PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Show and The Colbert Report

adombomb222
12-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Ok, I’ve been staying up late for the past, oh maybe 2 and a half weeks? And I watch The Daily Show With John Stewart and then The Colbert Report; I have to say they are the two best “news” show ever. They are news shows, just making fun of what happens in the news. So I wanted to know what the BBS though of the shows. Tonight on the Colbert Report, Stephen is going to have a guitar contest with the lead guitarist of The Decembrist. But I also love Stephen's show, because he brings on a guest who has written a book and makes fun of the book right in front of them, but it has gotten me interested in some of the books. And on the Daily Show one recent line caught my attention as very funny. John was talking about the president’s speech on what to do in Iraq, and he said, before showing the clip, “Ok, now president, tell me what we are going to do. And talk to me like I’m a six-year-old!” I found that extremely funny, cause it did sound like he (the president) was speaking to a bunch of six year olds.

Oh and I put this in politics because the show mostly talks about the government. Move it if you want, I couldn’t care less.

0r4ng3
12-20-2006, 08:33 PM
It's Stephen Colbert. Stephen.

Oh, and I love both shows. I don't have to stay up to watch them, though. I just watch them at 2 and 2:30 the next day.

adombomb222
12-20-2006, 08:35 PM

Oh, and I love both shows. I don't have to stay up to watch them, though. I just watch them at 2 and 2:30 the next day.

Ok, thanks I wasn't sure what his name was, David sound right.

It's on at 11:00 and 11:30.

WebDudette
12-20-2006, 08:42 PM
I like The Daily Show, I really haven't watch The Colbert Report but I hear good things about it.

opivy21
12-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Yeah, they're good.

EMehl6
12-20-2006, 09:12 PM
They kick ass. Probably one of the few reliable news sources left. How sad is that?

Venom Symbiote
12-21-2006, 04:54 AM
They kick ass. Probably one of the few reliable news sources left. How sad is that?

Exaggeration.

Meh, we don't get Colbert's show here (just his 30 second segment at the end of Jon's program), but The Daily Show is great. Completely biased, but hilarity to the max.

Not Ozymandias
12-21-2006, 05:19 AM
I hate the Daily Show. It's basically the same tired news jokes that every late-night talk show/Saturday Night Live does, except it's "edgy" for whatever reason.
The Colbert Report is spectacular, though.

Vera
12-21-2006, 05:35 AM
I dislike most of the current batch of correspondents of TDS. I miss Ed Helms and Rob Cordry and Colbert. Rob Riggle is not funny in the least and Dan Bakkedahl and Jason Jones have their moments but they're not on enough nowadays. Samantha Bee I never "got".

TCR is fantastic, true.

Venom Symbiote
12-21-2006, 06:01 AM
Rob Cordry and Sam Bee are pure awesome.

Not a big fan of the others, though. Dave Gorman and the other Brit dude are kinda funny, but not great.

Paint_It_Black
12-21-2006, 08:44 AM

And Jon Stewart. Jon.

I love both shows, though I haven't actually watched The Daily Show in a long time. Colbert Report started off disappointing but didn't take long to become amazing. Or maybe it's that it didn't take me long to understand that it was amazing. I'm not sure. I'd have to see early episodes again to know.

EMehl6
12-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Meh, we don't get Colbert's show here (just his 30 second segment at the end of Jon's program), but The Daily Show is great. Completely biased, but hilarity to the max.

YouTube that shit. I think the Colbert Report is actually funnier than the Daily Show, and I "lol" quite frequently when watching the Daily Show.

JohnnyNemesis
12-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Or maybe it's that it didn't take me long to understand that it was amazing. I'm not sure.

Nah, it's just that it took him a little while to hit his stride. But it was a very short time indeed. The Colbert Report is unbelievable.

And as far as Colbert goes, I still get hard when I remember when he megapwned GW Bush pretty much in front of his face at that White House dinner. Oh GOD it was amazing.

EMehl6
12-21-2006, 11:37 AM
And as far as Colbert goes, I still get hard when I remember when he megapwned GW Bush pretty much in front of his face at that White House dinner. Oh GOD it was amazing.

Dammit, I missed that somehow. Is it on YouTube?

JohnnyNemesis
12-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Yes. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=VpB7Ljp2F-w)

Yes it is. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ac24aJxsXEQ)

WebDudette
12-21-2006, 12:00 PM
That was hillarious. I really should watch The Colbert Report more often, I've seen mabey 2 full episodes. Alot of people tell me to watch it.

EMehl6
12-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Thank you for that. Dear God, that was amazing. Colbert is a brave, brave man.

Vera
12-21-2006, 02:52 PM
ComedyCentral's Motherload (http://comedycentral.com) is super-annoying with ads but I can live with that to get my news felt for me.

jacknife737
12-21-2006, 03:06 PM
I love both. I still can't get over some of the stuff that that Colbert says, sheer awesomeness.

Venom Symbiote
12-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Hmm, interesting...

I thought Comedy Central pulled all of their clips from YouTube? There was some kind of uproar about that a month or two ago.

And yeah, I used to watch some of Colbert's extended clips on YouTube, I've just never seen the full show. Is it a half hour like Stewart's?

And wasn't Colbert a writer on Wayne's World or some shit? Or was that just working with Dana Carvey on his skit show?

JohnnyNemesis
12-21-2006, 04:15 PM
That wasn't a Comedy Central clip. It was some real shit that went down at the White House Press Dinner.

