I could find in the whole city that's still decent. And by decent, I pretty much just mean it was clean and had no really important structural damage. It is a fairly crappy apartment, but the price is oh so right.

Lodat225
12-19-2006, 08:45 PM

Damn. But that is alot of work.

Sin Studly
12-19-2006, 08:53 PM
I'm broke too, but at least I don't have Crohns disease, loser.

Omni
12-19-2006, 08:54 PM
That breaks my heart. But not as badly as Crohn's Disease broke my intestine.

Mota Boy
12-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Well, that's pretty awesome. Where do you live?
I'm from El Dorado, but I'm currently living in Nashville.

Omni
12-19-2006, 09:26 PM
El Dorado, very southern, right? I take it you:re attending college in Nashville or somethig. Or some other motivation for moving there?

Izie
12-19-2006, 09:52 PM
...I work 20h/week for about 400$/week. On a really bad week it'll be 300, and on the good ones it goes over 500. After taxes. Then again, I work on comission so it's a little trickier, but hey, it works just fine for me. Although the more I make the more taxes they make me pay, obviously. The bastards.

And yeah, that's in CAD.