PDA

View Full Version : Hair dying question

DeAtHsTaR
12-20-2006, 05:07 PM
So, I've decided to be different from all the people in my town and dye my hiar dark blue. Does anyone know how long this would last? I have medium-shade brown hair. I'm looking at you, Shelby. (Does she even post anymore?)

*Waits for comment on how tru punx I am, which I'm really not*

Paint_It_Black
12-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Just do it and find out.

DeAtHsTaR
12-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Just do it and find out.

True, but I don't want to spend $15 and find out it only lasts a couple weeks.

Lodat225
12-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Why? It's only $15.00 bucks. Just spend $15 dollars more when it fades out... over, and over again. Although, i don't think that's healthy.

DeAtHsTaR
12-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Why? It's only $15.00 bucks.

And i don't have a job, and business is slow for my dad around this time of year.

Paint_It_Black
12-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Wouldn't it tell you stuff like that on the bottle? Or you could try asking in the store.

That's the best I can do.

DeAtHsTaR
12-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Wouldn't it tell you stuff like that on the bottle? Or you could try asking in the store.

That's the best I can do.
Okay, thanks.

Lodat225
12-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Clerks are idiots. Just try it out. If it works, good. If it doesn't, save up money and try something else. What's the worst that could happen?

Paint_It_Black
12-20-2006, 05:26 PM
What's the worst that could happen?

He could waste $15, and he's already clearly stated he doesn't want to risk it.

Lodat225
12-20-2006, 05:27 PM
You don't have to quote me, i'm right above you.

Paint_It_Black
12-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Lodat, stop giving people advice on how to post, kthxbi.

DeAtHsTaR
12-20-2006, 05:29 PM
You don't have to quote me, i'm right above you.

Shut the fuck up, mongoloid.

Lodat225
12-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Shut the fuck up, mongoloid.

What the fuck? You people need to chill the fuck out.

DeAtHsTaR
12-20-2006, 06:16 PM
What the fuck? You people need to chill the fuck out.

I will if you stop being so annoying.

Apathy
12-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Only way for it to turn out exactly how you want it and last long is to bleach blond your hair first.
I dye my hair crazy colors often (or at least I used to). Go to walgreens and try to pick up something called the Ultimate Blonding Kit. Might cost you ten dollars. Follow the instructions in that until you can get your hair as light as possible.
If they don't have the kit, then just try to find some alternative. Should work with anything, but in my experience thats the best as you can get any shade of blond you want.

Then once your hair is dry, dye your hair the color you actually want it. Over the past three years my hair has been blue, pink, green, and purple.

I actually would suggest against dying your hair in the first place though. Crazily colored hair looks awful unless you already have an obscure haircut. (Ex: Blue Hair = icky. Blue Mohawk = fine)

DeAtHsTaR
12-20-2006, 07:38 PM
I've seen strange-colored hair on normal haircuts, and they look fine, depending on the person's face really. I'll photoshop some pics later with my hair in like 5 different colors and you guys should tell me what's best.

EDIT: I have to wait a month or so though as I just got a haircut and I need to wait till my hair is at least eye-length.

DOUBLE EDIT: WHat hairstyle did you have when you dyed your hair?

Little_Miss_1565
12-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Like Apathy said, it's best on bleached hair because the damage bleaching does makes the dye stay in longer. It still won't stay in for very long. A week tops, and that's if you don't wash your hair for that week. Besides, a thing of Manic Panic will last a dude like 4 dye jobs, so it's not like you're spending $15 to look trupunx for a week. Punx are poor, remember.

DeAtHsTaR
12-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Like Apathy said, it's best on bleached hair because the damage bleaching does makes the dye stay in longer. It still won't stay in for very long. A week tops, and that's if you don't wash your hair for that week. Besides, a thing of Manic Panic will last a dude like 4 dye jobs, so it's not like you're spending $15 to look trupunx for a week. Punx are poor, remember.
Really? I've heard that in some cases, the dye can last up to a month on one dying, you just have to touch up the roots?

Little_Miss_1565
12-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Really? I've heard that in some cases, the dye can last up to a month on one dying, you just have to touch up the roots?

Normal hairdye, sure. Not Manic Panic. That shit comes out so fast.

Apathy
12-20-2006, 07:49 PM
It still won't stay in for very long. A week tops, and that's if you don't wash your hair for that week.

If this is true for you, then you're buying the wrong stuff.
Mine didn't fade at all for at least two months and it only cost me ten dollars. I showered about every other day.

Of course, it could depend on hair types, et cetera.

WHat hairstyle did you have when you dyed your hair?
I've cycled through many different hairstyles... mohawks and whatnot. However in the end, I'm happier with more of a conventional haircut.

Lodat225
12-20-2006, 07:49 PM
I will if you stop being so annoying.

What did i say?? I just said he doesn't have to quote me, and just for that im annoying and mongolic?

DeAtHsTaR
12-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Mine didn't fade at all for at least two months and it only cost me ten dollars. I showered about every other day.

What did you use? I shower every weekday, but I usually am too tired on Saturday to take a shower.

Little_Miss_1565
12-20-2006, 08:00 PM

And you were using Manic Panic?

Rag Doll
12-20-2006, 08:39 PM
I used...ummm....possibly Manic Panic. It was something called Cupcake Pink that they sold at Hot Topic like 4 or 5 years ago. I only dyed the tips of my hair pink...and it looked good for like...a week. And then it was all faded and orangey looking and I couldn't be fucked to constantly redye it to make it look nice.

You could always do a blue/black. Thats what I dye my hair with, and it has a noticeable hint of dark blue to it for the first few weeks or so. I spend like $8-10 per kit...and it doesnt fade to a gross color like blue hairdye will.