EMehl6
12-21-2006, 04:34 PM
And yeah, I used to watch some of Colbert's extended clips on YouTube, I've just never seen the full show. Is it a half hour like Stewart's?

Yeah, half hour of magical-ness. It isn't enough.

And wasn't Colbert a writer on Wayne's World or some shit? Or was that just working with Dana Carvey on his skit show?

I have no idea, I know he was in a sketch comedy thing with Samantha Bee called "Strangers With Candy", though.

Jakebert
12-21-2006, 05:04 PM
It wasn't a sketch comedy show, it was a sitcom, and it wasn't Samatha Bee. It was some lady I don't know her name offhand.

Anyway, the Daily Show has been going downhill for a year or so now, but still when it wants to it can be genius. Ex: Any bit with John Hodgeman. The new correspondants aren't all that great. John Oliver (the British guy) is the only one I really like.

Colbert, on the other hand, is genius. The source material he has is endless, and he himself is just an amazing actor, and great at playing that kind of character.

Vera
12-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Anyway, the Daily Show has been going downhill for a year or so now, but still when it wants to it can be genius. Ex: Any bit with John Hodgeman. The new correspondants aren't all that great. John Oliver (the British guy) is the only one I really like.

Colbert, on the other hand, is genius. The source material he has is endless, and he himself is just an amazing actor, and great at playing that kind of character.

Agreed 100%. Hodgman rocks my world. I actually re-watched his bit on the Mohammed cartoon controversy and the India/Pakistan thing several times. They never fail to crack me up.

Myspace Trendspotting was pretty funny, as well.

Not Ozymandias
12-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Here's mass-murdering psychopath Henry Kissinger having his book promoted on The Daily Show:

http://www.lisarein.com/daily/10-20-03-kissinger-2-sm.jpg

To say the least, Cambodia and Chile were not mentioned. Jon Stewart sucks.

Mota Boy
12-22-2006, 12:58 PM
I've met Henry Kissinger before. He seemed like a warm, loving soul.

JohnnyNemesis
12-22-2006, 01:01 PM
I'm sure he can be warm and loving in the micro, but has shown he is definitely a mass-murdering psychopath in the macro.

EMehl6
12-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Anyone catch the "Shred Off" between Colbert and the Decemberists? Good stuff.

adombomb222
12-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Anyone catch the "Shred Off" between Colbert and the Decemberists? Good stuff.

That was so funny.

Venom Symbiote
12-22-2006, 07:49 PM
That wasn't a Comedy Central clip. It was some real shit that went down at the White House Press Dinner.

Yeah, no shit. I guess I was kind of figuring it would have been broadcast on Comedy Central and that's where the clip came from. Although I wasn't exactly paying attention, as the actual content was too fucking funny.

JohnnyNemesis
12-25-2006, 01:04 AM
It was broadcast on C-Span. And yes, it was hilarious!

Little_Miss_1565
12-25-2006, 08:51 AM
I have no idea, I know he was in a sketch comedy thing with Samantha Bee called "Strangers With Candy", though.

It wasn't a sketch comedy show, it was a sitcom, and it wasn't Samatha Bee. It was some lady I don't know her name offhand.

"Strangers with Candy" stars the incomparable Amy Sedaris. It is the best show ever made.

JohnnyNemesis
12-25-2006, 08:53 AM
If by "best" you mean "most unbelievably overrated but still pretty good", I'd be inclined to agree. Amy Sedaris is good peoples for sure.

Vera
12-25-2006, 10:56 AM
I didn't "get" much of what I watched of Strangers with Candy on YouTube. I found some of it very funny but not all of it, no.

Omni
12-25-2006, 11:40 AM
Her brother, David, is a good author, also. Read "Naked"

JohnnyNemesis
12-25-2006, 12:16 PM
I loves me some David Sedaris. He gets me in touch with white folk, lololol.

Seriously though, he's good. He read at my school last year, and it was both hilarious and super interesting.

XYlophonetreeZ
12-25-2006, 12:46 PM
David Sedaris is full of win. Plus, he educates the rest of the world on the bizarre intricacies of Raleigh, North Carolina. Makes me feel a little special.

His brother, Paul, whom he frequently writes about, owns a hardwood floor company here in town and I sometimes see the Sedaris trucks driving around.

Omni
12-25-2006, 01:03 PM
David Sedaris spoke at your school? I've never envied anyone on this Forums more in my entire life.

JohnnyNemesis
12-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Yeah, we get some pretty kick ass people here. In my time here alone we got Saul Williams, David Sedaris, and Howard Zinn, not to mention the music: Ratatat, Le Tigre, The Blow, Wyclef Jean, Talib Kweli, Dead Prez, M.I.A, The Dismemberment Plan, etc.

Omni
12-25-2006, 01:08 PM
"Awesometown" definitely fits your Location.

XYlophonetreeZ
12-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I saw him speak at a local bookstore. He lives in New York now, but he's very true to his roots. I think he comes by fairly often.

Little_Miss_1565
12-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Wooooo. The Sedaris clan has moved on from Clayton to Raleigh proper now? Sweet.

I've got family out that way as well.

Vera
01-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Yo dudes, did any of you watch Tuesday's show and see the bit about Rosie and Trump and the Indian movie star feud?

If yes, did you find it funny? Results may be used for later scientific research,

Speakeasy
01-11-2007, 10:21 PM
The Rosie/Trump crap is a ploy for attention because no one likes either of them, if they ever did.