PDA

View Full Version : Hoilday/winter Traditions.

adombomb222
12-20-2006, 09:15 PM
What are your holiday/winter traditions or rituals? Do you hang out with friends, go skiing, make/eat special foods?

I:
Go snowboarding
Snowball fights down in the fields (if there is snow, which there is this year)
Make snowmen
Snow bike down in the fields and creek jumps
Ice skate on Bubble Pond (itís very stupid)
Ice swim, in Bubble Pond (see)
Make a movie with my friends from Kansas, because they come and visit during winter (the movie thing started last year)
Make igloos if there is enough snow

Nineteen Seventy Nine
12-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Being immature with friends and roam around at night. I remember just throwing iceballs at garage doors, making reindeer-lights hump eachother, rolling as many snowman balls as possible into a huge ball in the middle of the road, and knocking down the three kings from all of the nativity scenes.

Heck, we might do it this year too. It really never gets old.
--
Sledding on the golf course, always fun. You make ramps, and you see who can jump over the most kids on a sled.

adombomb222
12-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Sledding on the golf course, always fun. You make ramps, and you see who can jump over the most kids on a sled.

Oh thats a good idea, I'm going to have to do that with my friends this year.

Anya82
12-21-2006, 04:49 PM
It's a rule for my family to spend it together. On Xmas eve, we have our dinner not too late, we RARELY have visits on 24th. Most of the time, we eat turkey, mashed potatoes, and some traditional food: tamales (http://www.mrnatural-austin.com/tamales.jpg) and champurrado (http://www.caciqueusa.com/images/plate_shots/small/220.jpg) (some kind of hot chocolate).
After dinner, we watch some movies.

SkunkIt
12-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Usally wake up early with family and sometimes relatives to open presents, watch T.V. and eat a big ass lunch or dinner. I don't think we have any traditional foods, either, but usally there's turkey and green beans of some sort but there's definitely alot of cookie varieties and this year we baked some Baklava, which I love.

Duskygrin
12-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Miam, baklava.

My Noël Ritual

Wake up late. Play between the sheets. Get up. Drag feet to bathroom. Open my eyes, yawn a few dozen times. Remember I have to eat breakfast before washing face. Go eat breakfast. Go back to bathroom. Brush teeth energetically, bathe face tenderly. Apply crèmes. Get dressed. Rub my hands, chortle with glee to myself "it's christmas, christmas, christmas!" I say in a chirrupy voice. Go see if mom needs help for cooking lunch. Silkily afford my little help. Get rebuked & kicked out of the kitchen. With a buttache (on chritmas day!) go see daddy. He's watching tellly. "do you need help watching TV?" I ask with a grin. He looks at me, & eye-kicks me too. I borrow his newspaper & go to my room to read it. Then I look out the window & decide I'll go see if my sweet-tempered brother is awake. Open his door. He yells at me. Close his door. Go to room & read for a bit. Stretch & grab phone. Switch it on. Couple greetings message. Bf with family, some friends with family, some friends available. Call them. Make appointment after lunch. By this time lunch is ready. Go eat lunch with parents & sweet-tempered brother. Full belly. Wash teeth, take a nap. Get up for said appointment; spend some time with friends. Go back home. It's around 8:30 pm, time for the family film. Watch it, have fun with parents & sweet-tempered brother. Laugh my ass off/Weep my eyes off, depending on the film. Then go to bed.

StayInTheHouseCarl
12-22-2006, 12:59 PM
the Vandals Christmas Formal show has been my newer holiday tradition.

Mota Boy
12-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Every year on the 22nd, my family throws a big Christmas party. It usually starts around seven and goes until ten thirty or so, and most everyone gets totally hammered in the process, then afterwards there are usually several afterparties for the young crowd. It's hellafun. After the party, we scramble to put all our gifts under the tree.

Also, we usually go down and see my grandmother, as her birthday is on the 26th. This year she's gonna be in N'awlins. For New Years, several of my friends go to a Widespread Panic concert in Atlanta, and I'm debating whether or not to tag along this year.

Christmas Eve we used to go to church, but now they started getting serious about having an actual service, so we've reverted to heathenism. We go over to my great-aunts for a Christmas party with second cousins and other long-lost relatives. We eat dinner, make conversation with people who know our names but whose names we can never remember, and cap it off by singing Christmas carols by the fireside while a cousin bangs 'em out on a piano, capping it off with "The Twelve Days of Christmas", complete with flashcards for each day. I just realized how anachronistically traditional that actually sounds.

Afterwards, we go to the Anthony's Christmas party for some more food and booze, then back to our place. A childless couple that's good friends with my parents comes over. They used to help mom and dad put together our toys when we were little, but now we all hang out. We hang up our stockings (by the chimney with care) and gather around our dad, who reads us "The Night Before Christmas", and we drink champagne and eat caviar.

On X-Mas morning we wake up early, and my siblings usually gather in my room until we think it's OK to wake mom and dad up, usually about seven or eight or so. Then we go down and jump on their bed for a bit in a vain attempt to roust them from their long winter nap. About nine or ten, we all run into the family room together to see what Santa brought us (tragedy! Santa stopped coming last year). We're all wearing bathrobes, as mom makes coffee and a friend of ours brings around un-fucking-believable pastries. We devour the confections and take turns opening presents. Afterwards, if we're invited (it varies by the year, depending on whether or not another branch of the family is feuding with us), we go over to my dad's cousin's house for Christmas brunch with perhaps two dozen family members.

It's a good day.

Lizardus
12-22-2006, 01:32 PM
Freezing to death is a good winter tradition.

Overworked & Underfucked
12-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Beer-bogganing!!!!

Grabbal
12-22-2006, 05:23 PM
- Breaking something when snowboarding
- No snow is becoming a tradition
- Celebrating it at my grandparents

ninthlayer
12-22-2006, 05:56 PM
On Christmas Eve I always go to my grandparent's house for chili and ridiculous Christmas games that my grandma invents. I usually end up speaking to my sister and her fiance exclusively and recieve the good old stink-eye from my grandma.

Christmas morning we all meet up at my parent's house at an ungodly hour in the morning (like, 8 AM) for presents and breakfast. Sometimes I stick around for lunch, like I will be this year. Oh yeah, and I'm going to be delusional and anti-social because I'm driving to my parent's place as soon as I get off on Christmas day, so like, no sleep for me.

After we open presents my family likes to give me shit for not having a long term girlfriend to bring over for Christmas and all that gay shit.

It doesn't even really seem like Christmas anymore because there's absolutely no build to it at all. As a kid I got really excited about this time of year but now it's just the beginning of winter and nothing all that exciting. I'm working Christmas Eve, Christmas, and the day afterwards.

However, I still celebrate New Year's and will be taking the evening off of work. It's nice that one holiday is specifically about getting fucked up and being promiscuous.