Apathy
12-20-2006, 08:50 PM
I do not think it was Manic Panic, because I've never heard of that.
I think I've still got some, I'll look for the bottle now.

I bought it (embarrassingly enough) at hot topic. Couldn't really find another cheap alternative.

Edit: "Raw Color - Candy Pink" is the bottle I still have of some.
I actually took a picture but this cheap computer doesn't have a spot for the memory card thingy.

DeAtHsTaR
12-20-2006, 09:47 PM
You could always do a blue/black. Thats what I dye my hair with, and it has a noticeable hint of dark blue to it for the first few weeks or so. I spend like $8-10 per kit...and it doesnt fade to a gross color like blue hairdye will.
Sounds good, but is it more black than blue? I want a dark blue, but I don't want it looking emo. (Fake Black)

DeAtHsTaR
12-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Anyone have experience with Punky Colors har dye? It's cheap ($7.99) and it looks good. I'm scoping out the midnight blue. If I bleach my hair first, should it last about a month?

Rag Doll
12-20-2006, 10:05 PM
it's more of a dark blue at first, at least on my hair. you prolly will end up looking "emo" though....

and your hair dye WILL last a month...just not as dark blue. it'll eventually fade to a greenish color. hence why you may need to redye it every week, with stuff like manic panic and whatnot.

DeAtHsTaR
12-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Whoa, something I'm reading says that for blue shades, I might require FOUR bleachings, AKA white hair? Or are they blowing smoke out of their ass?

Rag Doll
12-20-2006, 10:14 PM
no, you could. because if your hair is too blonde (like a golden/yellowy/or ashy color) it could turn green.

Little_Miss_1565
12-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Anyone have experience with Punky Colors har dye? It's cheap ($7.99) and it looks good. I'm scoping out the midnight blue. If I bleach my hair first, should it last about a month?

If it's "after midnight blue," don't use it on bleached hair. That's what I used when I had smurf hair, back when my hair was bleached white. And that shit came out really, really fast and faded in like 3 colors.

DeAtHsTaR
12-20-2006, 11:37 PM
Okay, how would Midnight Blue work in my non-bleached hair? SOrry for all the questions, I'm just really interested.

Little_Miss_1565
12-23-2006, 02:51 PM
Okay, how would Midnight Blue work in my non-bleached hair? SOrry for all the questions, I'm just really interested.

It would probably look dark. It's just going to come out fast, be forewarned, and it's not going to have full coverage.

DeAtHsTaR
04-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have a question. I got some free blue/black dye from my friend. So I was wondering, in my medium brown hair, what would the effect be? I want it to be dark blue, but not so dark that you can't tell it's blue.

Tizzalicious
04-07-2007, 10:46 AM
If you want it to stay longer, mix some of the dye with your shampoo and conditioner, and leave your conditioner in for like 15 minutes every time you wash it.

That kept my pink (on bleached hair) pretty for months, I usually had to re-dye because my roots were showing rather than because is faded, because it didn't, or hardly.

Dark blue however, won't stay dark of course, because it'll always get a little lighter, which means regular blue, or like Sarah said, smurf blue.

And if you won't bleach it, it'll be too dark to notice at all, and fade too fast.

BurningSnake
04-07-2007, 12:09 PM
ive dyed my hair dark blue once and it only lasted for about 2 and half wee os so
So yeah its a waste of money, time, and hair color

DeAtHsTaR
04-07-2007, 12:38 PM
ive dyed my hair dark blue once and it only lasted for about 2 and half wee os so
So yeah its a waste of money, time, and hair color

But I got mine free last night. What I'm afraid of is that it'll dye my hair jet black and it won't come out.

Edit: My dye (punky colors) smells like grape juice or something. Is my friend trying to pranx on mi?

BurningSnake
04-07-2007, 12:43 PM
well if that happens u should dye ur hair back to normal
if that doesnt work well........
u can try to die ur hair

Little_Miss_1565
04-07-2007, 03:03 PM
But I got mine free last night. What I'm afraid of is that it'll dye my hair jet black and it won't come out.

Edit: My dye (punky colors) smells like grape juice or something. Is my friend trying to pranx on mi?

If it's Punky Colour your friend gave you, you'd be lucky if it lasts a week. It will wash out--and fast--unless it's marked "permanent."

DeAtHsTaR
04-07-2007, 03:07 PM
If it's Punky Colour your friend gave you, you'd be lucky if it lasts a week. It will wash out--and fast--unless it's marked "permanent."

He says it lasted him 3 or 4 weeks, in regular blue. And darker colors last longer.

What I think I'm gonna do is cut my hair to 3 inches or so, throw all caution to the wind and dye it and hope it turns out decent. Then I'm going to start spiking it, eventually get Liberty Spikes when it's a few inches longer. (Not Liberty Spiked Mohawk, the other kind of spikes) Of course I'll have to dye it again then. How many dyes can I get out of a jar of punky? It's almost full. Remember my hair isn't that long.

goonadie1day
04-07-2007, 04:26 PM
So, I've decided to be different from all the people in my town and dye my hiar dark blue. Does anyone know how long this would last? I have medium-shade brown hair. I'm looking at you, Shelby. (Does she even post anymore?)

*Waits for comment on how tru punx I am, which I'm really not*

If you want it to last longer... bleach your hair before you do it. You can get the bleach at Sally Beauty Supply if your in the US... i didnt check.

ive used Manic Panic in Cotton Candy Pink and it lasted for a long ass time. I had to re-bleach to get it all out... and then i went back to brunette, if your wanting dark blue i would go Manic Panic Black and Blue... its a really pretty color.

But wait a day after bleaching to dye it..